shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark,
Based on that one picture alone, the colour is intense with a hint of orange secondary. Since AJS will no longer take additional pictures for lower priced stones, I suggest purchasing your spinel elsewhere.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 10:19:34 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
The red spinel was only $450, so I couldn''t wrangle any additional pics from them, so I figured it''s better to be safe than sorry!

however you did get that extra 1 photo of the stone upside down that you posted in your very first post right?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 11:02:18 AM
Author: haagen_dazs

Date: 11/11/2009 10:19:34 AM
The red spinel was only $450, so I couldn't wrangle any additional pics from them, so I figured it's better to be safe than sorry!

however you did get that extra 1 photo of the stone upside down that you posted in your very first post right?
I had literally JUST bought the Spess . . . so Rung may have been pretty open to taking additional pictures with the possibility of $1,300+ coming in the door from one person. Or he already had that upside down picture laying around. I don't know. I just know I didn't get the additional pics I asked for.

I asked for one outside, and Rung wouldn't/couldn't do it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark AJS stopped providing additional photos a while ago. I made a significant purchase a few months back with them and they wouldn''t give me extra photos either. I''m afraid you have to make your decision on what''s on their website. Their return policy is good though.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand from the business perspective why some vendors will not want to take more photos.
They have to set up the equipment or set the stone up for a photo shoot again etc etc.
Perhaps they dont think its worth while business wise.

Anyways. Thanks for to LTP and LD for sharing your real life experience.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 11:18:12 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Mark AJS stopped providing additional photos a while ago. I made a significant purchase a few months back with them and they wouldn''t give me extra photos either. I''m afraid you have to make your decision on what''s on their website. Their return policy is good though.
hi LD
I tried to search function but it doesnt have the best search algorithm code.
What did you buy and did you end up keeping it?

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 7:50:02 AM
Author: Chrono
Mewdin,

What are the carat weights on those? The colours are so intense, almost to the point of looking artificial.

Chrono, the first one is 2.07cts, the second is 2.21cts and the last one 1.91cts. Yeah they look even more beautiful than the pictures. the color is truly amazing. Let me know if you need anything else.

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 7:50:02 AM
Mewdin,

What are the carat weights on those? The colours are so intense, almost to the point of looking artificial.

Chrono, The last one i attached is 1.64. the pictures file name with numeric are the carat weights.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medwin,
Those look like a vendor’s pictures. Do you have your own pictures or are you the vendor? Sorry for so many questions because the pictures look as though they have been photoshopped.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 10:18:40 AM

could someone refresh my memory on what are the $$/ct for different grades spinel?

Wildfish has a list of $/ct prices but i just wanted to gather people''s opinions

webpricing from wildfish
Thanks for posting that price guide from Wildfish. I haven''t seen it before, or anything similar, and it certainly is helpful. But for the more experienced posters here, do you think that''s fair/recommended pricing? Or...?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pricing structure looks about right. The difficulty for the consumer using the guide is in trying to distinguish which category a gemstone falls under. It''s sort of like a layperson trying to negotiate diamond purchasing using the Rapaport Report.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
LD, would you mind to share some information of this purchase? If not, its okay, I understand!

I just would like to know if you are happy with this purschase and whether you have a before and after pic of it!

Thank you!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 8:53:39 AM
Mark,
My guess is a probably a single reason or a combination of all:
1. Some might be due to microscopic inclusions scattered throughout the stone
2. Some are due to the very high level of saturation
3. Some are due to fluorescence

Chrono
In your research for your big Mahenge Tanzania Red/Pink Spinel,
What kind of colour commands a higher price?
The stop light red or the pink or the red with pink glow? (i dont know if i even covered the range but those are the colours i have seen from Mahenge that are prized)

Do you know if Mahenge spinels are generally included ? (eg amethyst are generally a not included, eye clean loupe clean kind of stone)

thanks

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 7:50:21 AM
Medwin,

Those look like a vendor’s pictures. Do you have your own pictures or are you the vendor? Sorry for so many questions because the pictures look as though they have been photoshopped.

HI chrono, those are not vendor pictures and they are my own pictures. i have an eBay store(topluster) and website too. you can visit my store to have a more look at the items and pictures.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 12:32:20 AM
Author: medwin20
HI chrono, those are not vendor pictures and they are my own pictures. i have an eBay store(topluster) and website too. you can visit my store to have a more look at the items and pictures.

Date: 11/10/2009 7:51:45 AM
Author: AustenNut

And medwin, if you're a vendor then you need to declare yourself as one and you're not allowed to post about stones that you yourself are selling. FYI.

medwin (ebay store topluster), i dont think you can solicit business in this forum....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 8:27:37 AM
Author: megeve

LD, would you mind to share some information of this purchase? If not, its okay, I understand!

I just would like to know if you are happy with this purschase and whether you have a before and after pic of it!

Thank you!
Hi Megeve

I haven''t actually posted about this gemstone on here but I can give you my thoughts on AJS. Some of their stones have been wonderful - others have been less so. The pictures are pretty accurate and I find Rung particularly helpful in answering questions. However, the lack of more photos or videos does drive me bananas. I therefore have made some purchases that I otherwise wouldn''t have done so and have had to return them.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 2:50:34 AM
Date: 11/12/2009 8:27:37 AM

Author: megeve

Thank you!

Hi Megeve

I haven''t actually posted about this gemstone on here but I can give you my thoughts on AJS. Some of their stones have been wonderful - others have been less so. The pictures are pretty accurate and I find Rung particularly helpful in answering questions. However, the lack of more photos or videos does drive me bananas. I therefore have made some purchases that I otherwise wouldn''t have done so and have had to return them.
and shipping it back means buyers get dinged with the cost of shipping both ways..=(
could you describe why others have been less so?
is it because the colour of the online vendor photo is not accurate or the description is off or etc etc?
thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark - paying postage both ways is the risk you take if you buy from abroad (or from anywhere actually). You can't always tell everything from a picture and the Vendor's description. Sometimes when you get a gem home it just doesn't speak to you. I think that with AJS you pay for what you get and their gemstones tend to be fairly priced. I feel that on the whole they are a good company to work with and am just about to buy from them again today - does that help?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 11:45:14 PM
Chrono
In your research for your big Mahenge Tanzania Red/Pink Spinel,
What kind of colour commands a higher price?
The stop light red or the pink or the red with pink glow? (i dont know if i even covered the range but those are the colours i have seen from Mahenge that are prized)

Do you know if Mahenge spinels are generally included ? (eg amethyst are generally a not included, eye clean loupe clean kind of stone)

thanks
Mark,
As with all gemstones, the more saturated the colour, the higher the price. It is expected that Mahenges are more pink in sizes under 3 carats. To get a stop light red Mahenge, it requires the stone to be over 5 carats, and since that size is uncommon, it will command a price for both colour and size. Mahenges are generally eye clean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve,
I have purchased from AJS and find their prices fair. However, since their new policy no longer allows additional pictures and return shipping back to the US (Thailand only now), I will not be risking shipping fees and the hassle of international shipping.

AustenNut,
I don’t believe that any vendor must declare themselves as such to posters but it is a must to inform the forum moderators. However, you are correct that all vendors are not allowed to solicit here.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 9:09:00 PM
Haagen_dazs - I decided against that particular spinel since the tone and saturation just didn''t seem to be what I was looking for.

I didn''t want to let the cat out of the bag until it arrived
27.gif
, but I have a squarish cushion certified by BGL Flame Red Mogok Spinel coming my way. I don''t want to post any pics until I receive it, but once I see it, I''ll post it up! Sorry to be a tease!
11.gif

LTP
do you have photos of your mogok spinel?
just wondering =)

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 12:38:25 PM
I bought a stoplight red oval spinel of around 1.5 ct last year from AJS for $600 with unbelievable saturation. In fact, I’m wearing it right now. Under diffused and incandescent lights, it could pass off as a ruby. Perhaps, prices have continued to increase since then?

what do you guys think of this spinel''s colour and price?

natural-burma-spinel-gems-spi-00108-l_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not bad for the price point. Do you know if the spinel has fluoro? Does it turn orangish or brown under fluorescent? These are important questions for red spinels because many tend to have a garnety brown colour under fluorescent lighting. The other thing to watch out for is extinction. Some tend to have a lot of very dark areas which isn''t attractive.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2009 4:40:31 PM

Date: 9/9/2009 12:38:25 PM
I bought a stoplight red oval spinel of around 1.5 ct last year from AJS for $600 with unbelievable saturation. In fact, I’m wearing it right now. Under diffused and incandescent lights, it could pass off as a ruby. Perhaps, prices have continued to increase since then?

what do you guys think of this spinel''s colour and price?
Haagen_dazs.
You might want to start a new thread on this since this thread was originally for LTP''s spinels. That way, you''ll get more opinions of that stone. Just a friendly request.
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 6:25:15 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Ok I know it is sold and way to small but to me this is a RED SPINEL! Perhaps you can contact Rick to see if he has any more that can cut larger pieces in your price range. I just love the color!
1.gif
This looks red to me, and the cut is nice. Sorry, Rick''s name could have been on the list that Chrono had so generously provided, but I did not make a file of it and now it is hard to find it among december posts. Who is Rick>

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rick Martin of ArtCutgems.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results