shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m talking to Rung about this spinel on their site, and I wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought of it. Rung says it''s very slightly orangey-red, that it''s not too light, and not too dark, and has a vail that you can see from some angles. It''s 7.60 x 6.00 x 5.10mm, so fairly deep.

I''ve got it on hold right now, so I''m wondering from the spinel experts if I should continue to look at this one, or if there any others out there that I should look at.

Thoughts?

1.85ct.RedSpinel7.60x6.00x5.10.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more from the side . . .

1.85ct.RedSpinel7.60x6.00x5.10-2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tone is fine but the saturation is lacking. I’m not sure of what exactly you are looking for.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I'm looking for a red spinel that doesn't go dark, and has a nice colour (that isn't burgandy). I was hoping for one that was more saturated, but at the under $1k price point and 1.5 - 2.0 ct. range, I'm not having much luck. Everything I love from Pala is around $2k+. Figures.
3.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Now that''s my kind of spinel!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve seen the second one in person. Although the picture shows the perfect medium dark tone, it is really dark as described in the description. It got even darker outside under the sun unless I tilted it this way and that way to make it lighten up. I''ll pass on both.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a stoplight red oval spinel of around 1.5 ct last year from AJS for $600 with unbelievable saturation. In fact, I’m wearing it right now. Under diffused and incandescent lights, it could pass off as a ruby. Perhaps, prices have continued to increase since then?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it but I think I can see the veil near the center in the photo you posted. Unless that is some color zoning??

And it's a cushion isn't that new for you?

As for the color I see on my monitor I like it --- but I don't like really dark reds.

HTH

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Does it have to be a spinel? What shade would you really like (light orangy red, or as red as possible)? Malayas like THIS one come close to that spinel in color, but cost waaaay less.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I am no expert, but I do love the color of this spinel!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m beyond no expert, but I''m with megeve, the color is gorgeous. I can''t see the veil but I would wonder if the dark spots near the center are extinction or the photo (newbie me).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really depends on your budget Lauren. It''s a pretty stone, but do you think you can find something nicer for the pricepoint? That''s pretty much the question I think you need to ask yourself, or do you want to wait and save up for a higher quality spinel? While I do concur that it''s pretty, I also do not know how much it is, and perhaps you can do better.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 12:38:25 PM
Author: Chrono
I bought a stoplight red oval spinel of around 1.5 ct last year from AJS for $600 with unbelievable saturation. In fact, I’m wearing it right now. Under diffused and incandescent lights, it could pass off as a ruby. Perhaps, prices have continued to increase since then?
Yum, Chrono! Did you take any pics of it in your 10k celebration thread?
3.gif

Stone Hunter - the darkness in the center worries me. I''m not a fan of the darker reds, and I have a Malaya Garnet that covers that colour spectrum, so I''m looking for something that literally looks like a stop light. And yes, I''m kind of trying to blaze a new trail. I am loving elongated cushions lately.
1.gif

Mr. Ma Re - I suppose I''m open to other gems, but I was really hoping to add a nice red spinel to my collection. The colour on that garnet is really lovely - it''s reading a touch pink to me on my laptop.

Thanks Megeve and Novel - I''m worried about that darkness under the table, but more the fact that I''m not finding something with stronger saturation.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 3:21:16 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It really depends on your budget Lauren. It''s a pretty stone, but do you think you can find something nicer for the pricepoint? That''s pretty much the question I think you need to ask yourself, or do you want to wait and save up for a higher quality spinel? While I do concur that it''s pretty, I also do not know how much it is, and perhaps you can do better.
TL, this one is a hair under $500, but as you can tell, I''m on the fence about it because I am stuck wondering if I can do better for the price. However, I do like it, and the elongated cushion shape is a nice bonus.

I was initially searching for something under $1k, greater than 1.5 ct. and with nice saturation and tone, and more of a stop light red.

Have you seen any around that price point/weight that you think are worth taking a look at?

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
It looks pretty good in the photos. I''ve had a hard time finding lighter colored red spinel myself, so I feel like that''s at least worth a look.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its a pretty nice color, if there is a return period, I''d say its worth a look as I have a hard time finding red spinels.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 3:45:29 PM
Author: Chrono
Lauren,
I didn't take any new pictures of it. I do have some old ones though:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chronos-guess-the-stone-game.113313/page-2

The colour shown isn't very nice but at least it gives you a feel of how it looks.
Chrono - that's a really lovely colour. The setting is special, too. I'm glad you're wearing it today.
1.gif
Also, OMG, that blue zircon is amazing!!!! Love your collection!

Litebrite and D&T - thanks for the posts. I think it's really worth taking a look at, and Rung has been really nice about answering my 11ty questions about it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think there is no harm in getting it and checking it out for yourself. if it is not everything you want you can always return it. So I say GO FOR IT!
36.gif

By the way- i do
30.gif
the color!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Have you gone to Swala Gem Traders? I went to their website and found stones that I would say really are stoplight red. The first one is a downright bargain at a measly $14k. This second one is a bit pricier at $34k but still has that same red color.

Looking through the ones on their website that have already sold, I''d say that the color you''re looking for is going to be quite costly. But then again, if Chrono got her spectacular stone for $600 then maybe you can still find something with the right color that''s reasonably priced. I''ll continue looking.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
This one is a bit over the $1000 range, but not much, and it''s definitely a stoplight red spinel from Richard Homer.

homerspinel.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
This stone has some orangish tints, but comes in under budget.

orangishspinel.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I think that this one though might be my favorite, and it has the lowest cost of all!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
The pict of my favorite stone didn''t post, but hopefully it will now. Here it is!

Homerredspinel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the carat weight of the AJS stone? I don''t like guesstimating by dimension.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LTP... I bought a spinel a few years ago that I ended up returning as I thought for the price/carat weight/color/ ratio........... It was a bit expensive. (around $800 for a little over one carat. I think for the price/ color...that is a lovely stone. I have been drooling over this burma spinel from Weblorn. It is smaller, but I loveee the color and cut! It is also from Burma which makes it a little rare, hence the price. I have purchased from this seller before and I can tell you that she is a motivated seller even though her auction does not offer a best offer.........she may flex on her price if you are interested. But honestly... I really like the AJS stone. It is quite large too compared to the one I received.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTACULAR-SPECTRAL-RUBY-RED-SPINEL-SQUARE-CUSHION_W0QQitemZ170356491057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aa09c331&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

red-spinel-15.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
AustenNut - thanks so much for the additional links.
9.gif
I have a concave cut spess much like the 1st paprika that you posted and it''s set as a pendant.

Date: 9/9/2009 7:58:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What is the carat weight of the AJS stone? I don''t like guesstimating by dimension.
TL, It''s 1.85 ct. I almost always name my pictures the ct.weight and dimensions, so you can see it in the lower corner of my post.
2.gif

CCN - I''ve seen that one, and it was in my watch list, but I''ve tried negotiating with her before and she held fast to her price. For the record, she still hasn''t sold the stone I offered a bid on, and it''s been months.

I may see if she''ll move on this one, though. How''s her return policy?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm . . .

red-spinel-15.jpg
1.85ct.RedSpinel7.60x6.00x5.10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results