shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of Mahenge spinel, what about this one from Precision Gem?

Mahengespinel.png

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 3:06:49 PM
Author: AustenNut
That looks nice to me. I like the cut and is it Mahenge if it comes from that region or does it need the RED FLURO to qualify?

But it is in her price range...clarity could be a problem unless the clarity is marked down for that one corner flaw he mentions.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey AustenNut - I''ve considered that one, and decided to ask Gene about it. It''s got a score of 4 for both colour and clarity, but I decided I''d ask Gene if it might be somewhat what I''m looking for.

Thanks for posting that one, Austen!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok I know it is sold and way to small but to me this is a RED SPINEL! Perhaps you can contact Rick to see if he has any more that can cut larger pieces in your price range. I just love the color!
1.gif

RICKRED1.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
No problem, I''m just curious to see what you get! (Plus it''s so much easier to shop with other people''s money
2.gif
)

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Now that is a red red stone Sarahbear posted.
2.gif

I''ve been following this thread with interest since a pigeon-blood red spinel (little bit darker than it looks like you''re going for) is next on my list of wished-for things and I haven''t really been sure where to start looking. I want to make sure I get a good one, though -- most of my previous purchases haven''t exactly been big-ticket items, but it looks like this is substantial enough to need some research beforehand. So... thanks for creating a very helpful resource, and good luck!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 1:36:40 PM
Author: Liane
Now that is a red red stone Sarahbear posted.
2.gif

I''ve been following this thread with interest since a pigeon-blood red spinel (little bit darker than it looks like you''re going for) is next on my list of wished-for things and I haven''t really been sure where to start looking. I want to make sure I get a good one, though -- most of my previous purchases haven''t exactly been big-ticket items, but it looks like this is substantial enough to need some research beforehand. So... thanks for creating a very helpful resource, and good luck!
thanks Liane! Red is my favorite color so I''m extremely particular about that color. Anyhow I would definitely contact Rick when you decide to get your red spinel- I think he has a great eye for color. I have been extremely pleased with my past purchases from him.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 5:48:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Hey AustenNut - I''ve considered that one, and decided to ask Gene about it. It''s got a score of 4 for both colour and clarity, but I decided I''d ask Gene if it might be somewhat what I''m looking for.

Thanks for posting that one, Austen!

Some Mahenge does tend toward red (usually in larger sizes). Even my smallish 1.3 ct looks red in certain lightings. They are wonderful stones.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Any news? Also, have you taken a look at John Dyer's website? He's got some stoplight red garnets on there, including some in a cushion (or cushion-like) shape. Have no idea what his prices are as I didn't see them posted, which may mean that they're over the $1k limit, but I really have no idea.

ETA: There's also stop light red spinel, just not in the shape you want. Perhaps he could cut some for you?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 2:13:07 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Just caught up with this thread! How are the negotiations proceeding Lauren?

!

hi Lauren
did you eventually decide to buy the spinel from AJS?
noting this thread was early sept 2009, did AJS take those extra photos for you?

it seems as of nov 2009, Rung was saying she could not take extra photos for me =(

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Lauren,

If you''re still looking for a red spinel then you might be interested in this one from D&J. I don''t remember the exact parameters you were looking for, but this seems to be priced really well. I''m kind of hoping you''ll get it so that I won''t!

SpinelDJred.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haagen_dazs - I decided against that particular spinel since the tone and saturation just didn''t seem to be what I was looking for.

I didn''t want to let the cat out of the bag until it arrived
27.gif
, but I have a squarish cushion certified by BGL Flame Red Mogok Spinel coming my way. I don''t want to post any pics until I receive it, but once I see it, I''ll post it up! Sorry to be a tease!
11.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 8:32:17 PM
Lauren,

If you''re still looking for a red spinel then you might be interested in this one from D&J. I don''t remember the exact parameters you were looking for, but this seems to be priced really well. I''m kind of hoping you''ll get it so that I won''t!
AustenNut - that is lovely! If this cushion doesn''t work - I know who I''m calling next!
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to see your cushion LTP!

The DJ one looks kind of dark and brown/brickish-red to me compared to the other photos? I like it personally, but I didn't think that was what you were looking for.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 9:12:11 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Looking forward to see your cushion LTP!

The DJ one looks kind of dark and brown/brickish-red to me compared to the other photos? I like it personally, but I didn''t think that was what you were looking for.
It''s not quite the colour, nor the shape, I was looking for, but DJ seems to have a zillion other gems I like.
3.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 8:06:20 AM
Author: Chrono

The Swala spinels are no ordinary spinels: those are Mahenge spinels where they are known to have that distinctive look and glow. Initially, Mahenges were priced lower than regular red spinels but have now overtaken even the top red spinels. They are sure a beauty, aren’t they?

question
is the glow in the mahenges spinels due to the silk or inclusions that is innate in gemstones from those regions?
the glows that i have seen are a pink kind of glow.. am i right?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 9:09:00 PM
Haagen_dazs - I decided against that particular spinel since the tone and saturation just didn't seem to be what I was looking for.

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until it arrived
27.gif
, but I have a squarish cushion certified by BGL Flame Red Mogok Spinel coming my way. I don't want to post any pics until I receive it, but once I see it, I'll post it up! Sorry to be a tease!
11.gif

may i ask where did you buy yours from?
does yours look like the photo in D&J ?

anyways looking forward to the Flame Red Mogok Spinel !!!
=)
i am doing lots more research on red colour vs computer monitor red colour =p

trishy

Shiny_Rock
i dont know if you recall my color change garnet... i was told it was somewhat darker in real life then the web photo. let me see if i can find the link for you

i know red spinel and color change garnet is two totally different gems and colors but the web photo and what was real life, real life was darker

for instance... ajs vendor photo

trishyccgarnet0.37.jpg

and my photos [which were crap i can tell you... i am very new to gem photography, as this was my 1st gem purchase, it does have a great color change tho] anyways... on to MY photos.. again this is to judge possible darknessin ajs gems in reallife?

ccgarnet0.37%20022.jpg
green
ccgarnet0.37%20020.jpg
purple
ccgarnet0.37%20012.jpg
green... still dark
ccgarnet0.37%20001.jpg
taken with flash still very dark...

i have not really been able to replicate the lighter colors at any point to show as light as they did. something to take in consideration with ajs pics maybe?.
altho, i must say... if thats the color, tone, saturation for that red spinel... I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! did you get more pics?

i hope showing you the difference in my ajs vendor pic and then my photos of a color change garnet, albeit a totally different gem, help. i really dont know tho. sorry if it wasted time. im trying really hard to learn.... and fit in, with all you cool gemmers.

ETA - SORRY I JUST READ YOU DECIDED NOT TO GO WITH AJS. SORRY SO LATE.

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Hey there,
Frankly speaking i am new replying or posting my comments to this forum allthough i have been watching this colored stones section frequently. Well coming to this spinel query i guess the tone is not saturated fully and looks more orangey pink. I got some spinels(reddish Pink) starting from 1.5cts onwards from tanzania. I am taking pictures of those today and i will send you by tomorrow if possible.

Medwin.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Trishy,

Have you posted your photos & vendorr photos on the vendor comparison thread? (It''s a sticky at the top of the page.)

And medwin, if you''re a vendor then you need to declare yourself as one and you''re not allowed to post about stones that you yourself are selling. FYI.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark,
My guess is a probably a single reason or a combination of all:
1. Some might be due to microscopic inclusions scattered throughout the stone
2. Some are due to the very high level of saturation
3. Some are due to fluorescence

Medwin,
Welcome to the CS section of PS. I’d love to see pictures of your red/pink spinels.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Haagen_dazs - I decided against that particular spinel since the tone and saturation just didn''t seem to be what I was looking for.
LTP
I was wondering how many extra photos of the gemstone did you get from AJS?
I am not sure if their policy changed but I am having some difficulty requesting for extra photos of stones...
hmmm

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 8:53:39 AM
Mark,

Medwin,

Welcome to the CS section of PS. I’d love to see pictures of your red/pink spinels.
Hi Chrono,

I am attaching my red/pink spinels here, have a look at them and let me know.

S207A.jpg

medwin20

Rough_Rock
this is more of a pinkish hue

S221A.jpg

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 11:20:57 PM
Author: medwin20

Mark,

Medwin,

Hi Chrono,

Date: 11/10/2009 11:20:57 PM
Author: medwin20

Mark,

Medwin,

Hi Chrono,

S164A.jpg

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 11:48:56 AM
Author:LaurenThePartier
I''m talking to Rung about this spinel on their site, and I wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought of it. Rung says it''s very slightly orangey-red, that it''s not too light, and not too dark, and has a vail that you can see from some angles. It''s 7.60 x 6.00 x 5.10mm, so fairly deep.

I''ve got it on hold right now, so I''m wondering from the spinel experts if I should continue to look at this one, or if there any others out there that I should look at.

Thoughts?

Hi , i have attached my spinels in this forum..have a look at them and let me know

Medwin.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mewdin,
What are the carat weights on those? The colours are so intense, almost to the point of looking artificial.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any pictures of the stone yourself, or just the vendor photos? How do the stones compare in real life to the photos?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
could you give me your opinions on this colour?
what do you guys think?
AJS 0.64 Spinel
Stop light red enough? =)
Hows the price ? is about 155usd/ct

could someone refresh my memory on what are the $$/ct for different grades spinel?
Wildfish has a list of $/ct prices but i just wanted to gather people's opinions

webpricing from wildfish

Spinel_SPI-00279-l.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 10:48:38 PM
Author: haagen_dazs

LTP
I was wondering how many extra photos of the gemstone did you get from AJS?
I am not sure if their policy changed but I am having some difficulty requesting for extra photos of stones...
hmmm
Haagen_Dazs - the only time I''ve been able to get extra pics of a stone is if it''s a much higher priced stone like my spess. The red spinel was only $450, so I couldn''t wrangle any additional pics from them, so I figured it''s better to be safe than sorry!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results