shape
carat
color
clarity

Recs for white dinnerware?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Trellis, the set at Costco has no mugs which is a perk for us, we ordered four of the double wall stainless steel mugs along with it!

That’s a very pretty pattern! I went to the website yesterday to see all the patterns. I never knew you could buy dishes at Costco online. Heaven help me! :lol:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, am a big Villeroy and Boch fan. And this is quite funny...I had a set of French Garden as well, but I sold it last year because I really never used it. I have another older pattern of V&B, and rarely use it, but my mother had the same pattern and I really want to keep it. Now, I also have just dinner plates and mugs in a solid white V&B that could be used alone or combined with the FG. Very similar design. I think V&B still makes it, but perhaps there are newer designs that would be more appealing. I also have my Minton formal wedding china and my mother's Lenox. I maybe use those twice a year on holidays. Oh yeah, I have Spode Christmas Tree for December. :eek-2:

What do I use everyday? White Corelle!!!! :lol: I've probably had some for 20+ years (and I likely have refreshed the set at some point) and have never broken a piece in spite of many drops over the years! So I'd say it is likely safer to drop than a lot of things!

That said, I know you are looking for a nicer set and that's fine. I have found V&B porcelain very durable, and they have some newer sets that are really attractive. Macy's has some fabulous DEALS for several white patterns right NOW! I think most of these patterns can be bought open stock piece by piece, but you save a LOT by buying sets. Macy's has the best deals I know of, and that's where I got my FG.

(New Cottage):

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...lection?ID=417545&CategoryID=53629&isDlp=true

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/villeroy-boch-dinnerware-new-cottage-18-piece-set-service-for-6?
ID=2839152&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&gclsrc=aw.ds&&trackingid=509x1052203864&m_sc=sem&m_sb=Google&m_tp=PLA&m_ac=Google_SH_PLA_Tabletop&m_ag=Villeroy%26Boch&m_cn=GS_Dinnerware_PLA_Restructure&m_pi=go_cmp-13050559898_adg-127803984131_ad-520677614797_aud-842598045241:pla-1260631575598_dev-c_ext-_prd-4003686306110USA&gclid=CjwKCAiAmuKbBhA2EiwAxQnt7zqTGmsEHZsZI_tV8MFENeyDoIMGv-nqx5kjpf7HbpICTkD7EOWTJxoC4N8QAvD_BwE

Ohhh, this is pretty! You really have to enlarge it to see the design. (Cellini)

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/villeroy-boch-cellini-24-pc.-dinnerware-set-service-for-6?ID=1792612&tdp=cm_app~zMCOM-NAVAPP~xcm_zone~zPDP_ZONE_B~xcm_choiceId~zcidM06MNK-5417049a-45cb-4121-990e-8dd41ccc703a@HB1@Customers+also+loved$53629$1792612~xcm_pos~zPos3~xcm_srcCatID~z53629

This is the pattern I have. Just know it's not bright white. Similar to the base color of FG. (Manoir)

Very nice clean, contemporary design:

I could easily choose one of these right now. But I am trying to reduce my china before even thinking of buying another set!!! Can't wait to see what you choose!

Thank you, DS! I love these Villeroy & Boch recommendations. I was considering Manoir because it’s the same basic shape as French Garden. Interesting that it’s not bright white. Wondering exactly how cream it is. I’m just going to have to go into a department store and hope they have things in stock to actually see. The New Cottage line is pretty, too!

It makes sense but I didn’t realize the Black Friday deals would be so good!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend going with a pattern like Wedgwood White. You can also mix in other Wedgwood patterns as the white of the bone china will match. Bone china is a creamy white in comparison to porcelain. Villeroy & Boch is also pretty, but they tend to discontinue patterns more than Wedgwood.

There are also other lovely patterns by Limoges manufacturers like Bernardaud or German porcelain by Rosenthal. A general rule of thumb is to stay within country of origin. German porcelain whites tend to match, Limoges porcelain from different manufacturers tends to match.

Juliska is very pretty but the stoneware is heavier than a bone china or porcelain.

This is one of favorites, Louvre by Bernardaud-it features different architectural motifs from the museum:

I was in the biz for over two decades, so I'm a bit of a tableware junkie.

This is all so helpful, thank you @lulu_ma ! I definitely have Wedgwood White on my list.

One thing that I find myself doing is listing what individual pieces we use most and evaluating the shape of those pieces in potential lines. For instance, mugs and rice bowls. I’m a big coffee drinker and the shape of mugs is very important to me. My husband really likes a nice deep rice bowl for cereal and soup and various other things (we have rimmed soup bowls and actual cereal bowls but they get comparatively little use). Some patterns have no rice bowls and that’s an automatic disqualifier. I’m trying to decide if I would be ok with footed mugs. Hmmmmm.

Agree re: stoneware being heavy. It’s not my preference.

Someone mentioned upthread that bone china holds heat less well than porcelain or other alternatives—do you find that to be true?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a fun thread! Thank you for starting it @Tonks!

Villeroy and Boch has quite a few beautiful white patterns.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is all so helpful, thank you @lulu_ma ! I definitely have Wedgwood White on my list.

One thing that I find myself doing is listing what individual pieces we use most and evaluating the shape of those pieces in potential lines. For instance, mugs and rice bowls. I’m a big coffee drinker and the shape of mugs is very important to me. My husband really likes a nice deep rice bowl for cereal and soup and various other things (we have rimmed soup bowls and actual cereal bowls but they get comparatively little use). Some patterns have no rice bowls and that’s an automatic disqualifier. I’m trying to decide if I would be ok with footed mugs. Hmmmmm.

Agree re: stoneware being heavy. It’s not my preference.

Someone mentioned upthread that bone china holds heat less well than porcelain or other alternatives—do you find that to be true?

I haven’t found this to be the case. All of the components of porcelain are the same as bone china with exception of bone ash.

I recommend picking the Wedgwood (or whatever brand) pattern with your favorite dinner and salad plates. You can then cherry pick rice bowls and mugs (maybe the Jasper Conran mug) from any other Wedgwood pattern as the whites should match. Picking a classic pattern will allow you to replace and fill in as needed.

And, I agree with you rim soup bowls are not very useful for modern living!

ETA: If you want a more modern, streamlined look, check out the Rosenthal white patterns-TAC 02 (designed by Walter Gropius in 1969) is minimal and elegant, Loft White has been around for over 20 years, Moon White was designed by Jasper Morrison. Again, all easy to mix and match.

Also, I did some research on V&B Manoir White-it was introduced in 1983 so that pattern has staying power too. It's interesting that it porcelain but made to look creamy like bone china.

Last edited:

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I'd return them.
Costco is very good about returns.

Yes - they are! But of course, my son broke two pieces while removing from the dishwasher. Oh well…

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! Like an addict I clicked on @diamondseeker2006’s links! :eek2: They’re so pretty..I should get a new set and donate one I already have.. :wink2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven’t found this to be the case. All of the components of porcelain are the same as bone china with exception of bone ash.

I recommend picking the Wedgwood (or whatever brand) pattern with your favorite dinner and salad plates. You can then cherry pick rice bowls and mugs (maybe the Jasper Conran mug) from any other Wedgwood pattern as the whites should match. Picking a classic pattern will allow you to replace and fill in as needed.

ETA: If you want a more modern, streamlined look, check out the Rosenthal white patterns-TAC 02 (designed by Walter Gropius in 1969) is minimal and elegant, Loft White has been around for over 20 years, Moon White was designed by Jasper Morrison. Again, all easy to mix and match.

Also, I did some research on V&B Manoir White-it was introduced in 1983 so that pattern has staying power too. It's interesting that it porcelain but made to look creamy like bone china.

Yes..I can vouch for Rosenthal. I have plain white plates..but I don’t remember the pattern. They’re very simple without a design. Now that I remember.. I actually bought the charger plates. I loves the large plates on the table..

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Yes..I can vouch for Rosenthal. I have plain white plates..but I don’t remember the pattern. They’re very simple without a design. Now that I remember.. I actually bought the charger plates. I loves the large plates on the table..

I also have Rosenthal dishes @MamaBee . Flip your plate over and the pattern name should be marked on the back:)

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t read through all of this but I have mikasa bone China and I hate it. My set is all white with a pattern on the edges. My set is less than 6 years old and the pattern is faded, utensil marks everywhere and most of the mugs and several salad plates are chipped. This is just from daily use by my husband and I. My kids are young so they use plastic. I’m ready to throw the whole set out and replace. I’m surprised to see so many recommendations for it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have Rosenthal dishes @MamaBee . Flip your plate over and the pattern name should be marked on the back:)

I have three different ones..that I mix with other white plates. The charger pattern is Nido. I have twelve of them..I use them as a dinner plate..for Thanksgiving..I forgot about them! Then I have Rosenthal salad and dessert plates..One pattern is Classic..The other doesn't have a pattern name..I mix them all together..I’m going to use the chargers for Thanksgiving now that I pulled it out! 6DD1336B-405C-45C0-B3DC-D00834185216.jpeg 48673E1D-1BEE-42FC-8B73-E6BA8B5D82D9.jpeg

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven’t read through all of this but I have mikasa bone China and I hate it. My set is all white with a pattern on the edges. My set is less than 6 years old and the pattern is faded, utensil marks everywhere and most of the mugs and several salad plates are chipped. This is just from daily use by my husband and I. My kids are young so they use plastic. I’m ready to throw the whole set out and replace. I’m surprised to see so many recommendations for it.

My friend just donated her set to the hospital thrift store. She said they were all marked up. She did clean them with Barkeepers Friend..but she was tired of doing that.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
My friend just donated her set to the hospital thrift store. She said they were all marked up. She did clean them with Barkeepers Friend..but she was tired of doing that.

That’s exactly how I clean mine! It’s a pain in the butt and the results don’t last. I do it every time I have guests because I’m embarrassed by how terrible they look. My husband thinks I’m ridiculous.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's very interesting. My Mikasa white plates don't ever get utensil marks.
Do you think it's the metal type of utensils that make the difference?

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
That’s exactly how I clean mine! It’s a pain in the butt and the results don’t last. I do it every time I have guests because I’m embarrassed by how terrible they look. My husband thinks I’m ridiculous.

I’ve never used BarKeepers on the dishes. I’m embarrassed when we have guests as well. They look terrible - see attached. I’ve had them for 2 y? I’m going to get another set and donate the ones without marks (mostly the small plates and small bowls).

Attachments

• D7E6C662-F013-4848-BFB4-F10B0474210E.jpeg
    D7E6C662-F013-4848-BFB4-F10B0474210E.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 31

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I was thinking the same thing..Stainless flatware is usually 18/10..but maybe they add something else?? The only thing is my Fiestaware..which I donated..got terribly marked up with the same flatware I have now. My other dishes don’t get it..:think:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve never used BarKeepers on the dishes. I’m embarrassed when we have guests as well. They look terrible - see attached. I’ve had them for 2 y? I’m going to get another set and donate the ones without marks (mostly the small plates and small bowls).

I’m wondering if it’s crazing. Did you try soaking a plate in a little bleach water?

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I’m wondering if it’s crazing. Did you try soaking a plate in a little bleach water?

I don’t think so. I’ve never tried bleach - makes me nervous since we use it for food. Although I’m sure restaurants use all kinds of chemicals/detergents and I don’t think ab it - ha! Thanks for the suggestion

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks It's also funny you said you are particular about mugs! I kept some FG mugs and I have the Manoir mugs (which are the same as FG) that go with anything. Those are my favorite mugs ever! They are not thick like ceramic mugs can be.
If I think about it. I'll try to take a picture of the FG and Manoir mugs so you can better gauge the color white. I don't really consider them cream, just off white probably. I need to get them in the daylight to get a good picture.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only ever wash dishes with seventh gen dish suds and a non abrasive sponge.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Interesting. That could definitely be a factor. My set is actually mixed antiques so I’m not sure exactly what they are. Most flatware is 18/10 stainless but perhaps I have a black sheep in the mix scratching up
My plates.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. That could definitely be a factor. My set is actually mixed antiques so I’m not sure exactly what they are. Most flatware is 18/10 stainless but perhaps I have a black sheep in the mix scratching up
My plates.

Just BC I used to work in housewares so I'm curious, are they six years old (as in you bought them new) or six years old that you've owned them? Are they actually stamped as "bone china"?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

You have given me so much to think about! Thank you! This is SO tremendously helpful.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Like an addict I clicked on @diamondseeker2006’s links! :eek2: They’re so pretty..I should get a new set and donate one I already have.. :wink2:

Don't you find that dinnerware is one of those unfortunate things where you can afford it but you're not allowed to buy it because you don't really need more than one set and you feel bad for abandoning the pretty set you already own!!!!

Hehe says the girl who owns too many cup and saucer sets to count!!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Around 40% of bone china's clay is finely-ground animal bone ash.
It increases strength allowing ceramics that are lighter, thinner, less brittle, and more translucent.

But can/should/would vegans eat on bone china?
Of course the china's glaze prevents the food from contacting bone, but still I'd wonder about the vegan's comfort level.

Oh, Kenny. I love that you’re always bringing up provocative topics. I liken it to setting the stage for an episode of All In The Family with Archie Bunker.

Do you really really think, that a person who has renounced eating flesh, gives a **** what you think? ‍♀️❤️

Imagine a large formal dinner.
In the middle of the meal a vegan turns over his bread plate and sees it's bone china.

He runs to the bathroom to, uhm, evacuate the food.

Which reminds me ...
My former SO was Indian.
When his parents came from (then) Bombay to visit we picked them up at the airport in his leather-upholstered BMW.
As she was getting into the car his mom paused and asked if that was leather from cows.
(Hindus consider cows to be sacred.)
My SO sheepishly (LOL sheepishly) answer, "Yes."
She got in but she looked uncomfortable and was very quiet for a long time.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Or I wonder if not all bone china is made the same - either process or recipe? Either brand to brand or within a brand.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
This thread has been so interesting… I have always used porcelain for day to day dining and have never had marks, and only chipping when someone dropped a plate or something. I wash with an OXO nylon brush and do put them in the dishwasher and microwave. I have a nice set of china that I hand wash but don’t use it often.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Just BC I used to work in housewares so I'm curious, are they six years old (as in you bought them new) or six years old that you've owned them? Are they actually stamped as "bone china"?

I just checked and yes they are indeed stamped Bone China on the back

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results