shape
carat
color
clarity

Recs for white dinnerware?

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention that I did in fact buy my set from Costco. 2 sets actually-last year when they were on a nice discount. But still a good price if you want a full set.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we are the strange ones, we have two 8 place sets one 12 place set and one 24 place set.
The 24 was from my parents house and isn't used.
The other 3 are rotated in and out through the year.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think we are the strange ones, we have two 8 place sets one 12 place set and one 24 place set.
The 24 was from my parents house and isn't used.
The other 3 are rotated in and out through the year.

After dinner for 52 people, I hope you help her clean up.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Love my Nantucket Basket by wedgewood. In Daily use since 1990.

Oh, I vividly remember this from when I was getting married. So many of my friends picked it. It looks like it’s still made! I assumed it wouldn’t be. The other one that was super popular was Lenox Butler’s Pantry, but I think that’s discontinued. And may have had a bit too much going on for me, at any rate.

Someone suggested I make a trip to a department store and that’s probably what I need to do.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I know the OP doesn’t want Corelle but if anyone else is looking, I love it. I do recall dropping a plate and it did shatter but that’s only one event in many years so it doesn’t really factor in, for me personally.

The plain white Corelle is timeless, inexpensive, and has endless widely available matching pieces and replacement pieces. I also like how thin it is. That adds up to far less bulk in the cabinets and dishwasher. I guess I also like the “basicness” of it tbh, how it’s not at all fussy or snooty or whatever. It’s the anti-china ha.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I have lots of different white dishes that I mix and match. This way my serving dishes always go with whatever dishes I decide to use. I mix my vintage China with them too. I have white Rosenthal dinner plates but other brands that I mix with it..I always get 12+ You never have to replace the dishes exactly because they’re white..I don’t like things to match too much though..

You know, I love the idea of doing this, but my experience has been that it can be surprisingly hard to get the white of bone china to match. I have three different patterns of fine china: one inherited from my mother, one Christmas, one inherited from another relative. When picking out wedding china, we actually went to Replacements to find a pattern that would go with all of the above. I could NOT believe how white was not actually white. It was just like paint. Some was cream, some was bright white. It took forever to find a pattern that would go.

And yes, I realize that I am ridiculous for having all this fine china and using something else everyday, but none of my fine stuff can be used in the dishwasher or microwave as it has gold edges.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ton of china too. I have the Mikasa that I mentioned above; I have a Royal Dalton pattern that I got when I first got married, I have a Mikasa stoneware set, I have my mother's Bavarian china.....and guess what I use everyday? White Corelle! It does stack nicely and take up much less space in the cabinets. I have never broken a piece though and wasn't aware that it shattered like that. I guess I'll need to be very careful.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Around 40% of bone china's clay is finely-ground animal bone ash.
It increases strength allowing ceramics that are lighter, thinner, less brittle, and more translucent.

But can/should/would vegans eat on bone china?
Of course the china's glaze prevents the food from contacting bone, but still I'd wonder about the vegan's comfort level.

Imagine a large formal dinner.
In the middle of the meal a vegan turns over his bread plate and sees it's bone china.

He runs to the bathroom to, uhm, evacuate the food.

Which reminds me ...
My former SO was Indian.
When his parents came from (then) Bombay to visit we picked them up at the airport in his leather-upholstered BMW.
As she was getting into the car his mom paused and asked if that was leather from cows.
(Hindus consider cows to be sacred.)
My SO sheepishly (LOL sheepishly) answer, "Yes."
She got in but she looked uncomfortable and was very quiet for a long time.

No vegans in this household, and we’re not throwing big diner parties. Thank you for the warning, though.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ton of china too. I have the Mikasa that I mentioned above; I have a Royal Dalton pattern that I got when I first got married, I have a Mikasa stoneware set, I have my mother's Bavarian china.....and guess what I use everyday? White Corelle! It does stack nicely and take up much less space in the cabinets. I have never broken a piece though and wasn't aware that it shattered like that. I guess I'll need to be very careful.

Isn’t it funny how you are told what you’ll need and then you go on and do life and figure out what it is you do actually need and they’re often very different?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
After 40 years, I replaced my dinnerware with Jasper Conran Strata from Wedgewood. It’s bone china, and dishwasher, microwave safe.

I’ve had it for a couple of years and it’s holding up very well. It’s my every day dinnerware.

There is also another style called Jasper Conran White.

In my younger days, I used to want matching serving dishes, till a friend of mine, who entertained frequently, pointed out that using what you already have is a way to add interest and variety to your table. And a way to use gifts that people may have given you in the past!

Last edited:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fan of bone white china. I got tired of having other materials chip or acquire utensil marks easily. I have had the same bone white china for over ten years - used daily by a family of five, none of whom are careful with it, and used for Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc. Everything is washed in dishwashers, oftentimes loaded by people who are, pun intended, bulls in a china shop. Not a chip or utensil mark in sight. I love that if I need more of something, it's easy to add to.

I purchased most of my pieces at Home Goods. I hear you on the different shades of white... but I much prefer a mis-matched bone china 'set' that is coordinated and neutral and boho chic if nothing else, to a matched set that is outdated, showing signs of wear and tear, or could clash if my decor/colors change. I take pictures of the Thanksgiving spread, and I personally love the neutral warmth my varied white dinnerware creates with everything else I put out.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I love the idea of doing this, but my experience has been that it can be surprisingly hard to get the white of bone china to match. I have three different patterns of fine china: one inherited from my mother, one Christmas, one inherited from another relative. When picking out wedding china, we actually went to Replacements to find a pattern that would go with all of the above. I could NOT believe how white was not actually white. It was just like paint. Some was cream, some was bright white. It took forever to find a pattern that would go.

And yes, I realize that I am ridiculous for having all this fine china and using something else everyday, but none of my fine stuff can be used in the dishwasher or microwave as it has gold edges.

I get it! I also have china with rimmed gold edges..They are at my other house in Maryland…My vintage white and blue Wedgewood are here without the gold. I usually buy 12 dinner plates and mix up salad and bread plates..I don’t use those anymore. I used to put a different five piece place setting at each spot at the table. Now I just use my nice set of dishes because I can pop them in the dishwasher..no china..You have me thinking of using the ones without the gold edges again... I have two sets of Christmas dishes so I have to use them for Christmas. Sorry to veer off topic! I love dishes! :lol:

@rainydaze I‘m with you about not matching and mixing the whites. I bought Royal Doulton flat plates and wide bowls at Homegoods that I use daily..They’re cream but I mix them with white too..I was just at Homegoods yesterday..I love dishes so I try not to look too hard! :lol:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fan of bone white china. I got tired of having other materials chip or acquire utensil marks easily. I have had the same bone white china for over ten years - used daily by a family of five, none of whom are careful with it, and used for Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc. Everything is washed in dishwashers, oftentimes loaded by people who are, pun intended, bulls in a china shop. Not a chip or utensil mark in sight. I love that if I need more of something, it's easy to add to.

I purchased most of my pieces at Home Goods. I hear you on the different shades of white... but I much prefer a mis-matched bone china 'set' that is coordinated and neutral and boho chic if nothing else, to a matched set that is outdated, showing signs of wear and tear, or could clash if my decor/colors change. I take pictures of the Thanksgiving spread, and I personally love the neutral warmth my varied white dinnerware creates with everything else I put out.

I've had stoneware myself all of these years (I let my husband pick them, silly me) and once we're out of the childhood years or they've broken enough and we need to move I'm absolutely going the bone china route myself. I hate the utensil marks on the dishes.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I've had stoneware myself all of these years (I let my husband pick them, silly me) and once we're out of the childhood years or they've broken enough and we need to move I'm absolutely going the bone china route myself. I hate the utensil marks on the dishes.

I’m not a fan of utensil marks, either.

Ok, so if one wants:
—Microwave safe
—Dishwasher safe
—Oven safe
—No utensil marks
—Lack of exploding a la Corelle

Does that translate to bone china? Or would porcelain also do? Our current porcelain did end up with utensil marks so not sure if all porcelain would do that.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, so if one wants:
—Microwave safe
—Dishwasher safe
—Oven safe
—No utensil marks

Does that translate to bone china? Or would porcelain also do? Our current porcelain did end up with utensil marks so not sure if all porcelain would do that.

Not all porcelain dishes get utensil marks..My Royal Doulton occasional everyday dishes don’t. My
Portmeirion everyday..and Christmas dishes don’t get them either. I had Fiestaware that got horrible utensil marks. I would see if you could buy a plate from a set so you could test it out. I HATE utensil marks..

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered sticking with V&B? They have lots of all-white dinnerware.

We bought a set of V&B Botanica years ago to use as our everyday set, and it's still going strong. Such sturdy dishes!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welp I just conversed with DH who is also "over" our stoneware (he does all the dishes) so we ordered the Mikasa set from Costco hahaha!

Which pattern did you get?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which pattern did you get?

The Trellis, the set at Costco has no mugs which is a perk for us, we ordered four of the double wall stainless steel mugs along with it!

Platinumplus

Rough_Rock
I *love* my Villroy and Bosch Anmut white bone china. It’s a very sleek mid-century design that looks both classic and modern. We’ve used it for daily use with kids for ten years and have only lost a couple of pieces to chips or cracks, and we are *not* gentle with our china! I highly recommend.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am a big Villeroy and Boch fan. And this is quite funny...I had a set of French Garden as well, but I sold it last year because I really never used it. I have another older pattern of V&B, and rarely use it, but my mother had the same pattern and I really want to keep it. Now, I also have just dinner plates and mugs in a solid white V&B that could be used alone or combined with the FG. Very similar design. I think V&B still makes it, but perhaps there are newer designs that would be more appealing. I also have my Minton formal wedding china and my mother's Lenox. I maybe use those twice a year on holidays. Oh yeah, I have Spode Christmas Tree for December. :eek-2:

What do I use everyday? White Corelle!!!! :lol: I've probably had some for 20+ years (and I likely have refreshed the set at some point) and have never broken a piece in spite of many drops over the years! So I'd say it is likely safer to drop than a lot of things!

That said, I know you are looking for a nicer set and that's fine. I have found V&B porcelain very durable, and they have some newer sets that are really attractive. Macy's has some fabulous DEALS for several white patterns right NOW! I think most of these patterns can be bought open stock piece by piece, but you save a LOT by buying sets. Macy's has the best deals I know of, and that's where I got my FG.

(New Cottage):

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...lection?ID=417545&CategoryID=53629&isDlp=true

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/villeroy-boch-dinnerware-new-cottage-18-piece-set-service-for-6?
ID=2839152&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&gclsrc=aw.ds&&trackingid=509x1052203864&m_sc=sem&m_sb=Google&m_tp=PLA&m_ac=Google_SH_PLA_Tabletop&m_ag=Villeroy%26Boch&m_cn=GS_Dinnerware_PLA_Restructure&m_pi=go_cmp-13050559898_adg-127803984131_ad-520677614797_aud-842598045241:pla-1260631575598_dev-c_ext-_prd-4003686306110USA&gclid=CjwKCAiAmuKbBhA2EiwAxQnt7zqTGmsEHZsZI_tV8MFENeyDoIMGv-nqx5kjpf7HbpICTkD7EOWTJxoC4N8QAvD_BwE

Ohhh, this is pretty! You really have to enlarge it to see the design. (Cellini)

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...629$1792612~xcm_pos~zPos3~xcm_srcCatID~z53629

This is the pattern I have. Just know it's not bright white. Similar to the base color of FG. (Manoir)

Very nice clean, contemporary design:

I could easily choose one of these right now. But I am trying to reduce my china before even thinking of buying another set!!! Can't wait to see what you choose!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I don't know about utensil marks since none of my good china is used everyday. But at the prices of those V&B sets, you could use 10-15 years and replace again when you're tired of them.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I recommend going with a pattern like Wedgwood White. You can also mix in other Wedgwood patterns as the white of the bone china will match. Bone china is a creamy white in comparison to porcelain. Villeroy & Boch is also pretty, but they tend to discontinue patterns more than Wedgwood.

There are also other lovely patterns by Limoges manufacturers like Bernardaud or German porcelain by Rosenthal. A general rule of thumb is to stay within country of origin. German porcelain whites tend to match, Limoges porcelain from different manufacturers tends to match.

Juliska is very pretty but the stoneware is heavier than a bone china or porcelain.

This is one of favorites, Louvre by Bernardaud-it features different architectural motifs from the museum:

I was in the biz for over two decades, so I'm a bit of a tableware junkie.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry @Tonks ;)2

im allergic to just white anythung (accept kitchen apliances ):lol-2:

im voting for colour
a nice blue trim

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

Ok, so if one wants:
—Microwave safe
—Dishwasher safe
—Oven safe
—No utensil marks

I gave away some beautiful Mikasa bone china in a creamy white color. It had a lovely weensy geometric pattern, edged with a fine gold line. I rarely used it (or the Stewart crystal I bought around the same time), and gave it to my niece.

For the past few years we've used a Crate & Barrel set of basic white ceramic dishes.They have zero marks on them from daily use with all the usual utensils.

We had some Ikea 365+ that marked horribly from regular use, right out of the box. Got rid of those.

The thing I dislike about bone china is that it doesn't hold heat well, and I detest having hot food on a cold plate! What I really like about ceramics is that when preheated, they hold the heat which helps keep the food hot.

On a tangent, my grandparents always used fine bone china, and preheated the plates. By the time dinner was finished being plated, the plates were cold and the food soon followed, temp-wise.

ETA: Our ceramics are dishwasher safe, microwave safe, oven safe, definitely no exploding, and zero utensil marks.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention that I did in fact buy my set from Costco. 2 sets actually-last year when they were on a nice discount. But still a good price if you want a full set.

I also bought a set from Costco. But oddly, several of the pieces have brown markings. I have no idea why - we don’t use the dishes when we have curry. Maybe a bad batch?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also bought a set from Costco. But oddly, several of the pieces have brown markings. I have no idea why - we don’t use the dishes when we have curry. Maybe a bad batch?

I'd return them.
Costco is very good about returns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results