shape
carat
color
clarity

Recs for white dinnerware?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
After nearly 20 years, my daily dinnerware needs to be replaced. Lots of chips around the rims of pretty much everything.

We have gone in a much more neutral direction with our decor and are thinking we will go with white this time around, and I was hoping y’all would have good recommendations. It doesn’t need to be bone china as this is for daily use, but I am looking for high quality. We are replacing a Villeroy and Boch French Garden set, and that felt about right. Needs to be dishwasher and microwave safe, not likely to be discontinued, and have an array of both serving pieces and regular available (though I haven’t ruled out continuing to use my existing serving pieces as they all look great).

Open to any and all suggestions!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about Corelle? Mine have never chipped. Any porcelain or china I used before that chipped regularly.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is an Ikea near you, Ikea 365+ white porcelain is great value for money.

Also try catering suppliers for white porcelain crockery.

Mine are mix and match all white porcelain, including sets from supermarket.

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Mom had Royal Doulton Ting for decades. Not entirely white, but close. Great and elegant stuff. Think it is discontinued tho

cheers--Shaorn

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
How about Corelle? Mine have never chipped. Any porcelain or china I used before that chipped regularly.
Hoping to steer clear of Corelle. A friend has it and when they do break they absolutely explode. I would rather do porcelain like I had, or perhaps bone china if it were not ornate. I’m less a fan of stoneware but might consider.

Save a ton of money and get a better set.
We are happy customers multiple times.
Believe it or not, the set we had was actually quite good. Very solid. Just incredibly abused. I’m really impressed it made it this long.

HI:

Mom had Royal Doulton Ting for decades. Not entirely white, but close. Great and elegant stuff. Think it is discontinued tho

cheers--Shaorn
Oh, I do love Royal Doulton, but I‘m not willing to do discontinued. My fervent hope is to find a super popular pattern that stays in production a very long time. Nothing worse than breaking a plate in five years and not being able to replace it easily.

Anyone have experience with Wedgwood White? It looks pretty.
Crate and Barrel has several nice looking patterns as well.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Believe it or not, the set we had was actually quite good. Very solid. Just incredibly abused. I’m really impressed it made it this long.
Im sorry I guess I said that in a bad way
What I meant was is a lot of the time you can get a better set there for a given budget.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I still love Juliska Berry & Thread.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I thought Replacements Ltd. was pricey. Replacing my mother's old Johnson Brothers stonewear was too expensive for me. I've learned to love the chips and the glazing.

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
I’ve been in the same boat. After much research and inspecting dishes at every persons house and restaurants, I decided my next set would be bone china. I highly recommended it as it’s way more durable than ceramic or stoneware or even regular porcelain. I bought Mikasa Trellis in white with minimal raised details that I think go with casual or fancier dinners. It’s a bright white, as is most bone china, which is my preference. Would going to stores in person help you? I like to see and handle items to see what I like and then research where the best deals are. There are sure to be some sales this time of year. My $0.02! Happy shopping!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to wayfair and look at a brand called sweese. I just replaced all of mine and so far so good… doesn’t get hot in the microwave etc

eta looks like wayfair doesn’t carry it anymore. Google it

oh, here. They have a website https://sweese.com/

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I have Pottery Barn's caterer's porcelain boxed dinnerware that I use when we have the whole family over (the collection has just a couple sized plates, bowls and mugs. They also have an Entertaining Essentials porcelain collection that includes serving pieces.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a set of Mikasa antique white that I've had for many years. They have several different all white patterns. I ditto the suggestion for Mikasa. It's pretty sturdy.

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
We LOVE Fiestaware!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping to steer clear of Corelle. A friend has it and when they do break they absolutely explode. I would rather do porcelain like I had, or perhaps bone china if it were not ornate. I’m less a fan of stoneware but might consider.

I'm a Corelle guy; I bought my first set overseas 1979 at a military PX.

I've added to it a few times, but those 1979 pieces are still in use today. :dance:
In spite of 43 years of daily use they look the same as the new ones I've added this year, albeit a chip or two.
(Yes they can chip, just not nearly as easily as competing materials.)
43 years? Not bad.

Why Corelle?
Back in the 70s a friend's mom had a set of plain white Corelle.
I thought it look depressingly bland, compared to all the nice designs available.
She said colors and styles come and go like clothing fashion, so she choose plain white which will never be retired.
She said she preferred patterns, but didn't want to feel manipulated by a corporation into buying a new set if she felt it had become outdated.
Like her, I'm practical except when I'm not. :tongue:

So, for me, white is right.
Maybe I'm a closeted dinnerware-KKK member. :lol-2:

You are right Tonks, though durable when it does break it literally 'explodes.
Like a hand grenade, it shoots out pieces in all directions.
And, those pieces are not razor sharp; they are scalpel-sharp.
You ask, "If it's so dangerous, why do you still have it?"
We all drive even though we know fatal crashes happen.
We all take calculated risks ... benefits can outweigh risks to one person but not the next.
I'd never go sky diving, or join Facebook. :knockout:

But overall it's way more durable than anything other than plastic, so I'm just careful to never drop it.
IMO Corelle should not be in a house with kids.

ETA, c. 1982 I was still stationed overseas, where we get could buy killer high-end merchandise at killer prices.
I bought a Noritaki bone china set, 12-servings and many accessory pieces.
I can count on one hand how many times I've used it in the last 40 years. :boohoo:
It's just too nice to use.
Like, DUH!, Kenny. :wall:

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a Corelle guy; I bought my first set overseas 1979 at a military PX.

I've added to it a few times, but those 1979 pieces are still in use today. :dance:
In spite of 43 years of daily use they look the same as the new ones I've added this year, albeit a chip or two.
(Yes they can chip.)
43 years? Not bad.

Why Corelle?
Back in the 70s a friend's mom had a set of plain white Corelle.
I thought it look depressingly bland, compared to all the nice designs available.
She said colors and styles come and go like clothing fashion, so she choose plain white which will never be retired.
She said she preferred patterns, but didn't want to feel manipulated by a corporation into buying a new set if she felt it had become outdated.
Like her, I'm practical except when I'm not. :tongue:

So, for me, white is right.
Maybe I'm a closeted dinnerware-KKK member. :lol-2:

You are right Tonks, though durable when it does break it literally 'explodes.
Like a hand grenade, it shoots out pieces in all directions.
And, those pieces are not razor sharp; they are scalpel-sharp.
You ask, "If it's so dangerous, why do you still have it?"
We all drive even though we know fatal crashes happen.
We all take calculated risks ... benefits can outweigh risks to one person but not the next.
I'd never go sky diving, or join Facebook. :knockout:

But overall it's way more durable than anything other than plastic, so I'm just careful to never drop it.
IMO Corelle should not be in a house with kids.

ETA, c. 1982 I was still stationed overseas, where we get could buy killer high-end merchandise at killer prices.
I bought a Noritaki bone china set, 12-servings and many accessory pieces.
I can count on one hand how many times I've used it in the last 40 years. :boohoo:
It's just too nice to use.
Like, DUH!, Kenny. :wall:

I actually remember now we were in a rental house at the beach once and managed to break a plate that must have been Corelle. It was bonkers. Shards everywhere.

That’s gonna be a no for me. I am so paranoid about stepping on broken stuff I will wear shoes in the kitchen for a week after someone breaks something. My husband exploded a pyrex bowl last week and several days later managed to get a shard of glass in his foot. I just don’t need that in my life.

Maybe try the bone china? You might really enjoy it! I don’t use our wedding china much but that’s more to do with the metal rim requiring hand washing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... That’s gonna be a no for me. ...

No worries.

Describing what I like, even in detail, is not meant to preach that others should be like me. :))

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Love my Nantucket Basket by wedgewood. In Daily use since 1990.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edited to say I posted this before realising glass is not for consideration.
---

Just a suggestion, and I am not certain if they are available where you are, however. instead of Corelle which is made of glass and expensive for what they are worth IMHO; if glass is to be considered, I would suggest for the white crockery by the brand Arcoroc to be investigated.

They are French and a big manufacturer of glass items such as glasses and crockery.

I love glass as they are thinner and lighter than porcelain.

I have some cheapo non-branded white crockery for camping use made by Arcoroc, and have spares in case I drop them.

DK :))

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a set of Mikasa antique white that I've had for many years. They have several different all white patterns. I ditto the suggestion for Mikasa. It's pretty sturdy.

I can't sing their praises enough, I worked in Macy's housewares for years and they hold up very well.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently replaced all my white corelle (that replaced porcelain, that replaced heavyass stoneware) with white bone china that I’ve always wanted, but mistakenly believed bone china wasn’t a good daily driver choice.

I don’t regret it one bit - it’s lovely.
Mikasa white bone china.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Around 40% of bone china's clay is finely-ground animal bone ash.
It increases strength allowing ceramics that are lighter, thinner, less brittle, and more translucent.

But can/should/would vegans eat on bone china?
Of course the china's glaze prevents the food from contacting bone, but still I'd wonder about the vegan's comfort level.

Imagine a large formal dinner.
In the middle of the meal a vegan turns over his bread plate and sees it's bone china.

He runs to the bathroom to, uhm, evacuate the food.

Which reminds me ...
My former SO was Indian.
When his parents came from (then) Bombay to visit we picked them up at the airport in his leather-upholstered BMW.
As she was getting into the car his mom paused and asked if that was leather from cows.
(Hindus consider cows to be sacred.)
My SO sheepishly (LOL sheepishly) answer, "Yes."
She got in but she looked uncomfortable and was very quiet for a long time.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We LOVE Fiestaware!

I loved it too.. but it really collects utensil marks. I donated mine..

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bone china contains crushed up animal bones.
Can/should/would vegans eat on bone china?

Imagine a large formal dinner.
In the middle of the meal a vegan turns over his bread plate and sees it's bone china.

He runs to the bathroom to, uhm. remove the food from his body.

Which reminds me ...
Years ago my SO was Indian.
When his parents came from (then) Bombay to visit we picked them up at the airport in his BMW, which had leather upholstery.
As she was getting into the car his mom paused and asked if it was leather from cows.
(Hindus consider cows to be sacred.)
My SO sheepishly (LOL sheepishly) answer, "Yes."
She got in but was she looked uncomfortable and was very quiet for a long time.

I guess that's part of "know your audience", I know I'm not having any large formal dinners where people I don't really know are dining at my house, I would imagine most of us are in the same boat.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there’s such a thing as vegan bone china option. Or at least google tells me there is.
whether it truly looks/feels/behaves the same - idk.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have lots of different white dishes that I mix and match. This way my serving dishes always go with whatever dishes I decide to use. I mix my vintage China with them too. I have white Rosenthal dinner plates but other brands that I mix with it..I always get 12+ You never have to replace the dishes exactly because they’re white..I don’t like things to match too much though..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there’s such a thing as vegan bone china option. Or at least google tells me there is.
whether it truly looks/feels/behaves the same - idk.

Instead of cow bones they probably use Nauga bones ......................... (You know ... Naugahyde)

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Like MountainJuls, I have Mikasa Trellis, which is bone china. These are my everyday plates for years and are extremely durable. I was in Costco the other day and could not believe my eyes when I saw them for sale there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results