shape
carat
color
clarity

Random rediculousness

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl~ That''s funny. I''ve never seen that show but I have noticed that in more recent years more people say it. I used to get in so much trouble as a kid for saying it. My mom told me she''d rather hear a curse word.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 5:14:47 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 3/12/2010 4:19:59 PM

Author: VRBeauty

Date: 3/12/2010 3:16:15 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

One of my co-workers always says 'oh em gee' out loud. THAT gets old real fast.

My neighbors named their dog dee-oh-gee. All I could think is gee, I'm guessing the adults, and not the kid, came up with that one.

One of my radio stations has a jewelry store as a sponsor, and they pronounce it 'jew-luh-ree.'
20.gif
In my book, that's downright sacrilegious!

Um, yea, my dog is named D.O.G. (Dee-Oh-Gee), so thanks. It's actually a pretty cute name, suits him and we get compliments on it all the time.

Ooops... sorry HH.

The comment came from someone who frequents Tarzhay, so consider the source!
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 5:53:43 PM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 3/12/2010 4:44:26 PM
Author: princesss
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~NeThInG tHaT lOoKs LyKe DiS dRiVeS mE nUtSoRz!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!!1!1!~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~***DiTTo!***~*~*~
3.gif

I mean why?!
ThRitt*!

Whenever I see spelling like this I always think of SJP''s character SanDeE* in the movie LA Story.

I''ve also had students add a lot of letters to words in emails to me. The email will look like this:

Mrs. Haven,
My essay is attacheddddd. Thanksss so much for all your helpppp!!!!

23.gif

I respond with "It appears that your "D" "S" and "P" keys are stuck, you may want to look into that."

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 7:23:55 AM
Author: beechezz
I hate when people pronounce Ask as Aks (like Axe)....Really?!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

UGGGGH!! This, and ''pacifically'' instead of ''specifically''.
29.gif

I am so tired of this. I have started being a jerk about it and making snotty comments about ''atlantically'', and so far only one of my coworkers has caught the joke and it cracks her up every time she overhears me.

I also use "Oh Em Gee" all the time but that''s only because I''ve managed to insert it instead of the stream of epithets that were about to come spewing out of my mouth. Since we''ll be immediately terminated if we use foul language in the hearing of management, it behoves me to have a last-minute stand-in if something overloads my tolerance.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
What Haven said. I don''t understand why people typeeeeee likeeeee this.

I see it all the timeeeee.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 2:14:22 PM
Author: girlface
What Haven said. I don''t understand why people typeeeeee likeeeee this.

I see it all the timeeeee.
Hahahaha, I''m a chronic offender!

I write the way I speak, so in my head when I elongate a word, I elongate it when I type. (e.g. "Thank you soooooo much!" - if I was speaking, I''d drag out the "o" sound.) I''m reaaaally sorry if it bugs you!
28.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
princesss~ I think dragging out the vowel the way you would with the spoken word is COMPLETELY different than the ending consonants that never stop. They don''t add to the sound of the word in any way, they are just there to irritate others.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 3:57:35 PM
Author: somethingshiny
princesss~ I think dragging out the vowel the way you would with the spoken word is COMPLETELY different than the ending consonants that never stop. They don''t add to the sound of the word in any way, they are just there to irritate others.
I like to tell myself that, but they''re probably equally obnoxious to people that get really annoyed by extra letters!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"It is what it is" gets on my nerves. What else would it be but what it is, and what does the expression mean anyway?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 12:15:23 AM
Author: Galateia

2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

UGGGGH!! This, and ''pacifically'' instead of ''specifically''.
29.gif

I am so tired of this. I have started being a jerk about it and making snotty comments about ''atlantically'', and so far only one of my coworkers has caught the joke and it cracks her up every time she overhears me.

I also use ''Oh Em Gee'' all the time but that''s only because I''ve managed to insert it instead of the stream of epithets that were about to come spewing out of my mouth. Since we''ll be immediately terminated if we use foul language in the hearing of management, it behoves me to have a last-minute stand-in if something overloads my tolerance.
Gala, I''m with you on ''pacifically'' and ESPECIALLY ''supposably''. Also, one of my friends consistently pronounces ''frustated'' as ''fustrated''. Amuses me (annoys me) to no end!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 7:47:27 AM
Author: PinkAsscher678

2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

I find that''s more of a regional accent than slang. Living in the south for a number of years, I heard that a lot, as well as ''toof'' (tooth), ''Erf'' (Earth) and ''Surrday'' (Saturday). My husband says ''Birfday'' and it drives me up the wall!!!

Have you ever heard anyone pronounce, "teeth," as,"teef?" Or instead of, "Saturday," they''ll say,"Saurtey."

I have a cousin that would say, "frenfry," instead of, "French Fry." I secretly wanted to punch her in the mouth.

And I cannot stand when someone says, "Yes I''m is."

These are reasons why the South isn''t for me. I''ll say things like, "y''all," and, "hotter than fish grease," but a line MUST be drawn somewhere!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 4:44:26 PM
Author: princesss
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~NeThInG tHaT lOoKs LyKe DiS dRiVeS mE nUtSoRz!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!!1!1!~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

<3******** !!!!11111!!!!11!!1!!!1 OmGoRz ReEaLlieZ bUtZ tHaYTz LykS AweSoMeZ YoUz B KoOooLz 4 WrItton LyKz tHaT iTz tOtallIe 1337 !!!!11111!!!!11!!1!!!1 <3********

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:38:50 PM
Author: Maisie
Date: 3/12/2010 1:20:38 PM

Author: Haven

I don''t like Tar-jey either.

My sister''s friends say ''What a ridic sitch'' as in ''what a ridiculous situation.'' Ugh.
20.gif

I hate it when people say ''What''s the poop?'' instead of ''what''s the scoop?'' I know someone who says ''What''s the poop and scoop?'' Gross.

grins.gif

I think I am having an immature moment, but this made me crack up!!

Me too I gigglesnorted at that one :razz:
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
When people say app-reee-ciate instead of app-reesh-iate it makes me what to kick them not sure why it just gets on my nerves O''Mah-gee :razz:

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Spending the night on a beach in a sleeping bag in March is pretty nutty.

Oh yeah, and I hate when my teen misspells things in her Facebook updates.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
When people respond to posts by simply typing:

"This"

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
or ditto (which I''m totally guilty of).

I had a new one yesterday and I can''t remember what it was!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 7:42:54 AM
Author: waterlilly

''This''

Why does that bother you?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 2:31:11 AM
Author: pennquaker09

2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

I find that''s more of a regional accent than slang. Living in the south for a number of years, I heard that a lot, as well as ''toof'' (tooth), ''Erf'' (Earth) and ''Surrday'' (Saturday). My husband says ''Birfday'' and it drives me up the wall!!!

Have you ever heard anyone pronounce, ''teeth,'' as,''teef?'' Or instead of, ''Saturday,'' they''ll say,''Saurtey.''

I have a cousin that would say, ''frenfry,'' instead of, ''French Fry.'' I secretly wanted to punch her in the mouth.

And I cannot stand when someone says, ''Yes I''m is.''

These are reasons why the South isn''t for me. I''ll say things like, ''y''all,'' and, ''hotter than fish grease,'' but a line MUST be drawn somewhere!

I say y''all, and when someone tells me something unbelievable I say "*gasp* Shut the front door!"

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 2:31:11 AM
Author: pennquaker09

2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

Have you ever heard anyone pronounce, ''teeth,'' as,''teef?'' Or instead of, ''Saturday,'' they''ll say,''Saurtey.''

I have a cousin that would say, ''frenfry,'' instead of, ''French Fry.'' I secretly wanted to punch her in the mouth.

And I cannot stand when someone says, ''Yes I''m is.''

These are reasons why the South isn''t for me. I''ll say things like, ''y''all,'' and, ''hotter than fish grease,'' but a line MUST be drawn somewhere!

That''s not a Southern thing... that''s an ebonics thing. Just poor English. I live in the South and it drives me crazy to hear that kind of speech!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I admit it!

I have two speech patterns (or habits?) that people often notice, and I think it's because they find my speech annoying. I don't do them on purpose, and I've tried to stop both of them and I'm unable to do so.

The first is this:
I have a whistling "S". I cannot help this. When I pronounce the "S" sound, it whistles. I think it has something to do with my two front teeth. I hoped it would go away once I got veneers, but it didn't.

The second is this:
I always pronounce the "t" sound as a proper "t". Most people seem to say "mi'ens" instead of "miTTens". I say "miTTens". I've tried to stop, but it's very unnatural for me, and I just can't make a habit of it.

Once during a department meeting, one of my colleagues (and good friends) passed a note to me. It read something like this:

-----------------------
Please find a way to read the following poem aloud at some point during this meeting. If you do so, I promise to judge (for free!) at every one of your remaining speech tournaments this year.

When kittens have mittens
They find themselves smitten
With the yarn that's used to make them

Admittedly so,
Mittens are ill befitted
For Kittens
As they have such sweet, tiny paws

So the bitter among us
Get the jitters when we see
Knitters knitting mittens for kittens
And wish they would quit outfitting themselves
With such silly duds
----------------------

Ah, the joys of working with English teachers.
9.gif

I didn't read the poem aloud, but it was very tempting. It's so difficult to find good judges for speech tournaments.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 7:42:54 AM
Author: waterlilly

'This'

I HATE that too! "Ditto" and "+1" don't bother me at all, though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 1:22:53 PM
Author: Haven
OK, I admit it!

I have two speech patterns (or habits?) that people often notice, and I think it''s because they find my speech annoying. I don''t do them on purpose, and I''ve tried to stop both of them and I''m unable to do so.

The first is this:
I have a whistling ''S''. I cannot help this. When I pronounce the ''S'' sound, it whistles. I think it has something to do with my two front teeth. I hoped it would go away once I got veneers, but it didn''t.

----------------------
Haven...teacher with a speech problem?
33.gif

okay, let me hear you say the word (S**T) out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results