shape
carat
color
clarity

Random rediculousness

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Apparently I''m an idiot. I kept looking at "l8r" trying to figure out what the hell it meant! I dislike all numbers that are used in place of letters!!

oh, another short cut I hate. "NEWAY" really? it''s that hard to write "anyway"

I really dislike all text speak. Using "r" or "u" or "2" just bugs me.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 3:16:15 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
One of my co-workers always says 'oh em gee' out loud. THAT gets old real fast.

'oh em gee'
OMG
Ohmigawd
and any other variant: I hate em all. Makes me want to throw shoes.

That expression that the business world is so fond of: "a lot on your plate." No, Dearie, it's on my friggin' SLATE, SLATE, SLATE!!! ON. THE. SLATE!! (I'm jumping up and down by now, and my face is all beet red.
9.gif
) I put my task list on the SLATE, as in on a blackboard. Never on a plate, thank you very much. If you want yours on a plate, it's your business. But task list on a plate just sounds silly to me.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
{quote]our guesses are almost as close as mine were! I posted this as a kind of inside joke to myself. I am currently taking a course in Russian and was supposed to be saying "Where is the nearest telephone I need to call a friend" but instead ended up writing something totally different. My brother (who is fluent) almost died laughing when he read it[/quote]

HAHAHAHAAHAHA! So it''s translated "Here''s a quarter; call someone who cares."
9.gif
Love your avatar, too, PinkAsscher.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 9:28:31 PM
Author: HVVS

That expression that the business world is so fond of: 'a lot on your plate.' No, Dearie, it's on my friggin' SLATE, SLATE, SLATE!!! ON. THE. SLATE!! (snip) I put my task list on the SLATE, as in on a blackboard. Never on a plate, thank you very much. If you want yours on a plate, it's your business. But task list on a plate just sounds silly to me.
I have, of course, heard people say, "He has a lot on his plate". I have never heard anyone say what sounds like the correct version of the expression, "He has a lot on his slate". It makes sense, though. The expression is supposed to denote being overwhelmed with things to do. Having a slate full of tasks listed that one must get through seems arduous; having a plate full of food sounds lovely.

I think that in this thread we were not supposed to focus on grammar. I do not know if that meant expressions like the one above should not be discussed. I'll sneak one more in here, though: toe the line. If one is forced to toe the line, he is forced to control himself, to keep his toe at the line...not to cross it. I'm not sure why that is so hard, but few people get it. :)

AGBF
34.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 9:33:36 PM
{quote]our guesses are almost as close as mine were! I posted this as a kind of inside joke to myself. I am currently taking a course in Russian and was supposed to be saying ''Where is the nearest telephone I need to call a friend'' but instead ended up writing something totally different. My brother (who is fluent) almost died laughing when he read it

HAHAHAHAAHAHA! So it''s translated ''Here''s a quarter; call someone who cares.''
9.gif
Love your avatar, too, PinkAsscher.[/quote]

Hahaha I know
9.gif
my brother about fell off his chair! And thanks I love that pic too.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 11:10:45 PM
Author: AGBF

That expression that the business world is so fond of: ''a lot on your plate.'' No, Dearie, it''s on my friggin'' SLATE, SLATE, SLATE!!! ON. THE. SLATE!! (snip) I put my task list on the SLATE, as in on a blackboard. Never on a plate, thank you very much. If you want yours on a plate, it''s your business. But task list on a plate just sounds silly to me.

I have, of course, heard people say, ''He has a lot on his plate''. I have never heard anyone say what sounds like the correct version of the expression, ''He has a lot on his slate''. It makes sense, though. The expression is supposed to denote being overwhelmed with things to do. Having a slate full of tasks listed that one must get through seems arduous; having a plate full of food sounds lovely.

I think that in this thread we were not supposed to focus on grammar. I do not know if that meant expressions like the one above should not be discussed. I''ll sneak one more in here, though: toe the line. If one is forced to toe the line, he is forced to control himself, to keep his toe at the line...not to cross it. I''m not sure why that is so hard, but few people get it. :)

AGBF

34.gif

Deb, I have never heard the expression "a lot on my slate" either. In fact, I did a few internet searches for it and got very few results. "A lot on my plate," on the other hand, netted thousands of results. The slate expression certainly makes sense, but I don''t think it''s a widely used or accepted one. The plate expression is a metaphor, comparing one''s workload to a plate full of food...it isn''t to be taken literally. Even if "a lot on my slate" is *correct* we''re comparing apples to vacuums here, one meaning is literal and the other figurative, eh?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 11:24:50 PM
Author: monarch64
Date: 3/12/2010 11:10:45 PM

Author: AGBF

That expression that the business world is so fond of: ''a lot on your plate.'' No, Dearie, it''s on my friggin'' SLATE, SLATE, SLATE!!! ON. THE. SLATE!! (snip) I put my task list on the SLATE, as in on a blackboard. Never on a plate, thank you very much. If you want yours on a plate, it''s your business. But task list on a plate just sounds silly to me.

I have, of course, heard people say, ''He has a lot on his plate''. I have never heard anyone say what sounds like the correct version of the expression, ''He has a lot on his slate''. It makes sense, though. The expression is supposed to denote being overwhelmed with things to do. Having a slate full of tasks listed that one must get through seems arduous; having a plate full of food sounds lovely.

I think that in this thread we were not supposed to focus on grammar. I do not know if that meant expressions like the one above should not be discussed. I''ll sneak one more in here, though: toe the line. If one is forced to toe the line, he is forced to control himself, to keep his toe at the line...not to cross it. I''m not sure why that is so hard, but few people get it. :)

AGBF

34.gif

Deb, I have never heard the expression ''a lot on my slate'' either. In fact, I did a few internet searches for it and got very few results. ''A lot on my plate,'' on the other hand, netted thousands of results. The slate expression certainly makes sense, but I don''t think it''s a widely used or accepted one. The plate expression is a metaphor, comparing one''s workload to a plate full of food...it isn''t to be taken literally. Even if ''a lot on my slate'' is *correct* we''re comparing apples to vacuums here, one meaning is literal and the other figurative, eh?

I''m on team Deb and monnie here. I have NEVER heard "A lot on my SLATE." It''s definitely "A lot on my PLATE." I mean think about it-did people even have To Do lists when they were still using slates?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 4:19:59 PM
Author: VRBeauty
Date: 3/12/2010 3:16:15 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

One of my co-workers always says ''oh em gee'' out loud. THAT gets old real fast.

My neighbors named their dog dee-oh-gee. All I could think is gee, I''m guessing the adults, and not the kid, came up with that one.

One of my radio stations has a jewelry store as a sponsor, and they pronounce it ''jew-luh-ree.''
20.gif
In my book, that''s downright sacrilegious!

Um, yea, my dog is named D.O.G. (Dee-Oh-Gee), so thanks. It''s actually a pretty cute name, suits him and we get compliments on it all the time.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
And yes it was suppoed to be a dumb thread title. I know that ridiculousness is spelled incorrectly. Unfortunately my spell check doesn''t pick up misspellings in the title field.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I hate when people pronounce Ask as Aks (like Axe)....Really?!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 7:23:55 AM
Author: beechezz
I hate when people pronounce Ask as Aks (like Axe)....Really?!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

I find that''s more of a regional accent than slang. Living in the south for a number of years, I heard that a lot, as well as "toof" (tooth), "Erf" (Earth) and "Surrday" (Saturday). My husband says "Birfday" and it drives me up the wall!!!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
I thought of another one: xmas. I HATE the way people shorten Christmas to xmas. Makes me cringe.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 8:26:31 AM
Author: charbie
I thought of another one: xmas. I HATE the way people shorten Christmas to xmas. Makes me cringe.

X is actually used because (I'm quoting this from Wikipedia but learned this in Catholic school) "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ". I used to think it was because people were trying to omit Christ from the Christmas season, or just being lazy.

What makes me cringe is when people say "Jesus Christ" out of frustration or anger. To me it's just unbelievably ignorant and rude.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 8:36:01 AM
Author: PinkAsscher678

X is actually used because (I''m quoting this from Wikipedia but learned this in Catholic school) ''X'' comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as ''Christ''. I used to think it was because people were trying to omit Christ from the Christmas season, or just being lazy.

What makes me cringe is when people say ''Jesus Christ'' out of frustration or anger. To me it''s just unbelievably ignorant and rude.
Ha, that''s the original reason for writing Xmas, but people do use it because they''re lazy.

And I''ve definitely said "Jesus Christ!" on occasion. How is that ignorant or rude?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:03:00 AM
Author: thing2of2

X is actually used because (I''m quoting this from Wikipedia but learned this in Catholic school) ''X'' comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as ''Christ''. I used to think it was because people were trying to omit Christ from the Christmas season, or just being lazy.

What makes me cringe is when people say ''Jesus Christ'' out of frustration or anger. To me it''s just unbelievably ignorant and rude.

Ha, that''s the original reason for writing Xmas, but people do use it because they''re lazy.

And I''ve definitely said ''Jesus Christ!'' on occasion. How is that ignorant or rude?

Because it can be very offensive to people who hold that religious figure in a sacred way. I know we aren''t suppose to discuss religion, but since you asked.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:11:04 AM
Date: 3/13/2010 9:03:00 AM
Author: thing2of2

And I''ve definitely said ''Jesus Christ!'' on occasion. How is that ignorant or rude?

Because it can be very offensive to people who hold that religious figure in a sacred way. I know we aren''t suppose to discuss religion, but since you asked.

Right, but how does that make it ignorant or rude? A lot of people use it just like they use "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" Sort of a shortened prayer.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Edited: Rather, we can discuss it in a different thread if you would like. And my choice of words weren't the greatest. Perhaps instead of saying rude and ignorant I should have just said offensive. I was saying ignorant because it is being ignorant of other people's beliefs. Just understand that much like the word Xmas causes some to cringe, so does Jesus Christ (used in anger or frustration) to others. That's all.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I can''t stand when people say prolly for probably - so my sister delights in saying it as often as possible
9.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of Ebay called "the bay" either - but I''m another Canadian where we actually have a store called "The Bay"

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 2:16:28 PM
Author: geckodani
When people call the Library the LiBerry.

Gecko~

As a librarian, that pronunciation drives me BATTY! However, after correcting many of my students, I''ve come to the realization that they aren''t doing it on purpose. They simply do not know how to pronounce the word properly. Ugh.

~LC

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 3:33:34 PM
It bothers me when people say ''ru-roh'' like Scooby Doo.
Oh I''m SOOOOOO guilty of this one! "Ruh roh, Shaggy!" Ha, I think I say that at least weekly.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 1:17:19 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
Date: 3/12/2010 3:33:34 PM

It bothers me when people say ''ru-roh'' like Scooby Doo.

Oh I''m SOOOOOO guilty of this one! ''Ruh roh, Shaggy!'' Ha, I think I say that at least weekly.

I am guilty of "lol" and "oh em gee!"
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:44:51 AM
Edited: Rather, we can discuss it in a different thread if you would like. And my choice of words weren''t the greatest. Perhaps instead of saying rude and ignorant I should have just said offensive. I was saying ignorant because it is being ignorant of other people''s beliefs. Just understand that much like the word Xmas causes some to cringe, so does Jesus Christ (used in anger or frustration) to others. That''s all.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way (offended) when someone says "Oh my God"? I have a lot of religious friends and apparently I have an automatic filter that kicks in around them - the phrase starts out as "Oh my God" in my head but by the time it gets to my mouth, it''s magically changed to "Oh my gosh"
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh and I really dislike when people answer the phone with, "Yellow!"

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 5:53:10 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Edited: Rather, we can discuss it in a different thread if you would like. And my choice of words weren''t the greatest. Perhaps instead of saying rude and ignorant I should have just said offensive. I was saying ignorant because it is being ignorant of other people''s beliefs. Just understand that much like the word Xmas causes some to cringe, so does Jesus Christ (used in anger or frustration) to others. That''s all.

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way (offended) when someone says ''Oh my God''? I have a lot of religious friends and apparently I have an automatic filter that kicks in around them - the phrase starts out as ''Oh my God'' in my head but by the time it gets to my mouth, it''s magically changed to ''Oh my gosh''
3.gif

I can''t speak for PinkAsscher, but speaking for myself...

I don''t get offended, but I do notice it, and like PA, I sometimes cringe. I notice and appreciate it when someone says "oh my goodness" or something else instead. But the "oh my gawd" is so ubiquitous now that I sometimes even find myself thinking it!

I once hade a lengthy phone call with a young kid who''s in a customer service job with my agency, in which he used OMG or just "God" quite liberally. (It was quite a while ago and I don''t remember the context.) Before the call ended I told him that some people consider that profanity and would find it offensive. I think a lot of people just don''t realize that.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 5:53:10 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way (offended) when someone says ''Oh my God''? I have a lot of religious friends and apparently I have an automatic filter that kicks in around them - the phrase starts out as ''Oh my God'' in my head but by the time it gets to my mouth, it''s magically changed to ''Oh my gosh''
3.gif

It''s really only when the person is speaking out of anger that it kind of bugs me. Like saying "Jesus Christ, could you turn your music up any louder?!" It has a lot to do with how I was raised. I''m not a particularly religious person but I grew up with the awareness (and 16 years of Catholic education) that you should never use a figure someone considers sacred in anger. It just doesn''t sit right with me.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
i admit that I don''t like "kewl"

I am guilty of saying "tar-jay" and "the Buck" (for Starbucks)

Deco- "Smorgasborg of Smilies" is classic! I''m still learning not to judge the smilies, but do find myself staying out of some PS threads because of them.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like seeing/hearing "Jesus Christ" either. It does literally make me cringe. "Oh my god" I choose to use the lower case g in my head so that it''s ok. It''s no longer speaking of God in general and I can tell myself that they''re talking about Zeuss or something. When I say OMG, I''m actually thinking "Oh My Gosh!" not "God." and I automatically insert that wording when I read OMG.

I''m a big fan of Holy Crap and I know that bugs my mom enormously! I also say "goodness" or "gracious" (I have a 4 yr old, you really gotta be careful) and my friends will laugh if that flies out instead of an appropriate swear.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What drives me just a little bit bonkers is receiving an email from an adult friend who doesn''t use any capital letters and absolutely no commas or periods. So I have to sit there and try to figure out where a sentence begins and ends. Then to make that worse, it''s filled with things like "r u going friday i can meet u at noon k" , not to mention all the misspelled words.

It''s very irritating!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2010 1:23:28 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I don''t like seeing/hearing ''Jesus Christ'' either. It does literally make me cringe. ''Oh my god'' I choose to use the lower case g in my head so that it''s ok. It''s no longer speaking of God in general and I can tell myself that they''re talking about Zeuss or something. When I say OMG, I''m actually thinking ''Oh My Gosh!'' not ''God.'' and I automatically insert that wording when I read OMG.

I''m a big fan of Holy Crap and I know that bugs my mom enormously! I also say ''goodness'' or ''gracious'' (I have a 4 yr old, you really gotta be careful) and my friends will laugh if that flies out instead of an appropriate swear.
"Everybody Loves Raymond''s" Dad, Frank Barone made "holy crap" a very common and funny expression. My husband says it like Frank sometimes and it makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results