shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here''s my 0.02p on the thread split discussion...

There are a bunch of people that I feel I went through the whole TTC, Preggo stage with: Mela, Blen, DD, Fiery, Robbie, Sabine, NYC, Cdt, Ebree etc and then others who were not long behind - China, PG, natalina etc

When the threads originally split, ''my'' cohort were the first newbies on the new Newborns thread and a lot of it was us all trying to find our feet together with a few BTDT mommies popping it with advice.

My worry is that all the new graduates may not appreciate endless advice from all the BTDT''s - as seen in discussions on other threads many of us have definite preconceptions of how things will be, that 6 months down the line have not turned out as imagined. However we all have the right to make our own mistakes and it strikes me sometimes that even when advice is requested newbies may have a ton of comments that don''t make them feel that they are right to follow their own instincts.

Perhaps they would all prefer to find their feet together for the first months???

I''m probably talking complete rubbish here, but just thought I throw it out there. I for one am not in contact with anyone from these threads on FB or similar, so everything I have to say or ask is up here for the world and his dog to see!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 5:21:27 PM
Author: Pandora II
Okay, here''s my 0.02p on the thread split discussion...

There are a bunch of people that I feel I went through the whole TTC, Preggo stage with: Mela, Blen, DD, Fiery, Robbie, Sabine, NYC, Cdt, Ebree etc and then others who were not long behind - China, PG, natalina etc

When the threads originally split, ''my'' cohort were the first newbies on the new Newborns thread and a lot of it was us all trying to find our feet together with a few BTDT mommies popping it with advice.

My worry is that all the new graduates may not appreciate endless advice from all the BTDT''s - as seen in discussions on other threads many of us have definite preconceptions of how things will be, that 6 months down the line have not turned out as imagined. However we all have the right to make our own mistakes and it strikes me sometimes that even when advice is requested newbies may have a ton of comments that don''t make them feel that they are right to follow their own instincts.

Perhaps they would all prefer to find their feet together for the first months???

I''m probably talking complete rubbish here, but just thought I throw it out there. I for one am not in contact with anyone from these threads on FB or similar, so everything I have to say or ask is up here for the world and his dog to see!
Pandora, that is a good point, but from what I can see, all the moms seem pretty sensitive in that they really don''t give advice unless it''s ASKED for. At least that''s what I''ve seen (and remember from Amelia''s early days). Yes, things can spin off into discussion, but mostly it''s because people ask for opinions.

It''s kind of like wedding dresses...people don''t seem to give their honest opinions and advice unless it''s asked for....

As for following their instincts...honestly, they should just do that. I know that a mom can second guess yourself and that''s why she''ll ask, but with anything on a public forum, I feel that if you ask, be prepared to get all sorts of answers and opinions. We''re just fortunate that on PS, mothers here do generally tend to be civil and respectful.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Popping in to say HI!
35.gif
Didn''t realize I hadn''t posted in awhile. Have been reading along but with the holidays and returning to work just haven''t found time to post. Was thinking about you girls though.

Today is my second day back at work. Pumping in my office as I type. Oh the joys of pumping in an office!!!
14.gif

Here are my quick thoughts on things I can remember:

Splitting threads- Don''t care. Like them the way they are now, though it does seem a bit weird when people feel like the "have" to graduate to the next thread or "can''t" officially join the next phase until a certain time. I think people should post where they naturally feel comfortable or need help. So Neat doesn''t "have" to jump immediately to the toddler thread on December 19, but can stay here
36.gif
. But can also post there as her boys get older and she may have more in common with some older kids. But I am okay with whatever. I know I don''t post a lot, but I read all the time and get so much wisdom from everyone, regardless of what thread it is.

Tummy time- Always forget to do it, but O loves lifting his head up and seems to have developed strong neck muscles regardless.

Mandarine- Skip that feeding if it helps the boys go longer! I noticed if I woke O up anytime before 10:30 pm to eat, then he wouldn''t wake up till 6 or 7 am, but if I woke him up at 10:30, then he''d get up at 3. So I obviously stopped waking him up later! As long as boys are old enough to not need waking up every 3 hours, then do what works best. Trust your instincts.

Sabine- How was your Thanksgiving??? Was thinking of you since you were going to be all alone.
7.gif

Robbie- Sorry about your uncle. Thinking of you.

Blen- Sorry about your doggie.

There it goes again, I know I had a ton of things to say but I can''t keep a thought in my hand for longer than 10 seconds.

Need to get out of here to beat the traffic so I can go buy more pump bags before the store closes. And to see my little guy.
30.gif

Will be back around these parts more often, hopefully, now that I am at work and have a little bit of downtime during the days.

Hi to everyone, and SUCH CUTE PICS!!!!!! Love your babies, they make me smile.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Tao-Real cute!

China-Hi!
2.gif

Now that I have my camera cord at work, here''s a pic of Sophia sitting/tripoding with my crappy point & shoot
14.gif
3.gif
. I shared these on FB too. We had to put the blanket behind her because she thinks its really funny to throw herself back.

sophiasortasitting.JPG

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Is it totally sick and inappropriate that I want Romeo to date any of the cutie-patootie's here? Sophia, Daisy? Want a pre-arranged prom date?? lol Daisy looks positively ADORABLE in the pool, and Sophia is a little bundle of squishy LOVE. I love them all so mcuh!

re: thread splittng. I'm cool with however the majority wants to handle it, but I do think in general we should all just alter our perception of "how" we post. Like Neat, DD and others have said - it's okay to NOT reply to each and everyone. I do when I have time. Other times, I just respond to someone or something specifically.

on that note

re: bad habits. Dreamer hit it on the head with "start as you want to finish". This should be your overarching mantra, but by all means don't lose sleep (literally) over anything in the early weeks. I personally started sleep training DAY 1 but I really didnt "worry" until DS "woke up to the world" which was at about 3.5 months. After that, I made sure I was more respectful of things like naps and routine.

As for waking your baby up to sleep. I woke Romeo up if he slept 3 hrs, because I wanted to make sure I got in all his feeds in the daytime hours, so that I could let him sleep as long as he wanted at night. This also helped avoid day/night confusion. I hope this helps!

Romeo is totally teething. I had a whining crying PITA today. Thank God he's so cute....Poor little Monkey.

Oh, and solids are going WELL. Rice cereal. check. Banana. Check. STINKY POOPS. CHECK
emotion-41.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness Fiery Sophia is just SO CUTE with that full head of hair! And look at her sitting up on her own. Crazy. Feels like she was just born huh?

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Fiery

What a cutie pie!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 4:33:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 12/2/2009 4:23:57 PM

Author: dreamer_dachsie

OK LADIES, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

I think we all need to put on our big girl panties and stop being oversensitive about any of this thread talk... Seriously folks, it is nothing personal against any one person or people and if you feel that way, well stop it
3.gif

Don't you all know that 99% of people's behaviour is motivated by selfish interests? People like me and TDM and some others are about to 'graduate' because we have the oldest babies, which means leaving all our friends here and going to a new thread. THAT is the more likely motivation for any of our concerns about threads and size and all that jazz. At least it is for me. The moms in the older kids thread are GREAT people but I simply don't know them as well, and ther babies are older, and they are all cooler than me
3.gif
. It is like going to highschool from elementary school. Can you blame anyone for wanting to maintain the status quo?

Anyways, I have said my piece and I think we should just leave all the threads as they are. I think people will indeed drop out sometimes and people will move as they like, and I think that we should all just post where we want to post, however old our kids are!
9.gif

There are no rules here, we can do as we like. I say let sleeping dogs lie. And then you will all just have to accept that I will hang around here as long as I darn well please and move on when some of my friends are ready to move to. Then we will be the cool new kids in the toddler thread and we can have a rumble like in the OUtsiders and West Side Story
11.gif

See, problem solved
2.gif
Well said DD.

We will allow you to come play with us now.
3.gif

Well said indeed, DD.

Thanks everyone for thinking over the suggestion I made. I hope you know me well enough by now to know that it wasn't my intent to hurt anyone's feelings or cause drama. It seems like some people are very opposed and some people in favor (both today and some who spoke up earlier).

The whole reason I suggested what I did was not to exclude anyone or try and rock the boat. I was trying to think of the best way to stay organized, and to keep a great thing (these threads!) going in the most user-friendly way as more people come on board. It was just an idea, not meant to upset anyone. I hadn't realized that the toddler thread had slowed down and that that group didn't mind an influx of new posters as we graduate up. Also good to know that the newest new moms like to have us "old timers" (ha!) hanging around, AND good to know that people don't mind if people don't address everyone and just address the posts that resonate with them. I think we are better off for having had the discussion.

I am pretty sure, though, that at some point in the future, we WILL be having this conversation again about splitting crowded threads, although I won't be the one to raise it.

___

We decided to take our extended family visit road trip sooner than originally planned. I'm stressed out about going out of town with a baby who doesn't travel well (or sleep well in the pack and play).... cross your fingers for me. I don't think I'll be on PS while I'm away, since a lot of the people we're visiting don't have internet. It's probably a good thing, as I seem to be causing all kinds of trouble over here lately. I'll slip back in under the radar when we're back in town.

Fiery Sophia couldn't be any cuter. I love those pics of her sitting! What beautiful hair!

About schedules and all that Funnily enough, the last 3 days in a row A was awake at 8:04 am on the dot. Apparently he is putting HIMSELF on a strict schedule! :)

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Jeez, I have computer issues for a day and thread explodes.
3.gif

Splitting the thread - I also hadn''t realized that the toddler thread moves at a slower pace, but it does make sense. And just a big DITTO to DD''s post. I was also thinking selfishly, because my itsy bitsy baby is going to be 8 months old in just a few days and I''m sure he''ll hit the year mark before I know it and then I''ll have to leave all of my friends who have younger babies. But I can suck it up.
2.gif

Fiery - OMG what a cutie.
Because we''re semi-broke, as a family we are giving a single gift to each of the grandparents/aunts/uncles: a framed photo of George. And they better like it.
3.gif

Tao - During the daytime sleep, are you making it super obvious that it''s daytime? Like, curtains open, not really making much of an effort to be quiet, etc?

Robbie - Thinking of you and your family.

Nursing to sleep - I do it. But we have a couple of other guaranteed ways of knocking him out, which I think is what''s key. I also don''t burp him at night.

Losing the baby weight - I lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks.
16.gif
Only (ha!) 10 lbs to go.

I just found out that one of George''s cloth books was found to have lead in it. Between that, and a few recent recalls, I''m starting to feel paranoid about baby product safety.

George, April 7.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 11:50:04 PM
Author: Blenheim
Jeez, I have computer issues for a day and thread explodes.
3.gif

Splitting the thread - I also hadn''t realized that the toddler thread moves at a slower pace, but it does make sense. And just a big DITTO to DD''s post. I was also thinking selfishly, because my itsy bitsy baby is going to be 8 months old in just a few days and I''m sure he''ll hit the year mark before I know it and then I''ll have to leave all of my friends who have younger babies. But I can suck it up.
2.gif

Fiery - OMG what a cutie.

Because we''re semi-broke, as a family we are giving a single gift to each of the grandparents/aunts/uncles: a framed photo of George. And they better like it.
3.gif

Tao - During the daytime sleep, are you making it super obvious that it''s daytime? Like, curtains open, not really making much of an effort to be quiet, etc?

Robbie - Thinking of you and your family.

Nursing to sleep - I do it. But we have a couple of other guaranteed ways of knocking him out, which I think is what''s key. I also don''t burp him at night.

Losing the baby weight - I lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks.
16.gif
Only (ha!) 10 lbs to go.

I just found out that one of George''s cloth books was found to have lead in it. Between that, and a few recent recalls, I''m starting to feel paranoid about baby product safety.

George, April 7.

Awesome about the baby weight Blen!!!! That is fantastic! I agree with you about baby product safety. It seems like something is getting recalled every time I turn around. Our crib is a drop side - not the brand that was recalled, but I''m hoping it won''t be next. I really don''t want to have to buy a new crib at this point!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
TDM I know you didn't mean anything by it-but no matter how the threads are split someone gets left out. And even this way at least one person gets kicked out (me). And it sucks to feel like you are being kicked out-which is how I felt last year when the threads were split. I know no one means to hurt feelings-but it happened last time (and I wasn't the only one) and it will happen if the threads are split again. I fully admit that this is very personal to me (and I also admit that it shouldn't be) because I was kicked out last time and would now be kicked out again.

I guess I just don't see the problem even if there are a lot of mommies posting on the threads-people drop out over time and new people will join. Both times it's been suggested to split I didn't find it overwhelming-but I recognize that other people do. I think we all just need to get over feeling guilty about posting to everyone-we all know how it is we are BUSY! No one will be offended if not every person responds to them!

Sorry, done. Just had to hang all my emotional baggage out there.
3.gif
Back to our regularly scheduled programming!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Blen: He''s a pretty heavy sleeper. The other day when he slept, we went to a restaurant, went to my parents, came home and was in the living room. He slept through the tv, me doing the dishes and laundry. I''m wondering if it was just a fluke though, he was awake earlier in the day when we visited my job...maybe he was just super stimulated there--being passed around a new place and new people?

so far the new schedule went fairly well. We had him down from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and he was back up at 4:45. This is back to his normal schedule..so I''m pretty happy so far.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
CIO UPDATE!

Put him down at 7:15 last night. After the seahorse stopped playing, he started crying, but I could tell he was at least trying to self-soothe, and by 7:45, he was asleep! Woo-hoo!!!!

He did wake up after a half hour and had to cry a little bit again, and then woke up again several times throughout the night. I had some weak moments at around 11 when he had been crying off and on (never heavily) for almost an hour. I CONVINCED myself that he was crying and not sleeping because he had pooped (he had been "trying" to go before bed but didn''t), so I eventually went in and checked. He immediately started laughing when he saw me. Felt like an idiot. I did quickly change him (just barely wet) and put him back down, and he was asleep again within 10 minutes. Then at 4:30 and 5:30 he woke up, and I was having a hard time because I was thinking he was hungry, but I kept telling myself to give him a half hour to see what he''d do, and he was asleep again in 15 minutes both times. He''s still sleeping now (6:40). So I am counting this a MAJOR success, and I''m so proud of my little boy!

2 questions though....
1 - should I go in to wake him up at his normal wake time (or close to it) since he might oversleep since he missed some sleep? I think I probably shouldn''t let him sleep longer than till 7:30 since that would disrupt his day schedule.

2- How do you all feel about white noise? I know it''s another sleep association, but it''s one I can leave on all night (I have the homedics sound spa lullaby machine on rain) and easily take with us if we''re traveling, etc. I like it because I feel like it blocks out the other noise in the house, the dog barking, my phone ringing, the tv, etc. but worry that if he always sleeps with it on, he will grow up needing it and need it forever!

ETA, oh my Fiery, Sophia is just THE CUTEST!!!!

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone
35.gif
35.gif

This thread is hopping! I started work this week, so have VERY little PS time, but just wanted to pop in and say hi!

I''m adjusting REALLY well to being back at work! I''m actually totally surprised how well I''m doing. Other than crying Monday morning (and lots of tears Sunday night), I''ve been OK! No tears at work
36.gif
36.gif
It''s weird, as content as I was SAH, I actually feel really good being at work again. So far...so good. Although I have a TERRIBLE cold and Lex is congested
7.gif
I guess it''s the price you pay for daycare, but he gets so happy when he sees his teachers in the morning, so I know he''s doing well. I just hate to see him sick
39.gif

I''m ok w/ whatever happens RE: Thread splitting.

I know I''m going to miss a ton of people, but real quick....

Fiery - I commented on FB, but you know I love those chubby legs!!! Sophia is such a doll
30.gif

Pandora - Love the pics of Daisy...I can''t wait to be able to take Lex into a pool!

Sabine - we use white noise and I think it rocks
3.gif
We live in a building though (condo) so we need something to "drown out" the noise from neighbors.

Lex is 6 months today...born June 3rd
36.gif
36.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 2:56:53 AM
Author: neatfreak
TDM I know you didn''t mean anything by it-but no matter how the threads are split someone gets left out. And even this way at least one person gets kicked out (me). And it sucks to feel like you are being kicked out-which is how I felt last year when the threads were split. I know no one means to hurt feelings-but it happened last time (and I wasn''t the only one) and it will happen if the threads are split again. I fully admit that this is very personal to me (and I also admit that it shouldn''t be) because I was kicked out last time and would now be kicked out again.

I guess I just don''t see the problem even if there are a lot of mommies posting on the threads-people drop out over time and new people will join. Both times it''s been suggested to split I didn''t find it overwhelming-but I recognize that other people do. I think we all just need to get over feeling guilty about posting to everyone-we all know how it is we are BUSY! No one will be offended if not every person responds to them!

Sorry, done. Just had to hang all my emotional baggage out there.
3.gif
Back to our regularly scheduled programming!

You are right - you would be "kicked out" technically by the year. But I said (couple posts ago) that I really hope you would stay on this thread. A lot of other people also said that they want you to stay here. So that''s kind of the opposite of being kicked out in my book! You are such an important part of this thread!

As you said, back to regular programming!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!

Mela-Sophia''s not good at sharing
11.gif

Sabine-I''m really proud of Jacks
16.gif
. It sounds like he''s going to get better at it as time goes on.
36.gif

TDM-When will you be in the Orlando area? It''s such a good time to visit Disney right now (before the holidays).

Neat-I agree that you are very important to this thread!!

Happy 6 month day to Lex
36.gif
36.gif
emotion-19.gif

So Sophia is sleeping much better. She gives me a 7 hour stretch, eats, and then sleeps for 5 more hours. The problem is 2 things:

1. She wakes to eat at 4:45am
14.gif
(I cannot function between 4 and 6)
2. She will sleep for an additional 5 hours after she wakes up but unfortunately I have to get her up and out of bed at 7am to take her to MILs. She will usually stay awake for 30 minutes when she gets there before sleeping. It''s such an interruption to her sleep. FI isn''t working today and didn''t work on Monday so she was able to wake up when she was ready to instead of being woken up.

So right now she sleeps from 9pm until 4:30/5am and then I get her up at 7. I would eliminate the 4:30 feed but when I go in there she is really hungry. She starts sucking on my face and then will eat for 15 minutes or so. I''m going to try to put her down at 7:30 to see if maybe she''ll sleep until 2:30 and then wake up on her own at 7am. The only problem with 7:30 bedtime is that in the past she would treat it as a nap, would wake at 10, and wouldn''t go back to sleep until sometimes midnight.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Sabine-I absolutely love our white noise machine (we have the same BCM
2.gif
). Her room is right next to the living room so it blocks out all of the noise. I don''t know if she really associates it with sleep too much since it''s only on at night (not for naps except for on the weekends) but it''s awesome. We take it with us when traveling too.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Hi mamas! Sorry to be so absent lately! Im reading when I can, but don''t find time to post much. And when I DO post, I generally only have time to reply to those posts on the current page (no time to click back). I''m sorry to miss folks and I hope no one minds!

Re: thread splitting, I''m open to whatever the majority want to do and it seems that we''re going to NOT split which is fine by me. It IS harder to stay up to date on everyone here given how many people are posting now but it sounds like perhaps it will be easier once we move on to the other thread.

China, I hope being back at work is going okay for you!

fiery, I think putting Sophia down earlier will help with her sleep. I don''t think she will automatically keep the same sleep rhythm though so it make take a couple of days for her to adjust. Great pics BTW - she''s cutie!

Mela, yay for solids! boo for theething!

DD, I loved your post re: thread splitting - my big girl panties are on!

TDM, when do you leave on your trip? I hope A does better with the traveling than you expect!

tao, glad the new schedule is working out

Sabine, yay for the success you had with CIO!! re: your questions: yes, I would get him up by 7 or 7:30 if he isn''t up on his own by then. We have a white noise machine that I have in Sage''s room and I turn it on for her all night and for her naps. I used it when she was really small and then started again when we began to sleep train her. I think it helps her sleep.

cdt, I''m SO glad being back at work is going well! What a relief! BUmmer about your cold though.

We''re doing okay though Sage and I are both sick which is no fun. Very congested and coughing. I hope we''re better soon!

She has been sleeping relatively well though with her congestion and coughing, she''s been up more at night and I''m a little more lenient about the no eating at night thing since I think more fluids might help her get better more quickly.

Question re: Solids, How much / how often do you feed your kids solids? I''ve only been giving Sage solids (still on purees) at night but this morning I added breakfast since I feel like maybe she should be eating solids more? She will be 9 months old this month. Your thoughts?

gotta run!
M

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Tao, how much does he weigh? The "formula" for calculating how much he needs to eat (according to one of the LCs I saw) is

weight x 2.5 divided by # of feedings

So as your baby gains more weight and has fewer feedings a day, the number of ounces you need to give him will increase.

Pandora, I personally appreciate the BTDT advice, even if it's not something I want to try at the moment. Other people's experiences and reassurances are invaluable. Otherwise it's the blind leading the blind as far as advice goes.

So I ordered Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child after seeing it mentioned on this thread . . . and it's the world's longest book. I'm not planning to read the whole thing. But it did have a lot of information about what to expect at the 6 week mark and pointed out that as Claire becomes more socially aware, she needs us to be more respectful of where and how we put her to sleep. Too much stimulation will keep her awake. This theory has been proved true several times as she'll get fussy and upset being held downstairs and fall asleep pretty quickly once put in her crib by herself. Earlier on we needed to hold, bounce, and sing to get her to calm down.

After having a C/S and in my baby blues fog, I think I didn't bond with Claire to the fullest extent right at first. In the beginning, I really just fed her, and DH and my mom did everything else. As time has passed, I've been home alone with her a lot, learned her moods, and obviously done a lot of reading on babies, and I can tell DH feels out of the Claire loop. Last night again he tried to comfort her, but she didn't need comforting -- she was quiet and calm after eating and we could have just put her down in her crib. He took her in the guest room to watch tv with her until she fell asleep (the sound was keeping me awake so I don't think it was helping Claire along either), and I didn't want to be all "I'm the expert, so do as I say," and I knew he wanted time alone with her, so I let it go. But then of course she began wailing, and I went in to check on them and found DH performing a sort of rain dance -- loud singing, aerobic jumping, holding Claire away from his body with a hand under her neck and the other under her butt. Poor guy, and poor Claire -- who could fall asleep in those conditions? So I said he should just put her in her crib because she was going to cry either way. Just to see if I could calm her quickly I picked her up and sat with her in the rocking chair for no more than 15 seconds, and she was asleep.

I know it's partly just being the Mommy and having the boobs of life, and it's also partly that I need to share with DH all the stuff I'm learning (which I had just done, actually, but not enough obviously). He said he appreciates that I'm trying not to be Super Mommy to the rescue whenever she's upset, but I also don't want this night time work Claire up until she's inconsolable trend to continue.

Re: sleep. Last night was awesome! Claire ate at 9:15 p.m., 2:45 a.m., and 6:00 a.m. Then she went back to sleep until the 9:30 a.m. feeding. If that were what she did every night, I'd be a happy camper. I still didn't sleep all that well -- thought I heard a drip that signaled a leak from the rain, and then I think I'm just programmed to wake up after 4 hours between feedings now what with the rock hard boobs, but still . . . if we can keep this up, I'm sure I'll catch up on sleep soon!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
fiery - maybe but her down earlier, so she''ll still get the same hours but will be up in time to go to MIL. Cute pics!

cdt - welcome to the life of a working mom
2.gif
. I actually didn''t find going back to work too bad either, I hope it continues to go well for you.

Mrs - we started Kyle a bit earlier on solids, but the pedi said to only feed him 2 meals until his 9 month appointment. We''re now doing 3 meals and added protien. It seems to be working, he gets a bottle in the morning, a mid-morning solids snack, lunch of solids with a bottle, a bottle at 3:30pm, dinner of solids at 5:30pm, then his night bottle at 7pm. Before his 9 month he didn''t have the lunch feeding of solids, just an extra bottle then.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
We''ve established an unfortunate new routine:

1. Dress Claire in outfit for the day
2. Feed Claire
3. Claire has enormous poo
4. Discover poo has breached diaper
5. Do tiny load of baby laundry to avoid poo stain setting in

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 10:39:16 AM
Author: phoenixgirl
We''ve established an unfortunate new routine:

1. Dress Claire in outfit for the day

2. Feed Claire

3. Claire has enormous poo

4. Discover poo has breached diaper

5. Do tiny load of baby laundry to avoid poo stain setting in

Ooh Phoenix I am sorry. May I suggest 3 things?

1. Make sure she doesn''t need to move up to the next size diaper. A lot of blowouts often mean that you need to move up.

2. Don''t dress her until AFTER she eats!

3. In my experience I have never had the stain set on baby clothes! So if you don''t get to the laundry right away I doubt it will stain.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks NF! I fear the problem is user-error as she is wearing the size 1''s (8 to 14 pounds) and she''s only in the 9 pound range. And her poo did set on an outfit when I didn''t wash it right away, hence my concern. Usually the poo travels all the way up her back and spills out the top, always on the same side, so I am wondering if it has something to do with how I pick her up or carry her (this happens whether or not DH or I did the diaper). Either that or my girl is just a super pooper (cue Super Trooper by Abba . . .).

CDT, I''m so glad the transition back to work is going well!!! That must be a huge relief.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
What brand are you using?

DD has really big legs (see pic above lol) so we always have to get a size up and pretty much ignore the weight recommendations. She''s in a size 3 even though the size 2s go up to 18lbs and she''s only 14/15 right now. Her thighs are just too big for smaller sizes.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 12:45:44 PM
Author: fiery
What brand are you using?

DD has really big legs (see pic above lol) so we always have to get a size up and pretty much ignore the weight recommendations. She''s in a size 3 even though the size 2s go up to 18lbs and she''s only 14/15 right now. Her thighs are just too big for smaller sizes.

Same for us...Lex is already in size 4s because his legs are so chubby. He''s just under 20 lbs (I think the box says size 3''s go up to 22???)...but he''s been in 4s for awhile now....pretty much skipped size 3
3.gif

''

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix I agree with the others to try size 2 and also maybe try a different brand. If they don't help, nothing lost because you will eventually be able to use size 2 anyway. I find there is a lot of overlap on the sizes. Some blowouts just happen it seems, no matter what we do. A had one this morning in fact. I like Oxyclean to help with stains.

Fiery hi! We'll be in Orlando the middle part of next week. You won't be there by chance, will you? I think A's too young to enjoy Disney but maybe this time next year we'll visit again and try Disney or Sea World. About the sleeping, I'd do exactly what you said you are going to try - that is, try the earlier bedtime and see if maybe she'll have that feeding wakeup earlier and then wake up on her own earlier. Maybe her schedule is adjusting a bit as she is getting older.

Mrs Thanks for the well wishes. We leave either tomorrow after work or Saturday. We're driving so we're going to be flexible. I hope it will be fun!

Question on behalf of my friend Her DD is 8 months, same as A. She goes to bed just fine, but wakes up a couple hours later SCREAMING and will not stop unless they either hold her or bring the baby into bed with them. She and her DH don't really want to cosleep. My thoughts are that she should either decide she is OK with cosleeping or let her DD CIO. It's been a month now and she's really unhappy with the situation, especially because her DH is opposed to the cosleeping. I would probably CIO in the situation, personally, but she is not comfortable. What do you guys think, is there another way?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 1:13:30 PM
Author: TanDogMom

Question on behalf of my friend Her DD is 8 months, same as A. She goes to bed just fine, but wakes up a couple hours later SCREAMING and will not stop unless they either hold her or bring the baby into bed with them. She and her DH don''t really want to cosleep. My thoughts are that she should either decide she is OK with cosleeping or let her DD CIO. It''s been a month now and she''s really unhappy with the situation, especially because her DH is opposed to the cosleeping. I would probably CIO in the situation, personally, but she is not comfortable. What do you guys think, is there another way?
I would ask if she''s taken her to the doc to rule out anything.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 12:40:12 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Thanks NF! I fear the problem is user-error as she is wearing the size 1''s (8 to 14 pounds) and she''s only in the 9 pound range. And her poo did set on an outfit when I didn''t wash it right away, hence my concern. Usually the poo travels all the way up her back and spills out the top, always on the same side, so I am wondering if it has something to do with how I pick her up or carry her (this happens whether or not DH or I did the diaper). Either that or my girl is just a super pooper (cue Super Trooper by Abba . . .).

CDT, I''m so glad the transition back to work is going well!!! That must be a huge relief.

Hmmm maybe we just have a good washer then because I haven''t had any problems with it setting! And we''ve had a lot of baby poop on clothes around here!

As for the diapers-trust me, try it. The weight recommendations are only a guide and we more than once moved up a size when my kids were nowhere near the recommended weight. Also try different brands-they can make a difference too. Last, make sure that the diaper is pulled up as high as possible in the back-that might help too if it''s riding too low normally.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, need some help. Sorry for the selfish post, I see there are others out there with sleep questions, so I'll just say I'm thinking of you!

Ok, here's my deal:

I went back to work Tuesday. O went from being a great sleeper to getting up every few hours again. I got no sleep last night and have 2 big projects at work already. I'm dying and need to act fast so this doesn't go on longer than necessary.

Background Facts:
1. O has been sleeping through the night (for me this means his last wake-up is b/w 9 and 10 pm, and he doesn't wake up again till 7 am). He has been doing this for about 6 weeks now.
2. Tuesday night he got up at 3 am. Last night he got up at 10:30, 1:30, 4:00, 4:45, and then I had to wake him up at 8 am. DH fed him a bottle at 10:30, I fed him at 1:30 and put him back down at 3 am. He was up at 4 am, so DH got up, reswaddled him and tried to soothe him back to sleep. Ten minutes later he was up screaming again, so I fed him.
3. Two weeks ago the nanny started coming for a few hours every day. That week O got up at 3, 4 or 5 every morning. Thanksgiving week when it was just me, he slept through the night again.
4. Past two weeks he has started refusing to nurse during the day. Would act hungry, pull off and not eat but would take a bottle of expressed milk. He would nurse late at night or first thing in the morning. Now he seems back to nursing, but since I am at work, nanny gives him 3 bottles a day.
5. I am not opposed to CIO (in theory). But don't want to start that right now b/c I know we would need to be consistent, and I am just too exhausted right now. Plus my DH is in trial and needs sleep and our house is such that there is no way DH wouldn't be woken up by the crying. So CIO is an option, just not right now.
6. His schedule is still pretty much on the 3 hour cycle. So Eat at 7 am, Activity, Nap at around 8:30, up again to eat at 10 am, etc. He doesn't always nap for that long, but still takes about 3 naps a day.
7. Haven't established a bed time routine yet.
8. We still swaddle.
9. He doesn't really care about pacis.
10. Unless it's a growth spurt, I know he doesn't need to eat that often at night. He is eating plenty during the day and since he hasn't needed to eat during the night for 6 weeks, I know he can do it.
11. O is 15 weeks, so almost 4 months.

I really need help figuring out what's going on. I know it could be just an adjustment to the changes, or it could be a growth spurt. I know I need to give it a few more days, but if anyone has any advice on anything I could possibly do to nip this in the bud, that would be great. Or if anyone's been through this, some support that it won't last forever would help too.

TIA!

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like today is the day for advice! I''m desperate for suggestions....

P is now 10 1/2 months old and is a great sleeper at night, always has been. Naps however have always been an issue off and on. DH and I have been on vacation this week and we''re trying to establish a strict routine figuring this will benefit everyone, including MIL who watchs P twice a week and ALWAYS has issues getting/keeping him to sleep. Here''s our routine as of now... please chime in if you see an area that we can improve or change....

5:30-6:30am wakes up- 8oz bottle
8am breakfast
8:30-9am nap- usually only 1/2 hr to an hour
10ish a mid morning snack
12pm lunch
1:30nap (this is the one he always has issues with) Today he took a 10 min nap!
2:30ish 8oz bottle
5pm dinner
7pm bath & 8oz bottle
7:30 bed

His nightime routine has been like this since he was about 8 weeks old and again, he does great at night 99% of the time. I can''t get over that my kid "just isn''t a good napper, and be thankful he sleeps through the night" as many have put it to us, including our Ped. He''s usually in great spirits and is a very happy baby. We''ve tried to CIO after he gets up and like today, he just cries and cries until we figure it''s been long enough. (We went 45 minutes today
39.gif
) I know there are many new mommies on this thread but I''m hoping the few that have LO''s P''s age can chime in or even some of the seasoned mommies who visit from the toddler thread... I just don''t know what else to do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results