shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Identify my gem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here check this out...now there are some large ruby cabochons from india the size of yours...none of them have the color of yours but all you need to do is slap some facets on those cabs and you have roughly the same thing minus the good red of yours...you might be able to somewhat guage the price..maybe or triple or quadruplethe price of those huge ruby cabs and you might get an idea of what yours is worth...prices are in rupees? on that site...like I said yours has great color and the ones on this site don''t but all yours is is a cab with facets cut onto it..maybe maybe..maybe not?

http://jewellery.shop.ebay.in/items/Cabochon__W0QQMainQ2520GemstoneQ2520Q2526Q2520PearlsZRubyQQ_catrefZ1QQ_dmptZINQ5fJewelleryQQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ10255QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
whoops forgot to size url down....sorry folks

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Nice link.I have never browsed that section in ebay,one cause is that,I have never seen any near ones to buy Gems from Ebay,Second is that,I live in City of Joy-Kolkata,as you know here is a good number of Gem exporters just 20mins by car from my house!Actually,I bought from one old,alcoholic and numerous item(!)addicted man living in that area,I got easily an gem cutter in that raining mansoons evening to check for what am paying for.I would call him Gem cutter,as he does not have any degree on the subject,but have lot of experience-he said he have never seen such thing in his life(Age is nearly 60-62yrs).
You can say it was my ignorance not to find them at Ebay-basically,my thought is that,what is shown is not given in reallity.Hope you already read my post in that ebay thread!
I dont have the expertise to comment on thems,but they looks far dull.
Yes,they are priced in INR.But,really,I browsed from your link to see diamond price as reference,I got really surprised to see their low cost!!
I am very proud to say,India is a colourful country,but sadly,I must say there are lot of Scammers,not that some of my professional friends came to visit your country got in hand of them,people like me some times get caught in Carpet scams or like that,even their are some forums on the net for that discussion.
I am not saying the diamond sellers are scammers,but I cant beleive the price,because,these precious Gems,be it Diamond,Ruby,Emerald generally have near about the same price(converting to the local currency for that country) from all standard sellers all around the world.Two years ago,I went to brazill,but the good shops/showrooms quoted me just a bit lower price than the price of International market-and that low paid will be get paid by paying taxes/customes at airport,actually you will be looser.I caught in the hand of scammers in San Marino,Italy,just for my hobby for collection of Diecast scale modells of cars(enough off topic I have written-that story will be written another day!).Scammers are every where!
I want to point out that,Ebay price can not be taken as standard,especially for Gems.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I am very Sorry if I got rude
15.gif
@ amguy.
But,Ebay sellers really fired me
29.gif
for those softwares...
I dont know anything about Gems,as you peoples know-just out of my curiousness I came here,what it is,why peoples are calling me to get it from me,my profession is totally different.I collect some rocks,gems just to meet my minds hunger-and yes,you peoples really helping me
1.gif
I mean to say,from in my previous post is that,the man,from whom I got it,have no online access,so,it is not that he bought that from Ebay and fooled me-just to give you more clue about its origin.I think Ebay ones are really new ones mined,you can say better!

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Amguy will I suppy you that HUGE one?
36.gif
(punning intended)
but the courrior fee will be same as the price they offered
1.gif
-I recenty sent a handicraft gift to one of my near relative in UK.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Like I said yours is of a much better quality than anything even close on that page I linked but maybe it could give you some ideas. If you don''t mind I can copy your pics and email them to a couple of my guys in India who I get rough from and see what they say about it.. What is the weight and measurements?

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Surely@ amguy...you can copy the pics and the details as far I know has been writeen in this thread previously...but just right now I can not give you the measuremnts,as I kept it in locker.I can bring back to home,if you really need it.Also you can give me their contact nos.,email etc.Your help is welcome.I want to know the right i.d. of it,likely chemical composition,optical property etc.
I am going to contact Mr.Richard who,I think is one the right person so judge it.
Will I post some video?

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Any one can share the pics for the sake of proper identification,just mention the topic and forum from where it originated,as I have not watermarked the pics.
I have just mailed Mr.Richard Sherwood,and waiting for his reply.Many many thanks to Chrono for guiding me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re welcome, Ruby. I''m curious to see what Richard has to say about it.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Me too chrono...Basically,I am more interested towards its real identification.I think you can understand me,what am saying.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rubyisforlove.

First, I would point out that it''s difficult to identify stones from photos, and your best course of action is to take the stone to an accredited gem laboratory and have them give you a conclusive identification and identify any treatments (the biggest thing you have to worry about with this quality of stone is if the color is dyed).

That said, it does have the look of corundum (natural red corundum is ruby). The quality appears to be promotional (very low) quality. I can''t really help you out on value, as promotional quality stones are outside my field, but my gut instinct is that the value is not very high. More of a mineral specimen than anything else really.

You''re in the land of gems there. With a little research you shouldn''t have any trouble locating a reputable gem lab and/or a knowledgeable appraiser.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Mr.Richard Sheerwood.I will arrange for the same as you have advised,after that seison,I must inform you about the result and if doubt still persists,I will ask you for suggesting an appraiser abroad.
I have mentioned in this thread previously,Geological Survey of India could not help me in this case(just pointed out it is natural corrundum),I have to move towards others.Yes,I also think it is not possible to give an expert opnion from images,without seing it in real.
Again,thank you very much for helping me,and I wish you a warm welcome for nurturing positive attitude towards my Country.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Just sent an email to International Gemological Institute(India) asking them whether they will entertain personal gem testing request...

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I went to a local gemologist today...he said that,it is definitely corrundum,but the best test to detect its crystalline structure is to perform a X-ray crytallography.According to him,I will have to spend much money to perform such test on individual''s request.Also,IGI will not perform such test on routine basis.
Not received any mail yet today from IGI.
Any news from Amguy?
What should be my next move mates?
36.gif
Keep it as a paper weight/showpiece or proceed further to spend money?Am a bit confused
20.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here got a reply back from one of my dudes that supplies me stones over in India

Hello again Mr. Jason,
Thanks for your email.
Please check the attached picture of Ruby 427 grams.
We can supply this kind ruby to you in 2.20 US$ per gram.
We think the ruby's pictures you sent to us is dyed .We cant tell you any more on seeing just pictures.
We can supply Ruby in your required sizes also + 500 grams each
If you are interested we can supply our gemstones with certificate shows ( dyed correndum/Ruby ) + 500 grams each stone

Best Regards
Bhawani Shankar

Here is the pic he sent along of a dyed 427 gram(2135ct.) ruby/corundum

ruby nnnki.jpg

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Thanks amguy.I think this reference is quite nice.I dont want waste my money more or to research myself disturbing my works!
Enough is enough,I lost my money guys...I paid a huge..thank you very once again amguy..I cant get cool myself man.I paid nearly 5000$(converted & corrected) for it...shit man.shit.Double price

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
please keep i mind that is just from a picture and yours may not be dyed..that is just what he guessed as that is what he has and may not relate in anyway to yours...a dyed piece of corundum will cost far less then a natural so hopefully when or if you get it checked out it''s all natural

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Oh man not double...its per gram rate...my goodness.I cant calculate more my loss.It was nearly my a weeks income...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
on a similar note I also got an email from one of my guys in pakistan(coincidently) with some ruby chunks/crystals from Tajikstan total weight 116grams(580cts) pretty darn big for crystals from there..price $1500(well after you negotioate maybe down to $850-$1050)

ruby crysddd.jpg

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I must check it from IGI,though it will ruin some more money...but,I really broke into tears man...not that if I lost my money,but for that if I am cheated.Till not received any mail from IGI regarding sending procedure..

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Hey Ruby I might still get it checked out...try and find some gem and min. folks to look at it to give you some ideas and opinions and maybe a fair market price of what it''s worth...remember you can''t really tell anything from a picture compared to in person

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Oh,I dont know anything,if the IGI report shows it died one,I will throw it to River Ganges.Seeing it will triger my anger...

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
You never know both of my hookups for rough in India constantly tell me there are lots of gem and mineral cheats over there..I assume they are just telling me that so i don''t start going through other folks than them...but you never know...who did you get it from

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I knew that,I never bought any gem other than shops.This was my first time...just you can imagine friend my mental condition...4lakhs in Indian rupees...

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I bought it from an 24hour Alcoholic person,who sells some collectables,I sometimes buy Diecast scale model cars(my hobby),some rough stones,old bottles(Another hobby) from him...he said he bought it from some antique shop which was itself on auction being bankrrupted...I dont have bill either...

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Still its good that I have not sold to anyone...I would be a scam meself...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby,
I know it’s disconcerting but take several deep breaths and try to calm down. You still don’t know for sure if you’ve been scammed.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Many many thanks for consolation chrono.
I went to local apraiser today,I am writing in conversation form.
Me:"what it is actually?"
He:"Corrundum,but not of gem quality"
Me:"Can you tell me if any color work has been done?
He:"Certenly,it is lightly coloured by some cheap colors"
Me:"Can I remove the color?"
He:"Yes,but not youself,you have to give it to some polish workers"
Me:"Will it ruin the gem?"
He:"It will restore it to its original appearance"
Me:"Is its quality comparable with these(I took out amguys posted pics-color print out)two?"
He:"Not with the first one-it is very badly heavy colored and waxed.But its quality resembles with these rocks from Pakisthan,decolorizing will proove that."
Me:"What should its price?"
He:"Should not be stated for its current condition.Decolorize it,then I can say it precisely,but I can assure you,the stone will not be ruined"

Now,can you say,will I go for decolorizing process?And what is that actually?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is sounding worse by the day. I have a feeling the dye job was done to improve the colour and appearance; hence once removed, you will see that it may be pale and/or splotchy. Sounds like bleaching? I’m just guessing.
34.gif

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I asked about bleaching...he said they will just leave it in some warm distilled water...also the charge is very little,about 5$ or like that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results