shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Identify my gem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I have recently bought this gemstone weighing about 200gm(that is nearly 1000carats)from a person(not a gemologist-he bought from an auction) as "Natural Ruby" just for having an amazing collection.I would say,I paid a huge for that.Weeks after buying,I was a bit curious to know what it is really!So,I went to Geological survey of India(Goverment of India)-I knew the only place to test something weired like this one.there was a crowd grown to see it!The officials there began to call their Sirs over phone,saying "Sir,please come-we got a huge ruby to test".The higher officials came,they examined in various ways,finally,said that,it is very precious as it is a piece of natural corrundum known to common man as Ruby.They advised me to go to some centres where more advanced test can be done.
I was even advised to take it back safely.
Now,can you tell me what it is?I am an ignorant person about these kind of piece.Additionally,some people are calling me on my personal mobile to sell it to them none is threating me,but,please comment.

compresed.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoa! humungo picture. can you scale it down?

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Certainly...i can scale it down,but,will I not be blamed for posting same picture again?Moderators please allow me.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly..large and in charge...if I would guess it was cut from some ruby in zoisite rock which can get huge....check out this specimen photo..large ruby areas which can cut huge stones..opaque though

ruby zoisite.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
oh yea forgot to add those specimens are from India too.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2009 11:45:34 AM
Author: rubyisforlove
Certainly...i can scale it down,but,will I not be blamed for posting same picture again?Moderators please allow me.
you can post many of the same pictures, just rename your file though

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 11:46:55 AM
Author: amethystguy
Holy moly..large and in charge...if I would guess it was cut from some ruby in zoisite rock which can get huge....check out this specimen photo..large ruby areas which can cut huge stones..opaque though
I was thinking the same thing, amguy. Here is a ruby pendant set in sterling that I purchased last year from a local gem show for about $40-$50. It glows red under the UV. You can see a bit of the green matrix in the lower right corner. It''s just a fun piece, and I love rubies.

RubyforPS4459.JPG

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I am arranging for more photos...so it is really rare?The gemstone is not colored-I have tested by rubbing some oils,spirits,mild soaps(Dove body shampoo!) with white coloured towel in small portion-no colour is out.It smelled like old House,when I bought it.Holy cow!I have to put it in locker now!The specimen''s picture you posted is nice,but my piece has more uniform dark red colour and nicely cut and polished.But it is opeque.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is your first picture resized.

GreatBigRubyPicture.jpg

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Thank you fly girl.I will post more picture with some artistic view!Thanks to all for your response.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
yea it is not rare at all..i have seen good sized statues carved out of ruby in zoisite but something the size of yours is not common either but i wouldn''t go so far as to call it rare...I have seen a 15 pound solid chunk of ruby in zoisite that would cut a stone as large if not larger than yours...I assume you are in India since you took it to the Geological survey of India since this rough I posted is a brand new find from India they may not even know about it...the mineral folks usually have the first wiff of anything new to hit the market

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Here it goes other image from same series of shot...

02072009557new.png

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Thank you for lot of informations...keep informing more...its amazing.Yeah,Right I am from India.The information you gave that means the original rock from which it was cut was more than 17-18 pounds.I am not saying it for that reason that I own it,in real,in north side daylight its cut looks real gorgeous...is its chemical nature is same as Tranparent/loupe clean Ruby?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a link about ruby in zoisite. Link It doesn''t mention the new India find, however.

Your stone is a very pretty shade of red. Love it.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link Fly Girl-but unfortunately the page is showing underconstruction(I dont know whether due to my i.p. address from India).
I searched with the term zosite ruby...
http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/graphics/ruby-zoisite-rough_1.jpg
this picture quite close to mine-but mine is totally red-dark red.Just like Clotted blood.
I loved to read detective stories in my childhood...now its feeling thrilling gals and guys.I am ready to give any information regards it to you...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 12:49:23 PM
Author: rubyisforlove
Thanks for the link Fly Girl-but unfortunately the page is showing underconstruction(I dont know whether due to my i.p. address from India).
I searched with the term zosite ruby...
http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/graphics/ruby-zoisite-rough_1.jpg
this picture quite close to mine-but mine is totally red-dark red.Just like Clotted blood.
I loved to read detective stories in my childhood...now its feeling thrilling gals and guys.I am ready to give any information regards it to you...
Sorry you can''t read the gemselect information page on Ruby-Zoisite. I''d reproduce it for you, but they prohibit that. But basically, it is a mixture of ruby and zoisite in the same crystal. It appears to be much less expensive than clear ruby crystals without the zoisite.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
I can see only three colored nice elephants on the page@ fly girl and that notice...
Definately it should not cost as much as loupe clean Ruby per carat.But as you peoples said,it is quite uncommon piece of that size,that is why peoples are calling me...this far I can guess.Oh oh am going to Dinner,you people must be for lunch now...

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Opposite side of the gemstone-now image with a standard scale beside it.Its top is so shiny cut I could not focus my camera well.I will try tomorrow for some good shots.

29062009550new.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Can you make a nice profit from selling this? Personally, I''d go for the money. Otherwise, these might turn out to be fairly common, and you have only a pretty red paperweight.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Ok am ready for it...But help me to estimate price...I dont know zocite ruby prices...it would be great in a real rock lovers hand.You can email me @ fly girl

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a very attractive specimen piece, especially with the polished faceted top. I would have no idea how to price a specimen like that. Good luck with your research!

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Its look just like an oval Indian cut Ruby...looks like you are seing a 3-5 carat such gem in Macro shot..but in real life..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a very pretty specimen. You are correct that if they are pure clear ruby crystals, it would be worth a lot more.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
That is the problem,no one can give me any idea about pricing,even the qualified ones.If it had some greenish tinge,I could sell it free of mind.But,it is has,uniformly same coloured "base" with spinels of blood red transparent silk like threads allover it,thats what attracted me.Another point is that,some one,scrapped(?)its side probably to look its interior(?),which reveals corrundum''s reddish pinkish typical hue with no other color.I dont know,whether it belonged to some God(Surya Devta,Sun God-Ruby is beleived as a symbol of Him,in Sanskrit scripts)or to any Individual King,Because,Indian Kings or Samrats were great interest in gemstones.Can any one say,how can anyone evaluate the exact or approximate time when it was cut and polished?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest sending an expert appraiser like Richard Sherwood for a positive ID and market pricing.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Please give me his email or web address.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Please consider my ignorance.
I found Mr.Richard Sherwood in this forum.But,can any one please draw his attention about this topic or can say how to PM him(I am unable) or give his email?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the website I linked to earlier:
EMAIL: [email protected] or [email protected]

There is no PM here on PS.
Your other option is to start a new thread titled: Attention Richard Sherwood or something like that.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Chrono...It is a nice Idea to start a new thread with such name...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results