shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me think of a girl''s name...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love the name Lilian and Freya too. For years I thought when I have a girl I''m going to name her Freya. But my husband didn''t and we eventually found a name we both liked.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I also like Eastern European names Natasha, Katarina, Katya etc.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always think that since the woman is the one who actually has to be pregnant and pop out the kid, she''s the one who gets final say in names, finding out the sex, etc.! When my sister was pregnant, her husband didn''t like any boy names that she liked, and I was like "So what?! You''re the one having it so you get to name it!" I really did not see the problem! I guess that''s wrong of me, but I feel like I''m right!
9.gif

Anywho, on to names. My niece is named Eleanor Grace (they call her Ellie) which I think is cute and old fashioned. I think Eleanor is getting to be really popular lately, though. My mom''s best friend''s daughter just had a baby and she named her Eleanor also. Other old-fashioned names I like:

Claire
Clara
Isabelle
Natalie
Natalia
Analisa (although the girl I knew who had that name was kind of blah!)
Olivia (probably too popular now but that''s my kitty in my avatar''s name!)
Ophelia (my other kitty''s name!)
Marie
Maria

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 12:45:03 AM
Author: innerkitten
I love the name Lilian and Freya too. For years I thought when I have a girl I''m going to name her Freya. But my husband didn''t and we eventually found a name we both liked.

Ooh, Freya''s pretty.

sbuffaloe

Rough_Rock
Is there anyone in your family you really admire that you would like to name a daughter after? My grandmother''s maiden name was Cooper, so we named my daughter Cooper Grace. We loved the name Cooper, especially since we thought it would go for a boy or girl. If she would have been a boy, he would have been Cooper Lee, my dh''s middle name is Lee. We loved adding the Grace to it, it gave us a feminine girly feeling with Cooper being a little more masculine sounding. Good luck!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Sierra is kind of a pretty name.

As for Ava--a friend of mine knew twins named Ava and Zuri (adults). I guess they wanted to be covered from A-Z?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh, I like Cooper!
2.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
My three nieces are Olivia, Amelia and Claudia. The other nice girls names we have in our extended family are Eva, Laurie, Hannah, Kirstie and Katie.

The names I like are Julia, Anya, Sortia, Jorgia, Carla, Naimh, Briege, Arianna, Sophia, Catriona, Ailish, Alyssa, Keira

For boys names I like: Bailey, Galen, Lucas, Harris, Tyler, Glen, Diarmid, Kian, Euan, Fin, Struan, Ruiridh

I like old fashioned celtic names for boys and European names for girls.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if anyone''s already suggested these names, but how about

Vanessa
Tatianna

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the name Adriana, too! Forgot that one.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girls' names that end with "a", "ah", or "ia" seems to be popular right now. Having said that, two of my favorites are Sofia and Julia. Others: Mathilda/Mattie, Margaret/Maggie, and Josephine. I also like Emily a lot, and I think it's probably safe... the last batch of Emily's should be starting kindergarten about now!

ETA how about Harmony?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favourite girl name is Charlotte. I just love it. Grace is also one that I love. You could always borrow my name - Rebecca
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 5:24:19 PM
Author: MINIMS
Girls'' names that end with ''a'', ''ah'', or ''ia'' seems to be popular right now. Having said that, two of my favorites are Sofia and Julia. Others: Mathilda/Mattie, Margaret/Maggie, and Josephine. I also like Emily a lot, and I think it''s probably safe... the last batch of Emily''s should be starting kindergarten about now!

ETA how about Harmony?
Emily was the number 1 girl name for 2007, and I think it has been for quite a while now. Nice name, but wouldn''t work for me for that reason alone.

Any verdicts, dreamer??

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2008 6:15:06 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 8/30/2008 5:24:19 PM
Author: MINIMS
Girls'' names that end with ''a'', ''ah'', or ''ia'' seems to be popular right now. Having said that, two of my favorites are Sofia and Julia. Others: Mathilda/Mattie, Margaret/Maggie, and Josephine. I also like Emily a lot, and I think it''s probably safe... the last batch of Emily''s should be starting kindergarten about now!

ETA how about Harmony?
Emily was the number 1 girl name for 2007, and I think it has been for quite a while now. Nice name, but wouldn''t work for me for that reason alone.

Any verdicts, dreamer??
My co-workers were apparently ahead of the curve!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 6:15:06 PM
Author: icekid

Any verdicts, dreamer??
Hubby was golfing all day today and then had a friend over tonight, but he is super excited that all of you suggested so many names! We are going to go through all the suggestions tomorrow when we have the whole day together (yes I am a golf widow
39.gif
)... I''ll update as soon as we have gone through all the names! Maybe there is a winner in here, that would be really cool!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the pregnancy, Dreamer! You certainly got a lot of names! Many of them are on the lists of several people, of course, however! Some of them are also quite modern (although very nice). Madison, for example, is a very modern name for a girl, although it is among the names I like very much. I do not think you wanted a modern name!

Among the old-fashioned names people suggested there were some that are super, super trendy like Emma, Emily, and Olivia. I think you wanted to avoid those, too.

I don't dare even suggest a name. I am sure that the guides to baby names will have everything you could possibly think of! Have fun choosing!

Deborah
34.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Names I love for a girl
-Ruby
-Miranda (you can call her Mira or Randy for short
2.gif
)
-Darcy
-Josephine
-Lydia
-Colleen
-Anastasia
-Violet
-Kate
-Roxanne
-Carmen
-Antonia

When are you due? I love the months August, September, December, January, and April. Maybe Janeira or Avril?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
My favorite old fashioned but beautiful and timeless names are Elizabeth and Claira. I also like Claressa, but I don''t think that''s in the same category as old fashioned.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The name, "Cordelia" * (from a Georgette Heyer novel) popped into my head. Her frightening matrons usually have names like, "Augusta". One character is named, "Charis" (from the Greek, meaning, "grace"). She has a, "Sophia" * (pronounced So-Fye-Ah" in the English way, of course) and a "Georgina". She has a, "Venetia" and a, "Frederica". She also has a. "Cressida". I am not mentioning names like, "Patience" which doesn't seem to fit your criteria or, "Olivia" which has been mentioned before and is also quite popular now, thus not meeting your criteria. I don't know how you would feel about an "Albinia"...sometimes Miss Heyer names character she paints as obnoxious with names that are unlovely!

At any rate, you could flip through her novels for some interesting old names!

*These names have been mentioned by other posters already.

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/29/2008 11:25:03 AM

Author:
Aloros

Sophie or Sophia
Marianne
Eleanor or Elinor
Catherine
Lydia
Georgiana
Margaret
Isabella
Louisa
Beatrice

I didn't comment on this before, but on my first time through this thread I was very much struck by Aloros' list of names. They are my idea of truly classic, English names. I felt she was extremely clever to have been able to put this list together. Kudos to you, Aloros! You have exquisite taste! (I realize it may not be your own taste, but even if you were just looking at this task as a researcher, I think you needed to have taste to sort through what were great names and which were not!)

Deborah
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results