shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me think of a girl''s name...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 10:33:53 AM
Author: sna77
this utility to help track the popularity of names through the years is amazing... Watch the name ''Adolf'' drop off the mapin the 50''s

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

DD: This book is AMAZING. I have it, and it''s fantastic. It goes by different ways: alphabetically, trends, year and categories (like poetic or sci-fi, biblical)... and in the alphabetical section it even lists the boys and girls name that are "related" to it, calling them sister or brother. Seriously, best baby name book ever.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth, Carolyn, Melissa, Andrea, Stephanie, Grace

eta: Congrats!!!!
36.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I really like old-world names, too, but I''m also a fan of Irish and British Isles names (fiance is English with a very English surname).

The girls'' names we like now are Juliet, Niamh, Imogen, Zara, Eliza, Amelie, Alice, Chloe and Louise. I do love Charlotte, Audrey and Ava, but they''ve sadly all been taken by my cousins!

EMPTorres

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations..

I have always loved the name Carrington. It isn''t common but I find it to be a pretty name. Unfortunately, with my last name it doesn''t go well.

If DH and I had a girl her name would of been Isabel Mikael.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Amelia, Jane, Rose, Roseline, Catherine, Julia, Lauren, Abigail, Genevieve, Gertrude, Hannah, Helen, Ellen, Hope, Isabella, Chastity, Judith, Constance (love this one), Cynthia, Dorothy, Edith, Eleanor, Frances, Florence, Ruth, Linda (you don''t see much anymore, this is my grandmother''s name), Anne, Prescilla, Ernestine (my great grandmother''s name), Patricia, Malia, Jaqueline, Barbara

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
How about Evangeline, Helena, Diana, Anastastia, Camille, Dimitra, Gwendolyn, Catherine, Rhiannon, Stella, or Sophie? Those are some of my favorite older and less common names.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 2:31:21 PM
Author: laurel25
How about Evangeline, Helena, Diana, Anastastia, Camille, Dimitra, Gwendolyn, Catherine, Rhiannon, Stella, or Sophie? Those are some of my favorite older and less common names.
i love Evangaline and Rhiannon!!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 12:00:55 PM
Author: diamondsrock

I know someone who is naming her girl Ava which I thought was unusual and very pretty.

I believe ''Ava'' is now the number 1 most popular name for girls in America, so it may have been unusual 5 years ago, but now there are going to be 10 Ava''s in Ava''s class!

DD, I feel your pain on the girls'' names. I''m still partial to Lucy, but I don''t think we''ll be getting to use it.

Alexandra? Clara? Clarissa? Nathalie or Natalia? Anchor loves the name ''Naomi'' which I also think is nice. Just trying to go with your theme of classic, feminine and slightly old-fashioned.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 1:02:40 PM
Author: Krissie

The girls'' names we like now are ... Imogen,

I know someone who called her daughter Imogen. At first I didn''t like it, but I really love it now! And not just because that little girl is a serious cutie-pie.

It''s in the top 50 names for girls in England, so getting quite common there, but not in North America.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
How about researching the origins of names you like - as an example, my name is Jennifer - the original version of Jennifer was Guinevere. If I ever have a daughter - that is likely to be her name. My last name (both maiden and married) starts with an "S" and has 2 syllables as well. My name is Jennifer Lynn S******. My future daughter will probably be Guinevere Mira S*****, or Guinevere Marion S*****.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Olivia, Madeline, Lucy, Grace, Sophie and Ellie.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your pregnancy!

I''ve always loved Emily, but Madeline is really cute too.
1.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the name Olivia. I have a friend who just had a baby and named her Julianne.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
the name Ruby. If I ever have another girl, I will name her that.
I also like Josephine.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Oh,and I have an Ava, so I am partial to that name too!
1.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I apologize if any of these have been suggested:

Cecily
Miriam
Adele
Cordelia
Margo(t)
Celia
Cassandra
Cora
Helena

indypitty

Shiny_Rock
Here are some of my favorites ~ some have been mentioned already, I think.

Avery
Vivienne
Evelyn
Lillian
Noelle
Simone
Amelia

ETA: I also love the name Rowan for a girl, but I have a nephew with the name!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Some of my favorites

Sophia
Audrey
Lily
Natalie
Madeline
Madison
Addison
Janelle
Emma
Olivia

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
dreamer, I had the same problem when I was pregnant, although it was during a time that most people didn''t know the sex of the baby, so I just imagined them as twins. I decided I would name my twins Nicholas and Nicole, that way I just referred to my baby as Nic.
9.gif

I did end up using the name for the middle name of my daughter. ::::shrugs::::::

It had no other significance expect that is what I kept calling her when she was in my womb.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 2:59:06 PM
Author: Independent Gal

I know someone who is naming her girl Ava which I thought was unusual and very pretty.

I believe 'Ava' is now the number 1 most popular name for girls in America, so it may have been unusual 5 years ago, but now there are going to be 10 Ava's in Ava's class!

DD, I feel your pain on the girls' names. I'm still partial to Lucy, but I don't think we'll be getting to use it.

Alexandra? Clara? Clarissa? Nathalie or Natalia? Anchor loves the name 'Naomi' which I also think is nice. Just trying to go with your theme of classic, feminine and slightly old-fashioned.
I looked it up and it was number 4 in 2007. Duh! Here I was thinking it was unique! Unique years ago but certainly not today!
25.gif
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Frances and Emerson are cute, too.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, sounds like you have some good suggestions already.

I seem to have a thing for girl names starting with A... love Aubrey, Ainslie (have a friend w/ this last name), Ashlinn. Off the A track- Elise (I think Ellie is cute for a nickname!). I think Collette is super pretty too.

(Is looking at baby names a bizarre hobby??)

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 8:10:15 PM

I believe ''Ava'' is now the number 1 most popular name for girls in America, so it may have been unusual 5 years ago, but now there are going to be 10 Ava''s in Ava''s class!

DD, I feel your pain on the girls'' names. I''m still partial to Lucy, but I don''t think we''ll be getting to use it.

Alexandra? Clara? Clarissa? Nathalie or Natalia? Anchor loves the name ''Naomi'' which I also think is nice. Just trying to go with your theme of classic, feminine and slightly old-fashioned.
I looked it up and it was number 4 in 2007. Duh! Here I was thinking it was unique! Unique years ago but certainly not today!
25.gif
7.gif

This is true. My Ava is 10, and she doesn''t have any other Ava''s in her grade, but a year later, Reese Witherspoon used it, and it became the most popular
7.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 8:28:14 PM
Author: iluvcarats

25.gif

7.gif

This is true. My Ava is 10, and she doesn''t have any other Ava''s in her grade, but a year later, Reese Witherspoon used it, and it became the most popular
7.gif

I think the same thing is going to happen with Vivienne.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re never going to have any children, but had I been lucky enough to have a little girl, her name would have been Christa.
That was the name of a beautiful girl I went to high school with and it''s remained my favorite girl''s name for decades.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i absolutely love Grace. i think that it is elegant for a woman and can be Gracie for a sweet little girl. i would love to name my daughter Grace one day, but like you, im letting him win and he is choosing our yet conceived baby name. lol.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 3:00:35 PM

Date: 8/29/2008 1:02:40 PM
Author: Krissie

The girls'' names we like now are ... Imogen,

I know someone who called her daughter Imogen. At first I didn''t like it, but I really love it now! And not just because that little girl is a serious cutie-pie.

It''s in the top 50 names for girls in England, so getting quite common there, but not in North America.
When we were living there, it seemed I kept meeting baby Imogens on the bus. I can only imagine how it''d be butchered here, though... uh-moe-gen? lol

I really love Niamh, but I think we''d run into the same mis-pronunciation issue. Same with Ciara (Kee-ra) which I think people would pronounce as See-ara. I also love some Welsh names, like Ffion. D was born in Wales, but that might be a stretch!

D informs me that his new favorite is Zara, so we shall see in a couple of years ;-)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay you all are the BEST!
30.gif
What a response! I have only skimmed through all the names, but I am going to carefully look through all these names in the morning and DH and I will make a short list... keep em coming if you got em, I saw lots here that I hadn''t thought of before but that I really like.

I''ll do more personal posts tomorrow, my preggo brain needs some sleep! Thanks again!

indypitty

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 8:31:42 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 8/29/2008 8:28:14 PM
Author: iluvcarats

25.gif

7.gif

7.gif

I think the same thing is going to happen with Vivienne.
Yes, especially since that is the name of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt''s new baby...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Indy, that''s exactly what I was thinking. It''s a beautiful name, but I''m wondering how many little girls enrolling in kindergarten in 6 years will be named Vivienne.

KesVayReas

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... I personally think ''Kessa'' is a great name. I new a girl once with that name and she was awesome.
2.gif
2.gif

I loooove the more "old-fashioned" type names too... Charlotte was my grandmother''s name. I love Claire, Audrey, Madeline...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results