shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose between these Asschers asap!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1440381181|3918266 said:
Hi Marymm

Thanks for your comment. I love your asscher, I actually went back and 'visited' it several times over the course of a few months when it was for sale and am glad you bought it so I could see more pictures! May I ask, do you know how many pavillion steps it has?

Re op stone - I know table falls within most people's parameters of 'ok size' but for me it's just too big.

Also - I've noticed, with tables, and I don't know how or why this is, I *expect* some function of crown angle and therefore proximity to the eye/distance from girdle, however minutely different, some tables 'appear' larger than others with the same %. On this particular diamond it just reads as very big. I was surprised it was a 'low' as it was.

It's a conundrum how much detail to go into when trying to offer advice. And how much to explain about tastes and parameters without pushing your own taste onto an OP. I mean for most people things like corner size or table size etc are probably lower down the list of considerations, but I think about the splodge of money going on a stone like this and how many years I hope it will be enjoyed, and just feel I have to tell the OP everything I know about asschers so she can choose what is and isn't a priority for her (if she has the time).

I feel like she can do better, in this case if I am honest quite a bit better than the three GOG stones, and I think GOG can find a 'honey' for her if they keep looking, but you don't know with an OP whether she or he can, or even wants to, spend a long time getting to grips with the nuances of their particular chosen cut, and whether the details you are pointing out put someone off a perfectly functional stone.

Also she would like F or higher and perhaps there is a slight compromise on cut quality within a given budget.

As a good comparison OP, as videos say it better than words, here is a 'honey' and at H VVS1 (and bear in mind you are safe to go down to VS1 and probably beyond on a case-by-case basis in an asscher) would possibly (not sure!) have come in around your budget like for like today. (I am not going to try and talk you down to an H as I know everyone's eyes are different and if you are going to see colour you will see it in an asscher, in my experience).

2nd from left:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SBfNGxTFE&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA

Isn't it lovely?

Here is where it came to rest:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beaudry-asscher-dream-ring-with-side-pink-sapphires.183959/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-beaudry-asscher-dream-ring-with-side-pink-sapphires.183959/[/URL]

I am just now seeing this thread and am reading through the replies, but I wanted to thank you for your comments about my asscher! I definitely agree that it is worth looking for a great one! I love little tables, too, but for most asschers, under 65 is on the smaller side. I don't even look at larger tables than that and try to find 62 and lower. Mine was just a very lucky find.

Thank you, too, Jimmianne!

Okay, so on to reading the thread to see what has transpired!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Californiadreaming|1440710572|3920056 said:
583832.jpg 523981.jpg 370692.jpg

Hi all. I have the three asset images from James Allen.

The first is a 0.91 CARAT E-VVS2 ASSCHER CUT DIAMOND
SKU:583832

The second is 1.04 CARAT F-SI2 ASSCHER CUT DIAMOND
SKU:523981

The third is 1.08 CARAT E-SI1 EMERALD CUT DIAMOND
SKU:370692

How do you think they compare to the GOG stones and which is your preference?

James Allen recommends the1.08 stone, it's the one Coralfish suggested to me!

The GOG stones links are in my first post and the JA one links for these stones a little further down.

Please help me on this, and thank you in advance!( GOG have given me til Tuesday to hold their stones).

The first stone has the best ASET. I'd have to look at their webpages to see the actual stones. I personally don't look below VS in an asscher, but I'll take a look at what the inclusions are in the 1.08.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inclusion in the 1.08 SI1 is right under the table, and is plainly visible in the video, and likely will be able to be seen irl. I'm cautious of the 1.04 SI2 - the inclusions are in the corners, and don't seem to reflect much in the video, but I like the 0.91 VVS2 the best of the 3 JA's.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't consider black inclusions right under the table. That would drive me majorly nuts. Can you give the link to the .91 E VVS2?

Found it:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.91-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-583832

Gorgeous stone, but I have to tell you that it is small at 5.3mm. Mine is very small at 5.5 or 5.6mm. I would go down to G color and try to get a larger stone, honestly.

I haven't read through the setting links, but are you setting the diamond in a halo? If you are not, I wouldn't go with a 5.3mm stone. Asschers can be appreciated more at larger sizes where you can see the steps.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your honest thoughts and opinions.

May I ask you to compare the James Allen .9 and the GOG .9 I have on hold? There is $500 price different - with the GOG coming in at $3700 and the JA at $4200.

So they are:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0.9ct-f-vs2-asscher-diamond.html

and

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.91-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-583832

583832.jpg

I'm not sure what to do re the size. I think in terms of size itself, 5.3 is fine for me. In the UK it is unusual to see big stones - anything near to a carat is noticeably large here! But I take your point in appreciating the steps of an Asscher, which is a major part of the beauty of the cut, at a larger size.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That JA is a beauty.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Californiadreaming|1440739049|3920215 said:
Thank you both for your honest thoughts and opinions.

May I ask you to compare the James Allen .9 and the GOG .9 I have on hold? There is $500 price different - with the GOG coming in at $3700 and the JA at $4200.

So they are:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0.9ct-f-vs2-asscher-diamond.html

and

583832.jpg

I'm not sure what to do re the size. I think in terms of size itself, 5.3 is fine for me. In the UK it is unusual to see big stones - anything near to a carat is noticeably large here! But I take your point in appreciating the steps of an Asscher, which is a major part of the beauty of the cut, at a larger size.

Pick the JA

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that JA 0.91 E VVS2 too :))

E and VVS will mean zero worries about visible inclusions or colour sensitivity - it's a very 'high spec' stone!

My personal (noob!) thoughts are that the GOG stone looks to have some leakage.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Thanks soooo much everyone!

Wow I guess I just need to go for this now after months and months of lurking on this addictive website and browsing stones.

I will speak to my husband tonight and say I have found the stone 'we' have been looking for :lol: .

Then I shall of course be back with updates and HOPEFULLY lovely shots of my ring in a few weeks :naughty: :appl: :dance:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 0.91 ct JA diamond hands down.

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Hi just a quick update.

I decided not to purchase from online American vendors as I just felt too nervous - not because I had any misgivings about James Allen or Good Old Gold but because it just seemed a bit overwhelming buying without seeing the stone with my own eyes.

So I have bought a stone from London's Hatton Garden - it's being set next week! I guess I am paying maybe £500 more doing it this way, but I have peace of mine that I love the diamond and also I won't have the headache of sending it back and forth across the ocean if I don't like the stone or setting.

The stone I have bought is a G 1.01 VVS1 excellent polish and symmetry.

I will post on here and on SMTB end of next week and I hope it meets PS's approval!!! :???: :shifty: :lol:

Thanks to everyone who helped me and gave your thoughtful advice and opinions.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your decision is totally understandable.
So glad you are thrilled with your stone and can't wait to see it.
Congratulations!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Go with the GOG .90 I think you have found a beauty do not let it go

I wonder if people on here ever put you off diamonds so they can snap them up lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see it! At least you did your homework here and knew what better asschers look like!

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
I picked up my ring today - I love it!! :dance:

I will start a thread on SMTB but here's a pic, worn with my 3 carat eternity.

I don't know if it meets PS standards (the table is larger than some would advise) but I just see a beautiful diamond!

img_4511.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a great stone - can't wait to see more photo!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks great and goes really nicely with your eternity ring :)

I understand the desire to shop 'locally' - it is a big purchase and it's nice to see something with your own eyes before committing such a large amount of money to it!

Post a link to your SMTB thread here when you post it up!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results