shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your opinions on these 4 diamonds :)

Please vote for the best diamond out of these 4!

• #1 2.05 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2 2.01 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • #3 2.06 D VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • #4 2.09 E VVS1 Triple E

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Wrote it in somewhat of a hurry so I missed out some info. I requoted my post and added in the dimensions below. I also changed the numbering so it's not as confusing to compare with the first 4 diamonds in the first posts. Sorry about that.

Also to clarify: these are not HW diamonds. Another SA from Cartier got this to me after I told her I wasn't interested in any of their previous offerings.

enhasa|1426046828|3845370 said:
2.56 Carat, F, VVS1
8.93 - 8.99 x 5.33mm
HCA 0.8
59.5% depth, 58% table, 33.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle

2.24 carat, D, VVS2
8.51 - 8.55 x 5.08mm
HCA 1.2 Everything's excellent but Scintillation is very good.
59.5% depth, 59% table, 32° crown angle, 41° pavilion angle

2.09 E VVS2 (this ring falls under your cheat sheet's parameters)
8.26 - 8.29 x 5.03mm
HCA 0.7, everything's excellent but spread is very good.
60.8% depth, 57% table, 34° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

2.52 E VS 1 (117k)
8.68 - 8.71 x 5.42mm
HCA 1.3, everything's excellent but spread is very good.
62.3% depth, 56% table, 35.5° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
Has faint fluorescence.

The last diamond (#8) also has faint fluorescence that I just noticed. Is this a very bad thing?
Does it change the color / glow / fire of the diamond under lighting?

For some reason Cartier's diamonds appear wider / bigger in diameter compared to HW and Tiffany.
For instance, Diamond #2 in the first post is 2.01 carats with 8.08 - 8.11 x 5.01mm, and Diamond #4 in the first post is 2.09 carats with 8.17 - 8.2 x 5.07mm. Cartier's diamond #7 is also 2.09 carat, but it is 8.26 - 8.29 x 5.03mm. #5 is almost 9mm in diameter too :drool:

Please give me your opinions on these 4 diamonds, or if I should still go with #2 (in the first post)?

We are indifferent towards either brand and setting. My gf is happy as long as it's a big brand and the diamond is the "best" we can get for our budget from these big name brands.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426051099|3845391 said:
Goodness, a 2.52 E VS1 for less than the 2 ct E VVS. It would be so much easier to choose from these if you could access idealscope or ASET images, BUT, I'd probably just go for the 2.52 E VS1 and if you for some reason don't think it looks as good as the 2 ct diamond you saw, then you could exchange it. I cannot see paying more for a visibly smaller stone when this stone will look the same (still totally eyeclean) but a LOT larger! There is a big difference between 8.1 and 8.5mm (you didn't give us the diameter measurements, but those are the approximate measurements of 2 and 2.5 cts. I just cannot see spending over $100k on a diamond ring at close to 2.0 cts.

(#2 has a really low crown angle which would make me eliminate it. Not attractive in the profile view. #3 is too small and not enough improvement over the original stone we recommended. #1 is okay but I'd choose E VS1 over F VVS2 as color will be more visible than that particular clarity difference.)

Incidentally, most ideal cut stones will be excellent for the first three items on the HCA and very good for spread, so this is fine on this particular diamond.

I would also tell them you cannot wait a month for the insurance valuation. That is ridiculous. Worst case scenario, there are independent jewelry appraisers who hopefully could do one for you right away, and it should be clear cut with the sales receipt and the copy of the GIA report. Then you can later send them a copy of the HW valuation for their files. Under no circumstances over insure. They will only cover the value of the item you lost and not an inflated amount. That is why I insure for the amount I paid. Sorry Chubb didn't work! I think many of us prefer a stand-alone jewelry policy because they may be a little more familiar with particular customers, and I think JM is more willing to work with the jeweler of your choice as opposed to some jeweler they have an arrangement with. But in your case, this ring would have to be replaced at HW since that is a large part of its value.

I've posted the dimensions in the post above. It is about 0.57mm bigger. However, it has a faint fluorescence.
There is a crystal, needle and feather on the top side of the diamond, so it isn't as clean as #2, but I am not sure if it matters since it's still a VS, though #2 is a VVS2.

So you mean #5 to #7 are better in terms of cut out of the last 4?

I will check with them again and see if they can work something out for me, such as a scan in the meantime or something. The item is not returnable, unlike Tiffany, so I don't understand why they cannot give me the appraisal right away :(

Otherwise I may just delay picking up the item then.

Thanks!

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
I've been following this thread and I just wish, oh so badly, that your fiance would consider, or be good with, a non branded ring. Whether you can afford it or not, its still tens of thousands of dollars that do not need to be spent. Money shouldn't be wasted no matter how much of it you have, you know? It could even be spent on something so much larger! An engagement ring is not like a handbag, where the logo is viewable from a distance. I think you should plug in the numbers of an HW stone vs a much larger WF stone on diamdb.com, and show her the difference in size on a finger. (or like someone had posted earlier, try on the different carat stones in store, if possible) I don't mean to press the issue but you could probably save a great deal of money AND get a larger stone at the same time. I'm big on brands too (as is my ENTIRE social circle), but when it came to choosing a brand or a bigger stone, it was easy to go with the bigger stone for me :drool: I think you are an amazing guy to be doing all this for your fiance, and she must be pretty amazing too for you to want to spend so much on her and get her the perfect ring. I just want it to be worth your money !! Good luck with your search! What a blessed dilemma to be in :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426051099|3845391 said:
Goodness, a 2.52 E VS1 for less than the 2 ct E VVS. It would be so much easier to choose from these if you could access idealscope or ASET images, BUT, I'd probably just go for the 2.52 E VS1 and if you for some reason don't think it looks as good as the 2 ct diamond you saw, then you could exchange it. I cannot see paying more for a visibly smaller stone when this stone will look the same (still totally eyeclean) but a LOT larger! There is a big difference between 8.1 and 8.5mm (you didn't give us the diameter measurements, but those are the approximate measurements of 2 and 2.5 cts. I just cannot see spending over $100k on a diamond ring at close to 2.0 cts.
This is some really good logic. Esp since size matters... I wish they could find you an F/G VS1 but whatever. I know they don't really go below an F there though. #2 is still the best cut of the bunch on paper, but this is a good size jump. This isn't BADLY cut, it's just NOT AS WELL cut as the other one. The size increase might be worth the consideration as a trade off.

This VS1 is going to be just as clean to your eye as the VVS stones. Unless you plan on carrying around or mounting a loupe to her finger, you're not going to see those inclusions without a loupe/scope. A VS1 is nothing to sneeze at. Also, there's nothing wrong with fluorescence. It's not a negative impact--esp when faint. The bonus is that it can help with the price as some brands consider it a negative despite it being a naturally occurring trait.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy VS1 for myself because I want a totally clean stone. It is unlikely to see an inclusion with a 10x loupe, so they are absolutely eye-clean. Any clarity above that is a waste of money, in my opinion, because we are talking about microscopic differences.

All of the stones are well cut. We are just cut perfectionists. I do not think any of the D-E VVS stones are a wise purchase. You get too small a stone for the cost. And even though I am picky, if these stones were being offered to me and I lived in a world where people wore $100k e-rings, there would be zero question that I would choose the 2.5 E VS1. The cut is fine and likely would check out well with an idealscope. HW doesn't sell bad diamonds. We are talking about a scale between very excellent and perfect, with the Whiteflash stone being perfect.

Oh and I agree with Ame, there is no significance to faint fluorescence. HW wouldn't be selling it if there was.

Excellent idea to leave the ring with them until the appraisal is ready if you don't have plans to propose before then.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426088871|3845567 said:
I buy VS1 for myself because I want a totally clean stone. It is unlikely to see an inclusion with a 10x loupe, so they are absolutely eye-clean. Any clarity above that is a waste of money, in my opinion, because we are talking about microscopic differences.

All of the stones are well cut. We are just cut perfectionists. I do not think any of the D-E VVS stones are a wise purchase. You get too small a stone for the cost. And even though I am picky, if these stones were being offered to me and I lived in a world where people wore $100k e-rings, there would be zero question that I would choose the 2.5 E VS1. The cut is fine and likely would check out well with an idealscope. HW doesn't sell bad diamonds. We are talking about a scale between very excellent and perfect, with the Whiteflash stone being perfect.

Oh and I agree with Ame, there is no significance to faint fluorescence. HW wouldn't be selling it if there was.

Excellent idea to leave the ring with them until the appraisal is ready if you don't have plans to propose before then.

Thank you.

My concern with the lower clarity was whether the inclusions may make the diamond more prone to cracking / fracturing, but I've learned that it is a non-issue for the most part.

ame|1426078667|3845485 said:
This is some really good logic. Esp since size matters... I wish they could find you an F/G VS1 but whatever. I know they don't really go below an F there though. #2 is still the best cut of the bunch on paper, but this is a good size jump. This isn't BADLY cut, it's just NOT AS WELL cut as the other one. The size increase might be worth the consideration as a trade off.

This VS1 is going to be just as clean to your eye as the VVS stones. Unless you plan on carrying around or mounting a loupe to her finger, you're not going to see those inclusions without a loupe/scope. A VS1 is nothing to sneeze at. Also, there's nothing wrong with fluorescence. It's not a negative impact--esp when faint. The bonus is that it can help with the price as some brands consider it a negative despite it being a naturally occurring trait.

In your opinion, which would you go for? #2, or the 2.52 VS with faint fluorescence?

How does fluorescence affect the looks of the diamond? There's a color hue to it when light is shone onto it?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
enhasa|1426099453|3845658 said:
diamondseeker2006|1426088871|3845567 said:

Thank you.

My concern with the lower clarity was whether the inclusions may make the diamond more prone to cracking / fracturing, but I've learned that it is a non-issue for the most part.

ame|1426078667|3845485 said:

In your opinion, which would you go for? #2, or the 2.52 VS with faint fluorescence?

How does fluorescence affect the looks of the diamond? There's a color hue to it when light is shone onto it?
From a visual appearance perspective there is negligible effect from faint fluorescence. In fact, AGS Laboratories report diamonds with None or Faint fluorescence as "Negligible" for that very reason.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there is ZERO issue of durability or anything else with VS1. You've got to go quite a bit lower in clarity to get to that issue.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I vote 2.52 carat as well. I think you said it's Cartier, not HW, but I don't think that matters. It will be beautiful. I am so glad you were able to find a VS1 and a bigger stone. The size will look perfect on her small fingers. Personally, I think 2.5 is the sweet spot for someone with her sized finger... Noticeable but still classy and comparable to a 3+ carat on someone with bigger fingers. I absolutely cannot wait for you to post the final result on "show me the bling."

yasssss

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops, I missed the post where you said the second set of stones were Cartier. Of course, I love Cartier, but is she okay with a different setting? Which setting would you get there?

Mrs2Ouch

Rough_Rock
Love your idea Ame! I have a BGD medium blue fluorescence and never see any effect of it. The sun was as strong as can be here is GA recently and I did not see blue at all. That huge rock you posted for the OP makes my heart flutter!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs2Ouch|1426194449|3846221 said:
Love your idea Ame! I have a BGD medium blue fluorescence and never see any effect of it. The sun was as strong as can be here is GA recently and I did not see blue at all. That huge rock you posted for the OP makes my heart flutter!
I know the H VS2 is probably lower in color and clarity than they would prefer, but FOUR. CARATS. And really, no one will know it's an H VS2 if you don't tell them, assuming it's totally eye clean, and it is a fluorescent stone. Worth considering.

I am telling you--PLEASE GIRLFRIEND I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS--Consider my suggestion, best of both worlds. Get the bigass honker in a setting that looks like that HW you love, and get HW bands. Have the lovely man propose with your ering in the HW box and you will have the best of both worlds. AND it will meet the cut criteria. IT IS NOT SETTLING.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1426196776|3846241 said:
I know the H VS2 is probably lower in color and clarity than they would prefer, but FOUR. CARATS. And really, no one will know it's an H VS2 if you don't tell them, assuming it's totally eye clean, and it is a fluorescent stone. Worth considering.

I am telling you--PLEASE GIRLFRIEND I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS--Consider my suggestion, best of both worlds. Get the bigass honker in a setting that looks like that HW you love, and get HW bands. Have the lovely man propose with your ering in the HW box and you will have the best of both worlds. AND it will meet the cut criteria. IT IS NOT SETTLING.

Don't know if anyone saw this option, but if you're going to go for 4 carat, why not 5?!

5.591ct, I, VS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3200101.htm

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
:appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the impression a few pages ago that brand was the most important factor for her. And if she likes the size of a 2.5 ct stone, which is quite large, I am not against the idea of the branded ring. We all appreciate perfectly cut stones at better prices because we have been educated in cut and have seen the stones and that is our highest priority. But if I lived in her world, I might prefer Cartier or HW, too. In fact, I would absolutely adore RandG's large Cartier antique OEC ring right now!!! :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
RockyRacoon|1426196994|3846244 said:

Don't know if anyone saw this option, but if you're going to go for 4 carat, why not 5?!

5.591ct, I, VS1
Overbudget if they want it set. The price of this is the total budget including the setting.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426205450|3846334 said:
I got the impression a few pages ago that brand was the most important factor for her. And if she likes the size of a 2.5 ct stone, which is quite large, I am not against the idea of the branded ring. We all appreciate perfectly cut stones at better prices because we have been educated in cut and have seen the stones and that is our highest priority. But if I lived in her world, I might prefer Cartier or HW, too. In fact, I would absolutely adore RandG's large Cartier antique OEC ring right now!!! :love:
She does like the brand, yes, but from my discussions off board, as soon as she heard 4 and 5 ct she perked up. They may well stick with branded, but in order to get the size she seems to also want, she won't get that at the brands. She's basically settling on size to get the brand. It would be awesome if they could find an F VS1 that was closer to 3 from either brand that was cut well. Enough of these massive tables.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The $$ value doesn't make it legit. Can't pay for the level of this drama.

Call me on it. I say, TROLL.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, I think she is on another site Ame is on (and me, too, on occasion), so I think Ame knows enough to think this is a real buyer.

But anyway, Ame, I am in total agreement that a larger F VS1 would be the best of all worlds, although, as you know, finding stones in the upper 2 ct range is not so easy since many cutters will go to 3 cts with a lesser cut than cut ideal just under 3. They might be able to find a 2.6 or 2.7+, though. I am just glad we got beyond the low 2 ct stones. (The 2.5 E has a 56 table...I think it is a great choice if that is the best option they can find.)

enhasa

Rough_Rock

enhasa

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1426210077|3846385 said:
HI:

The $$ value doesn't make it legit. Can't pay for the level of this drama.

Call me on it. I say, TROLL.

cheers--Sharon

You mean the prices are not legit? Rather than to accuse me and jump to stupid conclusions, why not just pick up the phone, and call any HW to verify? All it takes is 2-3 minutes at the very most. You can also call any big brand names such as Cartier, Graff, etc for the pricing. They all have very similar markups.

Go troll with your kind on reddit or 4chan.

I would appreciate it if you can refrain from derailing this thread into a typical reddit thread. Thank you.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426219315|3846466 said:
Sharon, I think she is on another site Ame is on (and me, too, on occasion), so I think Ame knows enough to think this is a real buyer.

But anyway, Ame, I am in total agreement that a larger F VS1 would be the best of all worlds, although, as you know, finding stones in the upper 2 ct range is not so easy since many cutters will go to 3 cts with a lesser cut than cut ideal just under 3. They might be able to find a 2.6 or 2.7+, though. I am just glad we got beyond the low 2 ct stones. (The 2.5 E has a 56 table...I think it is a great choice if that is the best option they can find.)

I am bringing her to see the 2.01 E in person tomorrow. The 2.52 E is still a loose diamond, so the SA said she cannot show it to me. Cartier policy forbids her from showing items that are still not considered as merchandise.

However, Cartier is no longer discounting bridal items, which includes wedding bands and diamond engagement rings. She said the best she can do is to maybe talk to NY again and squeeze in a 5% discount at the very most. However, she can offer gratuity (free gifts) pretty easily, but it won't be anything expensive or significant (like a love bracelet for example).

So depending on the final price HW quotes me, I think we may still go with the 2.01E at this point.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1426209330|3846379 said:
diamondseeker2006|1426205450|3846334 said:
She does like the brand, yes, but from my discussions off board, as soon as she heard 4 and 5 ct she perked up. They may well stick with branded, but in order to get the size she seems to also want, she won't get that at the brands. She's basically settling on size to get the brand. It would be awesome if they could find an F VS1 that was closer to 3 from either brand that was cut well. Enough of these massive tables.

Haha yea she was really excited when I mentioned 4 carats to her.
We will be looking at the rings together tomorrow. I will also ask the SA to bring a 3 and 4 carat just so she can compare the size to a 2 carat.

I think for my budget it is extremely hard to get anywhere close to 3 carats.
Cartier has a 2.79 carat for 172k, but that is not triple Ex, so the cut is already not as good even by GIA standards. And that ring is already out of my budget....

enhasa

Rough_Rock

She is considering it seriously! :)
I sent her the emails that you and I have been sending back and forth, so she understands everything much better now. I think the next step is to compare different carat sizes rings at HW and then she can decide if she wants a bigger stone, or if the 2.01 is good enough.

Really appreciate it!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1426196994|3846244 said:

5.591ct, I, VS1

I color would be somewhat yellowish though right?
But eitherways that diamond is out of my budget after putting it into a setting, and especially if I am going to be charged sales tax on it. I really do want to keep it at 140k max, but if there's something much better for slightly higher, I can increase it by a couple grand more.

The prices HW gave me are before discount, and they are shipping the ring to HK for pickup so I get to save on taxes too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon--I do exchange emails/messages off board with this fine young gentleman and his significant other who I have been in contact with on another forum for a while now.

enhasa|1426237689|3846497 said:

She is considering it seriously! :)
I sent her the emails that you and I have been sending back and forth, so she understands everything much better now. I think the next step is to compare different carat sizes rings at HW and then she can decide if she wants a bigger stone, or if the 2.01 is good enough.

Really appreciate it!
Ooohhhhh man if she goes for that 4ct rock I will be forever envious.

An H or I will not be yellow. Obviously the H less than the I. There are folks here with J's and lower in that size range that are not very warm at all. They'll have more body warmth than a DEF would, obviously, but because they're cut like heaven, you won't see it other than a little from the side in some lighting conditions. Face up though, no. Nice and bright. FOUR. CARATS. IN BUDGET. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I am dying DYING to hear her thoughts after seeing the ring today/tomorrow, and I think it's wise to have her try on the 3 and 4 ct sizes in person to see if she's content with the 2 on her hand or really would rather sacrifice brand for size. My idea would work beautifully. No one but you two would know any better. You're still stuck waiting like 2 weeks for a resize anyway, or the set stone from Cartier if you go with that 2.5 from them. If she decides that 4ct monster is worth it, why not wait another week or two and get the thing made to order.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If their friends have HW and Cartier e-rings with D-F, I think going below G is very risky, personally. F would be better.

There is this...

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3059430.htm

Ame, I don't understand the idea of him proposing with a non-branded ring in a HW box. Surely you aren't suggesting that they lie to their friends and suggest it is HW??? I am all for the idea of saying we went for the top cut quality stone above what the brands offer and had a custom setting made, but not pretending the ring is a high end brand. If the brand is that important in her social circle, please get the Cartier or other larger ring from HW, Cartier, VCA, Graff.

enhasa....I hope they will be able to show you the size difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 ct rings because that is significant. My diamond is 2.3 cts and I will tell you, she needs to go larger than that.

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
For the amount of money you would save on the Whiteflash stone you could fly to Texas and show it to her in person. April in Texas is beautiful as all the wildflowers are in bloom. If she likes it you could meet with your designer of choice and let her plan her custom, hand forged ring. Personally, although i love the ring she chose, i think the stone is set too high.

Edit: i just saw the Brian Gavin stone and as he is located in the same city, you could also see diamonds there for comparison.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results