shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your opinions on these 4 diamonds :)

Please vote for the best diamond out of these 4!

• #1 2.05 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2 2.01 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • #3 2.06 D VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • #4 2.09 E VVS1 Triple E

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1425786513|3843618 said:
Primary concern is WHAT DOES SHE WANT. If she's really wanting the brand, at the expense of truly ideal cut quality and size, get the branded ring. #2 of this batch is my top pick of all the ones we've discussed in this thread and in private. Ultimately the end goal is for HER to get what she wants above all, and the experience, the "mind cleanliness" that she gets knowing she has an HW on that hand, regardless of other options, that seems to be what matters more than anything else. She IS semi in the loop on this. He isn't 100% blind on this purchase, she's got input.

I just talked to her and brand is #1 concern. Not exactly limited to a specific brand, but any big name brand (i.e. Cartier, Harry Winston, etc) is fine.

She values your input way more than mine. When I brought up #2, she completely flipped out at me ;(
But when I told her about what you and most people had said, she changed her mind.

So currently, she is open to #2 and #3. I will get her to see it in person and then we will decide what to do from there.

Thank you so much!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1425789000|3843628 said:
Primary concern is WHAT DOES SHE WANT. If she's really wanting the brand, at the expense of truly ideal cut quality and size, get the branded ring. #2 of this batch is my top pick of all the ones we've discussed in this thread and in private. Ultimately the end goal is for HER to get what she wants above all, and the experience, the "mind cleanliness" that she gets knowing she has an HW on that hand, regardless of other options, that seems to be what matters more than anything else. She IS semi in the loop on this. He isn't 100% blind on this purchase, she's got input.

Yep! If it's the brand she wants most, get the branded ring for sure. If she decides she'd prefer something else over the branding, whether that be superideal cut or extra size, you now know you have some alternative options. I too prefer #2 of the stones in the thread. Just go in with an open mind and if there isn't any one that jumps out as the favorite, then get the cheapest option.

Yea I think I will do just that. Ame suggested I have all these rings out and let her see if she can see any difference herself. If she can't, we will just go with #2 since it really isn't a lot more expensive than the cheapest option and specs wise its the best.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1425775061|3843550 said:
Hi there! I got your message, and saw this way too late, but I am so glad others chimed in for you.

ON PAPER #2 is my top pick of those listed. I totally get the desire to hit the 3 ct mark unbranded, I guess my priority would be: is it more important to her to have the size or is it more important to have the brand and the assumed perks of the name. I would want the size, but I am gathering based on communication that she REALLY wants the name. I know Tiffany is basically out...and really, for that setting style, I would rule them out anyway. For the price range, I would rather have HW if I was going to buy a name. I mentioned this to you separately but you can still get that "experience" of HW if you go with them for wedding bands. My concern is that she's going to realize later "man I couldve had a 3 ct stone". NOt that on her hand this thing is going to be in any way tiny. (ENVY.)

Whiteflash is reputable, another you could check out is Brian Gavin Diamonds, as well as High Performance Diamonds and Good Old Gold. All are going to give you a KNOCKOUT stone.

I know she's in the loop, so maybe put #2 on hold if possible, and have her weigh out whether or not she'd be disappointed with a 3ct unbranded monster on her hand with an HW band vs a 2ct HW engagement ring...

I just asked her about this. I think the best way is to have a 3 carat ring next to #2 when she sees the ring in person, and then if she decides the 3ct is something she likes more, then we will go with the unbranded ring.

For now, she is still insistent on the branding. I know she would rather have the best of both worlds and get a 3ct HW ring, but I don't think I can afford it even if I rob a bank. That's a lot of cash I got to be carrying out of the branch. :oops:

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
enhasa|1425790687|3843634 said:
pfunk|1425769879|3843507 said:
When you visit to look at the diamonds, I would urge you to also have them pull a well cut 3 ct ring for you to look at side by side, even if it is way out of your budget at HW. Preferably of equal color and clarity as well. She should be able to see what she COULD be getting for that price if she went to another vendor. The 2 ct HW stones will be very lovely, but you will be paying for it dearly. I think if she sees a beautiful 3 ct next to the 2 ct she will be glad to let you shop elsewhere once she sees what she COULD be getting for the same $$$.

I will disagree with DS that you should only look at superideal for your budget. I am curious to know, DS, what exactly will be sacrificed by going with something that isn't superideal vs something cut to great specs like that 34.5/40.8 JA stone referenced above. I imagine the choices at those carat weights and clarities will be very limited. And it seems to me the only reason the OP has stated he would consider other places would be to get a "significantly larger diamond". From the video, the JA stone looks to be very lively as would be expected with numbers like that. If superideal is all he looks at and stays at the same color and clarity, significantly larger may be out of the question.

This sounds great!
I will definitely try comparing with a 3 carat.

I don't need a super ideal diamond, just something that is good enough to be eye clean (VS and up), and not look yellow (so I guess D to F is a safe bet, preferably D and E?). Cut is important because Ame taught me on how important it is for the fire and brilliance, and I really like that over a "dull" diamond.

Just be sure not to tell them that a 3 carat from them would be way out of budget and you are only looking to see if she would prefer to search elsewhere for a 3 carat. They likely would not take that too well. Also, be sure the 3 ct is as equally well cut as the 2 carat. This will be the tough part because cut quality goes lower and lower in the higher carat diamonds.

As far as eye clean goes you have that correct, VS and up will be eye clean. Vvs is overkill and you don't need to go that high on clarity to get an eye clean diamond. You will see this when you view stones in person.

As far as color goes, I think you are a little more concerned about color than need be. I dont think you will be able to tell the difference between D,E, or F color in diamonds that are set. If side by side and in large carats, you may be able to but it will be tough. Everyone's eyes are different though so it should be a fun learning experience for you. Just be sure to take your time and weigh all of your options. You have a huge budget that you can choose to spend in so many different ways. Just figure out what works best for you and don't get rushed into a quick decision just because you have a large budget.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425766911|3843476 said:
With your budget, I would only consider superideal cut if you don't go with HW. Whiteflash has the 2 ct D IF and they can tell you if they can access larger D-E diamonds. Same with Crafted by Infinity (High Performance Diamonds), and Good Old Gold Signature Hearts and Arrows. All would have to be asked what they can access. They also may be able to custom cut a stone for you. I'd absolutely go with the best diamonds in the world if working with that kind of budget. There is zero reason to settle for less (other than to get a brand name). But I should add that the 3 ct JA stone is likely equal to the diamond quality you'd get at HW.

I look forward to hearing about your visit to HW! I will be curious to see whether she favors brand over size and equal to better quality!

I went to the boutique today and took some pics. I uploaded them below. I know it's hard to tell from just the pictures.

By the way, about the yellowish reflections: is that the "yellow" color of the diamond being E color, or is it most likely due to the lighting of the store?

Please give me your opinions on the pics :)

Thanks!

img_8735.jpg

img_7324.jpg

img_8742.jpg

img_8729.jpg

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Medical|1425770977|3843524 said:
Lots of good points here. Just gonna insert this warning: showing her the 3 ct HW stone may backfire and cause her to feel less satisfied with the 2 carat HW yet still want a branded stone now in the 3 ct range haha. Human beings are incredibly relativistic, so we tend to want something that is comparatively good (thus seeing something even bigger and better makes what we're looking at worse), rather than having specific parameters of good, great, bad, etc.

I typed about this in another post :razz:
Even if she wants it, she knows I do not have the money for it. It's just not going to happen haha.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Travelgal|1425771703|3843530 said:
Enhasa- you said that you were working with the New York store. Can you visit The US? Based on your budget, it seems like it would be worthwhile to visit the US if you wanted to see other stones in person. I am not sure if you have the time available to be away from work, but something potentially to consider. Maybe you already travel extensively, but would your girlfriend think its cool to travel to the US to choose her stone? Seems like a fair amount of bragging rights and you could get a fun trip out of it. Just a thought.

I am not working with the NY store. It was simon123 that was working with the NY store.
I am currently in the US as well. Sorry about the confusion.

My gf will be back into the US on Tuesday. She is in NZ currently and was in Asia for a short holiday.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
pfunk|1425791580|3843641 said:
Just be sure not to tell them that a 3 carat from them would be way out of budget and you are only looking to see if she would prefer to search elsewhere for a 3 carat. They likely would not take that too well. Also, be sure the 3 ct is as equally well cut as the 2 carat. This will be the tough part because cut quality goes lower and lower in the higher carat diamonds.

As far as eye clean goes you have that correct, VS and up will be eye clean. Vvs is overkill and you don't need to go that high on clarity to get an eye clean diamond. You will see this when you view stones in person.

As far as color goes, I think you are a little more concerned about color than need be. I dont think you will be able to tell the difference between D,E, or F color in diamonds that are set. If side by side and in large carats, you may be able to but it will be tough. Everyone's eyes are different though so it should be a fun learning experience for you. Just be sure to take your time and weigh all of your options. You have a huge budget that you can choose to spend in so many different ways. Just figure out what works best for you and don't get rushed into a quick decision just because you have a large budget.

Yea I understand what you mean. I'll just have her compare in terms of the size and not other aspects.
I haven't tried it for this setting. It may look good. I've seen the 5 carat diamond in this setting in the store front, and it looks great.

My gf did try the 3 carat Tiffany setting, and it looked huge and unwieldy, which is probably because the diamond itself is elevated so it looks just very big and tall. It's a nice ring, but it's a bit too overwhelming for my girlfriend's finger size.

I can't tell the color difference myself, though the SA is able to because she handles this on a daily basis. My gf was sorta able to when she compared 2 other diamonds side by side under natural light, but the difference was still very very faint.

So I think I will just settle for whichever diamond that has the best cut as long as its D to F and VS and up. For now #2 seems to be the most popular diamond so far :)

enhasa

Rough_Rock
simon123|1425772074|3843531 said:
Yes this was back in December 2014, and there are two projects almost finished and the third is a 3CT RB Super Ideal - you want the stone to sparkle. The whole PS forum got me obsessed with CUT CUT CUT. When you see a few diamonds beside each other with different cuts it is much more noticeable than colour / clarity. I could not tell the difference between a D and G or an FL-VS2 without an eye loupe (even then I have no idea what to look out for). I can see sparkle though, last thing I want is a 3CT that is dead looking. HW was too expensive and not worth the extra $$$. Yes if money was no object and I didn't care sure would have just bought it. But that is not me, half the fun is doing the research and looks like I am heading down that route to have a stone cut from rough to exactly my requirement (and at no extra cost to me.)

You are getting a rough stone cut to a final polished product? That sounds very exciting actually. I won't do it myself this time round, but maybe this can be something for the future.

About the 15% discount, how much were the rings that you were looking at? Were they around the same carat size?

Thanks!

simon123

It was a 3CT E VVS1 - 135k + 8.9% NYC sales tax.

Your plan of action. Your wife wants and HW - go for it. But you need to price a better diamond than HW and a ring setting from LM, SK, VC - lets say 10k tops.

Go back to HW and show them what you can get for your money elsewhere. Ask the sales assistant to justify the additional $$$. Be willing to walk away - but leave your number. Credibility is another thing as they are trained to know if your serious or not.

Bear in mind HW are now owned by SWATCH. Then again Bugatti Veyron is owned by VW. :wall:

Good Luck.

p.s. For the money your saving not buying an HW - tell your wife you will throw in a Porsche Boxster (and still will have a better ring) and at least you can join in on the fun.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
enhasa|1425790843|3843636 said:

I just talked to her and brand is #1 concern. Not exactly limited to a specific brand, but any big name brand (i.e. Cartier, Harry Winston, etc) is fine.

She values your input way more than mine. When I brought up #2, she completely flipped out at me ;(
But when I told her about what you and most people had said, she changed her mind.

So currently, she is open to #2 and #3. I will get her to see it in person and then we will decide what to do from there.

Thank you so much!
GIRRRL this guy is gonna get you the ring of your dreams! He's talkin' to me, he's not going to just go off the reservation! #2 is my top pick. Of all that we've ever discussed. #3 would not be one I kicked out either but I like 2 better. Ultimately what SHE likes in person will matter.

enhasa|1425790922|3843637 said:
Yea I think I will do just that. Ame suggested I have all these rings out and let her see if she can see any difference herself. If she can't, we will just go with #2 since it really isn't a lot more expensive than the cheapest option and specs wise its the best.
I am dying to know if there's one she IMMEDIATELY goes to, specifically this one or if another grabs her eye. For all we know she might find that a different cut quality is more her speed, that perfect on paper doesn't do it for her. But I am also interested in seeing if in the end she decides size matters--and if so we will not let her end up with a dud non-branded ring. Seriously. We won't. If she's reading this (I am sure she is): NO ONE besides you two will know it's not the brand name, esp if you go with someone like Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera for the setting. I ASSURE YOU. Unless you tell people that it's non branded, anyway. They're just gonna see a MONSTER on your hand and think DAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYMMMM!!!!! Just don't take it off your hand to show them an inscription ;-)

enhasa|1425791192|3843639 said:
I just asked her about this. I think the best way is to have a 3 carat ring next to #2 when she sees the ring in person, and then if she decides the 3ct is something she likes more, then we will go with the unbranded ring.

For now, she is still insistent on the branding. I know she would rather have the best of both worlds and get a 3ct HW ring, but I don't think I can afford it even if I rob a bank. That's a lot of cash I got to be carrying out of the branch. :oops:
Yea, don't go robbin' a bank for a ring ;-)

enhasa

Rough_Rock
simon123|1425815462|3843730 said:
It was a 3CT E VVS1 - 135k + 8.9% NYC sales tax.

Your plan of action. Your wife wants and HW - go for it. But you need to price a better diamond than HW and a ring setting from LM, SK, VC - lets say 10k tops.

Go back to HW and show them what you can get for your money elsewhere. Ask the sales assistant to justify the additional $$$. Be willing to walk away - but leave your number. Credibility is another thing as they are trained to know if your serious or not.

Bear in mind HW are now owned by SWATCH. Then again Bugatti Veyron is owned by VW. :wall:

Good Luck.

p.s. For the money your saving not buying an HW - tell your wife you will throw in a Porsche Boxster (and still will have a better ring) and at least you can join in on the fun.

we were just talking about cars last night too. For some reason she just likes the Lexus IS A LOT. I don't know why. I brought up the Porsche Macan to her but she said the car looks like a frog :silenced:

Wait, HW has a 3CT E VVS for 135k?! Was it triple excellent, or do you remember any other details about the ring? Was it a round diamond? What about the setting too?

I am looking at this design (http://www.harrywinston.com/store/engagement/diamond-rings-2/products/classic-winston-round-engagement-ring) and everything that they are coming back with are >105k for a 2 carat that is triple excellent. I kept telling them VS is fine, but they keep showing me all the VVS rings, which I don't really mind as long as it falls within Ame's cheat sheet and that the price isn't ridiculously higher than a VS that falls within the cheat sheet. But for each clarity grade that I go down, I save about 10k.

What is the name of your SA? So she offered you 15% right away? Or are you a VIP or longtime customer?
My local store isn't offering much discount. There is a new store in Hawaii however that is being more aggressive on discounts because they're somewhat new and want to meet quotas. I was going to pass on HW and go with another brand instead, but then I found about this store through a Cartier SA in Hawaii.

It's a bit of a hassle but I'll fly to Hawaii in the morning and fly back at night just to save on the taxes :lol:

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1425839140|3843876 said:
enhasa|1425790843|3843636 said:

Thank you so much!
GIRRRL this guy is gonna get you the ring of your dreams! He's talkin' to me, he's not going to just go off the reservation! #2 is my top pick. Of all that we've ever discussed. #3 would not be one I kicked out either but I like 2 better. Ultimately what SHE likes in person will matter.

enhasa|1425790922|3843637 said:
I am dying to know if there's one she IMMEDIATELY goes to, specifically this one or if another grabs her eye. For all we know she might find that a different cut quality is more her speed, that perfect on paper doesn't do it for her. But I am also interested in seeing if in the end she decides size matters--and if so we will not let her end up with a dud non-branded ring. Seriously. We won't. If she's reading this (I am sure she is): NO ONE besides you two will know it's not the brand name, esp if you go with someone like Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera for the setting. I ASSURE YOU. Unless you tell people that it's non branded, anyway. They're just gonna see a MONSTER on your hand and think DAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYMMMM!!!!! Just don't take it off your hand to show them an inscription ;-)

enhasa|1425791192|3843639 said:

Yea, don't go robbin' a bank for a ring ;-)

Thanks for the advice!
When she gets back to the U.S., I'll be bringing her to the store to look at it.

I understand what you mean about the non-branded ring. To be honest, at the very start, I was going to go with a non-brand, and she flipped out on how I am being a cheap ass that is trying to buy her a half-assed cheap ring and how she is going to be ashamed in front of all her friends :wall:

Then I figured since I don't know how to look at diamonds well, I might as well go with a brand then since she emphasizes so much on it plus at least I know I won't get ripped off with a dud, though the premium for a brand itself is a lot of money because they have to do the selection for us + marketing costs. Her friends like to discuss about the brand of the ring they buy, so in a way that influences her as well.

I'll try to talk to her again about a non-brand today.

Insurance for a ring is so goddamn expensive too :wall: Do you have a company that you recommend for jewelry?
I talked to my own insurance and they are charging a lot just to add the ring onto my policy.

Thank you so much!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing "cheap" about someone who is willing to spend over 100k on an engagement ring. Does she understand that you aren't trying to cut down on what you spend, but rather get the best diamond for your money? As others have said, if all she really cares about is the branded ring, then I think you must buy that. But if she understands how much more she will get if you skip the branding and just go for the best maybe she will be happy when she figures out that she has a nicer diamond than most, if not all, of her friends.

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
enhasa|1425855692|3844020 said:
I understand what you mean about the non-branded ring. To be honest, at the very start, I was going to go with a non-brand, and she flipped out on how I am being a cheap a$$ that is trying to buy her a half-assed cheap ring and how she is going to be ashamed in front of all her friends :wall:

Then I figured since I don't know how to look at diamonds well, I might as well go with a brand then since she emphasizes so much on it plus at least I know I won't get ripped off with a dud, though the premium for a brand itself is a lot of money because they have to do the selection for us + marketing costs. Her friends like to discuss about the brand of the ring they buy, so in a way that influences her as well.

I want to say Leon Mege got his start at Harry Winston and many custom pieces of Harry Winston are contracted out to Leon and other NY artisans. But I read that on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt.

I personally do not think brand name equates quality, but I am not the person who will be wearing the ring. Regarding the diamond, many popular Pricescope vendors can offer you superior cut and quality without the brand price markup. A diamond is a diamond and GIA/AGS don't favor grading based on brand name. If you truly value quality over anything else, there are many knowledgable members here on Pricescope that will be happy to guide you on your diamond and jewelry search.

Although many Pricescopers may say otherwise, in my experience, if you're in NYC I recommend calling up Leon Mege. He handles lots of high end diamonds and makes some of the best platinum settings and offers "diamond concierge" service. See what he has to offer. The other two vendors in his league are Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera. Steven Kirsch made my e ring and I wouldn't hesitate to go to him again.

Insurance for a ring is so goddamn expensive too :wall: Do you have a company that you recommend for jewelry?
I talked to my own insurance and they are charging a lot just to add the ring onto my policy.

Check out Jewelers Mutual. It's what I have and I think their prices are reasonable.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Lookinagain|1425859120|3844040 said:
There is nothing "cheap" about someone who is willing to spend over 100k on an engagement ring. Does she understand that you aren't trying to cut down on what you spend, but rather get the best diamond for your money? As others have said, if all she really cares about is the branded ring, then I think you must buy that. But if she understands how much more she will get if you skip the branding and just go for the best maybe she will be happy when she figures out that she has a nicer diamond than most, if not all, of her friends.

No, I don't mean that 100k for a ring is cheap and neither does she. She misunderstood what my original intentions, which is to go with the best diamond for the money, rather than to get the same diamond HW sells for 100k, at a price of 50 to 60k outside for instance.

I think for now she cares about the branding so that's what I'll go with. She has to be happy with her ring otherwise I'm gonna get nagged at nonstop :pray:

enhasa

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1425863431|3844072 said:

These rings are pre-owned, right?
There is no way she's going to want them. I'll have an easier time convincing her to go with a non-brand than a pre-owned even if the pre-owned costs 2x my current budget... Plus I personally don't want to get a pre-owned ring as well.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
OECrystal|1425860880|3844063 said:
I understand what you mean about the non-branded ring. To be honest, at the very start, I was going to go with a non-brand, and she flipped out on how I am being a cheap a$$ that is trying to buy her a half-assed cheap ring and how she is going to be ashamed in front of all her friends :wall:

I want to say Leon Mege got his start at Harry Winston and many custom pieces of Harry Winston are contracted out to Leon and other NY artisans. But I read that on the internet, so take it with a grain of salt.

I personally do not think brand name equates quality, but I am not the person who will be wearing the ring. Regarding the diamond, many popular Pricescope vendors can offer you superior cut and quality without the brand price markup. A diamond is a diamond and GIA/AGS don't favor grading based on brand name. If you truly value quality over anything else, there are many knowledgable members here on Pricescope that will be happy to guide you on your diamond and jewelry search.

Although many Pricescopers may say otherwise, in my experience, if you're in NYC I recommend calling up Leon Mege. He handles lots of high end diamonds and makes some of the best platinum settings and offers "diamond concierge" service. See what he has to offer. The other two vendors in his league are Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera. Steven Kirsch made my e ring and I wouldn't hesitate to go to him again.

Check out Jewelers Mutual. It's what I have and I think their prices are reasonable.

Thanks! this is actually really helpful. I'll mention this to her and see what she says.

About jeweler's mutual, have you filed any claims yet so far? I know the odds are slim for any sort of insurance claim, but I am worried they're one of those companies that play hard ball once u do need to file a claim.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
I think it still boils down to a very straight-forward question:

Does she want the best in the world [WF's stone (D color, IF clarity, AGS000 optics) set by a world-class ring maker (Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, or Leon Mege)] or does she want the notoriety and recognition of the name brand (HW)?

There is no wrong answer, but whichever she decides will make the purchase far easier!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1425877309|3844147 said:
I think it still boils down to a very straight-forward question:

Does she want the best in the world [WF's stone (D color, IF clarity, AGS000 optics) set by a world-class ring maker (Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, or Leon Mege)] or does she want the notoriety and recognition of the name brand (HW)?

There is no wrong answer, but whichever she decides will make the purchase far easier!

Most likely, it's the latter.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
BrownyJones|1425878892|3844151 said:
Hello enhasa, i think u should get her a nice 2ct replica of the fugly harry winston ring for 30k and not tell her its a replica and then spend the 100k on some new stones for yourself or maybe donate the 100k to an orphanage around the corner and down the street. Its a win win for everyone, you get some new stones and your lovely fiance-to-be is able show her friends her fugly harry winston and still be able to live with all of us!

That would be so wrong on so many levels....
I am not against spending 100 to 150k on a ring for her. She deserves it, and I can afford it. Sure, 150k is a lot of money, but this is pretty much a once in a lifetime thing (I don't foresee doing any upgrade anytime soon).

It is not a win-win for everyone. If she finds out, she will raise hell and it won't be pretty. If I was going to get her a 30k ring, I'd have told her I'm buying her a 30k ring from the very start.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
OP- you are a very generous, thoughtful and patient man. From everything you are saying, get her the Harry Winston ring. There is something to be said when a woman gushes over her ring. Louis Vuitton doesn't make the best purses and Christian Louboutin doesn't make the best shoes in many people's eyes, but the women that have their products love them. I have only shopped at Tiffany's so I can't compare to HW, that said have you asked the sales associate you are working with about waiting for a lower clarity stone (ie vs1)? The current stones do feel a little bit overkill on the clarity, so I am wondering if you wait a little bit or push the sales representative if she can find you a little bit bigger diamond. If not, then I agree with the others about stone #2. I love the setting she chose. Classic, timeless and beautiful.

simon123

Sorry it was 2.3 CT E VVS - that make it more scary.

Macan will hold money better than the diamond :)

We were there for two days and I needed a decision and would wire the funds and the price started dropping.

jhiguchi (at) harrywinston dot com

Tell you your flying in for a few days, give her the spec, you have seen the ring at another store.

DEF you wont see the difference at all, but you wallet will notice it.

Also be mindful any slight mark or chips (over the years of ownership and wearing it) on the stone and you are just slightly over the 2CT , that if it had to be re-cut and drop under the 2CT - you have lost a fortune on that stone. The reason it is 2.01 is the cutter has tried to save the weight to take it over the magic 2CT for the extra $$$. Otherwise he would have lost a leg if it turned up 1.99 CT.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
simon123|1425896624|3844182 said:
Sorry it was 2.3 CT E VVS - that make it more scary.

Macan will hold money better than the diamond :)

We were there for two days and I needed a decision and would wire the funds and the price started dropping.

jhiguchi (at) harrywinston dot com

Tell you your flying in for a few days, give her the spec, you have seen the ring at another store.

DEF you wont see the difference at all, but you wallet will notice it.

Also be mindful any slight mark or chips (over the years of ownership and wearing it) on the stone and you are just slightly over the 2CT , that if it had to be re-cut and drop under the 2CT - you have lost a fortune on that stone. The reason it is 2.01 is the cutter has tried to save the weight to take it over the magic 2CT for the extra $$$. Otherwise he would have lost a leg if it turned up 1.99 CT.

Thanks!

I'll try calling her.

Was your diamond round or what shape was it? Anyhow, the 15% discount is great! :)

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Travelgal|1425888282|3844164 said:
OP- you are a very generous, thoughtful and patient man. From everything you are saying, get her the Harry Winston ring. There is something to be said when a woman gushes over her ring. Louis Vuitton doesn't make the best purses and Christian Louboutin doesn't make the best shoes in many people's eyes, but the women that have their products love them. I have only shopped at Tiffany's so I can't compare to HW, that said have you asked the sales associate you are working with about waiting for a lower clarity stone (ie vs1)? The current stones do feel a little bit overkill on the clarity, so I am wondering if you wait a little bit or push the sales representative if she can find you a little bit bigger diamond. If not, then I agree with the others about stone #2. I love the setting she chose. Classic, timeless and beautiful.

Thanks!

In a way, I can't be waiting indefinitely or too long as well, so time isn't on my side.

I gave her Ame's cheat sheet and told her to find a diamond within those specs, and these are what she came up with for now. Not sure if she looked in VS clarity, but I will ask her again today.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, gorgeous rings! That really is one of the most classic and elegant settings! I see that the brand is important in her world, so there is nothing we can do to convince her otherwise! The ring is in the best of taste and certainly fine quality. There is NO yellow in D-F color diamonds, so you are seeing reflections of the environment when you see color in a colorless diamond. My opinion is that of these 4, the 2.01 E VVS has the best angles and cut of the 4. I understand what Simon is saying about getting a stone close to 2 cts, though. In this case, there is no indication that the cut was sacrificed to get over the 2 ct mark. It has the best numbers of the 4 original rings. But I also would absolutely go to VS1 and try for 2.20+ if they have anything within the company, because that size is going to be a little more impressive for the money you are paying. I would just tell them that is what you want. I think she may be unhappy with a 2 ct stone sooner rather than later. If you can pay $150k for a ring, you are going to be in a world with women with much larger diamonds. So I'd go a little larger now by going down to VS1 which is extremely clean...you generally cannot see anything with a 10x loupe. But make sure she is okay with that, because some people like VVS as well as brand name. I can guarantee they will be able to meet your request as they will want to make the sale. They certainly can locate a diamond and set it for you. Just be certain you control the diamond chosen and don't let them talk you into a lesser quality cut.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't do VS2, just VS1.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
enhasa|1425875892|3844139 said:
OECrystal|1425860880|3844063 said:

Thanks! this is actually really helpful. I'll mention this to her and see what she says.

About jeweler's mutual, have you filed any claims yet so far? I know the odds are slim for any sort of insurance claim, but I am worried they're one of those companies that play hard ball once u do need to file a claim.
I have been observing Jewelers Mutual and their handling of client claims for over 15 years and there is not a single case that I am aware of where the client was not made whole and claim settled promptly. I am constantly impressed by this company and how they do business. VERY client centered.

No hardball or games. Just good ol' fashion customer service from everything I have seen.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1425904083|3844205 said:
Ahh, gorgeous rings! That really is one of the most classic and elegant settings! I see that the brand is important in her world, so there is nothing we can do to convince her otherwise! The ring is in the best of taste and certainly fine quality. There is NO yellow in D-F color diamonds, so you are seeing reflections of the environment when you see color in a colorless diamond. My opinion is that of these 4, the 2.01 E VVS has the best angles and cut of the 4. I understand what Simon is saying about getting a stone close to 2 cts, though. In this case, there is no indication that the cut was sacrificed to get over the 2 ct mark. It has the best numbers of the 4 original rings. But I also would absolutely go to VS1 and try for 2.20+ if they have anything within the company, because that size is going to be a little more impressive for the money you are paying. I would just tell them that is what you want. I think she may be unhappy with a 2 ct stone sooner rather than later. If you can pay $150k for a ring, you are going to be in a world with women with much larger diamonds. So I'd go a little larger now by going down to VS1 which is extremely clean...you generally cannot see anything with a 10x loupe. But make sure she is okay with that, because some people like VVS as well as brand name. I can guarantee they will be able to meet your request as they will want to make the sale. They certainly can locate a diamond and set it for you. Just be certain you control the diamond chosen and don't let them talk you into a lesser quality cut.
This is what I was thinking. If she truly wants the brand, then still try to get the biggest diamond within budget. VS1 will get you a bigger diamond that is still wonderfully clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results