shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your opinions on these 4 diamonds :)

Please vote for the best diamond out of these 4!

• #1 2.05 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2 2.01 E VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • #3 2.06 D VVS2 Triple E

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • #4 2.09 E VVS1 Triple E

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1425915660|3844309 said:
diamondseeker2006|1425904083|3844205 said:
Ahh, gorgeous rings! That really is one of the most classic and elegant settings! I see that the brand is important in her world, so there is nothing we can do to convince her otherwise! The ring is in the best of taste and certainly fine quality. There is NO yellow in D-F color diamonds, so you are seeing reflections of the environment when you see color in a colorless diamond. My opinion is that of these 4, the 2.01 E VVS has the best angles and cut of the 4. I understand what Simon is saying about getting a stone close to 2 cts, though. In this case, there is no indication that the cut was sacrificed to get over the 2 ct mark. It has the best numbers of the 4 original rings. But I also would absolutely go to VS1 and try for 2.20+ if they have anything within the company, because that size is going to be a little more impressive for the money you are paying. I would just tell them that is what you want. I think she may be unhappy with a 2 ct stone sooner rather than later. If you can pay $150k for a ring, you are going to be in a world with women with much larger diamonds. So I'd go a little larger now by going down to VS1 which is extremely clean...you generally cannot see anything with a 10x loupe. But make sure she is okay with that, because some people like VVS as well as brand name. I can guarantee they will be able to meet your request as they will want to make the sale. They certainly can locate a diamond and set it for you. Just be certain you control the diamond chosen and don't let them talk you into a lesser quality cut.
This is what I was thinking. If she truly wants the brand, then still try to get the biggest diamond within budget. VS1 will get you a bigger diamond that is still wonderfully clean.

If you decide size and cut are what you're after, and the name brand isn't the most important factor, consider this option:

5.591ct, I, VS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3200101.htm

That stone would DEFINITELY wow anyone interested in size and cut. It will be tough for anyone to compete with that!

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Ahh, gorgeous rings! That really is one of the most classic and elegant settings! I see that the brand is important in her world, so there is nothing we can do to convince her otherwise! The ring is in the best of taste and certainly fine quality. There is NO yellow in D-F color diamonds, so you are seeing reflections of the environment when you see color in a colorless diamond. My opinion is that of these 4, the 2.01 E VVS has the best angles and cut of the 4. I understand what Simon is saying about getting a stone close to 2 cts, though. In this case, there is no indication that the cut was sacrificed to get over the 2 ct mark. It has the best numbers of the 4 original rings. But I also would absolutely go to VS1 and try for 2.20+ if they have anything within the company, because that size is going to be a little more impressive for the money you are paying. I would just tell them that is what you want. I think she may be unhappy with a 2 ct stone sooner rather than later. If you can pay $150k for a ring, you are going to be in a world with women with much larger diamonds. So I'd go a little larger now by going down to VS1 which is extremely clean...you generally cannot see anything with a 10x loupe. But make sure she is okay with that, because some people like VVS as well as brand name. I can guarantee they will be able to meet your request as they will want to make the sale. They certainly can locate a diamond and set it for you. Just be certain you control the diamond chosen and don't let them talk you into a lesser quality cut.
This is what I was thinking. If she truly wants the brand, then still try to get the biggest diamond within budget. VS1 will get you a bigger diamond that is still wonderfully clean.

I just spoke to the SA and she's gonna look.

The problem is that they have to look at rings available only in the U.S. so choices are limited. For rings that are currently overseas, HW has to pay taxes / duties to get them shipped to the U.S., and they will not offer any concessions as a result. They also want me to pre-pay in full before having the ring shipped over (though the money can be used towards another ring if we decide not to move forward with that ring), so that is also an issue.

I don't want to be held hostage with 100k+ store credit (having 80k credit with Tiffany is already bad enough) because once they have my money in their pocket, they are going to be less motivated to negotiate any sort of discounts or put in as much effort to look for the ring I want.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1425904202|3844207 said:
I have been observing Jewelers Mutual and their handling of client claims for over 15 years and there is not a single case that I am aware of where the client was not made whole and claim settled promptly. I am constantly impressed by this company and how they do business. VERY client centered.

No hardball or games. Just good ol' fashion customer service from everything I have seen.

I see. Thanks for the heads up.
I called them and they told me the premium is going to be around 3.9k annually for 0 deductible, and about 3.1k for 2500.

They said they will work with the store in the event of a repair or replacement, and will pay the store directly. If I have to pay any payments ahead of time (such as a deposit to hold the new ring), they will pay me later on or something along those lines (the guy on the phone wasn't sure himself).

Coverage is up to what I paid for. So I have a question and the CSR didn't have an answer to this. HW, Tiffany, Graff and ESPECIALLY Cartier increases their prices each year. The ring that costs 125k right now, may very well be say 150k a few years from now, depending on cost of diamond, metal and their markup.

So essentially, if I still want a 2 carat ring from HW, I will have to pay the difference? Or is there any way to get the coverage limits increased each year round to adjust for the new price?

Thanks!

enhasa

Rough_Rock

Thanks!
I spoke to the SA so hopefully she can get me something within those limits.

So for a VS / VVS diamond, the inclusions won't have a noticeable affect on the visual of the diamond, right? As in the fire / brilliance, sparkles, etc.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
enhasa|1425939707|3844516 said:
I called them and they told me the premium is going to be around 3.9k annually for 0 deductible, and about 3.1k for 2500.

They said they will work with the store in the event of a repair or replacement, and will pay the store directly. If I have to pay any payments ahead of time (such as a deposit to hold the new ring), they will pay me later on or something along those lines (the guy on the phone wasn't sure himself).

Coverage is up to what I paid for. So I have a question and the CSR didn't have an answer to this. HW, Tiffany, Graff and ESPECIALLY Cartier increases their prices each year. The ring that costs 125k right now, may very well be say 150k a few years from now, depending on cost of diamond, metal and their markup.

So essentially, if I still want a 2 carat ring from HW, I will have to pay the difference? Or is there any way to get the coverage limits increased each year round to adjust for the new price?

Thanks!

You can have the ring appraised as often as you need and update jewelers mutual policy with the new appraisal. Your appraiser should note the replacement value

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enhasa|1425939418|3844513 said:

I just spoke to the SA and she's gonna look.

The problem is that they have to look at rings available only in the U.S. so choices are limited. For rings that are currently overseas, HW has to pay taxes / duties to get them shipped to the U.S., and they will not offer any concessions as a result. They also want me to pre-pay in full before having the ring shipped over (though the money can be used towards another ring if we decide not to move forward with that ring), so that is also an issue.

I don't want to be held hostage with 100k+ store credit (having 80k credit with Tiffany is already bad enough) because once they have my money in their pocket, they are going to be less motivated to negotiate any sort of discounts or put in as much effort to look for the ring I want.

Is this also your thread?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-needed-to-choose-between-these-2-carat-round-diamonds.209870/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-needed-to-choose-between-these-2-carat-round-diamonds.209870/[/URL]

enhasa

Rough_Rock
:wacko:
canuk-gal|1425940998|3844536 said:

Yes.
I basically moved on from diamonds 1-4 in that thread and told my SA to look for a diamond within the specs of Ame's cheat sheet.
Took a while and basically these new 4 diamonds are what she came back with, and I need to make the decision really soon.

Also to add: got locked out of that account.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
giraffecushion|1425940691|3844529 said:

Thanks!

You can have the ring appraised as often as you need and update jewelers mutual policy with the new appraisal. Your appraiser should note the replacement value

Do I bring the ring back to HW for that? Or do I need to hire an independent appraiser each time round?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1425933522|3844473 said:

If you decide size and cut are what you're after, and the name brand isn't the most important factor, consider this option:

5.591ct, I, VS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3200101.htm

That stone would DEFINITELY wow anyone interested in size and cut. It will be tough for anyone to compete with that!
F^#@ harry winston, gimme this :love:

MixedPeel

Rough_Rock
Nothing useful to add except good luck... Good luck with everything...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enhasa|1425943466|3844565 said:

Thanks!

Do I bring the ring back to HW for that? Or do I need to hire an independent appraiser each time round?

It doesn't matter, but if HW is accessible, it would be best to have them do the update every few years especially since they would be replacing the ring. It's not going to really hurt someone like you as much if there is a loss and say the ring had gone up 10% as it would a young couple with little kids and a middle class income. I certainly would take the highest deductible they will allow.

I will tell you that my jewelry is insured through Chubb, and that is a policy where they write you a check to replace wherever you want. They do offer me an opportunity to increase coverage every year with no new appraisal which is nice. They supposedly no longer write a standalone jewelry policy, but if you have other assets such as fine art or antiques, you might want to consider Chubb homeowners policy in order to get their valuable articles coverage.

http://www.chubb.com/personal/content/products/valuablearticles/jewelry.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have an $80k credit at Tiffany and you are even thinking of looking elsewhere for a ring???? :-o If you don't need it, I'll really be happy to take that off your hands!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Tiffanys makes custom ring if the order is over $50k. Have you considered asking if Tiffany's will make you a custom ring to your specifications?

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Travelgal|1425966590|3844747 said:
Tiffanys makes custom ring if the order is over $50k. Have you considered asking if Tiffany's will make you a custom ring to your specifications?

I'm not buying anything from them. It's a long story but it's just one big mess.
Currently I am trying to get the 80k store credit refunded to me, but I don't know if that's going to get anywhere. But even if they say no, I have relatives that probably will be shopping there, so I'll pay for them and they'll reimburse me instead. Good thing is that my cousin is getting married at the end of this year so the longest I got to hold onto this is for about another 9 months.

Worst case scenario I will offer this to friends at a discount.

diamondseeker2006|1425952606|3844655 said:
You have an $80k credit at Tiffany and you are even thinking of looking elsewhere for a ring???? :-o If you don't need it, I'll really be happy to take that off your hands!

If you are interested I am willing to let it go at a discount :)

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1425952395|3844652 said:

Thanks!

It doesn't matter, but if HW is accessible, it would be best to have them do the update every few years especially since they would be replacing the ring. It's not going to really hurt someone like you as much if there is a loss and say the ring had gone up 10% as it would a young couple with little kids and a middle class income. I certainly would take the highest deductible they will allow.

I will tell you that my jewelry is insured through Chubb, and that is a policy where they write you a check to replace wherever you want. They do offer me an opportunity to increase coverage every year with no new appraisal which is nice. They supposedly no longer write a standalone jewelry policy, but if you have other assets such as fine art or antiques, you might want to consider Chubb homeowners policy in order to get their valuable articles coverage.

Thanks!

I will check these out definitely.

Jeweler's mutual requires the appraisal before insuring the ring, and according to HW it will take about a month for it to arrive.
I can only pray the ring doesn't get damaged or go missing within that time period :pray:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
enhasa|1425943411|3844564 said:

Yes.
I basically moved on from diamonds 1-4 in that thread and told my SA to look for a diamond within the specs of Ame's cheat sheet.
Took a while and basically these new 4 diamonds are what she came back with, and I need to make the decision really soon.

Can we have two accounts on here??

enhasa

Rough_Rock
Sphene|1425980220|3844776 said:

Yes.

no idea. i can't access the other account at all however, and i used a email that i no longer have access to as well.

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
"I understand what you mean about the non-branded ring. To be honest, at the very start, I was going to go with a non-brand, and she flipped out on how I am being a cheap a$$ that is trying to buy her a half-assed cheap ring and how she is going to be ashamed in front of all her friends."

Ummm excuse me for saying this but she put you down by calling you a cheap azz when you are bending over backwards to make her happy?! Not nice.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
enhasa|1425968807|3844754 said:

Thanks!

Thanks!

Jeweler's mutual requires the appraisal before insuring the ring, and according to HW it will take about a month for it to arrive.
I can only pray the ring doesn't get damaged or go missing within that time period :pray:
It takes a month to get the reports?! I have such an issue with that. Tiffany does that too, and it should be with the ring.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chihuahua6|1425990012|3844810 said:
"I understand what you mean about the non-branded ring. To be honest, at the very start, I was going to go with a non-brand, and she flipped out on how I am being a cheap a$$ that is trying to buy her a half-assed cheap ring and how she is going to be ashamed in front of all her friends."

Ummm excuse me for saying this but she put you down by calling you a cheap azz when you are bending over backwards to make her happy?! Not nice.
I have to agree that there's a lot of comments coming from her that are not really polite considering just how much money and effort you've put into this for her. The end goal is a marriage. You don't NEED a ring to get engaged or married, certainly not one of this pricerange. It's just a bonus.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1425998122|3844870 said:
Chihuahua6|1425990012|3844810 said:

I have to agree that there's a lot of comments coming from her that are not really polite considering just how much money and effort you've put into this for her. The end goal is a marriage. You don't NEED a ring to get engaged or married, certainly not one of this pricerange. It's just a bonus.

It's alright it was just a misunderstanding. She wasn't the one who forced me into spending so much for a ring. I evaluated what I was comfortable with paying and came to this price range. Anything more I can't though. I also want to get the best that I can afford, and since she is pretty insistent on a big brand, it comes down to these diamonds that I can afford. I understand the WW / james allen diamonds are (much) better in terms of spec.

most of her friends have rings from the big store brands, even for those who are buying 20-30k engagement rings, so she's heavily influenced by them as well.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
ame|1425998018|3844866 said:
It takes a month to get the reports?! I have such an issue with that. Tiffany does that too, and it should be with the ring.

Yea I have no idea why they do that. Graff ships the official paperwork and original GIA cert from London directly, so it takes longer than a month for them. For HW and Tiffany, they are shipped out from NY, but it also generally takes about a month.

For now all I have is that photocopy version of the GIA cert that I took a picture of. They said they can issue a temporary appraisal document, but that is really just a sales receipt that states retail value of the diamond (it will state price of what I paid, not original MSRP). I asked my insurance company about this and they said that document will not work. They will need the official appraisal documents.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enhasa|1425986801|3844800 said:
Sphene|1425980220|3844776 said:

Yes.

no idea. i can't access the other account at all however, and i used a email that i no longer have access to as well.

Click report concern and tell the administrator that you were locked out of old account and opened a new one so they can delete the old one. I know two accounts are not allowed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enhasa|1425968807|3844754 said:

Thanks!

Thanks!

You cannot wait a month. Chubb lets me insure with a copy of the sales receipt as long as there is a description and price and I attach a copy of the diamond grading report. I assume they can give you a copy of the diamond grading report, so the detailed sales receipt and GIA report should be insurable by someone. I imagine you may have to insure something else with Chubb in order to get their valuable articles policy, but it is an outstanding policy and I found rates not to be higher than JM at the time I was insuring.

If you don't want to pursue Chubb policies, I would use copies of sales receipt and GIA report to add onto your homeowners insurance until you have what you need to do a JM policy.

enhasa

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426012911|3845074 said:
Click report concern and tell the administrator that you were locked out of old account and opened a new one so they can delete the old one. I know two accounts are not allowed.

Thanks. I just did it so hopefully someone will get back to me soon.

diamondseeker2006|1426013218|3845081 said:
You cannot wait a month. Chubb lets me insure with a copy of the sales receipt as long as there is a description and price and I attach a copy of the diamond grading report. I assume they can give you a copy of the diamond grading report, so the detailed sales receipt and GIA report should be insurable by someone. I imagine you may have to insure something else with Chubb in order to get their valuable articles policy, but it is an outstanding policy and I found rates not to be higher than JM at the time I was insuring.

If you don't want to pursue Chubb policies, I would use copies of sales receipt and GIA report to add onto your homeowners insurance until you have what you need to do a JM policy.

My car and home policy is with Farmers, and they said they can't use the receipt and copy of the diamond report. I won't be going with them though because the rates they're giving me is way too high. It's almost twice of what Jeweler's mutual quoted me.

I haven't given Chubb a call yet, but I will do so today.

Thanks for the heads up!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chubb will be an uphill climb but definitely try it. If all else fails do Jewelers Mutual. I would rather do a standalone than through my homeowners/car insurance company.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard of only one person who was able to get a standalone at Chubb without an additional policy, but it was for a 4 ct diamond (which would have had a lower value than this one). So they may make exceptions for people they think may be good prospects for other policies. It is well worth pricing Chubb for homeowners, especially if your current insurance is quoting a high rate for jewelry. They may have higher rates in general.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
How did you do the voting?

enhasa

Rough_Rock
garek007|1426028828|3845215 said:
How did you do the voting?

there is a poll option below when you create a new thread.

diamondseeker2006|1426015303|3845110 said:
I have heard of only one person who was able to get a standalone at Chubb without an additional policy, but it was for a 4 ct diamond (which would have had a lower value than this one). So they may make exceptions for people they think may be good prospects for other policies. It is well worth pricing Chubb for homeowners, especially if your current insurance is quoting a high rate for jewelry. They may have higher rates in general.

I called them today and they said they cannot do it for me :(

ame|1426014719|3845104 said:
Chubb will be an uphill climb but definitely try it. If all else fails do Jewelers Mutual. I would rather do a standalone than through my homeowners/car insurance company.

Are there any benefits as to a standalone policy? I always thought it is cheaper to bundle them up together for a discount.

The SA got back to me with these other diamonds:

2.56 Carat, F, VVS1
HCA 0.8
59.5% depth, 58% table, 33.5° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle

2.24 carat, D, VVS2
HCA 1.2 Everything's excellent but Scintillation is very good.
59.5% depth, 59% table, 32° crown angle, 41° pavilion angle

2.09 E VVS2 (this ring falls under your cheat sheet's parameters)
HCA 0.7, everything's excellent but spread is very good.
60.8% depth, 57% table, 34° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

2.52 E VS 1 (117k)
HCA 1.3, everything's excellent but spread is very good.
62.3% depth, 56% table, 35.5° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

Are they any better?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, a 2.52 E VS1 for less than the 2 ct E VVS. It would be so much easier to choose from these if you could access idealscope or ASET images, BUT, I'd probably just go for the 2.52 E VS1 and if you for some reason don't think it looks as good as the 2 ct diamond you saw, then you could exchange it. I cannot see paying more for a visibly smaller stone when this stone will look the same (still totally eyeclean) but a LOT larger! There is a big difference between 8.1 and 8.5mm (you didn't give us the diameter measurements, but those are the approximate measurements of 2 and 2.5 cts. I just cannot see spending over $100k on a diamond ring at close to 2.0 cts.

(#2 has a really low crown angle which would make me eliminate it. Not attractive in the profile view. #3 is too small and not enough improvement over the original stone we recommended. #1 is okay but I'd choose E VS1 over F VVS2 as color will be more visible than that particular clarity difference.)

Incidentally, most ideal cut stones will be excellent for the first three items on the HCA and very good for spread, so this is fine on this particular diamond.

I would also tell them you cannot wait a month for the insurance valuation. That is ridiculous. Worst case scenario, there are independent jewelry appraisers who hopefully could do one for you right away, and it should be clear cut with the sales receipt and the copy of the GIA report. Then you can later send them a copy of the HW valuation for their files. Under no circumstances over insure. They will only cover the value of the item you lost and not an inflated amount. That is why I insure for the amount I paid. Sorry Chubb didn't work! I think many of us prefer a stand-alone jewelry policy because they may be a little more familiar with particular customers, and I think JM is more willing to work with the jeweler of your choice as opposed to some jeweler they have an arrangement with. But in your case, this ring would have to be replaced at HW since that is a large part of its value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results