shape
carat
color
clarity

People give their kids weird names.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 11:32:37 AM
Author: LuckyTexan
I say this ALL THE TIME!!!!

When I was in the hospital having my first son, I had to walk around every night... after c-sec... and I was amazed at all the names people were naming their kids.

My personal favorite:

Quebella... her mother said... she made it up because her daughter is a beautiful queen.

Unique... but not crazy! LOL!

I think Apple is cute... but I''d never use it!

My sons are Alexander- we DO NOT call him Alex. I call him Xander for short... and my baby is Grant. Very classic.

Funny thing. Alexander means defender of mankind... most famous Alexander of course being, Alexander the GREAT... GRANT... means... GREAT hahahahahaha!

TOTALLY unintentional!
My FI is Alexander but he goes by Ander. No one uses it in this country, but it is fairly common in nordic countries. He says Alex is the name of a Disney tour guide
3.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2008 7:58:18 AM
Author: softly softly
There is a football player here in Australia with the surname of Roughead and believe me it is very fitting. And I remember another player who has since retired, whose surname was Kickett.
Oh yeah, Dale Kickett played for Fremantle! How funny.

And who could forget one of the world's greatest ever tennis players, Margaret Jean COURT?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2008 11:22:25 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Oh I went to college with a girl named Lindy Anna....her last name was Jones.
lol!!!!
9.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I used to live in a town that had a car dealership named after the owner. Dick Witham.

Yeah, I''d LOVE to purchase an automobile from a place called "Dick Witham Auto."

They eventually changed the name to "Witham Auto Centers." Good idea.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I just thought of another I heard.

A woman who named her twins "Crystal" and "Cannon." Her last name was "Ball."

Ugh. Why?

I grew up with neighbors named the Jessens. George and Jane. Every single time I think of "Meet George Jessen... Jane, his wife." (you know, the Jetsons).

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
I have a funny story about parents and the wacky names they choose for their poor, unsuspecting babies! This one is better spoken than in written word, but I will try my best anyway. A good friend of mine works as a teacher in a marginalized school district. She had a boy in her class named Corvette Miles. That alone was legendary name, little did we know just how talented Corvette''s mom was in the baby-name department!

So, a few years ago, during an open house function Corvette''s mom dropped by with her newborn baby. Her son was in my friend, Ms. M''s, class for the past two years. She showed off her baby to Ms. M and announced that the girl''s name was what sounded like Uh-Biss-Sid-Dee. My friend was distracted by all the other parents and at that moment, couldn''t attend to Corvette''s mom. As it turns out, the woman waited until Ms. M was free.

"Ms. M, don''t you want to know my baby''s name?"
"Well, yes, didn''t you tell me already?"
"Yeah! But let me spell it out for you..."

Corvette''s mother proceed to the dry erase board and wrote out the following: Abcde

And that my friends is Corvette''s sister name; Abcde Miles!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thats'' crazy. It''s a good thing they didn''t use the entire alphabet!!

I used to have a dentist whose name was Dr. Fux but it was pronounced Fewks, like pukes.
38.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recall hearing someone had named their twins Grilled Cheese and Tomato. Makes River Phoenix and Leaf et all almost normal.

I knew a girl named Joey. Not Josephine, nothing feminine. Her dad wanted a boy and that was it.

And how can we forget BLANKIE and PRINCE? Prince might not be so bad but he named ALL of his kids that, except Blankie. Imagine having a weird name like that AND him for a dad!

I know a Major and a Fitz and a Dagny. Now, Dagny is okay if you are from a Nordic country but it is an odd choice for an American girl with no Nordic ancestry.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone remember the Olympic Skier named Peek-a-boo? How about that football player Pooh-Bear?

I went to school with a Candy Valentine, a Heidi Hough, and a Benn Oeff (pronounced Off), who swore he had an uncle called Jack (eww).

I taught a child called Trebor (it was his father''s name backwards)

I have also encountered a child named Spatula. Yes, like what you flip pancakes with.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 6:25:03 PM
Author: Fancy605
Anyone remember the Olympic Skier named Peek-a-boo? How about that football player Pooh-Bear?
I remember Picabo Street! She was the one that won at Lillehammer, right? She totally owned that name.

I can''t believe no one''s brought this up yet, but Asher is probably a popular Jewish name because of the meaning of the name. It means "happy." It''s the name of one of Jacob''s sons by his first wife Leah''s maidservant Zilpah.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2030:13;35:26;49:20;%20Exodus%201:4;%201%20Chronicles%202:2

I love the name, but seriously, pleeeeease don''t spell it ASScher! I don''t care how much I adore the cut, or you love the cut - you should love your own child more!
28.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread!

I went to school with boys called Saxon and Nelson (no relation to each other). I was also friends with a girl who went by the unfortunate name of Gaye Neal. It won''t surprise you to learn she''s changed her name now...

I was at college with a Richard Death (Dick Death? Ew!).

My dad tells me he had a teacher called Mr Sidebottom, but that he insisted on the pronunciation "Siddybot-OME"... yike.

I do like unusual names though (but not the plain weird). My son is called Phoenix. He''s 3.5 and so far thinks it''s a really cool name. I guess having lived in England & New Zealand the name is associated here with the mythical bird, rather than the US state. :)

I''m going to have a nightmare trying to find another name to go with that though, when we have a second child!

x x x

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
How about the Boston Red Sox Center Fielder, Coco Crisp?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Also, my friend''s cousin had twins last year - a boy and a girl - last name is Walker. Their names are Luke Sky and Leia Sky. No joke.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/17/2008 3:56:03 PM

Author:
diamondfan

I know an Asher. It is common amongst Jewish families I think, though certainly not exclusively.

Caroline is absolutely right and this might want to make us pause before we assume that all names that seem strange to us are just jokes! Sometimes we need to take a deep breath and pause for a moment of cultural sensitivity. As soon as I saw that someone thought that "Asher" was given to a child as a joke I thought of Chaim Potok''s classic novel, My Name is Asher Lev. Not everyone in the United States is Anglo-Saxon nowadays.

Deborah
34.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:52:21 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Also, my friend''s cousin had twins last year - a boy and a girl - last name is Walker. Their names are Luke Sky and Leia Sky. No joke.
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know of two dentists: Drs. Pain and Fear!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2008 5:14:34 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Well, I will stick up for wierd names. I am Cashel and as far as I know, I am the only girl in the world with that name and I wouldn''t have it any other way. My FI and I are going to name our daughter Meridiana, also a very unusual name. I never had to be one of the masses of Kat, Catherine, Kathryn, Katie, Kate, Katrina, Katea, etc and while they are lovely names, I got to be special everyday because of mine.

But I work in insurance and I have seen some good ones. My favorite is Dick Whacker V. That''s right, not only was it bad enough the first time, but 5 times, pretty sad.

I also love Ima Hogg, daughter of a Texas govenor who was not a nice guy and of course Dick Butkus (sp). He was supposedly the meanest football player of his time and with a name like that, who can blame him.

I know Moon unit went by moon for a while and I think now she goes by Luna, much better.
I used to fly with Meridiana twice a week - they were probably the most unreliable airline I know!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know a guy last name....Head first name....Richard

i always call him Dick.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a joke Dancing Fire?????????
27.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 4:41:39 PM
Author: onvacation
Date: 7/20/2008 6:25:03 PM

Author: Fancy605

I remember Picabo Street! She was the one that won at Lillehammer, right? She totally owned that name.

I can''t believe no one''s brought this up yet, but Asher is probably a popular Jewish name because of the meaning of the name. It means ''happy.'' It''s the name of one of Jacob''s sons by his first wife Leah''s maidservant Zilpah.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2030:13;35:26;49:20;%20Exodus%201:4;%201%20Chronicles%202:2

I love the name, but seriously, pleeeeease don''t spell it ASScher! I don''t care how much I adore the cut, or you love the cut - you should love your own child more!
28.gif

Do people really spell it Asscher? I know A LOT of Aschers, and I''d say about half of them spell it "Ascher" and the other half "Asher". I think it has nothing to do with the diamond cut, it''s just another very common way to spell the name, but it''s with one "s" not two.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2008 12:40:21 AM
Author: Linda W
Is this a joke Dancing Fire?????????
27.gif
onetime....i introduced him to some friends .they were (including two ladies) ROTF LAUGHING THEIR A$$ OFF ...
rotflmao2.gif
i could of make it simple and just say....hey everybody i want you guys to meet my friend Richard,but that would of been no fun.
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now I really don''t believe you!!!!!
23.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
A manager at the first place I worked at was Richard Shaver. He went by the nickname Dick, of course.

I also grew up on Queen Ann Hill a block away from the Love Israel cult in Seattle in the early '80s. I knew tons of kids named Mellow, Logic, Clean, Perfection etc. I remember thinking Mellow was soooo lucky when her mom left the cult and let her pick a new name- of course, being five or whatever, she renamed herself Jewel. Actually my DH has a good friend who married Perfection so I got to meet them again as grownups, as well as good old Love himself, who still lives in the Northwest. Love made me a bit nervous but Perfection and Clean are nice folks. I swear I didn't make up a single one of those names! Clean & Perfection are actually Love's kids- Perfection's husband calls her Perf for short. I remember when my DH was introduced to Clean and looked slightly boggled at the name, Clean just calmly said "Yep, Clean, as in, you know, not dirty." Guess it doesn't bug him but it's GOT to get old having to say that every dang time you introduce yourself.

When going to college, I wrote up a diploma when working at the registrar's office and found out one of my classmate's legal name was Vesta Light (normal last name) Earthling. She went by Light (normal last name) but had never legally changed it. She was a sweet girl and I had a few classes with her and couldn't resist asking her about the unusual name when she picked up the diploma; she said the normal last name was not original to her name, but it was her father's and she'd added it as an adult, if I am remembering right, so her birth name was just Vesta Light Earthling. I always thought Light was a rather pretty name, before I knew what the whole deal was.

A friend in highschool was a girl named Sage. Her legal name was Christina Sage, but her mother swore that the father had been drunk and told the doctors the name backwards and it should have been Sage Christina; anyway, her mom always called her Sage anyway, and so did everyone else.

Another friend was named Sunshine, for real. She goes by Alice now, but I still forget and call her Sunshine sometimes because that's what I knew her as.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone read the book Freakonomics? There is a whole chapter in there about names and the impact they might have on a person''s life, and as I read this thread I was reminded of a few things I read in there:

* ''Asher'' is a name that the authors predicted would appear on the ''most popular baby names'' lists in 2015 (see here - at the end of the page - for the list!)

* Quite a number of people choose careers that ''match'' their name - seems there are rather a lot of lawyers named ''Mr/Ms Judge'' and doctors named ''Dr Blood'' etc! There''s also a rather sad segment about a girl named ''Temptress'' and a man who named his two sons ''Winner'' and ''Loser''.

* Names that seem ridiculous to us today may be very mainstream in as little as ten years. The example they give is ''Madison'', which they say would have been considered extremely odd thirty years ago, but ever since the Tom Hanks movie about the mermaid who took her name from a street sign, it''s become mainstream...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
This article is very fitting!!

article

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Hee! I like the name Asher, but I think I''m biased because the guy I had a crush on in Jr. High was named that.
2.gif

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2008 10:32:25 AM
Author: OUpeargirl

This article is very fitting!!

article
I just read that. Poor girl. It''s awful when 9 year old has more sense than their parents.

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
When I was in college, a girl rushed our sorority named "Love Joy Seamen". I couldn''t believe it then, and still barely believe it now. Parents can be so cruel.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
speaking of... linky

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 5:44:24 PM
Author: diamondfan
I know a Major and a Fitz and a Dagny. Now, Dagny is okay if you are from a Nordic country but it is an odd choice for an American girl with no Nordic ancestry.

DF, you know them? A friend of mine substitute-teaches at the boys' school sometimes and said that, despite everything, they seemed like pretty nice kids.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results