shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline Q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

satine112

Rough_Rock
I''m thinking of getting a paraiba tourmaline, but the ones i see on ebay, the neon ones, are from Thailand and i get the sneaking suspicion that they are heat treated.

are they supposed to be or no?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost all Paraiba tourmalines today have been heat treated to get that turquoise blue colour. They started off as a steely purple. It is an accepted treatment practice.

satine112

Rough_Rock
Ok - good to know!!! heh. this is trouble for my wallet.

i'm so glad i've discovered this stone through you guys though, THANK YOU!

through some searches here, i see there are a lot of fakes, and i should be concerned if they are only $100-300ish? is this true? i want to get a nice stone and basically copy what another gal did here with the double halo from LOGR

eta: i ordered this ring from LOGR:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ruby-Diamonds-14k-White-Gold-Ring_W0QQitemZ390147306965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Rings?hash=item5ad69775d5

is this a good ring?? i got it for $255.

when i made a best offer, what do ppl normally pay for his stuff? for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OVAL-6x8MM-DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-ROSE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING_W0QQitemZ220544270841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Rings?hash=item33597681f9

what do ppl usually pay for this guy?

satine112

Rough_Rock
*sigh* i wish i had a friend sitting beside me saying "yes buy this one, and no, don''t buy that one" lol this is stressful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on if it is real and not a fake or substitute (apatite), plus the saturation, clarity and size. More importantly, does it glow like it has its own internal battery source? For $100 to $300, I probably wouldn’t expect a nice looking Paraiba. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with LOGR to be able to comment on what people usually offer/pay for his settings.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be careful buying gemstones from Ebay. Especially Paraiba Tourmaline. The majority on there aren''t what they seem. For the amount you''re stating, unless the gem is miniscule I would be very very very wary. As Chrono has suggested, you''re more likely to end up with an Apatite. Look closely at the wording and you may find it says something like "............. Paraiba apatite" in other words Apatite and not Paraiba anything!

In terms of LOGR, he won''t accept your offer unless it''s fair. Typically take off 10% the listing price (maybe a little more if you''re lucky).

satine112

Rough_Rock
Can I PM you with a question about the stone?? (i checked your profile and i don''t see a link where you can do a PM, so i''m not sure if pricescope even has the capability)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The PM function on PS no longer exists.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Satine - if you REALLY want the gemstone you''ve found on Ebay then don''t post a link because it''s been known for lurkers to pounce and buy before you do. However, if you''re only considering it and are worried and think it may not be right for you then post up a link. I''ll be around for the next 30 minutes or so and you can always post the link and then edit it out within 5 or 10 minutes?

I''ll keep checking back to see if you''ve posted anything. There are plenty of people who will be honest and give their opinion if it helps.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can get some nice paraibas on ebay. I have gotten 4 of them, 3 from ebay and LOVE em. The best places are Thaigemscity, and thaigemstore IMO. They both sell reall stuff, not apatite or glass and for a good price.

ETA: If they are blue they are heated. Unheated ones are purple.

Stay away from gems-bank....i have heard baaaaad stuff about their quality.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2010 3:12:30 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Please be careful buying gemstones from Ebay. Especially Paraiba Tourmaline. The majority on there aren''t what they seem. For the amount you''re stating, unless the gem is miniscule I would be very very very wary. As Chrono has suggested, you''re more likely to end up with an Apatite. Look closely at the wording and you may find it says something like ''............. Paraiba apatite'' in other words Apatite and not Paraiba anything!

In terms of LOGR, he won''t accept your offer unless it''s fair. Typically take off 10% the listing price (maybe a little more if you''re lucky).
I would aim a little lower, for he will usually make a counteroffer if you are not totally off the ball park.

satine112

Rough_Rock
hmm i think this is not allowed. deleted.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 4:45:10 PM
Author: satine112
hmm i think this is not allowed. deleted.
Satine you are allowed to link to Ebay auctions is that what you were worried about?

satine112

Rough_Rock
no - i put up my email address so we could email eachother, but i think it''s not allowed.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 5:02:00 PM
no - i put up my email address so we could email eachother, but i think it''s not allowed.
Oh no don''t do that. I think it''s allowed but it''s seriously not a good idea.

satine112

Rough_Rock
so - i can trust thaigemscity?

what about gemsjgems or rockandgems or bdevaney13 (they all have good feedback)

to get the stone and then set it in the double halo rose and white gold setting from LOGR, do i need a clear stone or would a "murky" one also do/be nice??

i guess thaigem.com is also ok?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmm can you trust those Ebay vendors? I wouldn't. Honestly, you'll get what you pay for. You need to do a bit of research first. Look at the real prices of PT. On Ebay you'll get (typically) non-neon gemstones (people will always tell you that their PTs are neon but they're invariably not). They may be bright and lively but there's a difference to being "neon" "in yer face" which is what a PT is. Also, most Ebay PTs are highly included and poorly cut. Then of course you have to be sure you get what you're being sold. Some will sell certified gemstones so they should be trusted? Right? No. Unfortunately not. Certificates can be fraudulently bought or can leave out very important details (in the case of sapphire for example, they may not state the treatment).

Have a look at this vendor - they are selling PTs. Unfortunately the PTs on the market at the moment are not great (unless you're paying tons of $s) even from this vendor. 5 years ago you could get wonderfully coloured gems and this actually kept the price down for a while but unfortunately the material has become much scarcer and difficult to find.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=3

As for Thaigem? Mmmmm, I don't think I'd better post what I think on here!!!

satine112

Rough_Rock
ok, thanks for your input.

i saw the stone and fell in love, unfortunately, it seems i just can't afford one. a nice one anyways.

then i saw tourmaline_lover's ring and DIED. it's what i am trying to recreate for about $5-600. (preferably less?) but i guess it cannot be done. i am not rich, so that is a lot of money for me to spend on a fun pretty ring.

*goes back to my cheap jewelry*
8.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 5:23:11 PM
ok, thanks for your input.

i saw the stone and fell in love, unfortunately, it seems i just can't afford one. a nice one anyways.

then i saw tourmaline_lover's ring and DIED. it's what i am trying to recreate for about $5-600. (preferably less?) but i guess it cannot be done. i am not rich, so that is a lot of money for me to spend on a fun pretty ring.

*goes back to my cheap jewelry*
8.gif
Nooooooooooooo don't give up! You've just aimed a bit high! Imagine you'd just started to drive, you probably wouldn't be looking to buy a Rolls Royce would you? That's the equivalent (sort of) of buying a PT!!!!

You've picked a (normally) expensive gemstone and are trying to get it on a budget. It can be done but not in one night! It might take a few months (or longer). If I were you, I'd definitely look at other options! There are plenty of other gemstones that you could get a similar colour and within budget. PT like a lot of other gemstones aren't for everyday wear so that's another reason why you should try and find something a little more within budget because imagine how stressed you'd be if you damaged it? At least with a cheaper gemstone you can always replace it and not have to sell your house to do so!!!

satine112

Rough_Rock
lol true. i am so impatient. i guess i''ll be forced to learn how to wait now.

i have a london blue topaz ring (albiet too small for my taste) that i got 11 years ago. maybe time to buy a new, bigger one.

and then i have my ruby ring that i just bought, hopefully i like it irl

and then my wedding and ering

and a pretty amythesyt that looks like kunzite from overstock.

i have a lot of jewelry to buy still! lol

(thank you for all your help, you''ve been so wonderful!)

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2010 5:10:11 PM
so - i can trust thaigemscity?

what about gemsjgems or rockandgems or bdevaney13 (they all have good feedback)

to get the stone and then set it in the double halo rose and white gold setting from LOGR, do i need a clear stone or would a 'murky' one also do/be nice??

i guess thaigem.com is also ok?
BDevaney13 is good. I have used him many times. His sapphires are lab or BE treated, but his paraibas are real. He is a nice guy who is selling his collection after bad times.

I have used thaigemcity and it was exactly as described. I have a RI, and tested the RI and BF of the stone and it tested as tourmaline.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, here's a suggestion for you ............ if you like Topaz, why not go for a Sky Blue Topaz? You can get some very bright ones and you won't have to really worry about treatments/heating etc because they've all been "done". That way, you get a reasonably priced gemstone with a nice bright colour and will probably still have change for an LOGR setting!

There you go - that could be achieved in one night!!!

satine112

Rough_Rock
LOL you crack me up!

i wish that the PM function was working, i want to ask tourmaline_lover how many mm her cuprian in the double halo setting are. poop.

eta: thanks rockhugger! i think the stone i'm looking at might not actually be neon, even though it says it is. the more i look at it, the more it's LESS neon.
7.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies to Rock Hugger as I know she has recommended this seller but this has to be one of the worst "Paraiba Tourmalines" I''ve ever seen. Trust me, this is not worthy of even being buried in the same soil as a PT!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320476510097

I''ll email TL and ask her to pop along to help you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 5:43:36 PM
LOL you crack me up!

i wish that the PM function was working, i want to ask tourmaline_lover how many mm her cuprian in the double halo setting are. poop.

eta: thanks rockhugger! i think the stone i'm looking at might not actually be neon, even though it says it is. the more i look at it, the more it's LESS neon.
7.gif
Satine,
Thank you for the kind words.

Be leary of coated "Paraiba color" topaz on ebay as well. Much paraba is also photoshopped heavily on ebay to look neon when it isn't.

Which ring of mine are you talking about? The double halo oval?

LOGR typically accepts offers of 10% less than the buy it now price.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 4:36:31 PM
Author: RockHugger
You can get some nice paraibas on ebay. I have gotten 4 of them, 3 from ebay and LOVE em. The best places are Thaigemscity, and thaigemstore IMO. They both sell reall stuff, not apatite or glass and for a good price.

ETA: If they are blue they are heated. Unheated ones are purple.

Stay away from gems-bank....i have heard baaaaad stuff about their quality.
Many years ago they (Thaigemscity and sister store Thaigemvilliage) had much finer material, but not so much any more, but I agree that they have real material and you can request a GIT cert for an additional price for one of their stones. It may also be fracture filled, but it's real tourmaline. Whether it's neon or not, that's a different story.

As for Thaigemstore, they are a mixed bag, and they enhance their videos, but you've gotten lucky with your minty tourmaline from them.
1.gif

satine112

Rough_Rock
yep, the double halo. i am hoping to recreate it! lol

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 6:00:38 PM
yep, the double halo. i am hoping to recreate it! lol
I purchased that stone several years back when, as LD said, PT prices were more affordable. I think you can get a light minty cuprian tourmaline from ebay, that can be attractive, for a lesser price. RockHugger purchased a very pretty and bright minty tourmaline from Thaigemstore recently, and I think it would stand out in such a double oval setting.

However, if you have your heart set on a blue and most importantly, neon PT, it's just very difficult to find in that price range. I have some lighter cuprians that look very bright and minty, so that's a more affordable option as well. Do you have a picture of the stone you're interested in? Do not attach the link, but just the photo, so we can surmise the quality.

BTW, LOGR can modify that setting to fit the stone of your choice, if you get an oval. The price varies depending on if there is more gold and diamonds being added to the piece.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2010 5:49:40 PM
Apologies to Rock Hugger as I know she has recommended this seller but this has to be one of the worst 'Paraiba Tourmalines' I've ever seen. Trust me, this is not worthy of even being buried in the same soil as a PT!

I'll email TL and ask her to pop along to help you.
oh wow! That is crappy looking. He usually has alot better stuff on there. Like I said though, he is selling his own personal collection so maybe thats one of his discount stones LOL. His selection is usually mixed. He can have some NICE stuff and a couple butt ugly stones, or a bunch of ugly stones with 1 or 2 nice stones thrown in.
He has had some paraibas in the past that were AMAZING, and sold for quite a bit.

Yes, the minty tourmaline I got from thaigemstore looks better then most of my paraibas, and has a nice 'glow' about it. I bought that for 24$. There are tourmalines that arnt paraiba that still have the glow and general color of a paraiba for MUCH cheaper.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 6:15:56 PM
Author: RockHugger

Date: 1/28/2010 5:49:40 PM
Apologies to Rock Hugger as I know she has recommended this seller but this has to be one of the worst ''Paraiba Tourmalines'' I''ve ever seen. Trust me, this is not worthy of even being buried in the same soil as a PT!

I''ll email TL and ask her to pop along to help you.
oh wow! That is crappy looking. He usually has alot better stuff on there. Like I said though, he is selling his own personal collection so maybe thats one of his discount stones LOL.
He has had some paraibas in the past that were AMAZING, and sold for quite a bit.

Yes, the minty tourmaline I got from thaigemstore looks better then most of my paraibas, and has a nice ''glow'' about it. I bought that for 24$. There are tourmalines that arnt paraiba that still have the glow and general color of a paraiba for MUCH cheaper.
Well I''m glad you didn''t buy that because it''s truly awful and I''d be recommending a sanity check if you thought that was a Paraiba!!! Actually some of his/her other stuff is seriously seriously iffy as well. Check out the "Padparadscha" sapphires!!!! Unfortunately some people hide behind the "I''m selling my own private collection" to sell tat that they''ve picked up along the way and either now know better or seriously believe their own hype lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results