shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline Q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is next to my cuprian ring. It looks rather drab here, but it''s a pretty minty stone.

TLcupriansfw3.JPG

satine112

Rough_Rock
that cuprian ring seriously makes me cry it''s so beautiful.

actually - i blame all of this on you! hahah if i hadn''t seen your ring, maybe i wouldn''t be so gung-ho on all of this.

i bid on a stone from taksingem, but lost out to one of his usual "winners" and now i''m mad, i feel like the whole thing is just fraudulent.

the same 2 ppl over and over, 15 feedback in a row from each.

7.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sounds like shill bidding....trying to get you to bid higher. Now that he won he will post postive feedback and relist it.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/29/2010 6:22:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here it is from further away. It looks really awful in this picture. My camera doesn''t do green well. The above photo was taken in indirect sun. This one indoor lighting.
I think it looks fab! Pariabas just have a personality of ther own. Each one is different.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 6:26:48 PM
Author: satine112
that cuprian ring seriously makes me cry it''s so beautiful.

actually - i blame all of this on you! hahah if i hadn''t seen your ring, maybe i wouldn''t be so gung-ho on all of this.

i bid on a stone from taksingem, but lost out to one of his usual ''winners'' and now i''m mad, i feel like the whole thing is just fraudulent.

the same 2 ppl over and over, 15 feedback in a row from each.

7.gif
Oh thank you Satine,
I never heard my jewelry making anyone want to cry (maybe in a bad way - LOL!!).

It''s unfortunate that Taksingem has gone to these levels. In the past, I didin''t notice this, but oh well. My minty pear stone was a bid at a start price of $89 and I was the only one that bid on it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 6:41:35 PM
Author: RockHugger

Date: 1/29/2010 6:22:41 PM
Here it is from further away. It looks really awful in this picture. My camera doesn''t do green well. The above photo was taken in indirect sun. This one indoor lighting.
I think it looks fab! Pariabas just have a personality of ther own. Each one is different.
Thank you RH,
I actually feel uncomfortable calling it a Paraiba though since it''s not one of those kryptonite glowy stones.
4.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh I know. But alot of people dont know what a cuprian tourmaline is, but know what a paraiba is.

satine112

Rough_Rock
i purchased a stone and it will be here this week.

when i get it, do i just walk into a jewelry store and ask their gem guy to verify that it''s authentic?? how do i go about doing this??

do you have any idea how much it might cost?

thanks!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Usually need a refractometer to be sure... and make sure he uses the filter too because tourmalines and apatite can have the same RI. Some of the mozambique paraibas have needles, so if its one of those you can usually verify its a cuprian tourmaline by the look of it and the needles.

Some jewelers who have a refractometer charge a small fee (10$), some dont.

satine112

Rough_Rock
thanks Rockhugger! if i see needles, then i guess i won''t bother? hmmm if it''s only like $10 or something, maybe i''ll just get it looked at anyways for peace of mind. can''t they simulate needles as well now??

i may have paid too much for the stone as well, who knows. Over $200 and i know that''s cheap for paraiba (mozambique, but still)but i am just so impatient and wanted the ring now.

haha a fool and their money are parted, right?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you have a vendors pic of the stone? weight? I have never seen a glass paraiba, or a apatite with needles. It is usally a tell all sign its real.

Thats why I bought my refractometer. I hated not knowing 100% for sure with my tanzanites (and found a couple fakes I thought were real).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget needles. Not all cuprians have them. Most of mine don''t so don''t rely on that. Just go into a jewellers and ask them to take a look. However, ask them what tests they will perform. Looking at it through a loupe won''t be definitive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bluish green cuprian I looked at and returned showed a copper needle or two. The current turquoise coloured cuprian that I have do not show any needles although it has some wispy veil inclusions that is borderline eye clean.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look, no needles!!!! But a mahoosive window (and no recut - just for TL
9.gif
)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT stone is so beautiful, now I want to cry!!

Thanks LD, and thanks for not cutting it. I love it, regardless of the window.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 2:43:49 PM
Now THAT stone is so beautiful, now I want to cry!!

Thanks LD, and thanks for not cutting it. I love it, regardless of the window.
Well honestly TL it''s over 4ct and I would have lost a huge amount with a recut because it''s already so shallow. Now I just need to think about getting it set as the decision to recut has been shelved. I think this one deserves a very special setting though so it may be sometime in the pipeline!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason, I thought that stone was like 15 carats or so. Yes, the weight loss would have been too much. Beautiful color on that Mozambique.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No you're thinking of my certified 18.34ct pendant - which also needs a recut and also has a wndow!
9.gif
This one?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 2:59:42 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
No you''re thinking of my certified 18.34ct pendant - which also needs a recut and also has a wndow!
9.gif
This one?
Yes, I was thinking of that one

*faints*
30.gif

Wow, stones like that would make me rethink cleaning windows again. LOL!

satine112

Rough_Rock
holy crap, those are some pretty stones!

i''ll post pictures when i get the stone. i don''t want to post the ebay ones here, as i don''t have it yet and don''t want to be disappointed before it even arrives ;-)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 6:35:41 PM

i''ll post pictures when i get the stone. i don''t want to post the ebay ones here, as i don''t have it yet and don''t want to be disappointed before it even arrives ;-)
Well the way I deal with this is to assume that it''ll be the worst mistake in the world, the gem will have horrible cutting and the colour in the auction will be photoshopped. That way, if it''s even half decent I''ll be happy! Strangely the gems that have disappointed me the most are the ones that I''ve had really high hopes for (and usually paid a lot for)!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 6:38:57 PM

Date: 2/1/2010 6:35:41 PM

Well the way I deal with this is to assume that it''ll be the worst mistake in the world, the gem will have horrible cutting and the colour in the auction will be photoshopped. That way, if it''s even half decent I''ll be happy! Strangely the gems that have disappointed me the most are the ones that I''ve had really high hopes for (and usually paid a lot for)!
Wow, you and me both!! I can totally relate. LOL!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe that looking for a nice Paraiba on the ebay is the same as looking at "celebrity-like dresses on a budget" in Glamor or In Style. They show you Jennifer Lopez outfit and then explain how you can get the same look at TopShop or H&M. I mean, it is better to save for a really nice one (maybe a small but still nice one) from Paraiba International than try to buy something on ebay and end up with neon apatite. I think many of us, myself included, fall for that bait, merely for lack of knowledge.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/1/2010 7:16:30 PM
Author: crasru
Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe that looking for a nice Paraiba on the ebay is the same as looking at ''celebrity-like dresses on a budget'' in Glamor or In Style. They show you Jennifer Lopez outfit and then explain how you can get the same look at TopShop or H&M. I mean, it is better to save for a really nice one (maybe a small but still nice one) from Paraiba International than try to buy something on ebay and end up with neon apatite. I think many of us, myself included, fall for that bait, merely for lack of knowledge.
IMO, when shopping on ebay, dont buy anything you havnt done your research on. I didnt buy paraibas on ebay till I did a ton of research on them. So far (knock on wood) no apatites. Apatites are pretty easy to pick out, as they are usually very glassy looking and lack the ''tourmaline sheen'' as I call it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No you''re thinking of my certified 18.34ct pendant - which also needs a recut and also has a wndow!
9.gif
This one?

18.35? I think I read yesterday that gems are not an investment? Even with a window, it is a straight candidate for Sotheby''s. Or, if Sotheby''s reject it for some reason, Christie would grab this.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would sleep with that 18ct tourmaline under my pillow every night, and in my pocket ever day :D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you kidding, I couldn''t sleep with it. I''d be up all night staring at it!!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
I''m so happy you are not recutting both of those. With that colour, glow level, and the price of cuprians today, the carat weight and value loss is too great. I would cry if you decide to ever get them recut.
39.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 8:25:57 PM
Author: RockHugger
I would sleep with that 18ct tourmaline under my pillow every night, and in my pocket ever day :D

And I would CHAIN it to my left wrist (and ankle since it is so huge) so it won't run away!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
You guys really make me giggle!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Date: 2/1/2010 7:46:59 PM
Author: crasru

No you're thinking of my certified 18.34ct pendant - which also needs a recut and also has a wndow!
9.gif
This one?

18.35? I think I read yesterday that gems are not an investment? Even with a window, it is a straight candidate for Sotheby's. Or, if Sotheby's reject it for some reason, Christie would grab this.
It's NOT an investment - trust me! Yes, I could sell this particular one for probably 10 times the purchase price (which was very low) - on the right day to the right buyer BUT if the market were to be flooded with neon, clean Paraiba Tourmalines tomorrow, or another find with exceptionally wonderful gemstones came on the market, it wouldn't be an investment as I would probably only recoup what I'd paid (perhaps more). The market is sooooooo fickle and moves up and down constantly. I never ever buy for investment. I buy for the love of the gemstone.

By the way, in answer to your question about whether to buy off Ebay? I doubt very very much whether you'll find a true neon PT on there. You'll find nicely coloured (occasionally well saturated) Curprite Tourmalines but whether any of them would achieve the Paraiba title is debatable. Everybody thinks they have a PT and that it "glows" and is "neon" and I've seen many people who have such specimens but then when you show them a real PT they say "oh, ok I can see the difference!" To give you some perspective, I've probably seen over 1,000 "paraiba" tourmalines and kept only a handful!

This is how people get fooled also. On the left is an Apatite, on the right, a Paraiba Tourmaline. You're seeing them side by side but imagine you hadn't seen one before, or had only seen a handful - would you honestly know the difference if the Apatite was delivered to you? This is actually quite a dark Apatite but they come much lighter so you can see how they can be passed off as Tourmaline.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results