shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval 2 carat tsavorite and 1.5 carat violet spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
OMG, what lovely colors on both of those! Lavendar spinel and Tsav are both on my wish list -- color me jealous.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 6:25:21 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
TL- those are gorgeous stones...i would actually debate giving up my first born child from the violet spinel!!!LOL!

Really no halo?! I understand what you mean by sometimes having too many halos being overkill, but that spinel in the legacy setting was to die for!!! if you did a 3 stone would you do RB''s as the side stones? That would also look nice but the halo would stop my heart!

I can''t wait to see completion photos!
Thank you Sarah, but I do hope you keep your first born!! LOL!!

I''m not doing a three stone ring with them since one is a cushion, and the other two are ovals, but I do like the combination of colors together. They''re all so different in coloration, and I thought that was a neat photo. I wish it would fit in the legacy, but it''s a tad bit small, and I think the halo (all the metal) overwhelms the stone a little bit. I want something a bit subdued for the spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2009 8:31:01 PM
Author: Kay
OMG, what lovely colors on both of those! Lavendar spinel and Tsav are both on my wish list -- color me jealous.
Thank you Kay! I've been looking a long time for a lavender without so much grey or pink (I wanted a more bluish lavender).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love purple in high karat yellow gold; it’s just so rich looking. What? Do I need new glasses and to clean my ears? TL is considering a solitaire style setting (or at least something non-halo)?
25.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so weird, sometimes it's more purple and sometimes it's more violet blue. Definitely no pink in this stone though. I'm still debating which color gold to go with. I'm a bit drawn toward high karat yellow gold for this one.

I'm thinking the tapered baguette LOGR that BEG and LTP have.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Those are awesome, tourmaline lover. Darker tsavorite is somewhat unphotogenic, as the the dark, rich color almost blackens and drowns everything, but I can imagine that the stone is very lively in person. The spinel is gorgeous. Even with the slightly cool saturation, the light purple is still striking.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2009 5:36:11 PM
Author: Kim Bruun
Those are awesome, tourmaline lover. Darker tsavorite is somewhat unphotogenic, as the the dark, rich color almost blackens and drowns everything, but I can imagine that the stone is very lively in person. The spinel is gorgeous. Even with the slightly cool saturation, the light purple is still striking.
Thanks Kim,
If you love spinels, you should hang out more on PS. Spinels are one of the favorites around here!!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I check in from time to time, tourmaline lover. On my budget, I can pick up one or two nice stones per year, and that''s when my interest peaks. :) Right now, I''m looking into a purple spinel (and I just gave myself a nice little Advent present in the form of a 0.76 rubellite).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2009 3:54:06 AM
I check in from time to time, tourmaline lover. On my budget, I can pick up one or two nice stones per year, and that's when my interest peaks. :) Right now, I'm looking into a purple spinel (and I just gave myself a nice little Advent present in the form of a 0.76 rubellite).
Kim,
That's fun, but you should still check in more often just for the eye candy. Even if I didn't buy anything, I just love the people here, and we love to discuss our interests in gems. Here's some more pics I took yesterday on a gloomy cloudy day with natural light pouring in my house.

TLspineldaylightcollage.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
incandescent light at night time.

Kim,
Keep us posted on the purple spinel, and post pics of your rubellite. Would love to see them!!

TLspinelnight.JPG

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
The color is lovely in both types of light. I own three spinels, and two of them are minor color changers. Like yours, they show a more bluish tone in sunlight. I guess the phenomenon is pretty common with spinel?

And I''d love to show off my red tourmaline with my new spinel when it arrives. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2009 3:32:44 AM
The color is lovely in both types of light. I own three spinels, and two of them are minor color changers. Like yours, they show a more bluish tone in sunlight. I guess the phenomenon is pretty common with spinel?

And I'd love to show off my red tourmaline with my new spinel when it arrives. :)
HI Kim,
Glad to see you're back!!
35.gif
Thank you for the kind words once again.

I would love to see your new spinel and tourmaline when it arrives. I collect lots of tourmaline as well (hence my user name
2.gif
).

I am not a spinel expert, but I do believe that all spinels shift color in different lighting. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. I've never seen a spinel not do this based on my experience, and what I've seen on PS, unless, perhaps it was a colorless spinel.

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a bright pink spinel with a lavender undertone (it should have lavender flashes) and it's Portuguese cut. Lately, I've really gotten into these stones, even though I must admit I was not their biggest fan for a long time. PS, and all the wonderful photographs, have changed my mind!! I strive to look for saturated material, but still have not purchased a Mahenge. One of these days.
face23.gif

Next to sapphires, spinels are a real buy, and they're still untreated, which makes them very desirable to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the LOGR, and now I have to get it set. Here it the violet spinel in incandescent (left) and natural dim diffused light (right).

Stephan custom sized the ring for the stone. The baguettes are very white and VS.

TLvioletspinelLOGR.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the same setting with a variety of spinels and a tsavorite, just to give people an idea of the colors that can go with the setting. The setting is 14K white gold. All pictures taken in dim natural diffused light. 22 points of diamond weight.

TLstonesinLOGR.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting looks really best for the violet spinel. That cool blue/purple goes well with the whiteness of the metal and baguettes.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What great color on both!!!!! The tsav is TDF!!!!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 10:48:29 PM
Author: Chrono
The setting looks really best for the violet spinel. That cool blue/purple goes well with the whiteness of the metal and baguettes.
I completely agree! Hands down, the viiolet spinel looks at home in this setting. I love it!

I'm normally not a fan of baguettes, but this setting is really pretty. It gives me ideas for future projects
11.gif

Great choice, TL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2009 3:32:58 PM
Author: platinumrock

I completely agree! Hands down, the viiolet spinel looks at home in this setting. I love it!

I''m normally not a fan of baguettes, but this setting is really pretty. It gives me ideas for future projects
11.gif

Great choice, TL!
Absolutely...maybe I''ll set a couple better looking learner stones in them as the LOGRs aren''t expensive at all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, thanks ladies for the kind words on the setting and the stone. I am pretty excited about setting this spinel. It has so many different personalities with it''s color shifting, dispersion and I love the cool violet color. I''m glad you all approve.
2.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
My my my, I am away for a bit and look at all the pretty pretties you''ve added to your already fine collection! I am glad you have finally found a spinel or two that have caught your fancy. I love how rich green that Tsav is congrats :)

Date: 12/6/2009 12:10:47 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
After taking more shots under my kitchen hallogens, this fuzzy picture is pretty close to the color of the tsavorite. The pink stone on the right is another spinel. Hey wouldn''t this make for a cool three stone look . . . or not??? LOL!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 9:44:43 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
My my my, I am away for a bit and look at all the pretty pretties you''ve added to your already fine collection! I am glad you have finally found a spinel or two that have caught your fancy. I love how rich green that Tsav is congrats :)

Date: 12/6/2009 12:10:47 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
After taking more shots under my kitchen hallogens, this fuzzy picture is pretty close to the color of the tsavorite. The pink stone on the right is another spinel. Hey wouldn''t this make for a cool three stone look . . . or not??? LOL!!
Thanks SleepySpinel!! I''m glad you got to see my new additions since you''ve been away for a while.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, that baguette setting is lovely with the violet spinel.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Love it with the baguette setting! But I also wanted to point out that the setting looks gorgeous with the 3rd stone over, the lighter pink one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you MTG and Jstar. I am planning on setting all of these stones one of these days. I think after this one, the tsavorite might be next. I would love a halo for that. Back to my predictable self, I know - LOL!!
2.gif

Thanks again to LaurenThePartier and BrownEyedGirl who have such fab rings with this setting. When I saw theirs, I had to get one!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh - those look really beautiful!! Congratulations on two beautiful additions to your collection
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that setting and the stone!

Laura

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you AG, and Laura.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results