shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval 2 carat tsavorite and 1.5 carat violet spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, here are probably my last two gemstone purchases for the year. Enjoy the pics.

I wanted a violet/blue spinel for some time, and I have a few, but they were all too grey for me. This one has more color saturation and a nice medium-light tone. Both are native cuts, but the tsavorite has very nice Portugese cutting on it and no window. It is medium dark in color and has some blue in it, but the blue doesn't come out well in my photos. It is included, but these inclusions are not eye visible.

I have one small tsavorite I bought 16 years ago, but I wanted a larger one for my loose gemstone collection, so I went for one because it was a good price (probably due to the inclusions), and it was over 2 carats.

First up, the spinel.

TLvioletspinelcushionnative.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Outside on a partly cloudy day with the spinel ring that people seem to enjoy.

You can see the new one has a distinctly more bluish cast, it reminds me more of a sapphire than a spinel actually.

TLspinelsoutdoors.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the tsavorite in a box with the spinel. The color is more saturated than this photo.

TLspinelandtsav6.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both in their little gemstone baggies when I got them home from the post office. The tsavorite is much like this color, just a little darker in tone.

TLspessandtsav2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Up close underneath a plastic gem box lid.

TLspinelandtsav8.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same picture as above, but further away. Outside in 20 degree weather, what I don't do for Pricescope!! LOL!!

TLspinelandtsav9.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For Chrono,
A photo on the hand, but the tsavorite isn't this dark IRL, nor grey. Ick, looks horrible here, but you wanted a hand shot!!

TLspinelandtsav10.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the color on that spinel, looks very flattering on you I think!
9.gif

I was actually wondering if you saw the half-n-half effect in your oval tsav? Congrats on finding a good deal!

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Lovely new gems, TL. The color on both of those is terrific!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love the spinel. Especially the last photo of it. I agree with MTG it really compliments your skintone.

I hadn't got you down as a Tsav lover so I was really surprised to read the title of this thread! Does it sparkle? It looks different in all the photos and I know how difficult they are to photograph. Which one is true to life?

What are your plans for both? Rose gold?
31.gif
9.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
You always manage to find pretty stones with great colours. I love these two but I am really drawn to the Tsav.
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 6:01:59 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I really love the color on that spinel, looks very flattering on you I think!
9.gif

I was actually wondering if you saw the half-n-half effect in your oval tsav? Congrats on finding a good deal!
Thanks MTG,
No, it's pretty lively. I don't see much half and half effect, it just comes out so much darker and blah in the photos. It's a really strong green color, and not overly dark.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 6:08:58 PM
Author: tsavvy
Lovely new gems, TL. The color on both of those is terrific!!
Thanks Tsavvy. Can''t wait to see what you are going to do with your tsavorite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 6:11:09 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Oh I love the spinel. Especially the last photo of it. I agree with MTG it really compliments your skintone.

I hadn''t got you down as a Tsav lover so I was really surprised to read the title of this thread! Does it sparkle? It looks different in all the photos and I know how difficult they are to photograph. Which one is true to life?

What are your plans for both? Rose gold?
31.gif
9.gif
LD,
What skintone? I''m a ghost!! LOL!! Thank you for the kind words on the spinel. You should see me IRL, you would wonder if I was alive. Ha!

I am not a tsavorite lover, but the price was too good to pass up, especially for the cut, size and color. I have many garnets, and I wanted a nice size tsavorite in my collection, so here it is. It sparkles a lot. I know it looks cloudy in the pictures, but it isn''t at all. It''s just that it''s really difficult to photograph this stone. Greens are tough. No rose gold for this one.
2.gif
It''s a pretty intense green, so I''m thinking white gold. The most true to life one is the one in the baggie, but it''s still more vivid and a little darker in tone than that, but not as dark as the other photos.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 7:11:37 PM
Author: Lovinggems
You always manage to find pretty stones with great colours. I love these two but I am really drawn to the Tsav.
30.gif
LG,
Awww, thanks, how sweet.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 5:14:19 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Outside on a partly cloudy day with the spinel ring that people seem to enjoy.

You can see the new one has a distinctly more bluish cast, it reminds me more of a sapphire than a spinel actually.
I love the blue in this picture; it reminds me of the cornflower coloured blue sapphire. BTW, I appreciate the handshot. Thanks. The tsav looks quite good, actually. I thought I picked up a very slight hint of blue in a picture or two, but it is predominantly green.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a very badly focused picture of the tsavorite under hallogens at night in my kitchen, but you get more of an idea of the color. It''s more sparkley IRL and not a black extinct stone. I like it in white gold.

TLtsavinlogr.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From further away, but fuzzy, but look at the sparkle.

TLtsavinlogr2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the spinel under hallogens at night as well. I wish you could see the sparkle on this stone. WOW! Ignore my grubby fingerprint on the stone.

TLspinelvioletlogr.JPG

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
the color and the faceting on that spinel. It''s amazing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both under kitchen hallogens. I take such horrible photos, unless my stones are set in rings. Weird. They say tsavorites go more yellow in artificial light, but this one still shows some blue. I do not see any yellow.

TLspinelandtsav11.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are very pretty TL.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just PROBABLY your last two of 2009????

Well, if so, they make a beautiful ending note.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful stones! Tsavorite has a really nice, rich, deep color and I bet spinel is lively and sparkly - too bad we can''t upload videos here (but there''s always youtube...
9.gif
).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love that spinel TL!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy moly, TL - I''m in love with that spinel!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

The Tsavorite is a lovely green, and I know how difficult it is to accurately photograph green! Can''t wait to see them set!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW both look like they have just excellent color under different lighting conditions. Very very nice!! TFS!!

trishy

Shiny_Rock
OHHHHH HELLLLOOO!!! ***swwooooooon*** i love the violet spinel!!! you know me and my violet.. i love yours!!! great taste you have... impeccable. and i love it next to the other spinel you have in that rose gold... sigh... my search continues

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miraclesrule-Thank you!! I really dig the color on the spinel too, been looking for one like this for a long time.

Michelle-Thank you!

Glitterata-Thank you! I hope they are my last purchases, but I have weak will power

Mr. Ma Re - You are so sweet, thank you. The spinel sparkles like nobody's business, it is really lively.

Freke-Thank you, such a nice compliment since you are such a lover of spinels!

LTP-Yeah, greens are tough, but thank you. I probably won't set them for a long time though. Too many other projects right now - alas!

Stone Hunter-Yes, that's what floored me, they look good in so many lighting conditions, and even though the spinel shifts from more blue to purple, it's still pretty. It's tough to find a tsavorite that doesn't go more yellow indoors, so I'm pleased. Thank you.

Trishy-Thank you and I hope you find the violet spinel of your dreams soon!! You are so sweet.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2009 11:11:54 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here is the spinel under hallogens at night as well. I wish you could see the sparkle on this stone. WOW! Ignore my grubby fingerprint on the stone.
Dear Mrs Ghost (!)

Oh just look at this one! W
30.gif
W Love it love it love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results