shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh, woe is me, how long must I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe...soooo, I''ve sort of been avoiding posting here because the knowledge on here is so overwhelming, and there''s really not much anyone can do for me...buuuuut...

My DH did not get a wedding gift for me (we got married on 11/20/09), because he wanted us to pick out something while we were in Italy on our honeymoon...but there was nothing that I loved or felt was worth it (especially given the exchange rate!)...so after discussion, we decided that he is going to buy an aquamarine (his birthstone, and one of my FAVorite colored stones) and have it set in a ring for me (with me doing the legwork, of course, as I''m awfully picky).

Obviously, this is not a rush, since we''ve already been married a couple of months...and I don''t want to spend too much. But the problem is two-fold:

1. We really don''t want to spend more than around $750 for the stone AND the setting (that''s even stretchin it--he''s not into the whole "expensive jewelry" concept...yet...haha)

2. I long ago fell head over heels in love with Ellen''s AMAZING aqua (which is actually what inspired me to want an aqua ring in the first place), and I can''t find a stone cut like that or a setting that''s even in the realm of financial possibility for me...

I have asked a couple of jewelers to take a look for me, and I have been browsing gemstones online (Gene, Barry, Richard, Gary, Jeff, all the usual suspects are on my bookmarks that I check daily!)

I am willing to settle for finding the stone now and setting it for another occasion (haha, maybe our 5-year anniversary, at this rate!), but it''s not even a question of how expensive the stone is at this point--it''s more that I don''t see any stones that have similar faceting as Ellen''s incredible stone! The only one that I''ve seen in the past 2 months that even comes close is FAR too large and expensive Big Blue!

How long must I wait to find something amazing?? How long have y''all held out for when there has been something very specific you wanted? Teach me your patient, patient ways! (And teach me how to convince my husband that he should still want to spend the money however long down the road I do find what I''m looking for!)

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking for an untreated stone, and would prefer a squarish step cut--like Ellen''s: my favorite

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I notice a strong bias against sterling silver here (as in, most people don''t seem to consider it), but it''s actually quite a viable jewelry metal. When expertly polished, it has every bit of the shine of white gold, and while it does tarnish, the tarnish is easy to keep removed with gentle washing with a nice silver jewelry cleaner.

What I''m leading up to is a suggestion to get the stone you love, and set it in sterling. You''ll save some precious hundreds that can go towards the stone, and if you want to have it set in a different metal down the line, you can.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Julia Kay Taylor does some incredibly lovely work in argentium silver. Her work is impeccible and her prices are very good! Have you seen the S colored diamond she set? I say have the stone cut for you, then commission a silver setting, or mount it temporarily until you can afford your dream setting.

I highly commend not only your choices and taste, but the wisdom in waiting until you can find exactly what you want!! Marriage is a lifetime, and celebrating its start should be well considered. Life is long..... ten years from now you won''t regret the slight wait for the perfect recognition of your union!!!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Jeff!!

As for Jessi and Uppy''s suggestions to use silver--to be honest, you''re right, I hadn''t thought of that...and Julia Kay Taylor''s work is truly magnificent! I would definitely be into that!

Now, Uppy, I know that many PSers (Ellen included!) had someone cut their stones for them...but I am such a novice that I wouldn''t even know how to find a stone in the first place to have a talented cutter do that for me...do you (or does anyone else?) have any idea how to help steer a beginner like me in the right direction?

(and thanks for the commendation, Uppy! for someone who has wonderful taste herself, I appreciate your comments
1.gif
)

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I like your idea and totally understand what you''re going through. I''d want to second Upgradeable on working with Julia. She is a dream to work with and Argentium Silver is inexpensive, comparatively, and doesn''t tarnish.

As for the stone, I think waiting is wise, too. But I take it you''ve seen Barry''s new aqua, then?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Big ditto to the sterling! It will help a LOT budget-wise.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
thank you, Novel! I have--and it is lovely, but I was hoping for more of a step cut...Barry's new stone looks a bit brilliant...or am I off-base?

And thanks for commenting, MP! I can't believe I didn't think of silver before!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
No, I kind of agree with you, I didn''t know what to make of it. Is there such thing as something in between, or is that just what a brilliant cut square aqua would look like?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For stones, you should also look at litnon.com there''s 3 that I know of on Michaels website that would work within your budget, up to you on the color though. If you''re set on a particular faceting job, then its best to go custom for sure.

-A

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn''t look like it has as many facets as many other princess-cuts I''ve seen, but I am, again, quite a beginner!

btw, I love Julia Kay Taylor''s work--but it looks like she mostly does bezels, and as much as I would love a bezel SOMEthing someday, I have my heart set on a basket-set stone for this project...what are the experts'' feelings on that?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for that site, Arcadian!!! That one afghan stone is really beautiful...but it''s a little too skinnily rectangular for what I''m looking for (I told you I''m picky
7.gif
)--but that is a great resource, and I will add it to my list!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like people here often have luck with asking a cutter to cut a specific gem stone to their liking? Perhaps that is the route you should take? Richard Homer cut Ellen''s so maybe ask him?

As for the husband, well he already said yes so maybe the thing to do is find it and tell him ''oh I finally found my stone isn''t that exciting, so I''ll just charge it on your Amex/Visa/MC.'' Or you can do what I do, buy it then ask for a check, lol. And as for budget maybe it can be a wedding/first anniv. present?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree to ask JKT (and especially to think about the Argentinium silver) however, just a word of caution, a friend of mine has just asked her for a quote and it's come back being VERY expensive for a relatively small and simple design (in fact one of JKT's own).

Another option is Sally from Heart of Water, also on Etsy. I'm not sure if she works in Silver but possibly. Last year I commissioned two pieces and she was very reasonably priced.

John at GemRite has some nice Aqua, see here: http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=30 I bought mine from him and it's a lovely blue with silver and a touch of green (unheated). The first one is the nicest in terms of clarity. If none of those take your fancy, ask him if he has some rough.

Or this one from Barry http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=3013

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, WN and LD!! I also really do like Sally's designs, so once I find the stone, I will check out what I might be able to do setting-wise.

Can anyone give me advice on contacting a cutter--like, do I already need to have the stone itself, or can they find one for me? How much more expensive is getting a stone cut that way? Any advice would be very welcome!

ETA: yes, I did see both of those lovely stones--but they are both rather brilliant and I am looking for more of a step cut...thank you so much for thinking of me though!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 4:32:16 PM
Author: alli_esq
I am looking for an untreated stone, and would prefer a squarish step cut--like Ellen''s: my favorite
I''m a real novice when it comes to Aquamarine and colored stones in general but I am curious as I see a lot of people wanting untreated pure blue aqua stones.

If you want a stone which is pure blue with very few secondary colors (like little or no hint of green) what is the difference between a treated and untreated aquamarine in terms of appearance in the pure blue range?
I always thought the medium blue aquamarine is already quite rare and getting expensive and then to add on top of it untreated rough makes it really expensive.

Could someone let me know what the difference would be in appearance difference between treated and untreated?
Am i also correct in assuming like other stones like topaz, that the pure blue Beryl may have been naturally heated in the ground as compared to the treated stuff which is heated afterwards?

Sorry for the slight threadjack but I thought these might be interesting questions considering Alli_ESQ is budget conscious and trying for what looks like medium blue aqua like in Ellen''s ring.

CCl

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that seems like a lot gem for the price, Maisie! Esp as compared to his others...

Alli, would you consider emailing Gary, who seems to be one of the step cut gem kings?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
looks lile you''re looking for a medium blue.

email gary at finewater gems, gene at precisiongems, dan at customgemstones and jeff at whitesgems and ask them if they have any suitable rough. They''ll need to know the mm size you want and budget. they''re all very nice, and i''m sure will answer all your questions, though they may take a while to reply if they are in Tucson
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am currently in possession of an unheated asscher aqua cut by Gene at Precision Gems. Because it's unheated, it has a slight green hint to it and it displays fine gas tubing that you can't really see with the naked eye, but does show up in pictures. Would you like me to post a couple of pictures of it later? It's just under 4cts and quite beautiful I think...

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, I would love that, if you wouldn't mind!

And great questions, rosetta...I don't really have an excellent reason for not wanting a treated stone other than the fact that I like the *idea* of a "natural" stone...

ETA: I will contact each of those cutters this week...thanks for the suggestions!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, let me post an icky picture of it now (we have snow/rain today, so the lighting outside is terrible anyway!)...these were taken with my blackberry at night, which is less than favorable lighting and camera-ing.

Left stone: frosted snowflake cut by Gene, Center stone: asscher by Barry, right stone: asscher by Gene. Not a great pic of any of them, but you get the idea.

Aqua pic6 freke 2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another...still not good. The dark reflection in Barry's is my camera btw.

Aqua pic4 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one. Vendor pics side by side of the two stones. The Barry now has a new home, and the Gene...well, that one may be up for grabs soon too...
39.gif

Aqua comparison Gene and Barry freke.jpg

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, those are all so lovely--you have a wonderful collection (even if some of it is just temporary, hehe!)

I think the more I''m looking, the less picky I find myself about color and the more picky I find myself on the shape of the stone. I think I want a square emerald step cut, but not like an asscher...does that make sense? I don''t even know enough about this to be able to speak well on the subject, I just know what appeals to my eye
28.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...not sure I follow on the square emerald not being an asscher, seeing as how I believe it''s the same thing? What about Dan Stair? If you poke around in Brown.Eyed.Girl''s posts, she recently got an aqua from Dan Stair that is two steps away from being white...he seems to cut a different kind of step cut that isn''t exactly an asscher--in that the windmills don''t quite reach the culet. Maybe something to look into?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Chunky-

The vast majority of aqua has a decidedly green tint when it comes out of the ground. Heat treating gets rid of the green and (in most cases) intensifies the blue in the stone. In fact, that is one of the best ways to determine if an aqua is unheated: look for the green. (NOTE: In my parcel of Nigerian aqua, there is one stone that is definitely green even after heating so this is not a 100% tell)

Material that comes out of the ground that is already pure blue is quite rare and therefore commands more of the other green (the paper kind).

In general, this is true of most stones including diamonds (though I know next to nothing about diamonds). Completely natural stones that display desirable characteristics (color, clarity) will almost always command higher prices than treated stones.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, I always thought it was the same too...but all the asschers I see have like octogonal steps, and the square emeralds I see mostly have like either square or rectangular steps...does that make any sense at all?? (I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't)...

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I think this photo of Ellen''s lovely sort of shows what I mean about the square-shaped step cuts...no?

ellenAqua7307bbb.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you''re looking for more of a square step cut with clipped corners. And that will probably have to be custom cut, I''m afraid.
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results