shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh, woe is me, how long must I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh, well that explains it, doesn''t it??? HAhah, thanks, Freke!

Does anyone have any idea how much more expensive it might be to have a custom cut? I imagine that it''s very expensive...I probably wouldn''t want to spend more than $500ish on the stone...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
As Freke said ... the type of stone you''re looking for is a needle-in-the-haystack kind of rare. Something similar is a "carre cut" - which has corners like a princess -- but is step cut, baguette style, without prominent "windmills". Mostly seen in antiques or very small sizes, used in channel set bands.

carrecut22.jpg

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jeff S, I''m still figuring out how things work around here, but the mods told me (while I was making huge mistakes) that if you are in the trade it is encouraged to put a simple link to your site in your signature.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 6:38:04 PM
Author: Revolution
Chunky-

The vast majority of aqua has a decidedly green tint when it comes out of the ground. Heat treating gets rid of the green and (in most cases) intensifies the blue in the stone. In fact, that is one of the best ways to determine if an aqua is unheated: look for the green. (NOTE: In my parcel of Nigerian aqua, there is one stone that is definitely green even after heating so this is not a 100% tell)

Material that comes out of the ground that is already pure blue is quite rare and therefore commands more of the other green (the paper kind).

In general, this is true of most stones including diamonds (though I know next to nothing about diamonds). Completely natural stones that display desirable characteristics (color, clarity) will almost always command higher prices than treated stones.
So other than the green or lack thereof you couldn''t tell the difference?
I heard that natural blue topaz commands a premium but some authorities have said its just like the brown stuff except it was heated below ground instead of above ground.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Heating can be detected with lab tools but just looking at it, the green is the giveaway.

On the topaz thing, you are right to a certain degree. Natural blue topaz has been exposed to natural radiation which turns it blue. Though there are some strongly colored stones from time to time, most natural blue topaz is very pale. It also tends to be grayish.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 4:34:15 PM
Author: DistinctionJewelry
I notice a strong bias against sterling silver here (as in, most people don''t seem to consider it), but it''s actually quite a viable jewelry metal. When expertly polished, it has every bit of the shine of white gold, and while it does tarnish, the tarnish is easy to keep removed with gentle washing with a nice silver jewelry cleaner.

What I''m leading up to is a suggestion to get the stone you love, and set it in sterling. You''ll save some precious hundreds that can go towards the stone, and if you want to have it set in a different metal down the line, you can.

I''m very unclear where you could perceive a "strong bias" against sterling.
Many of us use Etsy jewellers to set our gems, and a vast majority of those work in sterling only.
Actually, I''d say this part of the forum is very pro-silver.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hope I didn''t offend, certainly didn''t mean to. I''ve just been lurking for a while, and it seems rare for anyone to discuss anything but gold settings. Not unheard of, it just seems like it''s unusual. Most of the rings I see shown off (aside from a few etsy ones) are gold? Perhaps I haven''t been lurking enough :D

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Gene (PrecisionGem) just posted that he picked up some nice blue aqua at Tucson. You should contact him and see if any of it will work for you.

FWIW, I love carre cuts too
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 11:52:35 PM
I hope I didn''t offend, certainly didn''t mean to. I''ve just been lurking for a while, and it seems rare for anyone to discuss anything but gold settings. Not unheard of, it just seems like it''s unusual. Most of the rings I see shown off (aside from a few etsy ones) are gold? Perhaps I haven''t been lurking enough :D

hi distinction - no not offended at all; I just found the observation to be in-congruent with what actually occurs here, so thought I would point that out
1.gif

If you search for Julia Kay Taylor (or JKT) you will find many many of us own at least one of her pieces, and she works primarily in sterling.

I think your observation stands true for when people are setting higher value/more important stones from their collection - quite naturally, gold or plat is than the more sensible choice; plus the custom vendors outside of places like etsy do not work in sterling.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it will cost you extra to have one cut for you from rough the cutter has. After all he/she can sell it to someone else if it doesn't suit you!

Many PSers have posted about asking cutters to look around for specific rough from them.

Also try Bespoke Gems... ETA: Nothing there right now but he could cut you something. With PS cutters you have alot of talent to choose from.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/4/2010 7:04:40 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 2/3/2010 11:52:35 PM

hi distinction - no not offended at all; I just found the observation to be in-congruent with what actually occurs here, so thought I would point that out
1.gif

If you search for Julia Kay Taylor (or JKT) you will find many many of us own at least one of her pieces, and she works primarily in sterling.

I think your observation stands true for when people are setting higher value/more important stones from their collection - quite naturally, gold or plat is than the more sensible choice; plus the custom vendors outside of places like etsy do not work in sterling.

*phew* Glad I didn''t offend - and thanks for correcting my misconception. :)

I agree that anything with a really high value is going to warrant setting in gold, and then there are the stones that look so beautiful with yellow gold - heck, nobody get me wrong, I love gold! The OP''s situation seems tailor-made for sterling, though. The $2-400.00 she''d otherwise spend on a gold setting could make all the difference in her being able to afford the right beautiful custom-cut aqua versus something bland.

BTW, OP....you must show us pictures if you get something cut for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results