shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh! And need another advice...Tsavorite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of the photographs. I think it does have a window. I could read through it.

tsavo345.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 4:44:20 PM
Author: crasru
This is one of the photographs. I think it does have a window. I could read through it.
I''m glad you passed on this stone Crasu. It''s certainly not the nicest looking tsavorite I have ever seen.

There is one out there with your name on it!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
He tried to sell you that?

naw....naw
38.gif
...thats just terrible.

Thats not a tiny window, that thing looks hyooge!
32.gif

-A

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
So, I was out with the dog on a long walk this afternoon and I got to thinking about the whole yellow thing in tsavorite and spessartite.

I can''t help thinking that green and orange are both colours that are made from colour combinations of two primary colours one of which in each case being yellow.

Is it not reasonable therefore, to expect to see a degree of yellow in both orange and green stones? When people talk about pure orange and pure green, there really is no such thing in nature as neither of them are primary colours.

Please don''t tar and feather me or shoot me at dawn. I have next to no technical expertise in the world of coloured gemstones, this is purely a layman''s opinion on the composition of colour.
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 10:29:14 PM
Author: Arcadian

23.gif
He tried to sell you that?

naw....naw
38.gif
...thats just terrible.

Thats not a tiny window, that thing looks hyooge!
32.gif

Yeah...I am glad that I have been reading all your posts. It is very bright so if I came to his store before September (that is when I stumbled across the PS) I might have bought it.

-A

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Crasru,
I''m so glad you passed on that stone.

And he wanted $3200 for it ???
6.gif
6.gif
29.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
G,
That makes perfect sense to me. In the case of Tsavorite, some will display yellow, some blue, and some will be pure green. This range is even more pronounced in the case of spessartites.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 12:51:54 AM
Author: MAC-W

Oh Crasru,

I''m so glad you passed on that stone.

And he wanted $3200 for it ???
6.gif
6.gif
29.gif

What scares me is not what he wanted for that stone. I passed on it the moment I saw it. What scares me is that I might have bought it had I not been on PS. Here I am, becoming so picky, learning to appreciate color, cut...what not. But if you look into most books, it is all color, color, color. And unless you are in the field, what do you know about color? I am very thankful to all of you who posted photographs of wonderful tsavorites so I at least got an idea.

But it was very bright. Which prompts me to ask, is yellowish tinge in tsavorites somehow associated with brightness, like in demantoids?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for posting my reply inside of quotation. It has been a long and anxiety-laden day.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 10:31:05 PM
Author: Gailey
So, I was out with the dog on a long walk this afternoon and I got to thinking about the whole yellow thing in tsavorite and spessartite.

I can''t help thinking that green and orange are both colours that are made from colour combinations of two primary colours one of which in each case being yellow.

Is it not reasonable therefore, to expect to see a degree of yellow in both orange and green stones? When people talk about pure orange and pure green, there really is no such thing in nature as neither of them are primary colours.

Please don''t tar and feather me or shoot me at dawn. I have next to no technical expertise in the world of coloured gemstones, this is purely a layman''s opinion on the composition of colour.
1.gif

Gailey, the answer is yes and no. I''m no expert either, but I do work with a lot of color and have to be spot on when I''m called to be. (especially true when working with certain companies). So for me, I use the things I''m used to having around (Pantone Colors).

Fanta orange to me has a visible yellow component but thats based on my field of expertise. But in the gem world, thats what some consider to be the perfect orange. *shrugs*

Add also to the fact that certain gemstones properties and you could have a fields day!

More often than not, color and its interpretation is mostly subject to what our eyes can see, and what we''re told is ideal. There''s always going to be discussion and disagreement about that.

I''m probably a bit on the more tolerant in some colors. So I buy what makes me have a warm fuzzy and leave it at that.
9.gif

But thats just MY personal opinion though, (and you know what they say about opinions and @$$holes...
2.gif
)

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Not an attractive tsavorite if the colour is accurate and that window is not small.

Gailey,
This is my interpretation of how the orange and green colours work.
Green = yellow + blue
Orange = yellow + red
Here’s the tricky part. If the stone has a pure hue (equal parts of both colours and the colouring is even), then no, you are not going yellow in either a spessartite or a tsavorite. It is when the stone has more yellow than blue/red that you will see hints of yellow of varying degrees in a spessartite and tsavorite. If the stone has more blue/red than yellow, you will see hints of blue/red of varying degrees in the said stones as well under certain lighting.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 9:15:22 AM
Author: Chrono

Gailey,
Green = yellow + blue
Orange = yellow + red
Here’s the tricky part. If the stone has a pure hue (equal parts of both colours and the colouring is even), then no, you are not going yellow in either a spessartite or a tsavorite. It is when the stone has more yellow than blue/red that you will see hints of yellow of varying degrees in a spessartite and tsavorite. If the stone has more blue/red than yellow, you will see hints of blue/red of varying degrees in the said stones as well under certain lighting.

Hi Chrono,

My understanding is that yellow is a ''dominant'' modifier (similar to gray / brown but not as common), therefore a green / orange stone which has blue / red as the main modifier respectively is rarer and is therefore more "desirable"

I may have this totally wrong and please feel free to correct me if I have.....

Mac

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 9:38:56 AM
Hi Chrono,

My understanding is that yellow is a ''dominant'' modifier (similar to gray / brown but not as common), therefore a green / orange stone which has blue / red as the main modifier respectively is rarer and is therefore more ''desirable''

Mac
MAC,
I have heard the same as you as well.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 1:05:57 AM
Author: Arcadian

Gailey, the answer is yes and no. I''m no expert either, but I do work with a lot of color and have to be spot on when I''m called to be. (especially true when working with certain companies). So for me, I use the things I''m used to having around (Pantone Colors).

Fanta orange to me has a visible yellow component but thats based on my field of expertise. But in the gem world, thats what some consider to be the perfect orange. *shrugs*

Add also to the fact that certain gemstones properties and you could have a fields day!

More often than not, color and its interpretation is mostly subject to what our eyes can see, and what we''re told is ideal. There''s always going to be discussion and disagreement about that.

I''m probably a bit on the more tolerant in some colors. So I buy what makes me have a warm fuzzy and leave it at that.
9.gif

But thats just MY personal opinion though, (and you know what they say about opinions and @$$holes...
2.gif
)

-A
Hey, me too in a former life. My pantone books (and Toyo to a lesser extent) were never very far from me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 9:38:56 AM

Date: 1/29/2010 9:15:22 AM
Author: Chrono

Gailey,
Green = yellow + blue
Orange = yellow + red

Hi Chrono,

My understanding is that yellow is a ''dominant'' modifier (similar to gray / brown but not as common), therefore a green / orange stone which has blue / red as the main modifier respectively is rarer and is therefore more ''desirable''

Mac
I would hope this is the case.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes! That window is huge! I''m glad you passed, especially at that price!

I think my favorite oval and cushion cuts come from Barry. My tsav is an oval cut by him. There''s something about the way he cuts that I think brings such kaleidoscope flashes to stones!
500x375.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results