shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh! And need another advice...Tsavorite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:31:24 PM
Author: Arcadian
Really? Mines a medium colored stone, def. not dark anywhere (unless I put my big head over it) It tends to go toward the bluer coloration in the incandescent an fluoro indoor light, as does LD's does the same apparently....

I wonder what causes that to happen?
33.gif

-A
I have no idea as mine behaves much like yours; it has a tendency to get bluer under incandescent and fluorescent lighting. That said, your tsav, LD's and mine are all from the same vendor although I'm sure mine is from a different parcel and mine. I also looked at 3 other tsavorites from a different vendor and those stayed exactly the same colour indoors and outdoors.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. Maybe you can send all your tsavorites to me and I can try to figure it out
3.gif

It was worth a try.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 9:19:11 PM
Author: Harriet
Chrono,
I don't doubt your word. I'm really puzzled as none of the stones I've handled have ever done this.
Harriet,
Were you looking at stones from all the same source and mine?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
I've handled both Tanzanian and Kenyan material. Here's my suspicion. There isn't a colour shift in the technical sense of the term. The yellow secondary is always present in the stones at issue. Certain lighting just accentuates it. In checking for yellow, one trick I've learnt is to put the stone face down on a piece of white paper and under an OTT light.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say I was very surprised by Gene''s post that the Tsavs he''s seen become more yellow in incandescent lighting. That''s the exact opposite to what I''ve observed all mine to do. Like Arcadian and Chrono, in incandescent lighting there is a definite switch to more bluer tones. It doesn''t colour shift per se but the overal tonality does become much bluer.

I have Tsavs from different mines and different vendors and they all behave in this way. This may well boil down to individual''s perceptions and possibly slightly different chemical composition.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,
I think this characteristic of showing a stronger yellow or blue component under different lighting is much like most spinels or pink tourmalines doing a “shift” of sorts under indoor lighting that is different from what a person might see in a true colour shifter. Some red spinels will look brownish or garnet-like indoors while looking super red outdoors but not all. Some blue spinels will show a stronger violet component indoors but not all. The same with pink tourmaline looking great outdoors but appearing muddy indoors. This is the reason why many consumers are advised to check out all gemstones in various lighting. Not everyone is going to have OTT lights in their homes, offices, work locations and restaurants and I’m sure we all want our stones to look their best or at least attractive to ourselves under sunlight, any type of fluorescent lighting and incandescent lighting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture below shows the trade preferred medium dark tone as I see it on my monitor. The hue is very pure without much extinction (facet shadowing shown is normal). I believe both tsavorites to be extremely large and possibly the smaller of the two to exceed 5 carats. This picture is easily found in the internet world and accompanies several published and well known articles. If anyone knows more about both tsavorites, please chime in and correct my information as needed.

vp061007A.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting...
I did not buy the tsavorite yesterday for one reason - it had a huge window. The color around the window was very nice, but it did show a mild tendency to shift towards yellow indoors. Maybe it is not the best color, although I liked it. It was more grass-green. My small tsavorites (they dangle from hoop earrings, so I can see through them) are much darker and bluer so they do not seem to show any color shift. It seems that color-wise I should look for something in between these two. Good that you taught me about the window, though, because the stone was very bright and I would have definitely bought it before I stumbled across this forum! Thanks for lteaching me.
It showed no extinction at all but I wonder if it is the result of a cut with an elongated, narrow window and a lighter stone. With more facets, perhaps, there would be some. Now I definitely prefer cushion or round cut. I shall process the photos e-mailed to me and post them here.
On a positive note, I bought that gold Ethiopian cross.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The search for a fine quality tsavorite in a round will be a challenge, especially in larger sizes (over 1 ct). Cushions will be easier to find due to the nature of the rough material.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off to cushions, then! I just can not bring myself to buying anything with a window anymore.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
That makes sense. Thank you for explaining it in plain English rather than using oft-misunderstood technical terms. As an aside, if anyone is serious about collecting, an OTT light is inexpensive and reveals a lot.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 12:48:05 PM
Author: crasru
Off to cushions, then! I just can not bring myself to buying anything with a window anymore.
I think Chrono meant it is more difficult to find tsavorites in a round shape. A cushion cut stone could still have a window.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 3:40:50 PM
Author: Cind11

Date: 1/27/2010 12:48:05 PM
I think Chrono meant it is more difficult to find tsavorites in a round shape. A cushion cut stone could still have a window.
Correct; even a round stone can have a window too.
6.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 2:49:25 PM
Chrono,
That makes sense. Thank you for explaining it in plain English rather than using oft-misunderstood technical terms. As an aside, if anyone is serious about collecting, an OTT light is inexpensive and reveals a lot.
Harriet,
No problem; I suspected it''s just how each person inteprets and uses the technical term.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t find a round in a colour I like above 6mm in diameter.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 5:06:27 PM
I like the one Jeff White still has on his website. It''s 7.1mm.
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is nice. Thanks for pointing it out.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 5:41:01 PM
Author: Cind11
Date: 1/27/2010 5:06:27 PM

I like the one Jeff White still has on his website. It''s 7.1mm.
36.gif

Nice, because I can switch over to his website and see how "nice" looks in photographs. It is still difficult for me to read photographs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru - don''t discount gemstones with windows all together. Some of the best colour gemstones I have are poorly cut. Occasionally, sacrificing on cut will get you something exceptional. I''m not talking about gemstones with patio doors instead of windows but a sensible small window that the average person would never see! Look for the best "package" you can find in a gemstone i.e. colour, clarity, cut, size etc etc otherwise you will limit yourself unnecessarily.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No... but this one has a window. I wish I could post them but the guy sent me the pictures in an email without an attachment. I have no clue how to "extract" them and get rid of the text. I shall try to forward it to myself and see what comes out of it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crasru,
I second LD. If the colour grabs you, and the cut meets your threshold, take a look at it.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono,

I don''t doubt your word. I''m really puzzled as none of the stones I''ve handled have ever done this.

I have never seen ANY stone who''s color looked identical under florescent and incandescent light, not just tsavorite, but any colored stone.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 8:07:03 PM
No... but this one has a window. I wish I could post them but the guy sent me the pictures in an email without an attachment. I have no clue how to ''extract'' them and get rid of the text. I shall try to forward it to myself and see what comes out of it.
Crasu,

Move your mouse over the image. Right click and choose the option that says, "save as". Pick a file name that only has letters in it. Make sure the file extension is .jpg and voila!

Then you will be able to post the image.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 8:12:36 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

Chrono,

I don''t doubt your word. I''m really puzzled as none of the stones I''ve handled have ever done this.

I have never seen ANY stone who''s color looked identical under florescent and incandescent light, not just tsavorite, but any colored stone.
You''re correct, but I think the color shift is much more obvious on some gems than others.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe these old eyes are giving up.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 8:55:00 PM
Maybe these old eyes are giving up.

I think it''s just you
11.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy, Gailey, I tried...messed up my whole I-net! Maybe a virus or something. Just trust me - it is badly windowed. I shall try to print it out, make a photograph and download it - it will be black and white but the window is seen very well. It doesn''t speak to my eyes and heart. The cross does, though, so the day was not lost.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw the tsavorite in Jeff White''s website. If his photographs are true to life, the color is amazing. I like this stone!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 12:23:16 PM
Author: Chrono
The picture below shows the trade preferred medium dark tone as I see it on my monitor. The hue is very pure without much extinction (facet shadowing shown is normal). I believe both tsavorites to be extremely large and possibly the smaller of the two to exceed 5 carats. This picture is easily found in the internet world and accompanies several published and well known articles. If anyone knows more about both tsavorites, please chime in and correct my information as needed.

You know, if I were a horse, I''d graze them. Such wonderful colors.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally found a way to download an attachment on another computer. I am going to post pic. in the evening because the one at my work is moody but is newer and it is easier to edit photos on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results