shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah not a good situation as we do have some elderly people who live here. We have well over a hundred and fifty people I think (guessing) in my building and many of them are older. Last time this happened we had emergency plumbers come out and they were able to fix things. I think that was over a year ago and to my knowledge (fuzzy at best these days) we have a new boiler but perhaps I am wrong on that fact. Anyway, Greg is VP of the board and is on the phone right now with the president of the board and let's hope they can figure something out. The super is not in New York because his daughter is out of state so no he cannot come back for this but fingers crossed it will be fixed in a timely fashion. :pray:

Update: The super from the building next door is coming over to check on what the problem might be and Greg is going down there too. Sigh. Just another quiet evening at home with my dh. Dinner can wait.

Re the dentist, I will Kristie. I am calling him tomorrow (he is off on Wednesdays as I found out today) and seeing if he can provide any helpful input. I don't want to ignore my teeth but am not in a huge rush to have the cleaning. I just don't want to be in a situation where I have no choice i.e. broken filling etc and up the proverbial creek if you kwim.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kristie, no worries whatsoever! I didn't take your comment as negative or snarky at all - I think what you said is true lol! I don't know, I think some of it is that my mother just never wanted to face the reality of growing older and needing extra care, kind of an ignorance is bliss sort of thing, yanno? Thankfully she has a will and instructions on what to do if she's on life support etc. To be honest, my siblings and I really never gave it much thought either, which I regret now. And yes, I think she figured her kids would just take over and handle everything. Honestly, her financial situation is such that she was probably never in a position to plan much of anything anyway. I'm going to be very honest and admit that I'm a little resentful sometimes that she didn't at least contemplate what she would do in her later years if she became ill or infirm. But as I've said, I guess her options were always limited anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a rough time with your parents and I can understand the choice you made. It's great that they are in a good facility and you can be assured they are well taken care of. My SIL is very grateful that her mother went ahead and made her own arrangements to go into a CCRC, it just makes a rough time a bit easier.

Missy, I cannot believe you have no heat or hot water, that is crazy! I hope it's rectified soon, it really is always something! And I hope you get the antibiotic straightened out, I agree that what you were told isn't adding up. Did I mention it's always something? :sick:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1421271813|3816415 said:
Missy, think of yourself as a teenager with MONEY and the cutest boyfriend ever!

Kristie, As you can imagine, this comment had me LOL!!!!

I seriously doubt Junebug thought you were being snarky. We all know your heart is always in a good place. You have helped all of us too many times to count. To know you, is to love you Kristie!

My baby is much better today! She got up and wanted breakfast. She has been a little firecracker most of the day. Running all over and playing with her toys.

Our financial planner has calculated everything on us both living to 92. I have no idea how they came up with that number.

Junebug, Your home in South Carolina sounds like what we are looking for. I was on Zillow one afternoon and found a home I fell in love with. The price was perfect. It was on a golf course and membership to the golf course was included in the home price. The house came fully furnished and the pictures looked beautiful. My husband told me to make some calls and find out all I could. Well it was a no go. It was located on an island and my husband said he didn't want to have to wait for the ferry to arrive while he was having a heart attack. We need to take some trips to figure out where we want to retire. It's also difficult because my parents are here and I know I will be the one to take care of them as they get older. I know my brothers won't be much help. My husband keeps saying we are not staying here in the cold. He is thinking exactly like your husband. He wants to golf year round.

Missy, You are absolutely doing the right thing by checking with your dentist. It's always better to error on the side of caution. I had to laugh when you said you can't make this stuff up. I remember everybody saying that to me when I had my terrible year. My mom had read a book review. Everything the book was about, I had been thru that year. The critic said it wasn't a good book because the story was too far fetched! You are correct you couldn't possibly make this stuff up. The truth is always stranger than fiction. I'm just happy Greg is home with you now. Is some working on the heat and water problems?

What do you want to do with your hair? Do you have a style in mind? Do you want to cut it short?

OV, Is your Sapphie doing well now? Did she suddenly become ill. I have no idea what you are going thru but I hope everything is okay and you are doing well.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie and Junebug, have your DhS golfed in Arizona? It's a super popular retirement location. Low to 0 property taxes. Lots of high quality medical. Every option for living conditions from 55+ communities to small group homes to CCRCs. Before my parents moved to Sagewood, they lived in Green Valley, AZ in a 55+ golf course community on the actual course with the broken Windows to prove it, ha.

The Phoenix and Scottsdale areas have world class shopping, pretty good dining but not great. If a facelift is in your future, its a plastic surgery capital of North America.

A big bonus is its about a 6-7 hour drive to San Diego.

Downside: the summers will kill ya.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re teenager with money, the counselor I saw for help with my parents, she said their CCRC was like high school but with uber wealthy mean girls, bwahaha!

The New York Times had a hilarious article about where all the mean girls go and what they wind up doing, how they channel their bullying natures.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kristie, At my age I want my whole body lifted haha! I loved the Scottsdale area for the reasons you mentioned. The problem is I love to garden and I love to look outside and see lots of green. You don't find many lush lawns in Scottsdale. I was in Scottsdale about 4 years ago for business. One of my friends was ready to go home and put her house up for sale. She told me to get over the gardening and think about of the great shopping Scottdale has.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want an upper and lower bleph and really, I'd like my chin/neck tightened up but I'm SCARED, dangit! After working for Mayo Clinic for 9 years I know that our 'medical professionals' are something to be afraid of, the great majority of them. I have a lead on a good oculoplastic surgeon and I plan to get Missy's input before I go under the knife for a bleph :twirl:

There are amazing gardens here, roses seem to thrive. You would be amazed at the gorgeous succulents here, truly splendid. All the hummingbird attracting plants and flowers, lovely fountains and water features, Callie you would have a beautiful garden in Scottsdale or North Phoenix! The next time you're here, and I hope you do come, we'll go to the Desert Botannical Gardens to show you! We also have Butterfly World, right across the 101 freeway from the brand new spring training complex for those baseball nuts.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, you've given me an idea…the wheels are turning…how about 2 small places in different locations? Dh could have his beach in SC in the warm weather, and play golf in Arizona in the winter! Best of both worlds! Until it's time for the both of us to go into the old folk's home that is :D

Callie, the house you described sounds like ours ha! I see your dh's point though, when you reach a certain age you have to think of these things I guess. It's a concern for us too, dh and I might have to get life alerts lol! This is a crazy time of life, isn't it? Trying to plan for our later years and worrying about our aging parents at the same time!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, One of my girlfriends had her eyelids done a few years ago. They looked beautiful. My problem is I'm starting to see jowls. My mom has them so I knew it was only a matter of time. I'm sure eventually I will have something done. I use Botox and have used fillers in my nasal fold area. I just wish I had more fat in my face. And now that you mention it I'm also not happy with my neck. I have a skin condition on my neck so I will never be happy with it. Menopause beat the heck out of me Kristie.

It too funny you mentioned baseball, We had to spend a day watching baseball while we were there. It was a work function.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1421283576|3816500 said:
Kristie, you've given me an idea…the wheels are turning…how about 2 small places in different locations? Dh could have his beach in SC in the warm weather, and play golf in Arizona in the winter! Best of both worlds! Until it's time for the both of us to go into the old folk's home that is :D

Callie, the house you described sounds like ours ha! I see your dh's point though, when you reach a certain age you have to think of these things I guess. It's a concern for us too, dh and I might have to get life alerts lol! This is a crazy time of life, isn't it? Trying to plan for our later years and worrying about our aging parents at the same time!

Junebug, I can't remember the name of the island but I think the zip code was 29915 or 29916. It was near Hilton Head. I don't think you could have a car or garage. The house came with a garage for the golf carts and two golf carts. The property was really pretty and the house was adorable. if you could drive on and off the island I know we would have probably flown down to see it. It sold pretty quickly or they took it off the market. I check twice a week hoping it will come back on the market. I think once we find where we want to be, my parents may follow. My husbands parents both died in their early to mid seventy's. That changed my husbands whole perspective on retirement. I'm sure he will retire at 59 or 60. My husband father took early retirement at 61 and was diagnosed with early Alzheimer's a year or two later.

Do you have any suggestions for South Carolina? Missy and Kristie mentioned something regards how they treat people based on the church you attend in the South. That kind of bothered me.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, Arizona is full of snowbirds who do just that. They pick up either a rental or buy a place on the cheap and they show up in the fall depending on weather in the Midwest or East Coast, and they stay until it gets too hot for their taste.

This is what we envision for our retirement house: On a water view lot, we will put a factory-built home built to our design. We will have the company send out staff who put it together/build it on our lot.

This way, we get the house we want, brand new, exactly where we want it. Bob gets a separate shop that has an office and full bath. We will have a garage and a pool for me is non-negotiable.

Lots of rich people (we're not rich) do these homes for second homes---Simon Doonan, etc. Remodeling is too expensive, uncontrollable, and risky (contractors and subs) and it always takes too long. Rather go with a factory built home in the right location.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, think of the bling we could get instead of the surgery! Neck and throat have the least patient satisfaction, and thin how awful it would be to have almost no ROM in your neck!!

It looks like laser and ultherapy for me.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1421287597|3816535 said:
Callie, think of the bling we could get instead of the surgery! Neck and throat have the least patient satisfaction, and thin how awful it would be to have almost no ROM in your neck!!

It looks like laser and ultherapy for me.

Kristie, I hear you. Surgery is scary. There are days my face scares me more! It makes me nervous to have anything done as well. We have all seen the pictures of the ones that have gone wrong.

Please tell me about Ultherapy. Is it like Thermage? My girlfriend had that done as well. She said it was a complete waste of money.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, the cold, wind and snow is Laramie does get old but it only lasts 9 months! I am sure Bob will agree with me. Polar fleece sheets are awesome. You are such a good mom to Finn and Maggie.

Callie, Marty get’s his braces off Feb. 2 so he was definitely going to make it home by then even if he had to go back. I don’t see Gone Girl yet on VOD or PPV but I’ll look for it this weekend. Too funny your husband picked up a blanket. You should have seen the stack I used to have on me when we camped. I could barely move. I always say I wish I could catch hot flashes but everyone tells me I don’t want them. I am glad to hear your cute doggie is better today. Are you feeling better today?

Missy, I actually did one of my favorite ways to relax tonight. It was clear out so I took my binoculars out on the deck and checked out the stars. There is a comet out right now so I hunted it down. I was only out there about 15 minutes but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I hate to hear Greg had to drive to the beach in bad weather today. I am just like you; I worry like crazy when Marty is on the road or in the air. We just worry about our guys, huh? We aren’t silly; we just care. My haircut is okay. I have been doing the messy bob but it seems uneven in places. I am not sure if it’s supposed to be that way or not. I think that is a good idea for you to get a haircut before you go back to work. I don’t mind trying new styles because it always grows out if you don’t like it. My crud is lingering but less all the time. It’s now minor coughing. I am feeling about normal again. Thanks. I am glad Greg mad it back okay. Oh no to no heat and hot water. I hope that gets fixed quickly! Good idea to check with your dentist so you know what to expect.

Junebug, I am glad to have a definite date when Marty will be home. My hair is past my ears but not quite to chin length. Is your shorter than that? Do you style yours with a brush too? I don’t even have the skill to style / blow dry my hair so I always want wash and wear hairdos but I hate perms anymore. I think I need to find something new too; I rarely think it looks good. I agree the stylist always does a better job with my hair than I do.

Ovi, I am not sure what is going on but you are in my thoughts. I am glad to hear Sapphie is better.

I had some bad and upsetting dreams about 2:30 this morning and had a hard time going back to sleep. I am watching something like the Big Bang before I go to bed tonight. No dark subjects or thoughts in my head.

One thing that was upsetting me last night was they already asked to bring someone through our house again. One of the dreams was someone trying to break in to our house to rob us. So first thing this morning I emailed the builder and told them after this couple I won’t be offering my house up for tours. I feel better about that now. Marty is gone too often so I don’t want strangers seeing our worldly goods.

I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.
Marcy

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, I love you and your friends! You understand why I bought the hand-held laser for my face at Nordstrom, right??? Bob did not ($500) but I stilll have it :appl:

Do you love Botox? Who administers it?

I have basically no face wrinkles but I could really use a boob lift. But the plastic surgeons at Mayo didn't do boob lifts without implants. I dont need MORE, I need UP!

Marcy, are you referring to orthodontia and Marty?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Marcy, I can't wait yo hear what you think of Gone Girl. My baby is feeling much better today. She was acting normal as soon as she woke up this morning. I had a headache all night and most of the day. It still hurts but no where near as bad. Don't ever wish for hot flashes. I can't wait for the day I stop having them.

Kristie, I went to Nordstrom 3 months ago to buy the device you are talking about. For some reason you can't use it if you have fillers.
My dermatologist administers the Botox. I get either 18 or 21 units either once a month or every other month. I don't care how bad the snowstorm is, I never miss those appointments. I love Botox and really think it helps. The girlfriend I was telling you about is the one who talked me into getting it. My husband thinks I am crazy. The first doctor who i went to really went overboard and it was awful. He used way too much. I looked horrible and felt horrible. I actually looked mad. I changed doctors and could not be happier. I get fillers about once a year.

I could use a boob lift too but in all honesty I worry to much about breast cancer to do it. I have more than enough for my body frame, it's just not where it should be anymore. That same friend had a lift and implant when she was in her early 40's. She nursed 4 kids. She was wearing a water bra and the darn thing leaked in the middle of a meeting. She called me and said that's it, I'm scheduling the appointment to have surgery. This aging stuff is not for the weak!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I've read about Botox is that in the right hands its a game changer. Im glad you have an actual physician doing that for you. Way to go!

Glad to hear your dog is doing well---what is her name???

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys! Checking in and checking out. You guys are being hilarious! I'm kinda swamped right now cause just lots going on. Will update soon. Hope everyone is doing well. xoxo

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies!

LOL you guys are killing me with all this cosmetic surgery talk haha. I am learning so much. I think you guys are being too hard on yourselves though. I am definitely too terrified to even try botox (and would just be thrilled with clear skin!) but definitely paying attention to your convo because well you never know. 8) I did not know Phoenix and Scottsdale were the plastic surgery capitals lol. I would have guessed Beverly Hills.

Though I have to agree with Kristie in well think about all the bling you can be buying instead.

I do remember hearing from a surgeon that we should stay away from them (unless absolutely necessary) because they will end up killing us. Not so funny but there is some truth in that statement. Though I guess botox etc does not apply but I am still too much of a scaredy cat. I have something in common with my felines right there haha.

Callie, I am so glad your headache is better finally. Now I want it to be gone completely. Do you have a trigger (weather related, food related) that sets these migraines off or do they just appear and do you have any effective meds or perhaps try something new for you that will get rid of them more quickly? I hate that you suffered for more than a day with that headache. :blackeye:

How is your sweet doggie doing? Hopefully 100% recovered from whatever it was that she had. I wonder if they get headaches like we do...I will have to ask my sister about that. I bet they do.

Callie, your mentioning necks and aging reminded me of that book by Nora Ephron. Have you ever read it? It's called I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman. A friend gave it to me this summer while I was recuperating. Hysterical.

Junebug, IDK when you are retired having 2 homes is more difficult that you might imagine. Even when you are younger it can be a pain. I guess it might be different if they are smaller homes and managed by someone else (i.e. managing agent etc) but I know it's always something that we are taking care of at either/both places. Sooo for that reason when one is retired it would not be my first choice. But of course and as always YMMV.

It is nice to get away and have a change of scenery and not having to stay at a hotel. That's one of the best things for us with having our beach house. I have all my creature comforts in both places. My home away from home and I am very comfortable. I'm just a homebody at heart though so for us this is perfect. However when we retire not so much because honestly who wants the stress of managing and paying for 2 homes at that stage unless you are very wealthy and can pay your people to do all that for you and then you can just "manage" them lol. Anyway our plan is to sell our co-op and move full time to our beach house when we are retired.

That was the primary reason we sold our last beach house because that wasn't my dream home for retiring. This one is but as you all know I am concerned about not being in the thick of things and where the action is where we are located at the beach. Though it is very close to Manhattan it is not as easy as jumping on the subway. It is also not a self contained town if you kwim. You have to really get in the car and drive to a bigger town like Red Bank so not as simple to just get out there and enjoy the day if you like being around others and shops and stuff.

Kristie, I like what you envision for your retirement home-factory built so exactly according to your specifications and reasonable in price on the lot you want with a water view in a good location. Perfect. It sounds like Bob is similar to Greg in that they both want and need a big shop (and in Greg's case he is the one that wants a garage). I want a huge closet, water view and are you ready for this...indoor pool. I learned that I would just love one because that way in any kind of weather I can swim and as we get older we know that exercise is kindest to our body. Greg as you can imagine feels that is an impractical idea. I think he is just being unreasonable. :cheeky:

When the time comes I will do some research for you re your lid surgeries and who is the best in oculoplastic surgeries. But I think you have some time before you start needing to consider that surgery. In the meantime I will see what I can find out for you.

Marcy, I am glad you are feeling better each day but I am so sorry you had such a bad night with nightmares and a fitful sleep! Ugh, I hate those kind of nights and it is even more difficult because Marty is not home yet. But he will be soon so YAY! I am happy you found some down time where you could relax and enjoy one of your favorite hobbies of checking out the stars. So peaceful and really puts things in perspective. We are such tiny dots in such a huge universe.

Can you say no to having people come to look at your house? At least while Marty is away? I mean you are allowed to change your mind no? If you don't want to do it I don't think you should Marcy. Oh OK I now see you wrote to the builder saying this is the last couple. Good for you.

Make sure to take a good before pic of Marty before he gets his braces off and then an after pic with him smiling the same way. It will be something I think you guys would enjoy having to look at and seeing the difference. I love before and after pics and maybe you guys would too. Just a thought.

Glad you are satisfied with your haircut. Yes I need one but not sure how short. I always chicken out and just get a trim. My hair is very easy to take care of in that I just wash it and let it air dry. If I cut it shorter I wonder if it will be as easy to manage. I also like the versatility of wearing it either up in a ponytail or down or half up (sides pinned back) and half down. But if I got it cut shorter it would have more swing and body with this low humidity cold air winter weather because right now it is lifeless. Not sure and knowing me I will probably chicken out because I don't like change. :wink2:

Hope you wake up this morning after a good night's sleep without any bad dreams feeling well without any lingering cough.

LLJsmom, Hi there. Hope all is well with you and chat soon. :wavey:

Ovi, how are you today? You know we are all keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and are here for you. I know you will be OK but this is a challenging time and I want you to know we care about you and love you and I know you can make it through and everything is going to work out. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dentist update for those who might be following and are interested:

Turns out the infectious disease specialist was correct. The Oracea I have been on for months is protective against any dental procedure so I do not need to take 2 grams of amoxicillin or even bump up my doxy to a higher dose. Though for peace of mind the dentist added it would be OK to take a double Oracea dose the day of the procedure if I want to...

YAY I don't have to neglect my teeth. :appl:
:bigsmile:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOWZA! That is the BEST news!

What a relief :) You can be confident, those ID docs are among the really intelligent ones/well trained ones.

Your dentist can scrape away and you can sleep like a relative baby that night :appl:

I have good news too: I've lost 4.3 pounds, so I'm TOTALLY on tract for Tucson buying Jan 331!!!!! I also feel much better, I've lost 10 pounds total since December/thread to lose weight. Of course, the first 10 are the "easy" ones, but hey, I'm feeling happy today!

Pool: Nonnegotiable for me also. My 'excuse' is my bum knee/leg heehee but the truth is I LOVELOVELOVE swimming, I love floating around in the pool contemplating my navel, reading in the pool on the raft, you name it.

Here's something you'll really love: Swimming at night. Seriously, its amazing. Our pool light is on a color wheel so at night when I'm swimming or floating I turn it on: DISCO POOL hahahaha. I go right from the pool to a rinse shower to bed at night in the summer. Bliss.

The pool was the best thing we did here in Arizona.

Here's what I've learned about pools:
1. Get the salt cleaning system. If you can't get that, then get chlorination. We keep the pool minimally chlorinated and have had no problems. I wish we'd gotten the salt system.
2. The shape should be a rectangle or some variation of rectangle IF you are going to get a pool cover. The odd-er your shape, the more custom the cover would have to be.
3. Cover? Get a motorized cover.
4. Get cool deck around it. Don't get the other high priced stuff, its slippery when wet.
5. Definitely DO get water features with it. They make a beautiful sound, you don't hear neighbors and they don't hear you. They are pretty visually too.
6. Get steps out NOT STEEP and get them somewhat wide. Don't let anyone talk you out of the grab rail on said steps.
7. KEY: Have a deep end, at least 6 feet, or you don't get the fantastic buoyancy.
8. Strongly strongly consider biting the bullet and getting the pool heated. The cost for the heater is a one-time moderate cost, its the cost of RUNNING that baby that makes people opt against it. Solar heating? It only works to extend your pool season time about a month.
9. Don't bother with fancy finishes like Pebble tec if they don't really 'speak' to you.
10. You CAN install your own mosaics; you can buy them from the same place the pool builder does, you rough them in the day before the plaster guys come OR you can assemble your own. We did both, we have a Kokopelli, a turtle, some geckos and ornamental ones outlining our steps.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1421302676|3816651 said:
Hi guys! Checking in and checking out. You guys are being hilarious! I'm kinda swamped right now cause just lots going on. Will update soon. Hope everyone is doing well. xoxo

hey LLJs, I've been using your dieting info and Missy's and I'm down 10 total, little over 4 pounds for my 5-pounds before Tucson goal. Lot of good stuff in your info/tips. I just can't get that broccoli feast happening, though, I'm one of those peeps that the cruciferous veggies, which are the best ones. Dr Fuhrman on Kelly and Michael yesterday says those are among the most anticarcinogenic vegetables ANNNND in order to get that protection they have to be crushed in your mouth really well, the crushing of the chewing releases the cancer fighting nutrients.

I have a question for you:

The hot water you drink throughout the day.

How how? Like tea maybe?

I read a book by Maria Menounous and she also drinks hot or warm water, she says it gets the GI system cleansed. Is that your experience too?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Missy, Great news about the dentist! How is your face feeling today? Is the heat and water back in? I'm picturing you bundled in a blanket with your slipper socks, drinking pipping hot coffee. Greg is off making you a new fleece robe in between taking conference calls for work!

Kristie and Missy, I also felt for the longest time that Botox, fillers and cosmetic surgery were crazy and a waste of money. Then one day you catch a glimpse of yourself while shopping and almost can't believe what you are seeing. I started feeling that way in my late forties. It didn't hit some of my friends until their early fifties. My girlfriend that gave me the hardest time about it called one day crying because her face was making her sad. I also think you fare much better as you age if you have a fuller face. My face is very thin. That seemed to make everything so much worse as far as the aging process is concerned. Botox and a small amount of fillers helped so much. I think the key is having a good doctor. Kristie and Missy you are absolutely correct about the cost though. I could have a 4 carat OEC for what everything has cost through the years. Kristie, it's been my experience that I prefer to have small amounts of Botox more often than larger amounts every 3 or 4 months. It is a much more natural look IMO. Some women really go overboard with the fillers and Botox. I am bothered by woman who have all these procedures done and act like they just naturally look this good while they are pushing 60. And don't even get me started on men thinking its all natural. My husband thinks Christy Brinkley and Susan Lucci have just naturally aged like this. I would never lie about it.

Junebug, I also agree with Missy about having two homes when you retire. We were considering that option but felt the upkeep would be too hard without having a management company taking care of everything. Our thoughts were exactly what you mentioned Missy. We were seriously considering having a home built in Florida about 10 years ago. Housing prices were crazy back then and we thought it might be a great investment. I'm so glad we didn't. Housing collapsed, and they ways things unfolded with my family, I'm sure my dads wife's kids would have been staying there without our permission. It would have been a nightmare.

Marcy and Junebug, I hope all the talk about Botox and fillers have not scared you off! I'm really not too crazy.

OV, I have no idea what you are dealing with but I hope and pray you are okay.

LLJsmom, Where the heck are you. I Miss You!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, I totally understand the Botox and fillers. I do have one friend who admits to having them and she looks so damn good.

Re cost, well heck you wear your face every day.

I know just what you mean about aging. I read that in a woman's life there are the years when you walk in a room and all heads turn. When that stops happening, its noticeable to us women. I remember when the heads stopped turning :-o There's a certain power in your 20s and up to mid-30s that comes with youth and its strength and good looks.

I remember the day I looked in the mirror and the aunt I DO NOT LIKE was looking back at me! It took my breath away. I was bummed for MONTHS.

now I want to look good for my age. I want to look rested and chill. I'd like to look as cool or hip as is feasible for my age without looking desperate or like I'm trying to hard or like I don't get that I'm not 25 any more. I don't want to look like I'm giving up, either dammit. I don't color my hair, I think my hair is going to be pretty silver and white like my maternal grandmother's. The two biggest aging factors I have are being overweight and not coloring my hair. I'm working hard on the overweight :bigsmile:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheers to the I Feel Bad About My Neck book!

Funnier than that is: I See You Made An Effort, by Annabelle Gurwtich. Hysterical.

Also anything by Sandra Tsing Loh ---The Madwoman in the Volvo is pretty funny but her Atlantic articles and the writeups of her NRP stuff is do die for.

Also completely funny, not about achieving middle age, is Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha Callie, I can just picture that now. My dh making me a fleece robe. Love it! Reminds me though I have the most comfy cozy robe we got in 2006 at The Point. A resort we stayed at during the holidays. Best trip ever and I bought the robe they had there because it was pure luxury. Of course that robe is at the beach house where the cold just feels colder than here if that makes sense so I left it there. Fortunately we do have heat and hot water. Thanks for asking. Is your headache all gone I hope?

Hi Kristie, you are doing so well on your diet and exercise plan! Woohoo!!! You go girl! :appl:

I love broccoli and have it every night in my salad. Very tasty and so many ways to prepare it though I buy the frozen broccoli and heat it in the microwave and then add to my salad with all my other veggies and protein. Delicious and not necessary to add anything to the broccoli IMO. Interesting about the chewing releasing the anti cancer nutrients. A good argument for chewing your food haha.

Thanks for the pool tips. We grew up with a pool and it was heated and I definitely would not have it any other way. Swimming in cold water is not enticing at all to me. However it is doubtful we will put in a pool if we stay here. Not enough good weather to make the upkeep worth it IMO. Unless I can have my INDOOR pool!!! But as I said Greg is being unreasonable regarding the indoor pool issue. He doesn't think it would work in our full attic. Something about it being too heavy yada yada yada. :cheeky:

I agree with you about night swimming. Very relaxing and my parents have these cool lights in the pool too though it is not like your disco pool which sounds cool. It is a nice thing to do on hot summer nights and then rinse and slip between the cool clean sheets. Sweet dreams guaranteed. :halo: Oh now you have me wanting that pool Kristie! :devil:

Thanks for those book recs. I am going to check them out.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, yes Marty had braces put on over 3 years ago now. His folks couldn’t afford it when he was a kid and he always felt self-conscious about his crooked teeth so when he switched jobs he decided he wanted to get this teeth straightened. I’ve been impressed with what he has been able to eat with his mouthful of wires. Yay for losing 10 pounds and I know you’ll make that last less than a pound by the end of the month. Congratulations! Thank you for suggestions for some funny books.

Callie, I hope your headache continues to get better and just goes away. I am delighted to hear your baby is doing fine. I did find Girl Gone on VOD so I’ll try to watch it this weekend. I agree with you that aging isn’t for sissies. Botox and fillers don’t scare me off but with my allergies I know better than to even consider such things.

Hi LLJsmom, I hope you get time for some quiet, me time soon.

Missy, that book sounds hysterical. I’ll have to read it. Your beach house sounds like a perfect retirement home but yes you will miss having everything very conveniently located. At that point in your life you may not care as much though. It is hard to say what your priorities will be then. Marty sounds okay with showing our home so if he’s home the builder can ask him but I’m not going to offer any more. I doubt Marty will let me do before and after pictures; he hates to have his picture taken. That is why he takes a killer rabbit on his trips so he can have something personal in his photos. Do you have any old pictures of you with shorter hair; maybe look at them and see if you’d like that length again. I did sleep well last night, thank goodness. I am very happy to hear you don’t need to neglect your teeth.

Ovi, I hope you had a good day. Did you go back to work today?

I slept a whole lot better last night. I put in earplugs so I wouldn’t hear the furnace vent popping as much and I didn’t have any bad dreams.

I stopped at the mall tonight to eat forbidden chicken nuggets and see if Kays had more teddy bears. I got my nuggets but Kays was out of bears. I came home and took food allergy medicine and alka seltzer. I’ll get back to you tomorrow how good of an idea it was to eat chicken.

Have a great Friday.
Marcy

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Marcy, when Bob and I got married we put braces on his teeth, did a ton of preparatory dental work and oral surgery. Excellent use of money. Bob's bro did 0 and now has upper and lower dentures :silenced:

Its a big day when the braces come off whether you're 14 or 40!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Missy, Where is The Point located? I remember someone saying what a great place it was but I can't remember where it is. When we were building our home many home builders in the area had model homes. I used to drag the kids to the model homes with me. One of the homes had an indoor pool. The whole house smelled like Chlorine. The kids drove their parents crazy trying to get an indoor pool. I had instructions from my brothers to never let their kids set foot in that house again.

Kristie, Wow, congratulations on losing 10 pounds. You should be so proud of yourself! My husband is buying me a Fit Bit. I'm really hoping it motivates me to exercise more. He thinks I will only wear for a day or two because its ugly.

You do understand! I also don't want to look like I'm trying too hard. I know I will never look 30 again. Fortunately I am not that delusional. I just want to look good for my age and not tired all the time. Your story about your aunt was hysterical.

Marcy, My husband had braces in his early thirties. I remember how excited I was to finally get them off my teeth. I just recently quit wearing my retainer. Do you have any plans for the weekend besides watching Gone Girl? Just so you know, Gone Girl is a pretty dark movie. I'm hoping we can watch more episodes of Downton Abby. We are still watching the second season. I was so happy that Anna won a Golden Globe last Sunday night.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1421338301|3816807 said:
LLJsmom|1421302676|3816651 said:

hey LLJs, I've been using your dieting info and Missy's and I'm down 10 total, little over 4 pounds for my 5-pounds before Tucson goal. Lot of good stuff in your info/tips. I just can't get that broccoli feast happening, though, I'm one of those peeps that the cruciferous veggies, which are the best ones. Dr Fuhrman on Kelly and Michael yesterday says those are among the most anticarcinogenic vegetables ANNNND in order to get that protection they have to be crushed in your mouth really well, the crushing of the chewing releases the cancer fighting nutrients.

I have a question for you:

The hot water you drink throughout the day.

How how? Like tea maybe?

I read a book by Maria Menounous and she also drinks hot or warm water, she says it gets the GI system cleansed. Is that your experience too?

Kristie, you are doing so well!! I'm totally impressed and you are inspiring me. I drink a lot of water, hot water, or very warm water. I drink tea about 40% of the time, green tea. But trying to cut back b/c of the staining on the teeth. To clean out the bowels, I will eat 2-3 apples a day, with skin, and after rinsing with a special fruit rinse that gets rid of the pesticides cause I don't usually buy organic apples, unless they are from my garden. With any one apple, I will drink 2 cups of water as I eat it. That always cleans me out. I'm eating a lot of raw carrots these days too, at least one whole raw carrot a day. I love it. Fills me up and tastes great with hummus.

Kristie, you sure are doing the right things. I need to make better choices myself too. I'm doing ok. Went through a dark week and just hibernated, and focused on the family. Catch up with you all soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results