shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Narents (narcissist parents) are 84. Outstanding health. They have had, in essence, *2* retirements and I would submit to you that if you retire late 50s-60 and live into or beyond your mid-80s, you will too!

Why?

Because hopefully your 60s and 70s will see you in excellent health enjoying all the activities you want---sports/workouts, travel, volunteering, taking courses or classes, you name it.

When you hit 78 or so, it's time to locate a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community).

why?

Because you will have many friends and a fun social life rather than sitting home and attending the funerals of your friends, their children, former coworkers. You will have all levels of care provided, including going from fully independent to some assistance, lots of assistance, rehab when needed, supervised exercise including PT, nursing care, Alzheimer's/dementia. At a price arrived at by your care status when you first sign up, with some additions depending.

If you're still reading, this replaces expensive long-term care insurance. :read:

My parents paid beaucoup $ from their early 50s for LTC insurance. And they'll never use it because they are in a CCRC.

Their lives are great--- lots of friends, parties, trips, movies, hobbies, bridge, mah jong, the choir, etc. Good dining choices.

So Bob and I are planning for a 2-phase retirement. I dropped our LTC insurance, which an attorney friend said could be iffy if the company got sold OR fought claims.

What are you guys thinking/planning for? LLJs and Missy, you two home slices are too young for this talk :mrgreen: unless you are planners by nature!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, I could not agree with you more about the two retirements. I am dealing with this very thing with my parents. We tried our best to talk them into a 55 and older community when they retired 12 years ago. They chose a new community with all young families. My mom didn't want to live near older people. Now their health is starting to decline. We hired a snow removal service this winter and will hire a lawn service the summer. My parents wouldn't think of purchasing a townhouse because they refused to pay monthly fees. I'm sure this was also part of the reason they wouldn't consider a 55 and older community. They are now talking about moving to a townhouse with all young families. It makes no sense to me.

I worry how my mom will be if something were to happen to her husband. Had they moved to the 55 and older community, they would have a group of friends to do things with, that lived nearby. I just think they would be happier and enjoying their retirement more.

We are both in our mid fifties. I am currently not working and my husband plans to retire before he turns sixty. We are trying to figure out where we would like to retire.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww Callie, thank you! I feel the same about you and to all the other lovely ladies here. And what I tell myself about my face being wrecked with this is that real beauty is on the inside anyway. At least that is what I keep telling myself haha. :oops: :halo:

What Kristie wrote about everything coming down to which church you belong to in certain parts of the country? Absolutely true. That is how you are judged so just another factor in the retirement decision.

Kristie, yes, very expensive. Our maintenance in Brooklyn is OTT and our property taxes at the shore are right up there too. Which is another reason I would love just having one home to worry about and pay monthly expenses for but that is a bit down the road I think unless something happens. We all know how things have a way of changing even with the best laid plans.
Haha I think we all know that saying We plan and G-d laughs. Oh boy does he! ;))

Which reminds me Greg is reading a great book called The God Delusion. As soon as he is finished I am going to read it. We had a funny experience on Saturday at my sister's clinic. Her boss had just taken care of Francesca's tooth and roots and he came out and saw Greg reading the book and he said oh what are you reading. LOL You could have heard a pin drop when he saw the title and no other comment about the book was made. OMG I was sort of surprised because that is literally judging a book by its cover and I really didn't think of Brian as that type of person. I still love him though so it's OK.

Kristie, that is our retirement plan too. We never got to the point of having LTC insurance though years ago we were discussing it. When we get old enough we will find a CCRC. We are also planners like you guys. Now let's just hope all of us remain vital and healthy well into old age!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I want to retire with Missy--cuz her hubby is an awesome cook, she wants to live by the water and is sweet by nature in addition to her great taste in homes, jewellery and pets. I think I have made the "right" decision. Is that too much to ask?? :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, I completely get you on this.

We bought in a new development, families,an excellent public school system. On our block were two couples over 65. They hate it here. None of the kids in our area are outside to mingle with neighbors, they have after school sports, activities, homework then bed. The adults do not socialize, no morning coffee, no afternoon cocktails, no dinner parties, no bunco, no cards. Nada.

One couple moved a few miles away to a 55+ 'active adult community.' They love it.

My Narents, they bought a home in that community when they were 76. They worked me and Bob like slaves. They traveled, they completely redecorated their new home $$$$ inside/out. Apparently my dad assumed when he started to need care that bob and I would quit our jobs, lose our own retirement and provide him in-home 24-hour care, housekeeping, yard, chauffeur, you get the picture. They spent summers in san Diego. The last summer, before they left, I confronted them, seeing that they were no longer CCRC shopping. They admitted they were going to gamble, roll the dice that they would never become ill or need care, they would just die in their sleep/heart attack.

So off they went to the beach for the summer. My dad has a TIA most likely from expired Coumadin. He freaks out about it, won't go to sleep, insists on driving, etc. Their doctors are at Mayo. I fly over to drive them home as I can't have them driving through the desert. What a nightmare those 4 days were. They signed up at Sagewood the following week. Lots of angst and bad behavior. I was not completely nice to them because they love me caretaking them and I wanted them to have a further incentive to go in the ccrc.

Thank god they went in, because I can't handle their abusive rages and Bob isnt tolerating their behavior towards me. I'm out of their picture but they are wonderfully cared for nonetheless. My mom would prefer I provide their care but I'm not going to end my life to amuse her.

Sorry I digressed there, but I heartily advise getting the elderly in these pksces BEFORE the crisis, getting the best
Rate/price, and they make friends, enjoy all it has to offer, and really get to know the staff and vice versa.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1421198592|3816032 said:
HI:

I want to retire with Missy--cuz her hubby is an awesome cook, she wants to live by the water and is sweet by nature in addition to her great taste in homes, jewellery and pets. I think I have made the "right" decision. Is that too much to ask?? :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

Line forms at the left!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1421199125|3816036 said:
canuk-gal|1421198592|3816032 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Line forms at the left!!!!

Phooey. :((

WAIT a minute...I was here first! :bigsmile: :saint:

cheers--Sharon

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger that, we will line up behind ya!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, hey, I know I'm short but please quit stepping on me in the line!

Kristie, Thank you for sharing your family story. My FIL had Alzheimer's and I have always felt if they lived in a community like you described it would have made my MIL life so much easier. Sometimes it really gets tough navigating all the family stuff.

My husband and I have always been planners. The older I get, the more thankful I am that we are.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My godparents in Los Gatos, CA, went into a nonprofit CCRC, its run by a board made up of residents. My parents are in a for-profit CCRC (Westminster is the corporation). Watching the two experiences and environments, I'd go with the nonprofit. Word /wise and all.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, how is your pup feeling??????

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, I would say our gas and light bills average about $250 as well. We keep the AC at 76 and run it from May/June until September. We have Dish Network but I know a lot of people going to antenna and something like Netflix. Tell Bob there isn’t snow in Wyoming any more. Ha Ha. The wind quit too.

Missy that is great Francesca is becoming more like herself. I am sure it will take her a little while to start to feel better. Marty will be home on the 31st and not have to return for the submission on the 9th. One of his co-workers from the UK will handle that. I hope the dermatologist’s new treatment works. Just from what skin and rash problems I’ve had I always found I got worse before I got better. Getting some of the dead skin off your face will probably help but it sounds like a challenge to get them to come off easily.

Callie, I hope your furbaby is doing better tonight. I am lost without my iPad too. When I have my mini home on the weekends I leave it in our walk-in closet so I can check for things in there. I get partly dressed and check my email, the weather. I’m bad. So you have a great pizza and a wonderful diamond district there? That sounds fabulous! I would be freezing in your house. I have the heat at 73. Our basement would be about right for you; it is distinctly colder downstairs.

All the frosted trees were gorgeous driving to work this morning. Sadly the icy roads and sidewalks weren’t fun. I was relieved to get to work and make it in the front door.

I think I’m the only one of us who likes it warm instead of chilly. We talked about heated tile in our bathroom but Marty likes things cold too. I sleep in slipper socks so when I wander through the bathroom in the morning I don’t notice the cold floor. We also had them put a heater vent right under the sink. I love it when the warm air is blowing my chilly feet.

I got my hair cut after work today so took a shower when I got home and I am toasty warm in my fleece robe now. I forgot how warm this thing is. Sweet.

Well take care!
Marcy / Curby

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, Marcy, it's the Wyoming effect :-o I forgot about the wind, Bob can really yak it up about Laramie and the wind. I could not have gone to college there, good hair was crucial for me! If he was in Wyoming in winter I'd have to get him polarfleece sheets :bigsmile:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, Great news about Marty coming home earlier. You must be tso happy. Its always such a nice surprise when things work out in your favor. From my experience it usually happens the other way around where they are asking them to stay another week. I'm just thrilled he gets to come home earlier for you. So what movies will you watch this weekend? You have to let me know what you think of Gone Girl when you see it.

You would be fine at my house. The upstairs is a little warmer. I would make sure you had slipper socks and a fleece robe. It's so funny we are talking about this today. My husband stopped at Bed Bath and Beyond tonight and bought a warm blanket just for him. One of my friends always gives me a hard time about it being cold in here. I keep telling her to just wait until she gets hot flashes.

Kristie, She seemed a little better for about 10 minutes when my husband came home. She actually was excited about dinner which is how she normally is. Now she is right back in my lap. If she isn't better tomorrow I will bring her to the vet. The vet said dogs can get viruses just like we do. Has this been your experience with Finn and Maggie?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies!

I am thrilled and honored everyone will be joining Greg and me in our retirement. :bigsmile: Sharon, Kristie, Callie,there is room for all of you lovely ladies. Anytime and I mean that!

There is also room for Marcy, LLJsmom, Junebug, Rainwood and anyone else I might have missed. I love all of you guys and to be serious for a moment you are all totally welcome anytime in our home.

Callie, I am relieved to hear that your sweet doggie is feeling better and I hope your headache is gone this morning.

Kristie, I know I don't need to say this but your parents are incredibly lucky that they had you helping them and planning for them the whole way. And good for you in realizing this was the best situation for them. Even though one could say they didn't deserve all your help and hard work after all they put you through. However since they are your parents and I am glad they are cared for well and in the best environment for them without putting any more undue stress on you!

Marcy, that is wonderful news! I am thrilled for you that Marty is coming home sooner rather than later! :appl: Now that you have a date the time will fly by hopefully and you can catch up on some activities with your girlfriends and maybe some pampering time. With the cold weather you guys have how about a spa day with your local girlfriends? Pedicure, manicure, massage and sauna? Sounds good to me and then you can be all relaxed and happy when Marty returns!

I am glad you are being careful on the icy roads and streets. I agree with you in how pretty it all looks with the trees and the white snow on the bare branches but it can be so treacherous out there on the roads. Please be very careful as I know you are being. Greg is driving to the beach house this morning to meet with the painter and also the heating/ac guys to fix our whole house humidifier and of course I am a bit worried as the roads here are icy too and whenever I am not with him I am nervous when he is driving long distances in inclement weather. Silly I know.

Are you happy with your haircut? I love getting into a nice warm soft robe after a shower on a cold winter's day. Something so comforting and safe about that. Now you have reminded me I want to get a haircut before I return to work. Maybe I will get a bit more cut than usual so it can be sassy with a little more body than my longer hair is currently exhibiting due to lack of humidity. I swear my curly hair becomes straight in the winter but not in a good way lol.

How are you feeling this morning? Do you still have a residual cough left? Are you feeling stronger each day I hope? Sending more of those healing vibes your way Marcy and hoping you are almost back to 100% if not totally there yet.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie: It sure is my experience that dogs get viruses and the vet told me that they can get a 'cold' and even the flu. I don't vaccinate the dogs for rabies (no rabies in our area for decades) or anything else UNLESS there is an outbreak of parvo or distemper and then I do SINGLE vaccines, not bundled ones.

When Finn or Maggie are feeling bad I have to peel them off me. Finn in particular, he is a real Mama's Boy when he's not feeling tip top. Both dogs, I think, have pain and discomfort like arthritis or even a fibromyalgia, from bad knees and the surgeries they've had (Finn one knee surgery and Maggie three hip replacements {One replacement luxated in the first 12 hours postop and had to be repeated}). I give them Wobenzym 3 pills daily and that has kept the pain and discomfort down or gone. I've also started giving them supplements from Springtime for Joint Health and one called Longevity. The Joint Health powder has boswellia in it, which is a pain reliever. Finn, who is 12 now, after several days on it was bouncing around like a puppy again, playing with toys, playing with Maggie, and trotting instead of trudging!! YAY. Springtime has a supplement called Fresh Factors which several of my friends swear by for general health. I give Finn and Maggie the Longevity instead because Maggie is 7 now and Finn at 12 are considered 'elderly' by veterinary science :((

When they are pasted on me, I do a little systems check on their bodies, I check their paws and gently inside and around the pads, I give them a little massage to feel for anything lumpy or weird or a pain response. Check her teeth, she could be brewing trouble in her mouth. I have Finn and Maggie's teeth x-rayed about every 16 months at these ages to make sure we have nothing abscessing or decaying inside the gums. Check ears---I found an ear infection in Finn this weekend and a couple days of Mometamax I keep on hand stopped that right in its tracks.

TMI, here probably, but I keep my eye on the poops, they are a good indicator of health status :shock:

Pets and hugs to your little furry girl, keep us informed okay?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1421198211|3816028 said:
Aww Callie, thank you! I feel the same about you and to all the other lovely ladies here. And what I tell myself about my face being wrecked with this is that real beauty is on the inside anyway. At least that is what I keep telling myself haha. :oops: :halo:

Which reminds me Greg is reading a great book called The God Delusion. As soon as he is finished I am going to read it. We had a funny experience on Saturday at my sister's clinic. Her boss had just taken care of Francesca's tooth and roots and he came out and saw Greg reading the book and he said oh what are you reading. LOL You could have heard a pin drop when he saw the title and no other comment about the book was made. OMG I was sort of surprised because that is literally judging a book by its cover and I really didn't think of Brian as that type of person. I still love him though so it's OK.

Missy, Bob is usually reading a Christopher Hitchens book with some incendiary title, or God is Dead, and I can just hear the crickets in the waiting room for Bob and me, hahahaha. But you'd think a veterinarian would be a science type. Bob says no, medical people aren't science people (he has a master's in geology, which in his estimation is a true science and hey, he's right, says the clarinet major).

In Anchorage there were more churches than bars. We call this phenomenon "My church is right/yours is going to Hell" or "My Jesus is Better Than Your Jesus." (Apologies to anyone I offended here. I just apologize in advance any more.)

Arizona is pretty much the same.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

Missy, I know you don't want to dwell on your skin, so I will just quickly say that I'm encouraged by your derm's opinion and treatment plan but also understand that it's hard for you to feel completely the same way! Hugs to you, you sound like you are coping well and I admire you for that because I get that this is so not easy. Inner beauty? You possess that, hands down. But I'm going to maintain you are beautiful on the outside as well! I know you don't feel that way right now, but honestly you look years younger than your age, and I mean that!

Glad to hear Francesca is doing ok!

Marcy, very glad to hear Marty is heading home sooner than expected! Great news! Do you like your haircut? I just got mine cut and I think I need to come up with a different hairstyle. It looks good when the hair stylist does it, but I feel like I look like such a frump when I style it myself - I have pretty short hair, and I guess the way I blow dry it makes a difference. Ah well, what are you going to do, I guess it really doesn't matter at this stage of the game!

Callie, sorry your family is getting to you! I have family issues too and I guess that doesn't help much but they say misery loves company lol. I hope the issues are just temporary situations and things improve soon. Also hope your fur baby is feeling better soon, I know how concerning it is when our pet just isn't his/her usual self.

Dh and I are in our mid-fifties too, and yes, trying to figure out where and when to retire. My husband would like to retire sooner rather than later so that he still has his health and the energy to do things, mainly play golf ha! Right now it's hard to make concrete plans because of me helping out with my mother. We have a place in a gated community in SC and we love it there - it is very serene and quiet, not built up, and an emphasis on maintaining the wildlife, which I love. Not sure how we'd make out in the winter though - it gets cold enough sometimes to prohibit doing stuff outdoors - but I guess we could take trips to warmer climates. Another thing is maybe it's a bit too secluded, as we get up in age it might not be the safest place for us. (omg, how depressing is this?). I'm sure we could start out there but I don't know if we could ride out our retirement there - guess it depends on how healthy we both stay. We are pretty close to the beach, literally a minute car ride and under 10 minute bike ride. Dh watches the houses of sale, and was bummed that a house on the beach sold, even though we really aren't in a position to sell our place and buy something else right now. We talk about down-sizing but then start looking at larger houses lol! We really don't know what we're doing ha.

Kristie, your discussion about LTC is very helpful - dh and I are debating right now whether to get it - my mother's situation has made me realize you don't know what's down the road and I'd like to be prepared - my mother has very little savings and didn't plan for old age, so she has no options right now - if she declines to a point where she needs a nursing home we'll have to apply for Medicaid, from what I understand a real headache and not always the best places. Frankly, it's kind of a mess and very worrisome. I would rather my kids not have to deal with all of that, so it's important to me to have a plan in place. I'm aware of CCRC, my brother's mil is in one but for some reason haven't considered it for us until now. I'll have to talk to dh about it this weekend.

Hey, maybe we could all go to the same CCRC! We'd be like the Golden Girls except with spouses haha!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We could lobby for a PS discount! :dance: My parents went into this CCRC at the same time with friends and relatives. It made the transition easier, I think.

Regarding retirement locations, your SC (South Carolina?) sounds ideal for the first or early retirement for you and your DH. It sounds not ideal if you make into the 80s and beyond. Even IF you were in perfect health in your 80s (not realistic, you can't duck age-related disease like hypertension, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, etc) you aren't going to want to deep clean your house, you may be sick and tired of meal preparation and the kind of grocery shopping cleanup that goes with it. You probably should not be driving. If you're not going the CCRC route, you need to be able to hire people to clean the house, drive you where you need to go, prepare meals/grocery shop, etc etc. I live in a suburb of Phoenix and have had trouble finding a cleaning lady. When you're elderly, you're vulnerable and at least at a CCRC they've done a background check on staff and supervise them. They typically aren't 'alone' with you. In our area, good people with no criminal record need not resort to elder care for employment. So that leaves the people with criminal records, substance abuse issues, mental issues, etc.

LTC insurance, the problems with that (and I had a policy for 9 years while I worked for Mayo and got their group deal, started with it at 46 and just terminated at 56, even at 46 with no health problems extremely expensive insurance) are:
If the company is not financially strong/sound enough to be there when you need the coverage and are making claims.
Gets bought by another company who won't back your policy.
The company fights every single claim you would make, which would require you to retain an attorney to fight that.

I went to every CCRC in Arizona with my mom. I listened to my godmother in Los Gatos as she visited them in California. These are the way to go in terms of ensuring your care in extreme old age or illness or both. Get one that is a nonprofit; my mom's is owned by Westminster and in the past 5 years they've been there they have raised their monthly payment by 5% every year with the rationale for this being "we're doing a great job!" This is a problem when you have pensions for your income. Shoot, its a problem for almost everyone there. My godparents are in a nonprofit CCRC and its run by a resident board, no increases for existing residents yet.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junie my love, I would point out to you that your mom DID have a plan for her retirement: Her children.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, you make great points and your post is really helpful, I'm going to show it to dh, we have some thinking to do…and I agree that for a while our SC house should work out ok but not for the long haul. My daughter has already voiced concerns about it lol. And yes, dh and I are healthy right now but old age brings health issues - Interestingly, my 90 year old mother doesn't have any serious health issues -well, I guess she has the risk of a stroke - but no hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, etc. She's actually quite healthy for her age, and I think that's why it's kind of hard to understand how she has become so frail and feeble. She did have shingles last year, and dehydration and a UTI this past summer so I guess that weakened her. I think her dementia has played a role too.

And yes, I agree with you, I guess my mother did indeed have a plan.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Girls,

I just wanted to say hi and send you hugs, someone please recap for me sometime what has been happening, I could not read enough to see if we are only talking retirement or where to meet for a GTG, I think both. Sorry but as some of you may already know, I am going through a very traumatic event that I did not want to discuss here, hence my absence but I have missed you all. I do want to join again but tomorrow and Friday I have to go to work as well, so bare with me please. I try to be here in the weekend, hope all goes ok. I also had Sapphie get sick but she is ok for the moment I think, it appears to be a urinary infection. Just too much stuff going on with some really hard to handle. But I did want you all to know that I am not ignoring you, that is all I can say right now. Of course you can always reach me privately. Love to all.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ovi, big hugs to you! You've got mail from me, hopefully it made it thru to you, please let me know here if you have not received my email.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1421263968|3816364 said:
Kristie, you make great points and your post is really helpful, I'm going to show it to dh, we have some thinking to do…and I agree that for a while our SC house should work out ok but not for the long haul. My daughter has already voiced concerns about it lol. And yes, dh and I are healthy right now but old age brings health issues - Interestingly, my 90 year old mother doesn't have any serious health issues -well, I guess she has the risk of a stroke - but no hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, etc. She's actually quite healthy for her age, and I think that's why it's kind of hard to understand how she has become so frail and feeble. She did have shingles last year, and dehydration and a UTI this past summer so I guess that weakened her. I think her dementia has played a role too.

And yes, I agree with you, I guess my mother did indeed have a plan.

Junebug, I did not mean that in a snarky way, I just meant that sometimes our parents do not share the inner workings of their minds with us and they generally hate disclosing really personal details like health and finance to adult children. Your mom probably figured you and bro would team up and take care of things.

And you know what? From what you write, it seems like it wouldn't have been an issue had your mom not been a complete exception to the lifespan statistics, right? Most people have to say goodbye to their parents anywhere between their parents being in the 60s-70s, 80s are getting up their, and 90s are rare. So you and your brother, of course you are experiencing caregiver fatigue, you've been at it longer than nature says you should :))

My dad, his "plan" was to have me and Bob handle everything and he figured he would die of a heart attack in his sleep, in his own bed and home.

Now, my dad takes Coumadin for atrial fibrillation, he takes Lipitor for cardiovascular protection, he takes lisinopril for minimal to nonexistant hypertension (I disagree with his doc on this but whatevs). HE ISN'T GOING TO DIE OF THAT MIDNIGHT HEART ATTACK because he's intervening in such a way that he will dwindle on and probably die of fall related injuries, dementia and issues OR he lives long enough that his untreated prostate cancer wins the race.

So I used to laff in my mind when my dad would windbag about how he planned to die, because he made sure that would NOT be his scenario.

I moved from Anchorage, where Bob and I were very happy and I had an amazing and very well remunerated job, to be able to take care of my parents when they got old enough to need that help. It wasn't until I was back living near them and slaving around for them (even though they needed no help of any sort whatsoever) that I started to wonder if something wasn't 'wrong.' When my dad ordered me to divorce Bob (Bob had not put down his book fast enough when my parents made an unannounced Saturday afternoon visit to our house) I knew my parents were not "normal" in their interactions with Bob and me. When my mom demanded $275k for no reason or purpose a couple years after my dad's divorce bomb, I had had enough and went into therapy and did a lot of research on parents and adult children.

So I'm not saying anything judgie or negative about you or your mom. It sounds to me like you have a good relationship with her that just needs some tweaking now that you're getting older, she's getting older, and respite care is in order for everyone to stay the established course.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ovi, we have been thinking of you all day and we are here for you. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Junebug, thank you for your always kind words and empathy. Right back at you. Oh and the reason I look younger is because lately I have the type of skin adolescents with pimples have. Bad. LOL. :wall:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, think of yourself as a teenager with MONEY and the cutest boyfriend ever!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie said:
Missy, think of yourself as a teenager with MONEY and the cutest boyfriend ever!

LOL Kristie. I like the way your mind works. :bigsmile:

On another note the PA from my surgeon's office just emailed me back and says he ran my question by their infectious disease specialists and will get back to me as soon as he finds out the answer. I am so nervous because I don't know what I am going to do if I cannot have dental work done for 2 years just in case I break a tooth or have an infection i.e. need for root canal. I mean that is not unheard of with my history. You cannot make this stuff up. :???:

ETA: Andrew said their infectious disease specialists said just stay on my usual dose of doxy (Oracea) and no need to take anything else or bump it up. I am uneasy with that answer as it makes no sense. Oracea is only sub microbial in action i.e. anti-inflammatory only and provides no antibacterial protection. I wrote that again to Andrew and he replied that's fine. The Oracea is sufficient...I am definitely contacting my dentist tomorrow because while I love that answer if it is correct it doesn't lay well with me because it doesn't make any sense. Hoping I am wrong and Andrew and their infectious disease specialists at HSS are right.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re your PA dude and Infectious Diseases: Welcome to what used to be my world at work.

It makes no sense re the doxy. I would bet dollars to donuts he didn't hear back from an Infectious Disease PHYSICIAN because those docs KNOW all the antibiotics and their mechanism and spectrum and would never make that kind of mistake. Someone is talking out of their a$$,either some numbskull PA or RN in ID or old Andrew.

The dentist will know which antibiotic and what dose/how long. They handle this all day/every day in their practices and think of all the baby boomers with joint replacements these days---tons of experience with this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kristie. As per my research as you are already aware doxy does not provide the protection necessary. Amoxicillin is the drug of choice with a few other alternatives but doxy is not one of them. And unfortunately I cannot mix my doxy with any other antibiotic... We'll see what my dentist says. I so want to believe Andrew because that would make life so much easier right now.

On an another unrelated note...the building's boiler just broke down. Middle of winter and no heat or hot water and the super's daughter had a kidney transplant today (she is doing OK thank goodness) so he is out of the picture. As I wrote before you cannot make this stuff up. And Greg just got home from the beach house and no way he is going right back there with me so I can have hot water haha. And tomorrow is a real in the office workday for him as he has been working out of the office these past 2 days soooo I better bundle up haha. I can deal with the no heat but the cold water not so much. :o See short sassy hair would be so much easier to deal with now yanno?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh god, that is TERRIBLE. And according to the weather reports, the east coast is having freezing rain today. Unbelieveable.

How many people in your building? That should be a bunch of calls to the super right there. He can call in the plumbers from her bedside!!! Missy can sign for their time in/time out paperwork if necessary just to have hot water, right?!?!?!?!

Missy, re the dental appointment.

Talk to the dentist. I think it would be logical to put this cleaning appointment up a week or two to get this ironed out to your satisfaction and full confidence.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results