carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning from Scandinavia!
Have you had a good weekend? I hope so :)

On a more horrible note - that shooting - how can people be so terrible??

The weekend went by sooooo quickly! We had guests at the summerhouse, 2 adults, 1 child and 2 baby twins. So 5 children all in all, including our own two. I'm exhausted! I love having guests, but oh my. I had forgotten how little babies sleep. So maybe 3 hours of sleep for me? (I wake up easily when there is a bit of noise, and it takes me forever to get back to sleep). The weather was really lovely, sunny and warm and just a little bit of wind. And between all the children, we actually got to talk for a bit also :)

Next weekend I would like to go to the mountains, but we shall see. DH has to travel for work so it depends when he gets back on Friday.

How was your weekend?

Rainwood, did you survive the birthday party?? They can be exhausting! And with ketchup everywhere... I (almost) never wear white dresses to those kind of things anymore, LOL.

Oh no. Forgot about a conference call, LOL. Gotta go now! Will be back later!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! It's Monday. Time to go back to reality for me. ;( ::)

Marcy, I LOVE your new band. Looks terrific. Love the rose gold against your skin tone and love the width. And it is very feminine too. Good call to wait and see how loose it gets in the winter. My fingers change so much with temps so that's why I either wear 1 band or 2 bands with my ER depending on how they are behaving on any particular day.

Glad you and Marty found a sturdy umbrella at a great price too. Good going. Must be nice having your house back to just you and Marty and I am glad you had a good visit with the in laws. So you are expecting guests again next weekend. That's nice you guys enjoy entertaining.

Haha sorry about your drain and floor mishaps yesterday but I cannot help but laugh as it sounds exactly like what I would and have done before. LOL. Glad you got the drain clear and the floors to finally stay clean. I like having a clean house after the cleaning crew comes but it doesn't stay that way long in our home with 4 cat. No matter how hard I try. Greg enjoys a clean home more than I do so it is him I feel sorry for. If the cleaning people didn't cost so much I would have them come more. It is expensive where we are IMO at least. They make more per hour than I do but then again that's not too hard to do. :cheeky:

Yay for your Wyoming rain keeping things nice and green though sideways torrential downpours can always be a bit scary. I used to enjoy a good rainstorm a lot more until I started thinking about all the animals who live outside and may not have proper shelter. Right now it is (and has been for the past 4 days) incredibly windy here. Well over 20 mph winds. I would guess they are 30 mph winds now and we are trying to trap the ferals this morning before we leave and I doubt we will have much luck before we leave but as I told Ann it cannot hurt to try right? She usually sets the traps in the afternoon but since we have seen Fresca eating around 5:30 AM when we put the food back after taking it away at night I thought we should try in the morning and we are not leaving till around 10:30 AM this morning for Brooklyn so we are going for it. Fingers crossed.

Hope you have a good Monday Marcy. No negative nellies at work for you OK? TTYL and enjoy your beautiful new band! :love:

Rainwood, I am so happy to read your post and see you are having a good visit full of activity and that you are enjoying the weekend. And I hope you had fun at the kids birthday party too. My sister used to have a joint birthday party for my nieces since they were born just a few weeks apart (different years) and the parties were full of screaming kids. But Greg and I enjoyed them for an hour or 2 and then it got to be a bit much with all the noise and screaming and running around. LOL getting old I guess. Looking forward to hearing how everything went this weekend. I love Canada and at one time really wanted to move to certain areas in Canada. I still have not crossed Victoria off my list of potential places to retire...Just hope they get a Costco there soon. :lol:

And haha yes I thought the same thing when I saw there are 5 kitties in that print. But I am not connecting with George (that's the temporary name Greg and I gave the little one) and the great news is Ann and her dh decided they *are* going to adopt Data (the white kitty with the gray tail) and Warf (the gray and white mix). So George is the only one left and Ann said her daughters MIL might adopt him. So yay and fingers crossed little George has a good home waiting for him and when they are ready to be adopted.

Scandinavian, I am glad you also enjoyed the weekend and sometimes having company and a weekend full of friends is just what the doctor ordered if you kwim. Gets our minds off things that are troubling us and puts us in a better frame of mind. Hope you catch up on your sleep this week and that you receive some good news re your log house situation. Your scenery is beautiful and I always enjoy seeing your photo of the day. Thank you for sharing it with us.

KaeKae, yes we usually come every weekend if possible and we are entertaining the next 2 weekends but let me know when you will be here and we will see if we can make it happen. Contact me via loupe troop if that works for you OK?

https://loupetroop.com/listings/other/for-kaekae

Junie, thinking of you and sending more love and hugs your way sweetheart.

OMG we trapped Fresca just now and Greg has covered him with a blanket but I cannot reach Ann. Oy! We left him in the shed in the trap and I just hope we can reach her soon. It is early but she said it was OK to try trapping them this early and to call her if we trapped any of the cats. In the meantime we have one trap left and are trying to trap Cola or another cat we have not yet trapped. Sammy and Squirt and Pepsi come around this time for food too and I sure don't want to re-trap them. Fingers crossed it all works out. And thank you girls for allowing me to go on and on about this topic. I appreciate it more than I can say and I hope you know that. Venting and sharing here is invaluable for me and my mental health. ::)

Yesterday Ann came for another visit with the kittens and George was incredibly vocal and unhappy when I picked him up to the point of wailing for an extended period of time. We thought he was hurt it was that loud and long. Yeah traumatic for him and me LOL. But Ann wanted to visit because she said the first visit really helped bring the kittens out of their shells and it is helping to socialize them so we were happy to help out. Ann finally figured out how to send the few pics she has of Sprite and the kittens right after they were born and then a month later so of course I am sharing here.

I hope you all have a good Monday and I will see you in Brooklyn. :wavey:

spritenursingthekittens.jpg

sprite1.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of nervous energy waiting to hear from Ann. So decided to share a few pics from yesterday's visit with her and the kitties. I took video too but cannot share that here. But here are a few kitty pics. They are adorable aren't they? :love: So sweet. But let me tell you when George opens his mouth OMG he can do some damage to our hearing. He is LOUD. :lol:

datauntyingannslaces.jpg

datawarfandgeorgeonann.jpg

dataandwarfonann.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, thank you for posting "the family pics!" They are unbelievably sweet, so so soft and kitten-ie. Fingers crossed Ann contacts you immediately regarding Fresca!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to say that all of us have recurring crap in our lives and not a single one of us ever has to apologize for bringing it here to the NIRDIs.

First off, we NIRDIs have life experience in pretty much everything life has to throw at a person---we have lots to offer each other. Secondly, we aren't judgie. Thirdly, we care about each other and so assume the best in each of us.

So I think each and every one of us should feel free to post what is going on in our lives. Sure, our spouses and SOs get tired of hearing us natter on about certain problems---thank God we can bring that stuff here. We'll get over it when we get over it :lol:

And isn't this how the NIRDI thread got going in the first place? (Speaking of which, Missy, when is your second accidentsary?)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Kristie, Ann came around 9:30 AM and picked up Fresca. Unfortunately at 3:00 PM today Pepsi got re-trapped. Poor Pepsi. He was so hungry that he went into the trap after just getting trapped a few weeks ago. We were already in NYC watching via camera so I called Ann and she came back released Pepsi and put the food back for the rest of the week. Ann decided to stop trapping at our house the rest of this week.

She said she would come back each night and remove the food to keep them used to showing up during the daylight. That's a long round trip every day and I told her she shouldn't do it but she said for me she will. She said she wouldn't be doing it for anyone else. LOL I guess I haven't driven her completely crazy yet. :oops:

She is waiting till we come back this Friday and we will start trying to trap the ferals again that day weather cooperating.

Of course as soon as Ann put the food back today and left guess who showed up? Cola (the other cat we are trying to trap) arrived and started eating. For 20 minutes straight eating. We just missed trapping her :(

But at least we got Fresca so woohoo for that. One cat at a time and doing the best we can. That's all we can do.

My accidentsary is June 27th (2014) I think. And my surgery anniversary is July 7th 2014. Woohoo. 2 years out and counting. Sometimes it feels like decades ago and sometimes it feels like just a few months ago. Time plays tricks on us. For example our vacation which was 18 days felt like 18 minutes. :lol:

(((Hugs))) to all you girls who are facing challenges and sending good vibes to every one of you.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi to all!

I'm home, safe and in one piece.

It was a great trip, including the birthday party. It was at a local community center that has a pre-school during the week so lots of things for the kids to do. And the big boys got to shoot hoops. I got a chance to have nice conversations with some of the extended family (broadly defined) I don't see very often. And one of the things that was particularly lovely was when my sister's 3-year old grandson (I think that makes him my great nephew?) came out on the terrace. I was talking to his grandfather (my sister's ex) and he came up and said "I need you to go over here with me" and I said "Your grandpa?" and he said "No, you!" And we ran over so he could show me something and we talked about it for a few minutes. That doesn't sound like much, but I don't see him very often and he's never interacted with me before, except to look at me without speaking. And it's even more special because he's autistic and he did that because he's decided I'm someone he feels safe with. It made my heart melt.

My niece knew something was different early in his life (she's a special ed teacher so knows of what she speaks) and Canada does a really good job of getting and funding treatment (all different kinds) for kids on the spectrum. He was tested and evaluated before he was 2 and started intensive treatment (something all five days of the workweek) shortly thereafter. The difference in just the last 6 months is amazing! I can't say enough about early intervention. It's so nice to see everyone's hard, hard work (including my sister's) helping him be such a happy, wonderful kid. My 4-year-old great niece, however, knows who I am, looks at me, and then goes off and does something else! Couldn't care less. It keeps me humble.

And one of the great things about travel outside the country is the chance to get that outside perspective. Everyone wanted to know what I thought about Trump then offered their own views. And on the trip up, I had a chance to talk about the upcoming UK vote on the EU with a couple and their adult daughter who were visiting from Wales. I really enjoy hearing those other voices and that's part of what I've missed not having traveled abroad in so long. So just a great trip.

Missy, it sounds like you've made exactly the right decision on the kittens. So good for you! And Ann is so dedicated that she must feel she's found kindred spirits in you and Greg.

Marcy, glad you got your ring and are pleased with it. Hope the size ends up being okay after you've worn it a bit. And it sounds like you had a nice visit from the in-laws. You are so lucky! My in-laws were local (my MIL is still alive at 94) so never came to stay with us, but both DH and I would have gone bonkers within the first 24 hours if they had. Our limit was about 3 hours because she was and still is a pill on a variety of levels.

Scandi, glad you'll have a chance to get some sleep. Twin babies would be such a handful! I really don't enjoy kids until they're 2 or 3, and only at that age if they aren't staying with me. By 4, I enjoy having them around until about 15 and then it depends on the kid. I love all the kids who are now young adults. It's so great to see them grow and mature and then be able to hang out with them and talk.

So that's all the news from my little corner of the country. I'll check in with everyone tomorrow.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

KaeKae, we do have a fast moving thread here. That is really cool you grew up in that area of the diner. There is a restaurant in Denver that brings out pickles to snack on while you wait for you food. I loved it since I love pickles. Thank you for the compliments about my ring.

Scandinavian, that shooting is so senseless and horrible. I wish someone could figure out how to stop crazy. I bet the summerhouse was busy and active with all those young ones running around. My sister says that is why we have no energy when we get old we run it all out as kids.

Missy, welcome back to reality. Good thing there is pretty bling to help you ease yourself back in to the world.

Thank you for the kind words about my band. It is amazing how much your finger can change due to weather and salt. The channel set band I wore with my last wedding set was more oval than round and in the summer I couldn’t get it on until late in the day. My current ering and 4 bands are a 1/2 size big so I don’t have that problem.

I don’t mind entertaining but I don’t mind when they go home either.

I know our houses are to live in but I do enjoy having it clean for part of a day.

I am glad Ann was able to get Fresca. She is awesome to go back and put out the food. Did you give her that present you got her? That is so awesome. Sorry one of the kitties wasn’t very happy but I know you enjoyed seeing them. Love the pictures.

My negative nellies are out in full force today. A lady from another department came in and asked a question and I guess old NN went off on her. Tomorrow she’s going to get an earful.

Wow, it doesn’t seem like it’s been 2 years in a few weeks. Time does fly (or not) depending on what it is.

Kristie, you are spot on about how nice it is to bring our “stuff” here to bounce off another NIRDI. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, we don’t judge people and we are here to offer support and hopefully some helpful ideas.

Rainwood, I am glad you made it home safe and sound. I am glad you had a nice time catching up with everyone and how sweet your great nephew felt safe with his Auntie Rainwood. Very cool. That is awesome to see such positive results in 6 months with the treatment they have given him.

My in-laws are okay and the layout of our house works well for company so we are only together in main rooms which is nice. I remember you said your MIL was not a nice lady. Lucky she was close enough to always go home.

I think the size for my ring will work out. I find I like my rings a bit loose anyway.

Hi to Calliecake, LLJsmom, Junebug and Sharon!

I had one of my difficult chats with an employee today and let them know they are not they are not performing to a level I expect of them and it needs to change. Went better than I thought. Tomorrow I get to take another employee aside and let them know if they get rude, snotty and snippy with anyone again the next conversation with be with HR and paperwork. People. :wall: :wall: I went to lunch with a friend of mine and we decided we should play Manager Bingo with “lines” we hear all the time. First one who gets a BINGO the other one has to buy them a drink. Heck we’ll be drinking all the time!

They called and said my glasses were ready to pick up. So far they seem pretty good. I can see my computer, the TV and to drive. Wow I can read my phone too. Sweet.

Have a great evening.
Marcy

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi NIRDI'S!!

Update on me:
I actually went to the gym and did 15 minutes of cardio a couple days. It felt GOOD. I think I will do it again tomorrow afternoon. One day at a time is helping me a lot, mentally. I've had several above average days. I'm going into the city tomorrow for a job interview. I'm kind of excited as the weather has been nice, so afterwards I might walk around a bit. I enjoy the city but DH doesn't. So that should be nice.

We went and saw the new X-Men Collapse movie and it was pretty good. Actually the movie was good, but the experience was nearly ruined for me by irresponsible parents. We went to the 7:15 showing that got out at 10:00pm. It's a PG-13 movie. There were TWO newborns under 3 months there. And 2 toddlers who could not keep quiet. The movie is all violence and loud explosions. And one of the newborns was sitting right in front of me. When she got fussy her mother gave her an ICEE. Right cause giving your kids sugar at 8:00pm is the way to prevent problems.

What is wrong with these parents? At 7:00 pm on a Sunday your kids should be preparing for bed.

Missy, I'm am in the eye of the storm. Hopefully, I'll come out the other side in better shape than I entered it. I don't know if I could do a Go Fund Me. I'll keep it in mind. I would feel strange asking for money for something other than an illness or an animal rescue situation. Thank you for the suggestions though, that's another reason why sharing troubles is good-- your friends have perspective and suggestions that you might not have considered. I really like that painting After Sundown.But that necklace is OMG stunning! You wanted to run off with it didn't you? I adore that Hemmingway qoute. Great job on Fresca's capture!!!!

Have you ever been to the Silver Diner? It's a local chain but I ADORED it. SIXTY MILES OF BIKE RIDING! Holy moly. That's amazing. The new kitten pictures are just adorable. Can't get enough of that.

What surgery are you having?

Cats on the beach is adorable.

Scandi, Hi! The view from the summer house-- the view is breathtaking. Children are very enjoyable, but also very exhausting. You need a vacation from your vacation? I will admit that I wish my parents would help. But they never have, not even a little, and never will. It's not even worth broaching the subject with them. Thank you for the suggestion though. My parents are... not the helpful sort. I'm usually just happy that they don't harm me or mine.

AZ stone, no worries hon. I didn't think you were being critical. I loved your post about what a supportive and safe place this thread is. That's why I wanted to join. It's a special "place."

Jimmiannie- ((HUGS)) back. Nice to hear from you.

Hi Marcy,
The band looks fantastic on you. I've thought about going on TV. I'm actually waiting for a couple things to happen (should be in next 9 months) and then I was thinking of reaching out to Elizabeth Warren's staff and seeing if they can get me on TV with my story.

Thanks for explaining about the in-laws. I always admire people who can live with their in-laws. I could probably live with my MIL if I had to, provided she had her own suite. And I do mean suite. LOL. Or maybe I'm delusional. I hate people in my space for longer than 5 days. It wears on me.

Yikes about the weather. Where are you (sorry if I don't recall). We could use some torrential rain here.

Junebug, thank you. The empathy and support from all of you are priceless. I really can't express that strongly enough. About your mother... even though it may seem strange, you might want to see if there are any "caregiver" support groups, it's a VERY hard thing to do dealing with that kind of demand and stress. Seriously. My family went through it with my grandmother and I'll never forget how hard it was. Make sure you plan as much time for yourself as you can. And look into some sort of 'relief' option so that once or twice a week you can get away and have some "me" time.

Hi Rainwood, I am happy you had a nice trip and that you are a back safe and sound. I often think more Americans need to go outside the US and spend time outside the "delusional echo chamber" of our country's politics.

There was an interesting article a while back about an Pastor from Georgia who went to Scandinavia and had his mind blown. Excerpt:
http://addictinginfo.org/2014/11/07/american-bible-thumper-travels-scandinavia-freaks-out-discovering-secular-video/

Hi Kaekae!

Hello to everyone else!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will catch up tomorrow but I wanted to thank you girls for being so supportive and kind, your comments are very comforting to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, you are all the best!

Missy, I'm sorry I missed your news about Fresca being trapped, I'm really glad! Ann is being so great and it's wonderful she's willing to make the trip to put the food away - it's because she sees how dedicated and caring you are about these ferals. :clap:

I hope you all have a great night and I will check in tomorrow!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... and so I try again :)

Hello and good morning :wavey:

Hope you had a good Monday? Mondays are not the easiest week day to make a good one, are they, lol. Mostly just working and trying to put in a bit of exercise this week.

Marcy, that new ring is sooooo nice :love: I love rose gold and I love diamonds. So combining them is perfect :love: And yes, the summerhouse was so busy it was unbelievable! Luckily, the weather was perfect, so we were outside a lot! There is a really big lawn there, so it is perfect for running around and playing. The big swing and the trampoline does not hurt either, lol. Anything to keep the children active and away from my coffee cup first thing in the morning :lol: But then again, having the inlaws over for several days sounds worse, lol. :Up_to_something: :lol: :Up_to_something: Your glasses sounds like a success so far :) More than some of the employees at least.. Let us know how it goes with the rude one.

Gypsy, so happy that you enjoyed the cardio! Here, we say that "the doorstep mile" is soooo long :lol: meaning that it is so hard to actually get up and leave the sofa / house, but that it is so nice and easy to go exercise when you just get past the doorstep :)
So exciting about that job interview of yours! You must tell us everything when you get back! And yes, I definitely need a vacation after this vacation, lol. I'm sorry that your parents don't deserve you. But than again. Life is not always fair. It just is what it is and we have to make the best of it! And the best of it can actually be quite good sometimes ;)) Like for example your DH sounds pretty amazing ;)) That article you linked to, LOL LOL "A Georgia-based pastor had his mind blown when he took a recent trip to Scandinavia and discovered, to his horror, that nobody hated gay people or believed God created the Earth in a week" I think he would indeed have had a very hard time finding anyone that believed the Earth was created in a week here in Scandinavia.

Missy, you are a wonderful person and you have a lot of passion and compassion. Please remember that the kitties are better off for having you, even when the world is not perfect. You give them your money, time and love. And they know that, even if they are having a bit of problems relating to people/humans. Otherwise, they would not come for food ;))
The pictures are sooooooo adorable!!! Thank you for sharing!! The white one is being told by his mother that you trapped her ;)) So not very trusting of Missy are we, LOL. No worries, just joking. They will all be just fine! It is very beautiful, so I'm sure you can find a home for him easily if you have to. Hugs!

Jimmianne, missy you and hope you are having a wonderful trip, taking tons of pictures and preparing to share them with us when you get back :)

Kristie, really like that post of yours! This thread is very helpful in so many ways!

Oh Rainwood, it is really something when the little ones show that you makes their heart melt too :halo: Just proves what a nice person you are! "Even" a 3 year old can see that :halo: Yes, children can be a handful, and they are not much fun until the diaper stage is finished, lol. Babies only eat, sleep and poop... :wall: :lol: :wall: Mine are 4 and 8 now, so they are easy to handle. We don't have too many rules, but they are well behaved, because I will not tollerate little brats... So they behave, and in return, so do we, LOL. We have had a wonderful kindergarden for them, and that really makes all the difference, that they are thought consideration and respect and kindness 24/7. Some of our friends had to move the children to a better kindergarden twice because the children were picking up too much misbehaving from the other children there :lol:

Gypsy, don't you love children screaming when you are trying to relax and watch a movie???? What is wrong with you ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

June, fingers crossed for a best possible case scenario! Hugs!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy :wavey:
One last picture from this weekend

20160612_151228.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! Happy Flag day. :bigsmile:

Rainwood, I'm glad you are home safely and had a good trip and had fun at the birthday party. I don't find it surprising at all that your 3 yo grandnephew went to you and wanted your company. Especially because he is autistic as I know they have an intuition about who they can and cannot trust and often know who the "good" guys are before the non ID population does. Working with the special population I do these are the observations I have made over the decades. So glad you clicked with him. It's great that Canada has wonderful early intervention for kids who need it and that it is making such a positive difference in your grandnephew's life. I can only imagine how the discussion about Trump went when you were chatting about politics with your family and friends outside of the USA. LOL I hope they realize that most of us think he is an awful choice for President. LOL about Ann and being a kindred spirit. Only when it comes to helping the kitties. But that's an important something and I am grateful we have found her. We couldn't do it all by ourselves. You know that saying it takes a village to raise a child well let's just expand that to include the feral kitties. ::)

Marcy, sorry your negative nellie was in full force at work today. Grrr. :nono: She is an ungrateful brat (to borrow Scandi's term) and I wonder how she would feel without this job. Haha I like your manager Bingo. Sounds like a fun game. :lol: I like my rings a bit looser vs tighter too. Your new RGWG ring is beautiful and I know you will get lots of enjoyment wearing it.Sounds like your home has the perfect layout for guests and that makes all the difference. Glad you enjoy having company and entertaining too. It can be very nice with the right guests. Good luck today with your employee chats continuing. I hope it goes better than yesterday. And YAY on the optician finally getting it right and having glasses you can see comfortably with...took them a long time but success. :appl:

Junie, thank you for checking in and sending more good thoughts and love your way. I know life is super busy for you right now getting your home ready for your mom's arrival. We are here for you whenever you want us to be and however you want us to be. (((HUGS))).

Gypsy, woohoo! That's terrific that doing cardio energized you and made you want to do more. Those endorphins really help! One day at a time is a platinum saying IMO and it really makes a difference. Manageable steps along the way. When I don't feel like working out I say to myself OK just do a little bit and then I keep going. It's a game I play with myself but it works when I am not feeling energized to start and once you get going you usually feel like continuing. And small chunks of time add up so yay for taking those first steps. :appl: I get that you are in the eye of the storm right now and for all you are going through I think you are doing great. No need to make a decision on anything like the Go Fund Me page right now. I just threw it out there because I knew that probably there would be a lot of people who wanted to help you in any way you can and that idea just came to my mind. I get that you feel more comfortable making those things about the animals and good causes that need the help but IMO you are as good a reason as any so that's why I shared that thought. Good luck on the job interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you!!!

I have never heard of the Silver Diner. Will check it out. LOL yes I wanted to abscond with the necklace but they have my address and phone number and full name. :lol: Seriously there is not one piece they have there I wouldn't want. Barbara and Toni have exquisite taste and I love all their antique pieces. The necklace cost more than the painting After Sundown if you can believe it. I really loved that painting and would have loved buying it but the timing is just not right fund wise. Not meant to be.

I am with you-what is wrong with some parents? That's one of the reasons we stopped going to the movie theater. Parents would bring their little babies and toddlers and kids to inappropriate movies because it was cheaper than getting a babysitter and then it becomes all of our problems. I remember once turning around and saying to a mother with her kids who were yelling and screaming through a film to please either remove them from the theater or make them be quiet (but preferably remove them as it isn't a kid appropriate film) so we could enjoy the film. And she went into a tirade on how it isn't easy being a single parent. Umm, OK, but what does that have to do with bringing them to a film suitable only for adults and allowing them to make so much noise? We are not in your living room and while I am sorry about your situation don't make it *my* problem OK? Anyway I was pissed and less than sympathetic because of her attitude. She feels the world owes her everything. Sorry but the world doesn't. ::)

I am hopefully not having any surgery in the future near or otherwise OMG the first surgery was more than enough for me with 4 days and nights in the hospital. Kristie was talking about the anniversary of my bike accident where I broke my tibia and fibula and the reason I started this thread almost 2 years ago. The Accidentsary. Fingers crossed none of the NIRDIs need any surgery for a very very long time!
When I start feeling down about things I try remembering how it felt during that time and I become quickly grateful for what life is like now despite all the trials and tribulations each day seems to bring it is still better than where I was a couple of years ago. And you will be there too soon Gypsy. Even if at times it doesn't feel like it. And we are here for you. (((HUGS))). Thinking of you today and wishing you buckets of good luck job dust on your interview(s)!!!

Thanks for that link on Lucy. She sure was fierce! A great role model for all of us. :appl:

Scandi, thank you for your encouragement yesterday. You are a sweetheart. Love your newest scenery photo. Beautiful. Serene and peaceful and lovely. I love your summer house. it is a wonderful vacation spot. Love what you said about not tolerating little brats. They behave and so do you. Priceless. 8-) And yes Scandinavia seems an amazing place to live. Nobody hates people for being true to who they are. Should all the NIRDIs just come to you? Say the word and we will be there! I just am not sure that your country would want us and I cannot blame them seeing our recent turn of political events. I never would have thought in a million years that Trump would have advanced to where he is right now. I might be looking for a new country very soon because there is no way we can put a positive spin on things if he gets elected. :errrr: Of course I still don't think he will be elected!

Greg and I have a dermatology appointment today. His is a 3 month body check and mine is a follow up. I am so tired already and the day is just beginning. Looking forward to bedtime tonight already LOL. :lol:

Here is a quick rundown of what happened yesterday after Ann removed the trap and replaced the food in the feeding station. OMG.
We decided it would be too much for Ann to return twice a day and take away the food and replace it each morning especially since she wouldn't be able to get there as early as we put the food out so she is just going to return on Thursday evening to remove the food getting our cats ready for trapping when we get there on Friday. Here is what happened after she left our house yesterday. We have a busy feeding station and some very hungry kitties. That is for certain.

1. Cola came around 4 PM and ate for about 20 minutes

2. Pepsi (the cat Ann released from the trap yesterday) returned around 4:30 PM and ate (he was hungry!)

3. Sammy came and ate around 5PM

4. Dr Pepper (we think) came around 9PM and ate...the kitty that only eats at night. She never showed up during daylight hours even when we removed the food at night. No clue where she ate the 4-5 nights there was no food in the feeding station...

5. Another cat ate last night who looks like Fresca from the pics we see on the night camera around 10 PM. No clue who he/she is.
On the night camera hard to make out details and we cannot see color of course.

6. Raccoons fed throughout the night a few times

7. Another cat around midnight who we don't know...maybe Ginger? Cannot tell on night camera

8. At 3:30 AM the Fresca look alike ate

9. Sammy at 4:30 AM was eating again

10. Cola at 5:30 AM eating again

I hope everyone enjoys a good Tuesday. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: Ann asked for a running list of who is eating when so we optimize our chances of trapping who we need to. Greg is the one going through the security pics. Just wanted to clarify.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone - I'm really behind but I wanted to just check in with you all so I'll just jump back in -

Missy, I'm so glad you found Ann and have some support with the ferals, it makes such a huge difference having someone to help you in the TNR effort. You really are making such a difference in their lives through all your efforts and I admire you so much for all you are doing. The pics of the kittens are absolutely adorable, they are just so sweet.

I love the pics of the view from the beach house, so beautiful and peaceful. Wow, your vacation has gone by quickly, it seems like it just started a few days ago to me! Can't believe how quickly time goes by.

And I can't believe it's coming up on 2 years since your accident - I am so happy about how far you've come since those very difficult days, it's amazing.

Thanks for your support missy and for being so willing to listen to me go on about this - I'm trying hard to just take one day at a time and see how things go. It's hard but worrying and stressing so much obviously isn't going to help.

LLJsmom, thank you for your kindness, I will try my best to make this work but have to also acknowledge I might not be able to do this - and try not to feel guilty or like a failure if I can't.

Scandi, love the pics from the beach house, so pretty. I'm glad you had a good time with your guests and it sounds like it was a nice break and a good distraction for you. I hope you can make it to the mountains this weekend. Thank you for your supportive words about having my mother at my house, I appreciate it.

Rainwood, thanks for the reassurance. I so appreciate it - and yes, this period of life does present difficult challenges. It's my understanding that medicare will not cover NH or AL but I will look into it again. My mother would need to apply for medicaid and there's a look back period that is complicating the issue.

I'm so glad to hear you had a good weekend and a nice time at the party. Sounds like it was good for you to be out and about and visiting with family and I'm glad it was an enjoyable experience. How sweet that your great nephew interacted with you and wanted to spend time with you. I'm so happy to that he received early intervention and has benefited so much from it. So fortunate that your niece is a professional and was able to recognize there was a potential issue early on.

Would you mind sharing the supplement you mentioned a few posts back? I was at my mother's last night and gave her 3 mg of melatonin and it was ineffective. I can try the melatonin on a regular basis when she's at my house but I'm not holding out much hope. In the meantime I can contact her doctor about the supplement you used to see if it's safe for her to take.

Marcy, love the pics of your band, it really is so pretty and looks great on you. I'm glad the visit with the in-laws went well, it sounds like it was a nice time for everyone. Ugh, I'm so sorry your employees are continuing to be such a source of frustration for you and I hope you can get through to them and they change their attitude and behavior.

Kristie, thanks for making me feel comfortable about sharing what's going on with me, I don't want to overdo it but it does help to share how I'm feeling. I hope things are going well for you, please give your sweet westies some extra pets and hugs for me.

Gypsy, I'm so glad you enjoyed the cardio and felt good after doing it! That's fantastic. It's good to hear you've been having some good days. It's really hard for me to get started but I do feel better once I've exercised. I just do 30 minute dvd every day (well, ok, I miss a day here and there lol) but it does help relieve stress and improve my mood. It's so great you've taken that first step of getting started, I know how hard it is to get motivated. Sending lots of dust for a good interview tomorrow. Enjoy your trip to the city too - I'm with you, beautiful weather really does make you feel energized and just really good!

And thanks so much for the support and understanding; it really helps to hear from someone who has experienced caring for an elderly relative. Your suggestion of a support group is an excellent one and I'm going to look into it. Just talking with others about all the issues involved will be such a help and make me feel less alone. And yes, I am definitely going to make every effort to focus on myself as well as my mother and make sure I can get away and do something just for me, even if it's just going to Panera for a sandwich lol.

Thinking of Jimmianne and hoping she's having a wonderful time.

Hope everyone is having a good night, take care all!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Gypsy, I am so glad you enjoyed going to the gym and it brightened your day. Good luck with your job interview.

I hate going to movies that is packed with ruiners. I always seem to end up in front of them.

You never know how much help or support you and others in the same situation can get from getting the story on air. There is a lady on one of the Denver news channels that investigates all sorts of interesting stories some of which make me think she probably needs a body guard.

I’d say 5 days is a reasonable time for company to stay too.

I live in Wyoming. Yes you could use some rain where you live.

I’ll go read the link you posted about Lucy. I watched the candy episode again today. You can’t help but laugh.

Junebug, we are always here for you and sending you lots of PS Dust and Hugs!

I had a new employee start yesterday who might turn out to be a dream employee. He is very shy and timid; rarely talks. He is very accurate and it doesn’t matter if you give him 10 things to do or a 1000 he’ll get it done. He worked for my boss in another department and because of his accuracy and not being chatty my boss thought he might be great in my department. Let’s hope he doesn’t get all stressed from NN. The other lady I talked to yesterday and told her she wasn’t a team leader anymore was happy as can be today.

Scandinavian, thank you for the kind words about my new band. The summerhouse sounds like a perfect get away for all. That is fabulous. I am still happy with the vision of my new glasses but they are kind of giving me a headache. I need to go get some of those stick on pads for the nose pieces. My rude one got a pass until their one on one next week. I talked to the girl she was rude to yesterday and it was her useful snippy stuff not a total out of line situation so I’ll cover it on Tuesday. And she went home sick early anyway. That’s good you make your children behave. Trust me I run in to people who have kids that I don’t think know the word “No!”

Love your summerhouse picture.

Missy, we are on the same wavelength about my negative nellie. I know she can’t afford to miss work so I am going to check with HR if I can suspend her when she acts up. That might get her attention more quickly than anything. She’s worked for me for 4 years and I guarantee if I went through my notes I have talked to her about this multiple times.

I definitely need to get my manager Bingo card made.

You probably saw above the ole NN got a pass until Tuesday but she’s going to get an ear full.

I cleaned the buttons on my work phone today since I can see closeup better it was like - yuck! Those are dirty. Old company phones if YKWIM.

I am glad you spoke up to that lady at the movies. On our flight to Arizona last spring the kids behind me kept kicking my seat and mom and dad paid no attention to him. We often eat in the bar at restaurants to get away from screaming kids.

Ann is a keeper for all she is doing to help out the kitties. She also has to think you and Greg are saints for everything you do for the soda gang.

I was crazy busy at work today - either getting things set up for the new employee or explaining to corporate how one little thing we did today created a big problem for them. I hardly got anything done but I did watch / listen to that Lucy candy episode again.

I also listened / watch the movie Guardian. If you haven’t seen that movie I’d recommend it. It’s got Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.

Marty made us a fabulous dinner. Wheat buns, hamburger, a little cheddar cheese, a piece of bacon, tomato and pickles. Mmm. We had a dish of slow churned rocky road ice cream.

Have a great evening.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, thanks for the link on Lucy. I'll have to watch the clip after Marty goes to bed. She was a trail blazer for sure and it is a testament to her comedic skills that her show is still on the air and loved by all generations.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like I'm going to be the closing up tonight as Marcy and Gypsy have already posted. I'll be sure to turn the lights out.

Missy, I laughed when you came back to add it was Greg looking at the security video. I know that was for my benefit so thank you! And I'm so happy you seem to be in a better place about the ferals. You really are doing the best you can. And welcome back to Brooklyn! It must be so hard coming back from a nice, relaxing vacation. And thanks for the nice words about my great nephew. I'm so glad he is doing well. It is a major time commitment for both my sister and my niece, but it's so clearly worth it.

Junie, the supplement my naturopath recommended is called Seriphos by InterPlexus. It's actually labeled for adrenal support, but she wanted me to try it for changing my sleep cycle. The label says its 1000 mg of a proprietary blend of phosphorylated serine and etahnolamine. If I remember right, the original recommended dosage from my naturopath was 2 tablets 4 hours before I wanted to go to sleep then another one 1 hour before bedtime. I found I got so sleepy within an hour of taking it so we changed it to 1 or 2 an hour before I go to bed. It is possible to power through it and it doesn't have any fogginess in the morning. But if the doctor says okay, you might want to try it.

Marcy, I love your manager bingo game! Anything to help. And I hope your NN straightens out. But I really hope even more your new employee turns out to be great, and maybe a new kind of role model for the others. Sometimes one new person can really change the dynamic. And the new glasses sound you're adjusting. It can be tricky.

Scandi, love all those photos. And glad you had a good time with your company for the weekend. I'll be on the island this coming weekend with my youngest niece, her husband, and his 4-year old daughter. She's stayed with me before, but never on the island. I'm hoping they find enough fun things to do. I'm not sure if his daughter is a nature girl. I'm hoping so because that's what i have the most of over there. Any suggestions?

Gypsy, so glad you've started getting some exercise and feeling better. It does help to be able to come here, talk about it and get support and advice. The same way it does help to take those first steps (literally). Good for you!

I've spent a good portion of today dealing with neighborhood crime. We've had some break-ins the last few weeks (one of the houses occupied, but the homeowners sleeping through it), and we've always had a lot of car break-ins (older houses rarely have large enough, usable garages), but we've also had 2 SWAT team episodes in the last few months (the most recent was last night, just a few hundred yards from my house and I read and slept through the whole thing!) Nothing where any of us were in actual danger, but a lot of people are freaking out, and I'm in charge of the neighborhood e-mail list where everyone shares information, including about crime. For whatever reason, I'm just not sweating it the way some people are. I've been through so much that I'm just not worried about this kind of stuff. Our house was built with security in mind, I have a security system, and I've been here 30 years with no problems. So I'm just not going to stress about it. Burglars are a fact of life in the city, even in the supposedly "safe" neighborhoods, and people need to be smart and, in some cases, smarter. But everybody feels like they need to "do" something. So it will be interesting if people actually follow up on what they're suggesting (don't worry, we are not a "guns" kind of neighborhood so that is not one of the options people are talking about). I'm staying out of it, and see if it dies out on its own like all the other times.

So that's it for me. I'll turn off the lights and lock up for the night. See you in the morning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls.

Marcy, sounds hopeful and I hope that new employee does turn out to be your dream employee. You deserve a break in that department! Hoping today goes well with the NN. I clean the phone and the computer keyboard with alcohol pads every work day. It is gross. :knockout:

We were watching (not finished but only about 40 minutes left) an entertaining movie last night called "The Martian" with Matt Damon. So good. Greg read the book and didn't like it but he is enjoying the movie very much. Interesting case where the movie is better than the book at least for Greg. I haven't read the book. I love the movie so far though. Lots of numbers and figuring things out and that is right up my alley. I always enjoy mathematical problems.

Junie, hey there. How are you doing? Glad you are going to take care of yourself too and make some time each day for just you. I think it is critical. Even if it is just to close your door, put on a favorite record and relax enjoying the music. We are here for you. With all the different time zones represented here you know there will always be someone awake and ready for listening and talking. (((HUGS))).

Rainwood, Thanks for turning the lights out and locking up last night. I am now opening for the morning and putting those lights back on but more importantly opening the blinds and windows letting the sunshine come through. :halo:

I am glad you have a secure burglar system and that is the best defense. You are right that even in the best neighborhoods there is crime. In fact the smart burglars go to the nicest area for the best loot I would think. Your neighborhood is smart having you in charge of things. I would feel safe and secure knowing you were taking control of collecting and sharing info with everyone. I am glad you are calm and not stressing about it. There is so much happening everywhere that non violent crime seems the best type of crime and I totally get what you are saying when you write having been through so much this isn't a biggie. As long as no one is hurt that's the main thing. Whenever I get stressed and upset Greg says to me are you hurt? Are you bleeding? No OK then everything is going to be OK and don't be upset. Something like that LOL and it works in calming me down. I can even calm myself down usually by this point.

And yes that is why I added my previous post haha. Ann wants a running account so Greg is keeping me posted. We have another issue but not totally surprising. Cola is pregnant. I am not pleased and Ann is now thinking we cannot trap her before she gives birth and that means the babies will be born outside and then we have to let Cola nurse them before trapping her (so around 8 weeks or so after she gives birth) or them and that will make it even harder to domesticate if we even can catch them at that point. A big problem now is retrapping those we already caught and released so that complicates everything. And withholding food with Cola pregnant is not good so we might not be able to continue this round. I am frustrated because we were so close to trapping Cola Monday but after Pepsi was re-trapped and Ann released him she decided to stop with trapping for a while at our location and then Cola arrived but the trap was gone and she just ate and ate and ate at the feeding station. That's when I noticed how big she looked and emailed pics to Ann who confirmed she is pregnant. Sigh. :cry:

colapregnant.jpg

We went to the dermatologist (David) yesterday morning where unfortunately our dermatologist found a suspicious growth on Greg's arm that had changed from the last visit. It just so happened Greg's other dermatologist (Greg has 2 dermatologists who he alternates seeing for a second set of eyes) was in the office that day too so David called him in for a second opinion and the consensus was to remove it and biopsy since it is suspicious. So David cut it out and we are waiting for biopsy results. The data on melanoma shows Greg is very likely to have a recurrence because once you have one you have a great likelihood of having others. So of course the key is finding them as soon as possible so it can be removed thoroughly. If the biopsy is negative great if not Greg has to see his oncologist and have a more complete surgical removal. Fingers crossed it is negative.

Ann emailed me a cute photo yesterday of Sprite's 3 kittens. As she was opening their can of wet food for dinner this is what they were doing. LOL. She even wrote that King George (in the center) was pleased with the food choice. :lol:

kinggeorgedataandwarfwaitingfortheircannedfood.jpg

Jimmianne, so glad you are having the best time in France and thank you for taking pics of the vintage bikes for me. Not sharing your secret here but just telling the girls how great a time you are having and that you might have a surprise to share when you return. Hugs and enjoy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today's kitty rundown I am sending to Ann. It's not looking good. One step forward 5 steps backwards it seems. :wall:

1. Today Cola 6AM and she is eating right now at 6:12 AM still eating.

2. Dr Pepper 4AM

3. Unknown cat 3:45 AM

4. Dr Pepper at 3:30 AM again

5. Fresca look alike 2:30 AM

6. RootBeer at 2 AM

7. Unknown cat at 1 AM

8. Fresca look alike 12:30 AM

9. Seven Up at midnight

10. RootBeer again at 11:30 PM

11. Dr Pepper again at 10 PM

12. Fresca look alike at 9:30 PM

13. Unknown cat at 9 PM

14. Another Fresca look alike at 8:30 PM

15. Sammy at 8 PM

16. Dr Pepper at 7 PM

17. Cola at 6PM

18. Pepsi at 6PM

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning everyone :wavey:

It's been too long I needed my NIRDI fix ::)

I'll answer the comments that stood out to me...

june - you'll do the best you can. I hope you don't feel like a failure. You have to know and be OK with what you can and cannot do. Easier said than done I know. It's brave of you to acknowledge.

gypsy! So cool about the cardio! Yay.

scandi now you're making me want to visit your country, the views are incredible.

missy I am...I don't know what I'm feeling at hearing about Greg's mole. I hope it's nothing. Glad that you're so diligent about getting checked. Please keep us updated.

And sorry to hear about the kitty problems, even though there are still so many moments of joy. (those pink toes on those kittens! so cute)

marcy so glad to hear that your new employee seems to be working out and is easy to deal with AND gets things done.

Hello everyone else! Have a great day.

ETA: rainwood I had completely missed your post about the burglaries. I'm glad to hear you're not sweating it like everyone else, and that you have a good system. Still, be super careful.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be back later to catch up but just wanted to say -

Missy, I'm keeping Greg in my thoughts - He keeps up with his check-ups and stays on top of things so I'm very hopeful this was caught in time and everything will be ok. I'm sorry about Cola, try not to stress too much - there is so much about this situation that's out of your control and at the end of the day all you can do is try your best, which you are certainly doing. Hugs to you sweetie, thinking of you.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I've been thinking about the student loan debacle going on since your post. This is a clear-cut case of where government needed/needs to stop it. We have government controls on the lending of money for usery and this latest wrinkle on predatory lending is no different. Even the IRS makes deals with citizens when the scenario becomes one of never being able to pay down the principal debt and get clear of it.

"Interests" and corporations now run this country. The NRA, pharmaceutical companies (don't get me started on the issue of no new antibiotics being developed with one remaining that works today), Big Food, and the insurance industry have changed America into a country of gun-toting, fat wage slaves who would be canon fodder for the next world war if only they weren't too fat to get off the couch and put the SuperBigGulpInstantDiabetic soft drink down.

This is why I don't get terribly worked up over who is president---its my experience after 10 years in government that the biggest wallet wins when it comes to corporate interests versus public good/benefit. Gypsy's situation is a prime example of this.

The really galling issue over the pharmaceutical corporations is that for decades they took government-paid research and used it to generate drugs/medications, increasing their profitability in doing so---they only come in at the end of research and development. They turn around and claim they "own" those particular formulations when in reality WE OWN IT, WE PAID FOR IT. You'll NEVER see a cure for diabetes in this lifetime because the diabetes industry is a multi-billion $ industry between monitoring equipment, insulins, glucose lowering drugs and supplements, etc. Another clear case of where government is needed to intervene for the public good.

Ack. I clearly need to get moved out of the good old USofA. Victoria/BC here I come :D Don't worry, Sharon, I'm bringing my money with me, I won't be a burden on Canadian society :lol:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, tons of good luck and dust to Greg!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, first I want to say my fingers, toes, and eyes are crossed that Greg's biopsy results show it is benign. But, if not, you've been through this before and he's going to be fine. It's impossible not to worry, but don't fixate on worst case scenario (learned this the very hard way).

And I just thought of something. Is it possible to put together a feeding station that has a "door" controlled by a radio collar like they do with some doggie doors? The ferals could be trapped for TNR but also to put the radio collars on the cats you want to continue to feed. But not the raccoons, possums, or cats you don't. Then you control who has access. There might be a few free riders who get in behind a collared cat, but it would control most of the feeding you'd rather not have. Run it past Greg and see what he thinks.

Also, very intriguing tidbit of news about Jimmianne. Is there a Frenchman involved?

And Kristie, if you move to Victoria, bring lots of money and a tent! That's where I just came back from. Housing has gone through the roof because Victoria has usually had more demand than supply, but now they have all the people priced out of Vancouver coming over, and it's almost impossible to find anything to buy or rent. One of my nieces and her family have to move because their landlord is moving back into their unit. They went to a rental open house - yes, an open house for a rental - and the house was expensive and not very nice, but 125 people showed up! FOR A RENTAL. They don't know how they're going to find a new place. And it may be the retirement capital of Canada because it has the warmest weather, but "warm" is relative. Especially when you're from AZ.

CJ, glad to see you pop by!

Junie, hang in there. I'm not sure what program allowed people to be at my mom's memory support center without paying. It could have been Medicaid (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Medicare), but it might also have been some other kind of private program where they had to include low-income people as a trade-off for something else they wanted. All I know is that some people did not have to pay the $11,000+ per month that we were. I'd also been told there was a long waitlist so hadn't bothered in the original rush to find a place for Mom, but there is a fair amount of turnover so when the private group home wasn't working out, I decided to take a chance and call. Turns out they'd just had an opening. It was the worst half of a shared room on the less great side of the wing, but within a month or so we were able to get her a single room on the other side looking out to the pretty garden. So all I'm saying is it never hurts to ask or research a place you think is too much money or has no room. You never know.

Chat with everyone later.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1466010024|4044350 said:
Gypsy, I've been thinking about the student loan debacle going on since your post. This is a clear-cut case of where government needed/needs to stop it. We have government controls on the lending of money for usery and this latest wrinkle on predatory lending is no different. Even the IRS makes deals with citizens when the scenario becomes one of never being able to pay down the principal debt and get clear of it.

"Interests" and corporations now run this country. The NRA, pharmaceutical companies (don't get me started on the issue of no new antibiotics being developed with one remaining that works today), Big Food, and the insurance industry have changed America into a country of gun-toting, fat wage slaves who would be canon fodder for the next world war if only they weren't too fat to get off the couch and put the SuperBigGulpInstantDiabetic soft drink down.

This is why I don't get terribly worked up over who is president---its my experience after 10 years in government that the biggest wallet wins when it comes to corporate interests versus public good/benefit. Gypsy's situation is a prime example of this.

The really galling issue over the pharmaceutical corporations is that for decades they took government-paid research and used it to generate drugs/medications, increasing their profitability in doing so---they only come in at the end of research and development. They turn around and claim they "own" those particular formulations when in reality WE OWN IT, WE PAID FOR IT. You'll NEVER see a cure for diabetes in this lifetime because the diabetes industry is a multi-billion $ industry between monitoring equipment, insulins, glucose lowering drugs and supplements, etc. Another clear case of where government is needed to intervene for the public good.

Ack. I clearly need to get moved out of the good old USofA. Victoria/BC here I come :D Don't worry, Sharon, I'm bringing my money with me, I won't be a burden on Canadian society :lol:

LOL...how did you know I was talking to my sista about BC again today??? You'll need a warm coat for sure...I think Kelowna might be a good alternative choice. Good wine! Coast is just too cold for us!! (my sister always shows us the "gorgeous" photos of Vangroovie, but never sends me pictures of when it is rain and grey!!)

cheers--Sharon

PS hello to all the NIRDI's and positive/healing vibes Greg's way! :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainwood, CRAPPERS, and thank you for the headsup! Back in 1996 DH and I got married in Victoria, our fave get-away from our home in Alaska. We seriously debated moving there in 1997 and I'm so bummed we didn't go for it. We were priced out of Seattle at that time. We got married at The Oak Bay Beach Hotel and we went to take pics on the beach after the wedding and there were lots and lots of elderly people having a nice walk on the beach and DH and I thought Victoria must be a LOVELY spot for retiring, between the weather and safeness of the place.

Shoot, I have to now strike it off my short list. :angryfire:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1466019485|4044411 said:
Also, very intriguing tidbit of news about Jimmianne. Is there a Frenchman involved?

And Kristie, if you move to Victoria, bring lots of money and a tent! That's where I just came back from. Housing has gone through the roof because Victoria has usually had more demand than supply, but now they have all the people priced out of Vancouver coming over, and it's almost impossible to find anything to buy or rent. One of my nieces and her family have to move because their landlord is moving back into their unit. They went to a rental open house - yes, an open house for a rental - and the house was expensive and not very nice, but 125 people showed up! FOR A RENTAL. They don't know how they're going to find a new place. And it may be the retirement capital of Canada because it has the warmest weather, but "warm" is relative. Especially when you're from AZ.

May need a tent...for sure....

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/lawlessness-in-lotusland-group-mad-as-hell-over-massive-tent-city-in-victoria

Chat with everyone later.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, my maternal great-grandmother was born in Toronto and came to Los Angeles as a young mother---I was going to try to ride her coattails back to Canada :sun:

I was in Vancouver 2 years ago for DH's 50th and we were amazed at the crowding there. When I was down near the water at one of the big hotels for cocktail hour, a homeless woman grabbed my NECK, it shook me up. A storekeeper wanted to call the police and I just wanted to get out of there and get on with the evening as best I could. Then the next day when we were waiting to cross the street to go into Tiffany, there were two Asian young women standing next to us at the light and a car pulled up and the window rolled down and a senior citizen woman let loose with the most ugly and foul racist attack on those women, it was awful. I left with no real desire to go back to Vancouver although you could get me to Whistler again any old day of the week.

Every place that has good weather and safe living conditions is becoming impossible for retirement. I was born and raised in CA and I can't go back there, too expensive and mostly crowded with the problems you get from too many people crammed into a small location. Oregon is now off the ticket between the Cascade fault issue and housing/tax issues. Washington is a slim possibility although the Cascade fault issue rules it out too; the places that are affordable for housing are not my kinda peeps so there's that.

Rainwood, have you been to Sequim? My friends from Anchorage love Sequim but I looked for housing there and that would be a buy a lot/build your own exercise, which I suppose isn't out of the question for me but OTH I like having a Costco nearby and Whole Foods and Nordie's too---Sequim misses on that and the road situation for Sequim is restrictive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results