shape
carat
color
clarity

Northeast US - Henri might be the one to watch!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
And that concert in NYC is back on ?
I think everyone should just head home

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @Babyblue033 posted, Henri's path has shifted to the East. Like her, I will be affected by receiving less powerful wind and more rain. (If the storm doesn't decide to move again.) The wind will certainly be powerful enough to down trees that have been sitting in saturated ground, I am sure, but I am grateful that we may not get the full brunt of a hurricane. One of my male friends was talking on the phone with his son last night. His house is on the water. They were talking about all the usual precautions they take, bringing in boats and doing things with water that floods the cellar. At one point my friend's son said that this was only a Category One. I guess some people are used to hurricanes. I mean I know people who live in hurricane prone areas are. We in New England are not.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF even I sweat a Cat 1 because it can be pretty damaging. Lots of TS are like our afternoon downpours here, which can still be pretty damaging. But still, its never an "ONLY". Its not a Cat 4, but Cat 1's are still quite dangerous to areas not built to handle them.

@Babyblue033 stronger storms tend to shift east. Thats great for some, not so great for others, but may give it a tiny bit more time over water . Since water is colder up there, it gives more chance for the storm to weaken.

@missy is that an area known for its flooding? thats a heck of a lot of water!

https://poweroutage.us/ few power outrages in NJ but nothing too serious at the moment.

Lots of prayer for you guys up there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian it must be a low lying area. I’m not familiar with the area. Our home in Brooklyn is on a hill so I know it’s safe there. Brooklyn is huge though so yeah there were areas hit hard during Sandy. I’m calling my parents as soon as the hour becomes reasonable. They are in a flood prone area so I’m concerned for their safety. And they’re stubborn as heck.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Our best purchase to date is our Generac whole house generator. During Sandy we had no power for 16 days but our generator kept the power going for us and helped out our neighbors too. I always hope we won't need it but grateful we have it for backup.

I think it will be clear by then.

"The storm will weaken with gusty rain lingering Monday but drift east to the Gulf of Maine and sun returns Tuesday."

Stay safe everyone and let's hope it isn't as bad as predicted.

We have one, too. Best thing ever!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian it must be a low lying area. I’m not familiar with the area. Our home in Brooklyn is on a hill so I know it’s safe there. Brooklyn is huge though so yeah there were areas hit hard during Sandy. I’m calling my parents as soon as the hour becomes reasonable. They are in a flood prone area so I’m concerned for their safety. And they’re stubborn as heck.

Praying your parents are safe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Praying your parents are safe.

Aww thank you @Diamond Girl 21. I really appreciate your good wishes. They flooded but they are safe.

My poor 87 yo dad and mom were cleaning up last night and this morning and had their plumber there last night. They are across from the water and flooding happens there.

I wish they would move. They are too old to take care of that house by themselves and we are too far away to be of much use. But at least they are OK though I am worried about them working so hard at their age. My mom said it was a miracle my dad didn't have a heart attack with all the physical work he was doing during the flooding. Oy to the vey. Did I mention how stubborn they are?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thank you @Diamond Girl 21. I really appreciate your good wishes. They flooded but they are safe.

My poor 87 yo dad and mom were cleaning up last night and this morning and had their plumber there last night. They are across from the water and flooding happens there.

I wish they would move. They are too old to take care of that house by themselves and we are too far away to be of much use. But at least they are OK though I am worried about them working so hard at their age. My mom said it was a miracle my dad didn't have a heart attack with all the physical work he was doing during the flooding. Oy to the vey. Did I mention how stubborn they are?

I'm so glad they are OK. My parents were stubborn too, so I totally get how you feel. ❤

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to report that so far (Long Island) it hasn't been too bad. Plenty of rain but power is still on and no flooding for us. I did see that a NEW all time record for rainfall in one hour was set for Central Park, nearly 2" in an HOUR.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your folks are ok @missy and I agree that moving them might be better but I know stubborn well!
Happy to report it’s relatively quiet up here. Lots of rain but the wind is light to moderate. Let’s hope the trend continues for us and I also hope our CT friends are ok!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here in metrowest MA. lots of rain, light winds so far. Fingers crossed that the power stays on.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far not too bad here in CT, lots of rain but the wind isn’t going to really ramp up until this afternoon. I told the kids to play on their Switches in case we lose power later.

DH is stationed at a park in Brooklyn, he said the park is very active, lots of people jogging, walking their dog or just out for a stroll.

9483EECC-4097-4C10-B53B-CECC8F4000D8.jpeg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm glad they're ok. Sorry they're being stubborn, sometimes all you want is to make sure they're safe but you can't make them do what they don't want to do...

Happy to report that so far (Long Island) it hasn't been too bad. Plenty of rain but power is still on and no flooding for us. I did see that a NEW all time record for rainfall in one hour was set for Central Park, nearly 2" in an HOUR.
Stay safe! Since we spent all day yesterday frantically prepping, we're just taking it easy today now that we know we'll most likely be fine. Kind of relaxing watching the rain come down altho the kids are disappointed and got cabin fever :eek-2:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad they're ok. Sorry they're being stubborn, sometimes all you want is to make sure they're safe but you can't make them do what they don't want to do...

Stay safe! Since we spent all day yesterday frantically prepping, we're just taking it easy today now that we know we'll most likely be fine. Kind of relaxing watching the rain come down altho the kids are disappointed and got cabin fever :eek-2:

Oh same, my living room is an "obstacle course" right now

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad I have power and cable so that I have been able to stay on-line and in touch with everyone so far. The storm is not at all bad where I am, at least yet. Just tons of rain. That may produce deleterious effects later. It may already have produced them in parts of the town I cannot see. I have no idea what the storm surge did. High tide was at around noon, just an hour ago. Reports from people on the direct waterfront will come in tomorrow. So will some of the reports of trees that have already come down due to the saturated ground. They may be blocking roads and I hope none have come down on top of cars with people in them. But I don't see branches flying wildly in my yard the way I often do during storms. At least not yet. And the wind isn't howling as it often does during storms. So far, we seem to have gotten off lightly. Fingers crossed. Prayers outgoing to all those who are badly hurt by Henri.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WTNT63 KNHC 221628
TCUAT3

Tropical Storm Henri Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL082021
1230 PM EDT Sun Aug 22 2021

...TROPICAL STORM HENRI MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF RHODE
ISLAND NEAR WESTERLY...

Data from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft, NOAA Doppler
weather radars, and surface observations indicate that the center of
Tropical Storm Henri made landfall along the coast of Rhode Island
near Westerly at approximately 1215 PM EDT this afternoon. At the
time of landfall, maximum sustained winds were estimated to be 60
mph.

A Weatherflow station near Point Judith, Rhode Island, recently
measured a sustained wind of 57 mph (92 km/h) and a gust to 70 mph
(113 km/h). The center of Henri passed over Block Island, Rhode
Island, around 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC.

SUMMARY OF 1215 PM EDT...1615 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...41.3N 71.8W
ABOUT 15 MI...25 KM NNE OF MONTAUK POINT NEW YORK
ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM SSW OF PROVIDENCE RHODE ISLAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...989 MB...29.20 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Stewart/Brennan

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RI has 80K customers without power
CT has 28K customers without power
MA has 10K customers without power
CA has 14K customers without power (is that because of the fires there?)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada
What's going on? I hope you are all OK!

Actually we are all good, thanks for checking in. This storm was nothing for us but I think it depends on where exactly you are in CT.

We are in the middle of the state so it seems we were spared the worst thank God!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

How are your mom and dad this morning Missy ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So far not too bad here in CT, lots of rain but the wind isn’t going to really ramp up until this afternoon. I told the kids to play on their Switches in case we lose power later.

DH is stationed at a park in Brooklyn, he said the park is very active, lots of people jogging, walking their dog or just out for a stroll.

9483EECC-4097-4C10-B53B-CECC8F4000D8.jpeg

That's a really pretty picture
Should be on an i love Brooklyn postcard

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

How many floods have they lived through there ?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping all is doing well. The only thing I've read is that the rain will be considerable for the area from here on out. Family/friends in Mass is doing well from what we've heard.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many floods have they lived through there ?

When I lived there (1967-1982) we had no floods that I can remember. But starting before Sandy a number of floods and Sandy was the mother flood of them all. Their entire basement and over 6 feet of water. They refused to evacuate (their neighborhood was asked to evacuate) and even after having lived through Sandy (and they called me in a panic during Sandy when the water was rising and they didn't know how high it would go and they were prisoners in the house...couldn't leave as the water was over 6 feet and rising) they said they would do it again. Not abandon the house. Of course they have many animals but still. We told them (before Sandy hit but was predicted to be bad by them) to bring everyone (themselves and the animals) to us. We would take everyone in. Nope. They insisted on going down with the ship so to speak. Anyway the older they get the worse they get but they were always stubborn.

Storm update:
We were lucky. There were no winds to speak of and that makes for a less challenging storm. We didn't even get that much rain here. Much less rain at the Jersey Shore than in NYC and other areas. We are experiencing rain still all day but hopefully it will remain relatively calm and it will just be rain.

Hope everyone is doing well and no damage occurred and no power outages either.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I lived there (1967-1982) we had no floods that I can remember. But starting before Sandy a number of floods and Sandy was the mother flood of them all. Their entire basement and over 6 feet of water. They refused to evacuate (their neighborhood was asked to evacuate) and even after having lived through Sandy (and they called me in a panic during Sandy when the water was rising and they didn't know how high it would go and they were prisoners in the house...couldn't leave as the water was over 6 feet and rising) they said they would do it again. Not abandon the house. Of course they have many animals but still. We told them (before Sandy hit but was predicted to be bad by them) to bring everyone (themselves and the animals) to us. We would take everyone in. Nope. They insisted on going down with the ship so to speak. Anyway the older they get the worse they get but they were always stubborn.

Storm update:
We were lucky. There were no winds to speak of and that makes for a less challenging storm. We didn't even get that much rain here. Much less rain at the Jersey Shore than in NYC and other areas. We are experiencing rain still all day but hopefully it will remain relatively calm and it will just be rain.

Hope everyone is doing well and no damage occurred and no power outages either.
You mom and dad are Brooklyn tough but i can well understand how that is a worth
But
Phew
may the calm continues

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results