shape
carat
color
clarity

My wisdom toothums...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 12:50:52 PM
Author: divergrrl
drink lots of water....helps plump those veins up. And if I''m not mistaken, wisdom teeth aren''t done under general, its done under twilight. I don''t think (and I could be wrong...someone please jump in if I am) they can only do general anesthesia in a hospital. You are totally gone under twilight. I had mine taken out in 2000, passed out, woke up and never knew it happened.

Good luck!
I honestly don''t remember either term being used, I just remember "being put out" used as a choice. You could be right, I dunno.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
You are all just cracking me up!!! Thanks guys!
9.gif

I stocked up like mad on all the soft stuff today. Soups, Frubes, and jelly will be my diet for the next couple of days! BF's housemate came home tonight and found my jelly in the fridge and got all excited cos he thought I'd made vodka jelly! He reckons I missed a trick there... silly boys...
20.gif

So, solemn promise, no peanuts or anything capable of falling into the holes
12.gif
Although my surgeon mentioned stitches so hopefully the 'holes' won't be too bad? Well, I can pretend, can't I?
5.gif

OK signing off here now... BF has made me apple crumble for my 'last meal' (isn't he wonderful?) and I'm going to enjoy and then have a relaxing evening. Early start tomorrow.

Will let you know how I get on, thanks for all the support!!! You guys are great!!!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not read this whole thread but wanted to share my experience with you. I had three impacted wisdoms and honestly had a really easy recovery. I think I only took one or two of the painkillers. Just be careful not to get dry socket (no rice, straws, anything that can dry out the holes or get stuck in there) and you will be fine! I only felt the IV (but it didn't hurt) and then the put the mask on you. So the only needle I remember is the IV. I did swell and turn a little black and blue but besides that it wasn't a big deal. Mine was done under general in the hospital. Same ward as plastic surgery which I found kind of odd. Good luck!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 3:55:15 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/10/2007 12:50:52 PM
Author: divergrrl
drink lots of water....helps plump those veins up. And if I''m not mistaken, wisdom teeth aren''t done under general, its done under twilight. I don''t think (and I could be wrong...someone please jump in if I am) they can only do general anesthesia in a hospital. You are totally gone under twilight. I had mine taken out in 2000, passed out, woke up and never knew it happened.

Good luck!
I honestly don''t remember either term being used, I just remember ''being put out'' used as a choice. You could be right, I dunno.

Well, I''ve had 4 surgeries....

1996 liposuction & 2000 wisdom teeth..both were "outpatient" done in the surgeons office (plastic surgeon & later my oral surgeon). It was very different from my 2002 & 2003 fibroid tumor removals which were done "inpatient" at a hospital & I was put under general. When put under general anesthesia, you are intubated (breathing tube down your throat, etc..) at least that is my understanding.

From a sedation standpoint, I felt nothing with any of my 4 surgeries. Just woke up wondering when they''d be done. (and it was over)

Hoping your day goes well today! Take care of those sockets!!!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had a total of 6 teeth pulled. Two when I was in my teens - two teeth were growing in front of other teeth so the dentist pulled out the teeth behind using a local. Me in the chair with the dentist almost on top of me, pulling with a pair of pliers whilst the nurse held my head down in the chair! Luckily, the two teeth growing in front moved into the empty space behind where he pulled out the two teeth so no braces needed.

I had the other six pulled out when I was about 20. Two impacted molars and when they took the x-ray, they saw the 4 impacted wisdoms. I was given the choice of two operations where they pulled 3 at a time or one operation where all 6 were done at once. I chose the 6 at once. It was done with a general anaethestic with absolutely no problems. I had only been under once before (appendictomy). I don''t kow what they pumped into my gums but I felt no pain at all afterwards - but it looked like my mouth was full of golfballs - my cheeks were HUGE. The most disgusting part is that I couldn''t brush my teeth whilst the stitches were there and had to use a mouthwash instead. And all I ate during the week after was congee (chinese porridge).

Good luck with the surgery. I''m sure everything will be fine.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Storm, and others...

I stand corrected.

Alcohol was indeed in general use betwen "nothing" and "Ether"

As far as the bark thing..... "ever eat a pine tree?" and you are dating yourself if you remember that line...

I believe the active ingredient in most of the bark linings is the active ingredient in asprin (how asprin was developed).

Depending on your location there were other possibilities. In the south pacific Beetle Nuts provide a strong pain killer. Before dentistry many people had sore teeth and gums.

So (and dating my self again).... "Bloody Mary" of the South Pacific musical fame did indeed chew beetle nuts... Oh, and she was a real person too as the book South Pacific was based on the authors experiences in WW II in the south pacific.

Perry

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck tomorrow, Delster! Drink lots of water and stay hydrated (you probably can''t have anything after a certain time tonight, though, right?) that will help with finding a vein for the iv as someone else pointed out. I understand why you''re weirded out about the gen. anesthesia, different people have different reactions to it and it''s not always a happy story and can be scary. I took a friend to get hers out and afterwards she just started crying uncontrollably and that scared her because she''s not normally an emotional person...it was just the effects of the anesthesia wearing off, though, and after a few minutes she was fine.

Dh, otoh, woke up from having his removed and was the most affable, hilarious drugged person, he asked the nurse in the recovery room when he could have a beer, lol. She didn''t understand him at all because of the gauze in his mouth but I translated while rolling my eyes. (and no, I didn''t let him have any beer when he got home.)
9.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Good luck tomorrow, Delster. I''m just like you about the IV. I have had 5 surgeries with general (one was have all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed, and the IV is always the part I obsess about, not the surgery or recovery. For my last knee surgery, they let me take a Valium about an hour before i went in so I would be relaxed. That is probably not an option for you now, but you could ask for gas before they put it in. Also, I always found the removal of the IV to be more painful than the insertion, so last time I asked if they could remove it before I woke up completely, and that was much better.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had IVs in the hand and in the inside of the elbow and one site is almost painless. I can''t remember which one (maybe someone knows what I am talking about) but there is a big difference for me. You could always ask the nurse if one is better than the other if you are nervous.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Delster, I'm sure you're sleeping now but I wanted to wish you good luck! You'll be fine...when I had my 5 wisdom teeth pulled in 2001 (yes, I'm a mutant and had 5) I was put under and woke up feeling groggy, but that was it! And, the only place I really had pain was on my lower left side where the doctor had to dig out my 5th toof. Feel better fast!

ETA: I have tiny veins and have trouble getting IVs put in...so the nurse always puts a warm blanket over my arm for a few minutes. It seems to relax the veins so they're more accessible...(information for the future).
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Del - good luck today with them there teefs!!!!
35.gif
9.gif
9.gif
I hope you don't end up looking like that red faced little guy either!!
6.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I''m back! So far, so good
9.gif

Anaesthetist put the canula in the crook of my elbow and I hardly felt it. Last time was in the back of my hand so I think that made a big difference. Also the actual ''knocking out'' was entirely different. The anaesthetist said he''d put in the drugs and nurse put a mask on my face and I just drifted off to sleep really peacefully. Last time I was warned to expect a metal taste in my mouth and next thing I knew after that I woke up feeling like I''d been hit by a truck. Today, woke up happily and quietly, fully alert and in NO PAIN! Didn''t even drift back to sleep at all, was just chilling out listening to the radio and smiling like an eegit at the nurses
9.gif

Apparently I bled more than they expected, and as the local anaesthetic that they used has worn off I have pain on one side now, but it''s just like a bad toothache, nothing at all to worry about. I am all swollen up though and look rather ridiculous! First thing BF said to me was "wow, your jaw is wider than your cheeks now!". Um, thanks baby...
25.gif

Surgeon says I can eat straight away, just no warm foods or drinks and only soft things for the next few days. I''m going to take it very easy on the eating front - you guys have me freaked out!
2.gif
BF is making me smoothies, has bought me a stack of magazines, and has ordered in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice for me to watch all day tomorrow. LOVE my man
30.gif

So, two wisdom toothum oothums are gone and all told it was a very good experience! I am now off to mind myself for the afternoon, chillax and take it easy.

Thank you all so much for the well wishes, you guys are great!
36.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Good! Glad to hear it went well. Now just relax and get better
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, glad you are doing well and hoping for a speedy recovery. good news
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are back and all went well Del, now enjoy some magazines, ice creameth, jello and pudding and being waited on hand and foot!
3.gif

Ta ta wizzy teefs, so long, farewell, auf weidersen - adieu
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad too hear it went well!!!!!!!
Relax and kick back!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad everything went well!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You're such a little trooper!! (Apparently a VERY
9.gif
wide jawed one!!) Does your reflection look better today?

I wanted to apologize for my peanut comment, it started an avalanche of food suggestions that you said freaked you out. We just wanted to make sure your were diligent in protecting your caverns!!

Enjoy your down time...smell the roses!
emrose.gif

DKS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!!
36.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear it went well!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Thanks rosebud skippy lorelei strmrdr tacori dks ellen and snlee! And dks please don''t worry about freaking me out - better forewarned and forearmed! I prefer knowing about these things so I can be careful
1.gif

So the first two days were grand, a bit achey but nothing to worry about. Then last night it all went a bit Pete Tong
8.gif
Sorry if this is a bit TMI but I think I was sick about five times! NOT a nice feeling on the poor toothums sockets! BUT... looking on the bright side... even with all that nastiness I didn''t bleed even one little bit. So I haven''t done any damage, thank God.

I''ve taken all my meds again now this morning and fingers crossed no more nausea...
14.gif
Made sure to eat some yoghurt with the antibiotic, to try to settle my stomach. Just another few days and the worst of it will be over!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ew. Sorry to hear about that.

Definitely make sure you eat something with any pain meds (will often do that on empty tummy) and anti-biotic. Hope that''s over and done with!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor Del.....hang in there!!

pats.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
8.gif
get some
24.gif
be still....and in no time you''ll be
36.gif
again.

DKS

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m back on my feet!
36.gif

...after spending the last four days flat on my back...
7.gif
I couldn''t even Pricescope
23.gif
My vision of spending a week with my feet up watching DVDs, knitting, surfing PS - it all evaporated! We even had to give away our tickets to the All-Ireland final (kind of Ireland''s equivalent of having tickets for the Superdome
39.gif
). I kept thinking of Gypsy''s Mom all that time. Sure put my whinges into perspective.

Gonna take it easy this week again and not risk taking a step backwards. One of the blessings of being a grad student is I''ve no boss to worry about! I''m still on a soft diet but bit by bit I can eat more stuff without too much worry. No peanuts or hash browns though, scout''s honour!
12.gif
Hmmmmm, ice-cream....
11.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Ugghhhhh I spoke too soon!!! Came over all weak and dizzy Monday night, was feeling better yesterday morning, then yesterday afternoon came over all nauseous and, well, you know the rest...
7.gif

But good news follows!
1.gif
I saw the surgeon today and sockets are healing up well. When I told her about the pain I had she thought I might have a dry socket but on investigation she said it was definitely healing up really well. Turns out the reason I suffered was because I was on the ''tough it out'' recovery plan. She normally gives her patients an anti-inflammatory and tells them to take an over the counter paracetamol + codeine painkiller, but she felt the anti-inflammatory was contra-indicated in my case (childhood asthma), so instead she had to give me a super strong paracetamol + codeine prescription that unfortunately just knocks you out and makes you feel crummy. When she told me this today I was able to tell her I''ve taken that particular anti-inflammatory in the past no problem. So all that pain and the weakness that was caused by the super strong codeine prescription - it was all in vain! Waaah! Oh well. She was really very apologetic about it, said if I''d rung her she would have changed my prescription. I just never thought to, I figured I had to get through the first week and it''d pick up. So now she thinks I''m a very brave little soldier to have put up with it all. Ha ha, I''m not sure BF would agree - he was the one listening to me whine!
3.gif

Here''s an interesting thing she told me. Because I''ve been sick so much that means my electrolytes are probably all over the place, and she says the best thing to fix that is FLAT COCA-COLA. Apparently it''s given to babies with diarrhoea in the third world and it''s saved many many lives. Isn''t that amazing? I love learning stuff like that
1.gif

Miscka did you say you''re having your wisdom toothums out next week?
35.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I was just reading this to see what to expect! In fact, I go in Friday morning
23.gif

I am really scared! I''ve never been really sick or had any other surgeries. Last night I went to the grocery to stock up on soft foods. I found myself analyzing everything for peanut-type issues, lol! I am glad you are feeling better, that is too bad about the meds. Glad your BF was around to take care of you, I already warned mine. He is taking me and says he will let me order him around after...lol he knows I love to be bossy!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 11:50:25 AM
Author: Miscka
I was just reading this to see what to expect! In fact, I go in Friday morning
23.gif

I am really scared! I''ve never been really sick or had any other surgeries. Last night I went to the grocery to stock up on soft foods. I found myself analyzing everything for peanut-type issues, lol! I am glad you are feeling better, that is too bad about the meds. Glad your BF was around to take care of you, I already warned mine. He is taking me and says he will let me order him around after...lol he knows I love to be bossy!

Aw pet, I''m sorry if I''ve scared you! You know, it''s the wiped out feeling that irks me more than the pain or the sickness. I''ve been so weak even my beloved knitting has been too heavy to hold and PS has been limited to 15 minute sessions!
39.gif

The surgeon told me today all that is a direct result of the pain relief she prescribed for me. I would have felt much better if I''d been on the normal Difene + Solpadeine combo than on the Tylex alone. The former is the normal pain relief prescribed for these cases. I also likely would have had less nausea.

So, lessons learned:
* Talk about pain relief with your doctor, see if you are a candidate for the anti-inflammatories + more gentle painkillers (my surgeon didn''t realise I had taken Difene before and was fine with it);
* BOSS THAT BF AROUND WHILE YOU CAN, ha ha
9.gif

Other useful info, hmmm...

Nothing hot for the first two days. I''m still not drinking hot beverages, too nervous, but I am eating warm foods no problem. I MISS TEA!!!!
39.gif
I can''t help it, I''m Irish...
2.gif

No straws for the first two days, even if that seems like the easier option for drinks! The suction can cause bleeding. I only found this out yesterday, after a whole week of vigorous straw-sucking with no adverse affects, but thought I''d pass it on anyway!

Drink FLAT Coca-Cola. I was drinking flat 7Up on my pharmacist''s recommendation but I know you can''t get that in the States. Flat 7Up and flat Lucozade are the standard drinks given to invalids over here - you need the fluids and the glucose content keeps your energy up if you''re not eating much! Anyway my surgeon recommended Coke if you''re nauseous.

Good foods (cos there''s been a lot of talk of bad foods!
2.gif
):
ICE-CREAM! Yum! Jelly (I think you call it jello?). Mashed potato made reeeally creamy, hmmmm (indulge me, I''m showing my nationality again). I ate lots of tuna mashed up into mayonnaise. After a couple of days I mashed (or rather BF mashed
2.gif
!) the tuna + mayo in with some soft fusilli pasta. Pasta became a staple
9.gif
. Custard. Yoghurts (I bought Frubes and Petits Filous - yoghurts with absolutely no bits in, they''re made for kiddies). Creamed rice with raisins in, oh joy! Did I mention ICE-CREAM?
18.gif

I took arnica tablets and used an antiseptic mouthwash for two days before surgery, on my surgeon''s recommendation. I had lots of swelling (no anti-inflammatories!) but hardly any bruising, so I think the arnica was a great idea. And I haven''t had even a tiny bit of bleeding post surgery, not even when rinsing my mouth out with salt water the day after the op. I don''t know if the Corsodyl mouthwash helped with that, but my surgeon is definitely delighted with how clean and well healed everything is in there!!!
9.gif

You will be fine! Promise!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2007 6:24:21 AM
Author: Delster
I think I''m back on my feet!
36.gif

...after spending the last four days flat on my back...
7.gif
I couldn''t even Pricescope
23.gif
My vision of spending a week with my feet up watching DVDs, knitting, surfing PS - it all evaporated! We even had to give away our tickets to the All-Ireland final (kind of Ireland''s equivalent of having tickets for the Superdome
39.gif
). I kept thinking of Gypsy''s Mom all that time. Sure put my whinges into perspective.

Gonna take it easy this week again and not risk taking a step backwards. One of the blessings of being a grad student is I''ve no boss to worry about! I''m still on a soft diet but bit by bit I can eat more stuff without too much worry. No peanuts or hash browns though, scout''s honour!
12.gif
Hmmmmm, ice-cream....
11.gif

BF read this thread and roared laughing and said something along the lines of "it''s the SuperBOWL you silly girl, the SuperBOWL!!! They''ll all think you''re an idiot!!!" Uhmmmm, I knew that, I swear...!
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results