shape
carat
color
clarity

My wisdom toothums...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
...have to come out tomorrow.
7.gif
Well, two of them...
4.gif

I''m not scared of the actual extraction or if it''s painful afterward -- but -- I am being a real big baby about the general anaesthetic. I had my tonsils out at nineteen and the anaesthesiast had a hard time finding a vein and it hurt. So I''m a bit afraid of that happening again
39.gif

So think of me tomorrow please and wish me luck!
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
will do

my IQ dropped 2 points when I had 2 of em removed so didnt have the other 2 done yet!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster, be sure and tell the nurse that, and hopefully she''ll take care in finding a good vein.

And I''m sending you good thoughts!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 8:50:02 AM
Author: strmrdr
will do

my IQ dropped 2 points when I had 2 of em removed so didnt have the other 2 done yet!
9.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delster, sorry about your teefs and I hope it goes well
9.gif
35.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 8:50:02 AM
will do

9.gif

Eeek! Can''t afford to be losing too much on the IQ front!
23.gif
Will have to do my best to hang on to the other two, eh?
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 8:50:45 AM
Author: Ellen
Delster, be sure and tell the nurse that, and hopefully she''ll take care in finding a good vein.

And I''m sending you good thoughts!

Thank you! I''ll be sure to do that. Usually I''m a big girl about medical stuff but the bad experience first time round has me a bit spooked. Chances are it''ll be just fine!
1.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 8:52:17 AM
Author: Lorelei
9.gif
35.gif

Ha ha teefs
9.gif
I can hear Phil Mitchell asking after my teefs !!! Thanks for the well wishes and the giggle Lorelei! I''ll likely be chuckleing on the operating table tomorrow going "teefs! teefs!"
9.gif

Hey, I guess if I''m laid up and not fit to work that just gives me more time to Pricescope eh?
27.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had all 4 taken out (in my mid 20''s)... it was done under local numbing - just like they do for normal dentistry.....

I had delayed too long in getting them out and my teeth were moved out of alighment a bit.

Interesting story was that I had a "first date" scheduled for a really good locking gal that evening... Interesting date after having 4 wisdome teeth pulled and after the novacain wore off.... as the pain pills they gave me did not seem to work.

I trust your day will go better than that.

Perry

koko

Shiny_Rock
I''m thinking of you....I seem to have tiny veins that "roll"....so, been there, done that! Hopefully your oral surgeon will consider this and get it on the first try!! Good luck to you for a quick recovery.....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Perry- me too. I had all 4 done at the same time under novacane by my family dentist when I was 20. The actual procedure did not hurt since I was numb. I wonder if general is a new trend?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2007 9:20:20 AM
Author: Delster

Date: 9/10/2007 8:52:17 AM
Author: Lorelei
9.gif
35.gif

Ha ha teefs
9.gif
I can hear Phil Mitchell asking after my teefs !!! Thanks for the well wishes and the giggle Lorelei! I''ll likely be chuckleing on the operating table tomorrow going ''teefs! teefs!''
9.gif

Hey, I guess if I''m laid up and not fit to work that just gives me more time to Pricescope eh?
27.gif
Hehehe...I was hoping to give you a giggle Del !! Here are some more for you!

gnashers.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 9:41:44 AM
Author: asscherisme
Perry- me too. I had all 4 done at the same time under novacane by my family dentist when I was 20. The actual procedure did not hurt since I was numb. I wonder if general is a new trend?
No, it''s always been done. I had general with mine, 25 years ago. Most of it is just personal preference, depending on the age of the patient. Younger kids tend to be more scared, say 16-18ish and don''t want to deal with it, and the older you get the more the teeth become like rocks in cement, are harder to get out, and it''s just easier on the doc and patient if you''re out. And some people just plain hate dentists and dentistry in general and want to aviod the whole thing.

I would bet that the reason you were only numbed is because a general dentist did yours. They don''t normally have a nurse on hand, and by law, I believe a nurse, or oral surgeon is who has to give an IV. I worked in an office with two OS''s and they had a nurse who specifically dealt with IV''s.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen Says:

No, it''s always been done. I had general with mine, 25 years ago. Most of it is just personal preference, depending on the age of the patient.

True in one sense; but not what you think.

First there was nothing. And people hurt when they had dental work done.

Oil of cloves came next. It did not help during the process - but did kill pain upon immediate application to a tooth.

Then there was Ether... Which put people out, but could do serious harm or even kill if used wrong (and it was easy to use wrong).

Nitrious Oxide (laughing gas came next). Safer to use than Ether; but caution was still needed.

Novacain came along and most dental work was done with it.

For decades dental work was done with either Novacain or Nitrious Oxide.

Now there are about 20 different drugs and methods to put you out without using either Ether or Nitrious Oxide (or clunking you on the side of your head hard).

When my wisdome teeth came out it was at an oral surgeons partnership that had both nurses and Anesthesioligist on staff.

My surgeon was an older one, and preferred to use Novacain because it was faster, cheaper, and your recovery was quicker and simpler. He offered to use either Nitrious Oxide or one of several drugs (now called "general") if I would be more comfortable.

The surgeon stated that the youngest surgeons did not like to use novacain because they did not have the skills necessary to quickly locate a nerve and numb people (to really know where to inject the novacain) - and insurance would automatically pick up the cost of the much more expensive anesthesia.

He also stated that from a business perspective that there was more money in using a general anesthesia instead of novocain - but that he was more concerned about the patient''s finances and did OK without the added fees; while the younger surgeons had medical school bills to pay (not to mention the required fancy car).

My teeth came out hard, and shattered into peices in one case and the sergeon had to dig out the roots. Yet, it went quickly and without overt difficulty - all under novacain.

Thus, you are correct that it is personal preference. Largly the personal preference of the surgeon and not the patient; and in part driven by how much the surgeon and the business can profit from the procedure.

If you have a small vein - why don''t you ask for Nitrous Oxide.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I have my last 2 done I will just have novocain like the last 2.
When he cut the bone to get the last root it hurt a little but not too much.
Cant do N.O. because of asthma, had a bad attack last time it was used.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, ok, I meant since it has been an option.
25.gif

And with the docs I worked with, they took everything into consideration as to what they would suggest (mainly the patients apprehension, or lack of), but it was always the ultimate decision of the patient. They never pushed generals.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
asscherisme, perry, ellen: Thank you for all the information! Oh how I wish I could have them out without a general! Like I said, I'm not scared of the procedure, it's the anaesthetic part. I've even had fillings without anaesthetic at all. But... these babies are impacted, turned the wrong way, close to a nerve in my jaw etc etc etc. My dentist wouldn't touch them so she referred me to an oral surgeon. The procedure will be done in a hospital which seems to be the norm over here. They're actually going to put in a local as well so I won't be in any pain for a good while after I wake up. Apparently it helps control bleeding too.

Perry you poor thing that doesn't sound like fun at all! I hope your date was sweet to you and you in all that pain...

Koko thank you!

Lorelei I hope I don't look like the little guy on the left by tomorrow evening!!!
2.gif

ETA: I forgot to say that I have a history of asthma so I guess that would mean I'm in the same position as strmrdr when it comes to pain relief? Although I've never had any allergies - aspirin hasn't ever been a problem for me but I avoid it anyway just in case. In any event my surgeon knows all about it
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh, sorry that happened last time. Yikes.

The stuff they used for my wisdom teeth knocked me out completely so I hope they use the same stuff on you. Sending good wishes your way. Please keep us posted.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 10:46:30 AM
Author: perry
Perry
You did forget whiskey and wine.
That would be right after nothing.
Get em good and drunk till they pass out then do what ever needed too be done was sop for several centuries.
Also willow bark(actually the part right under the bark) was used by Native Americans for pain relief. Its similar to aspirin but some ways better.
My grandma on my moms side always used willow tea for pain and headaches.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 11:17:22 AM
Date: 9/10/2007 10:46:30 AM

Author: perry

Perry
You did forget whiskey and wine.

That would be right after nothing.

Get em good and drunk till they pass out then do what ever needed too be done was sop for several centuries.

Also willow bark(actually the part right under the bark) was used by Native Americans for pain relief. Its similar to aspirin but some ways better.

My grandma on my moms side always used willow tea for pain and headaches.

>>Delster's little ears perk upb] you know i'm irish right?
11.gif

Skippy, thank you, will do!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Having my wisdom teeth removed was the most fun I have ever had at the Vet...errr I mean Dentist.

I wanted no antheistha or novo so he just gave me those shot things. Anyway the fun part was he found microfilm in my teeth. He was part of the secret agents task force and his job was to retreive the fllm. He recognized it as he removed it as the long lost detail in the hardest case on file. He was so greatful I came in. He did insert new data in the cavities, and said I would be called on in the future.

As I left the receptionist had me take a oath, swear to secrecy and sign a SA decree. Couldn't reveal anything to anyone. I left with a large manilla envelope and was told to hide it in my coat. And a note...I was to hand this note to....the pharmacist and to wink when I did. He would hook me up with the good stuff!

It was a riot! Drove myself home...with a greater sense of power than I had ever!!

DKS

Stormy...he removed all 4 and therefore I lost at least 50% of wisdom. But you see, I aint had no haff of nothin to start off whiff...so the next time I have trouble with your funnies...won't you be gentle on me...?

Oh when I got home, the manilla envelope contained....my exrays!!
36.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
drink lots of water....helps plump those veins up. And if I''m not mistaken, wisdom teeth aren''t done under general, its done under twilight. I don''t think (and I could be wrong...someone please jump in if I am) they can only do general anesthesia in a hospital. You are totally gone under twilight. I had mine taken out in 2000, passed out, woke up and never knew it happened.

Good luck!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha DKS now I''m picturing myself lying on the table in theatre humming the theme from Mission Impossible and muttering to myself about my teefs!
9.gif

Divergrrl thanks for the water tip - I''m off now to double my intake for the rest of the evening - I''m nil by mouth after midnight tonight! My surgeon used the term ''general'' and I will be in a hospital.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck tomorrow!!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Delster, good luck! All four of my wisdom teeth were impacted and I had them removed (at the same time) so I''ve been through it. I hope it goes well and you don''t have that much pain afterwards!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Great Delster...you just do that!! You mission tomorrow....is .....are you listening??....it won''t repeat again.....your mission is to just relax and don''t worry about a thing. Your dentist can do this in his sleep...and so you should just enjoy your time away from the clock, and errands, and details...and just relax. Go ni nite! Spa time!!!

Afterwards, The tough thing for me...was keeping the cavities clean. It takes them awhile to close...and you don''t want to lose a peanut! So don''t eat any. If you can take today to get some softer things..or plan on some soups...just be conscientious about what you poke in your pie hole for a week. Kay?

DKS

honey has this incredible healing property. Adding a tablespoon to your diet daily can do incredible things. It fights bacteria!!! Vit C will help you body heal too!! The extra water is great advice...add some honey to your H20 for an added punch.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I had the local when I had mine all out about 2 months ago.

I am in my late twenties and I had put having them out off long enough, that they just were a hassle to keep clean. I was very scared too about being put under as I had never had a surgery of any kind before in my life!!!

It should not be too bad, you won''t remember a thing, and yes, let them give you the gas at first to calm your nerves, that way when they are injecting the needle you won''t have any clue as to what is going on!! Take it from me, I am the ultimate chicken when it comes to this kind of stuff!!

Lots of apple sauce, mashed potatoes, and ice cream will be in your future, so here''s to a speedy recovery!
35.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 2:14:22 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Great Delster...you just do that!! You mission tomorrow....is .....are you listening??....it won''t repeat again.....your mission is to just relax and don''t worry about a thing. Your dentist can do this in his sleep...and so you should just enjoy your time away from the clock, and errands, and details...and just relax. Go ni nite! Spa time!!!

Afterwards, The tough thing for me...was keeping the cavities clean. It takes them awhile to close...and you don''t want to lose a peanut! So don''t eat any. If you can take today to get some softer things..or plan on some soups...just be conscientious about what you poke in your pie hole for a week. Kay?

DKS

honey has this incredible healing property. Adding a tablespoon to your diet daily can do incredible things. It fights bacteria!!! Vit C will help you body heal too!! The extra water is great advice...add some honey to your H20 for an added punch.
LOL DKS!! I have to have mine out in two weeks as well, so I was very interested in this thread. No peanuts for me!!!
23.gif

Delster, FWIW I am most scared about the anesthesia as well. But my teeth hurt now, so I am ready to be rid of them!! I am crossing my fingers for you! Let us know how it goes.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh...my mother has all my baby teeth and first curls..and alot more curls. So when I left the "KGB office"....they allowed me to take them (wisdom teeth) with me!! And they were honkers...about 3 or 4 carats!!!

Sent them to my mother and she got the biggest kick out of it. Years have passed but when ever I do something...well, boneheaded...she asked if I want her to send me my WISDOM teeth back!! Ha Ha.

DKS

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2007 2:21:12 PM
Author: Miscka

Date: 9/10/2007 2:14:22 PM
Author: door knob solitaire

DKS

LOL DKS!! I have to have mine out in two weeks as well, so I was very interested in this thread. No peanuts for me!!!
23.gif

Delster, FWIW I am most scared about the anesthesia as well. But my teeth hurt now, so I am ready to be rid of them!! I am crossing my fingers for you! Let us know how it goes.

arrgggg!!!!!!!!! I hear this. Don''t eat anything that has any kind of breading in it. I had tried to eat a hashbrown about 3 weeks after my surgery and got it stuck way down in the cavity, ayyyyee what a problem that was!!!
6.gif
Keeping food out of the holes was probably the most difficult thing post surgery, compared to that, the actual procedure was nothing! It does take a good month or so (yes month, maybe even longer for some) for them to kinda close up a bit. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results