shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dream Ring: 8.1mm European Cut Diamond

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This diamond and ring are both so stunning!!! Love it!!! great find Dreamer!

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
whoa!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy they can restore your ring to it's original condition! I love the setting and think it is amazing you were able to find a great stone in a setting worth keeping!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Very late to the party, so I waited around until you brought it to your jeweler. :naughty:

It's such a great story. I am so glad that everything turned out well and that the ring will be restored nicely. Aside from the sheer beauty of the stone, I love the shape of the setting. I loved it on TGal's ring, and it looks sensational on your ring and on your finger.

It has serious finger coverage on you. Congratulations on your treasure hunt!! You raised the bar on ebay finds. :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What can one add to six pages of admiration!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's awesome! Congrats!

And thanks for the education. Making mental notes.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Been away for a while in the Canadian Rockies and just tuned in.

Whoa. That's a beaut Dreamer.

I'm a Canadian gal of modest income and matching social circle, and I am here to tell you that I would wear that bad boy/girl (?) in a New York minute. Put your shoulders back, bit o' lippie, nice pair of shoes and you are good for go. No way in heck does that look overlarge on your fine hand. No. Way.

It's a gift you've got alright. Almost like an archaeologist...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! How did I miss this? It's beautiful! Well done, you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the refurbishment of this setting will be great! More refined prongs should look really beautiful with this stone. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Chicago

Shiny_Rock
Your new diamond is TDF, well done and congrats :appl: Can you link me to a thread (assuming there is one) with the 3stone ring that didn't quite do it for you?

kewpee

Rough_Rock
You have yourself an absolutely stunning diamond and setting.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

MelbourneGirl

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous find Dreamer! You are such a super slueth, I love it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nice find DD!!.. :appl: beautiful ring!!.. :love:

D

Deactivated member 42515

I thought I commented on your perfection of perfection but I guess I didn't... Congrats on your newly acquired amazinggggg diamond!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1342462431|3234901 said:
WOW, dreamer, that is absolutely GORGEOUS!! :love: A million congrats to you on acquiring that beauty, wear it in the best of health! :appl:

My OEC has a similar patterning to yours, and it definitely shows distinct arrows. It's like the best of both worlds!

I never tried to get a precise photo of the arrows, but you can see them pretty well here: ----

I meant to respond and say, YES I can definitely see the similarities between your diamond and mine! How fun, and your stone is also really gorgeous to my eyes! So, for fun trivia, you can tell people that your diamond is an early ideal cut, likely from the 1920s :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the EGL branch nearest me have let me down and want to call the diamond an RB with Good cut :blackeye: Since I am getting the report mostly for insurance purposes -- and my own knowledge I suppose -- this was not ok with me. My jeweler talked to them and tried to work it out, but they won't budge. So we pulled the stone and I won't be getting a report. It just defeats the whole point! A frustrating experience for a few reasons to lame to relate, but my jeweler has been great. He is just such a fan of this diamond and so enthusiatic and knowledgeable about old cut -- to my surprise he knew to call it an American Cut -- that I am pleased I went through him.

Anyways, I was curious about he inclusion in my diamond. I cannot see anything with my eyes though I know the grade maker is a feather on the periphery. I cannot find it with my loupe either. But I finally think I located it with macro pics.

Can you spot it? :))

george1_041.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is circled and I also put a red line along the main line of the feather.

Notice how the diamond was cut so that the feather is almost perfectly lined up with a meet point of a kite facet and an upper girdle facet. I can only imagine this was purposeful on the part of the cutter to hide the inclusion, and it makes me even more impressed with the cutter's skill. It is impossible to see with the naked eye.

I should have my completed ring back by the end of the week :appl:

george1_041__2_.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's a pretty cool looking inclusion, kind of like a blonde horse mane! It doesn't break the surface, right?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
What color and clarity did it come back as?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1343177922|3239389 said:
What color and clarity did it come back as?

Yes, I'm very curious too! 8)

Sorry about them grading it a round with 'good' cut though. Dummies!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We didnt get that far, I didn't want to pay for a report that is useless.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought that EGL was the standard for old cuts and they knew their stuff? How weird.

I can see why you didn't bother though, since if you need it for insurance they will just replace with like kind. Guess you won't be finding out color and clarity graded by a reputable lab either?

It doesn't completely surprise me though, since you yourself said this type of cut with basically a MRB with chunkier faceting. Whatever it is, it's lovely. :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1343186943|3239460 said:

Since you don't plan to sell it, I agree it's useless!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1343186943|3239460 said:

Useless. For sure.

cheers--Sharon

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Useless? Tgal and canuk, you ladies are so funny!

I can *easily* see this going up for sale now; after all, it's not the OEC holy grail to end all holy grails that she was hoping for. Heck, *I* wouldn't leave that kind of money tied up in something that wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Since paper is even more important when selling an RB, I can totally see the usefulness of a lab report myself. =)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1343187254|3239462 said:
I thought that EGL was the standard for old cuts and they knew their stuff? How weird.

I can see why you didn't bother though, since if you need it for insurance they will just replace with like kind. Guess you won't be finding out color and clarity graded by a reputable lab either?

It doesn't completely surprise me though, since you yourself said this type of cut with basically a MRB with chunkier faceting. Whatever it is, it's lovely. :love:

EGL I think is the standard, but I didn't sent it to EGL-LA , I sent it to a local Canadian branch that has ONE guy doing all the grading! Just one dude! So its not exatly the same.

I wanted the report only for curiosity because I like that sort of thing, and for having a good way of documenting like kind and quality for insurance. But if I lost this stone I certainly don't want to replace it with a modern RB! EGL does have a grade called "transitional round brilliant" that could have applied I think. But the whole reason people don't use GIA is because of mislabeling old cuts, so why go to EGL at all if they are going to mislabel it? Anyways, its moot since I did not get the report. My jeweler was pretty annoyed at the whole thing and I don't think this did anything to improve his opinion of EGL :lol: ETA: He can do a good appraisal for me for insurance, and importantly, he can describe the setting and its true value as a hand made piece. I think that will be really good to have, often appraisals I had gotten say "platinum mount", but in this case that would not be descritive.

And I agree. I adore this stone and can't wait to get it back on my finger! I am tiding myself over looking at the photos. Despite some apparent misapprehension :rolleyes: this is my dream ring, so I don't care about the papers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds as though you don't really need the EGL report for insurance since your jeweler can just write up an appraisal so that's good.

Though I don't know if I'd exactly call the report useless just because they would term it a MRB, because if you insured it, and something happened, and they replaced it with a 'like' MRB, you could just sell that stone and go back on the hunt for another extremely late transitional-borderline-MRB. And probably pocket some $ along the way. That doesn't sound so bad to me!! :naughty:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1343191597|3239492 said:
TravelingGal|1343187254|3239462 said:

EGL I think is the standard, but I didn't sent it to EGL-LA , I sent it to a local Canadian branch that has ONE guy doing all the grading! Just one dude! So its not exatly the same.

I wanted the report only for curiosity because I like that sort of thing, and for having a good way of documenting like kind and quality for insurance. But if I lost this stone I certainly don't want to replace it with a modern RB! EGL does have a grade called "transitional round brilliant" that could have applied I think. But the whole reason people don't use GIA is because of mislabeling old cuts, so why go to EGL at all if they are going to mislabel it? Anyways, its moot since I did not get the report. My jeweler was pretty annoyed at the whole thing and I don't think this did anything to improve his opinion of EGL :lol: ETA: He can do a good appraisal for me for insurance, and importantly, he can describe the setting and its true value as a hand made piece. I think that will be really good to have, often appraisals I had gotten say "platinum mount", but in this case that would not be descritive.

And I agree. I adore this stone and can't wait to get it back on my finger! I am tiding myself over looking at the photos. Despite some apparent misapprehension :rolleyes: this is my dream ring, so I don't care about the papers.
How frustrating! I am glad that your jeweler is able to give you a detailed appraisal for your insurance.

I bet you are going nuts waiting for it to be back on your finger and I don't blame you, it is insanely gorgous! I can't wait to see how the new prongs look!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well, I"m totally glad to hear it's still your dream ring and that you're not letting the MRB label keep you from loving it!

Labels are way overrated, and I always think it's a shame when mind-clean issues keep someone from loving a stone.....but I could totally see it in this case. You went into this (I thought) really wanting a classic old cut......well-cut, but distinctly old cut, and I can fully see where that might not cut it on a mind-clean front.

But, since you're happy with the stone regardless of its MRB status, that's a win. Congratulations again for finding the stone for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results