shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dream Ring: 8.1mm European Cut Diamond

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone! I was waiting to reply until I had finally gotten around to taking some more pictures to really show off the refurbishment, but since that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon :rolleyes: I thought I would reply now!

Still adore my ring and love everything about it!

pregcurious|1344710514|3249817 said:
Dreamer, George is beautiful! I learned a lot from this thread (e.g. leakage under the table), and I love the collage you made with the PS transitionals. JJC's checkerboard is one of my favs, and I noticed that it was on sale on DB. Do you know who bought it? Just curious.

The refurb on your setting is amazing too! If I lived near you in Canada, I'd be asking you for the name of your jeweler.

I think it was consigned with JBEG! I have no idea who bought it, hopefully a PSer so we can see more photos. I'm very happy with the work my jeweler did on this ring. I had worked with them in the past on about 5-6 projects ranging from simply polishing of platinum to resizing to setting rings, and yes, setting a pair of OECs in stock mounts too, which did not turn out the way I wanted. But I'm glad I gave them another chance doing what they specialize in. It turned out really really well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1344819239|3250417 said:
YUMM to the YUMM YUMMS! How's your ring doing today? Are you getting tired of George? Is George getting to heavy? Let me lighten your burden! :)

Nope not tired of George. I still think this ring is da bomb as far as I am concerned.

My mom thinks it looks so huge it looks fake, and my husband thinks it looks massive, he stops and laughs every time he sees it shaking his head and saying "It is so big."

I told them that was the look I was going for :Up_to_something:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
vinjewels|1344945630|3251138 said:
Thanks for posting the before and after. Just amazing! I would have never thought the milgrain rework would be that good. It looks like new!

To redo the milgrain, the jeweler cut off the old globby nasty prongs and smoothed the whole edge of the bezel. Then they cut the prongs out *by hand* from metal they had shaped to the right thickness *by hand*, welded the little prongs in place, and then they add the milgrain at the end. So basically, the milgrain is brand new!

In macro photos I find that the milgrain and the prongs look chunkier than they look in real life. In real life the milgrain is so fine you cannot even see it at regular viewing distance -- just a slight softness to the edge. Honestly, I am so impressed. I think my next project with them will be a milgrain bezel pendant or something like that.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I finally got some good pics of George after her rejuvenation treatements :lol:

I love this ring more and more each day. It's funny, I would likely never have looked for a setting like this had I bought George loose. In part because it would have been so hard to find a true antique in the right size, and also because I would have been too cheap to pony up for a reproduction (likely in the $3k range). But man I love this mount. The view of my ring when worn is utterly attractive from all angles! I especially love looking at the profile of the mount when I am driving, or typing. I can easily see the pavilion of the diamond through the filigree, and it reminds me of a perfect little bird cage. The craftsmanship and artistry really increases my appreciation of my ring. I think I understand why people pay for really nice mounts now, and I especially understand why people seek out hand forged pieces, or at least hand finished pieces. The artistry is deeply satisfying on an esthetic level.

Anyways, enough waxing poetic 8) Here are the pictures.

This first series shows the mount in detail and the new prongs and milgrain border on the bezel. In such huge macro imagery the finish and the ring is not perfect. But in person you can't see the asymmetries and the saw marks on the struts on the gallery, or the slightly less than perfect finish on the prongs. Hand made pieces likely should not be viewed in 100x macro. I can't see these details with my loupe. Luckily I am not obsessive about this type of stuff ;)) Diamond cut is my only unreasonably perfectionistic standard.

greorge1_012.jpg

greorge1_011.jpg

greorge1_009.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hand shots and some fire.

greorge1_016.jpg

greorge1_019.jpg

greorge1_020.jpg

greorge1_023.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Showing the lovely faceting.

greorge1_024.jpg

greorge1_025.jpg

greorge1_026.jpg

greorge1_027.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
8)

greorge1_028.jpg

greorge1_030.jpg

greorge1_031.jpg

greorge1_032.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think these are my favourite photos of my ring.

greorge1_033.jpg

greorge1_034.jpg

greorge1_035.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last few, dark and moody but you can see the faceting. And one prifle shot of the mount showing the gallery.

greorge1_042.jpg

greorge1_0.jpg

greorge1_040.jpg

greorge1_037.jpg

TXJewel

Rough_Rock
Lovely, really lovely ring. Don't you just love the original art deco (I think that is the right period for this setting?) rings? Really great find for you. And, it looks just perfect on you. You will have to tutor me in picture taking when I get my ring. ha ha

D

Deactivated member 42515

mmmm the new pictures are SWOONalicious! :twirl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful pictures of a beautiful ring Dreamer! Glad you are so happy with your new ring!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
just BREATHTAKING!!! You found yourself a PERFECT diamond and in a PERFECT setting - double win/win!!! I love the delicacy of that 'birdcage' mount - you're right , it is like a birdcage - protecting that precious diamond. Love the prongs and milgraining as well - and the engraved band is amazing - ah... so beautiful!

FIRE!! wow!!! That baby loves to show off in the sun!! :love: :appl: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I soooo love this diamond and setting!!!! :love: :love: :love:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
The whole package- diamond + mount is sheer perfection! It is absolutely gorgeous and looks wonderful on you!

I really love the mount- especially the way the stone is prong set yet has a bezel-like look. Do you know what this type of setting is called? If I ever get my old stone I'd like to set it in a similar mount- with prongs but also a small metal "halo".

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oolala I love this baby! :love:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oolala I love this baby! :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TXJewel|1345931941|3257088 said:
Lovely, really lovely ring. Don't you just love the original art deco (I think that is the right period for this setting?) rings? Really great find for you. And, it looks just perfect on you. You will have to tutor me in picture taking when I get my ring. ha ha

I think it is art deco! And thanks, I think its just right as well!

Pictures: macro function, natural indirect lighting only no flash, crop the image so only the diamond/ring is in the frame :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you adding pictures with the band here?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks rosetta! I love her too!

diamondseeker I have said this to you many times, but I honestly get as much pleasure out of this setting and its style and the fabrication method as I do the diamond. For me it was a lucky thing the diamond and ring came together, but I really really believe now that the mount makes the ring in many ways.

enerchi thanks m'dear! I look forward to your future jewelery adventures!

MiisGotrocks Your are always so positive and supportive, thanks so much! I do adore this ring, it is just right.

YayTacori Thanks! Your new ring and diamond are also spectacular.

LALove|1347660048|3268301 said:
The whole package- diamond + mount is sheer perfection! It is absolutely gorgeous and looks wonderful on you!

I really love the mount- especially the way the stone is prong set yet has a bezel-like look. Do you know what this type of setting is called? If I ever get my old stone I'd like to set it in a similar mount- with prongs but also a small metal "halo".

Thanks LA! I remember you asking about blingy bands versus one large stone. I still love the blingy band look, but in the end for me since I really only can have one ring, I just had to have a big rock. I just love this diamond and setting, it brings me so much pleasure each day!

I don't know the name for this style but I know it is VERY classic of the period. JBEG have sold similar hexagonal bezels with bead set stones, and TGal has a three stone in a modern version of the style. I don't think it has a name, but I call it a prong-set bezel, like a prong-set halo. I think if you save some photos and show them to your jeweler that is simplest! In my humble opinion for the style to really work the bezel portion must be very delicate. The metal "halo" on mine is only 0.35mm thick. This is only really possible with hand forged metal smithing I think. Or die struck metal as mine likely is. True antiques of course can be found, and there are a few modern jewelers who can recreate the look. TGals ring is very successful at recreating the vintage style and it was made by 23rd Street by hand. SingleStone as far as I know do not use benches that hand forge but their work is similarly delicate (though I have not seen it in person. But I would try to find an original vintage setting if possible :)) I love the history of a piece!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check your dreamer mail when you get a chance, please!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer your ring is perfection! Love your diamond and the setting, how wonderful that you found it as a finished piece. Your pictures are amazing! Absolutley Beautiful :love: :love: :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got a wedding band to wear with my ring!

It is 2.3mm wide and appears to be hand engraved. The ring has been well worn so the pattern is not crisp, but in real wearing conditions the "texture" of the engraving is evident and a nice pairing with my engagemen ring. I don't think it looks its best in macro ::) I am very happy to have a wedding band, though, and I think my set looks complete and I feel married again! :lol: I also feel like the wedding band makes my diamond look bigger. I also like the gap when the rings are worn.

I don't think this will be my "forever" wedding band. I would like to find another vintage piece that is slightly lower profile to better match my e-ring, and I would like to find one with diamonds and crisper engraving.

But the price on this one was right for me and it is a really nice fit for now!

The rings are size 6.5 and 6.75.

georgeband1_012.jpg

georgeband2_013.jpg

georgeband3_014.jpg

georgeband4_015.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks woofmama!

DS: replied!

Some more photos of my set.

georgeband5_007.jpg

georgeband6_008.jpg

georgeband7_003.jpg

georgeband8_009.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few more, just because.

Thanks for looking! :wavey:

georgeband9_011.jpg

georgeband10_016.jpg

georgeband11_018.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love the wedding band, it looks perfect with your e-ring! Congrstulations!!! :appl: :love: :appl:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1347759781|3268896 said:
A few more, just because.

Thanks for looking! :wavey:
I would stop and GAWK at that set if I saw you on the street! :-o :love: LOVE the diamond. LOVE the mount. LOVE the band. LOVE the gap. You DO look married! You're killing me with these pics! Ugh. When I see my sister with her set and friends with theirs it so makes me long for a solitaire. Blingy bands are awesome but, for me, it feels semi lacking in the whole feeling married aspect.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look great! I really love engraved bands! Hopefully the polish will solve your concerns about the color.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it Dreamer. I can see what you saying about crisp, etc etc, but knowing you, you got a great price and I think it's a nice look so you can "feel" married for now (haha, as if you need a ring for that) and continue hunting for the perfect band.

I like the space in rings too, although oddly, because of the "spacer" ring that I have, my rings actually look flush from the top. Go figure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results