shape
carat
color
clarity

More spinel pics and some setting questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I think I will take a gamble and bezel it. Will let you guys know how it turns out!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
can''t wait to see it!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you sending it to Sally for the Freefly?

My Insta Bezel was tinfoil-I never thought to use a sticker-that was pretty slick.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
As TL said, I have argued against bezeling Barry''s stones, and the reason is the faceted girdle. I love me some faceted girdle, and it pains me to see it covered up. Big Blue''s setting was chosen deliberately because it showed off so much of the girdle, as well as it''s amazing profile view--I don''t know that I''ve seen a ring that shows off the stone from the side as much as that setting. (IMHO of course.)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 12:35:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
As TL said, I have argued against bezeling Barry''s stones, and the reason is the faceted girdle. I love me some faceted girdle, and it pains me to see it covered up. Big Blue''s setting was chosen deliberately because it showed off so much of the girdle, as well as it''s amazing profile view--I don''t know that I''ve seen a ring that shows off the stone from the side as much as that setting. (IMHO of course.)
Good point Freke, and I think people forget how much work goes into faceting a girdle instead of just rounding it off and leaving it unpolished, etc. . . It does show off the quality of the facetor. You really do appreciate Barry''s work!
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a good point.

I just don''t think freeflys setting would look right with prongs...

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I think it looks fine bezeled, but I hadn''t thought about the girdle...you could just do another lotus maybe?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The contrast to blue is orange, so I would think that yellow gold will make the blue pop the most! Not masking greay, but rather bringing out the color of the stone.

ETAAnd I vote no bezel based on Feke's comments and on the photo montage.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already have 2 lotuses and they sit so high that I don''t wear them to work. I could ask for a low set lotus?

Bah. You guys are making life so hard for me! Hehe. I will try and go through her sold prong set rings for some ideas then.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t Sally have a design that looks like the pillbox but is prong-set? Christie I think?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Christie setting is really pretty! My memory makes it seem like it sat high, but I''m sure Sally would do something lower for you!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 9:42:40 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Im definitely feeling the thin rope accent.
I''ve never seen rose and white two tone. Anyone have pics?
I''m late to this thread, but I wanted to point out that Sally did not do the rope or milgraining on Freefly''s ring. Freefly said she had that added later by a local jeweler who does exquisite milgraining. Sally did do the thicker rope on the blue topaz ring. I would just confirm with Sally that she can do the thin rope. Not doubting her talents at all (I have two of her pieces and a third in progress), just something I''d want to make clear upfront.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks karpouzi! I did ask, and she said it wouldn''t be a problem. :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love that setting and have been considering it for my new spinel. But I''m on the fence for the same reasons. Your spinel is very well cut and will look great no matter what you put it in.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I love faceted girdles as well. I love bezels, but I would save the style/look of the Freefly for another ring. Regardless of whether its prong set or bezeled, it will be beautiful.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 12:49:17 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
As TL said, I have argued against bezeling Barry's stones, and the reason is the faceted girdle. I love me some faceted girdle, and it pains me to see it covered up. Big Blue's setting was chosen deliberately because it showed off so much of the girdle, as well as it's amazing profile view--I don't know that I've seen a ring that shows off the stone from the side as much as that setting. (IMHO of course.)
Good point Freke, and I think people forget how much work goes into faceting a girdle instead of just rounding it off and leaving it unpolished, etc. . . It does show off the quality of the facetor. You really do appreciate Barry's work!
2.gif
I do. I really really do. Tee hee. And this isn't exclusive to Barry's work, but I think culets are the sexiest part of a stone.

Good grief I'm weird.

MTG--do what makes you happy!

ETA: The culet thing might be one reason I am not the biggest fan of cabs.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results