shape
carat
color
clarity

More spinel pics and some setting questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sun finally showed in Philadelphia, so naturally, more pictures! I also got the graininess to finally go away.

So my setting questions are:

1. What color would mask the grey in this stone the best?
2. Bezel or no bezel for this spinel?

IMG2856.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pardon my hairy fingers

IMG2855.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little more perspective for size

IMG2852.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tired of these yet?

IMG2846.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Barry''s cutting

IMG2840.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color lightens a bit in the holders.

IMG2838.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
last photo

IMG2809.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One ring I was considering was the "Freefly" from sally. But with a simple double bezel instead of rope, and in rose gold accents instead of yellow.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pic of that ring

sllyffly.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a bad photoshop mock up. Though I think I'd want 14k rose gold instead of yellow.

I'm also on the fence about the rope accent. I think I would like it if it didn't look so chunky and thick. It's kind of reminding me of a cruller, lol. Maybe it looks more delicate in person? Or maybe I should just make it a plain accent ring like in the photoshop?

Would bezeling bring out the grey?

mock.JPG

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I think your spinel looks gorgeous
30.gif

can''t tell about the gold choices though... but I''m sure it will look lovely

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is a gorgeous stone - such a pretty color! I don''t know what color gold would mask the grey the best. It will look great in that setting though. Doesn''t seem like bezeling will hurt that it because it seems so bright.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually just found FreeFly's original thread, and she has a thinner rope accent which I'm really liking.
DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree that two-tone is the way to go. Plain white would probably do a poor job of masking the grey, and while the other two metals might be better in that regard, using either of them alone could alter the stone''s color in a way you might not like. So white with yellow or rose is the best in my opinion. Bezeling probably won''t darken it too much cause it''s precision cut.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''m no help with the setting, but the stone is a beauty!

Would you do white gold with a tiny yellow gold rope accent on the bezel? The color of Sally''s YG is really rich, but maybe consider 18k yg for the accents?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone. Great colour. I think it would look great in that ring.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t help with the setting but I do love the stone. It has such gorgeous color!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Freefly''s setting is one of my all time faves, and I think your mock up looks great, as long as the rope stays thin like that. Mmm, that stone
1.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Your spinel is gorgeous! I love the thinner rope accent on that ring. I think you might be right with the rose gold although yellow wouldn''t be a bad choice either. I don''t think I''d go all white gold.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im definitely feeling the thin rope accent.
I''ve never seen rose and white two tone. Anyone have pics?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any pics off hand, but I''ve seen rose/white together in settings and I LOVE it. One place I can think of has funky ring settings..gooohhhh..the name escapes me. Oh, and Claude Thibaudeau

I''ll see if I can think of the other place too.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hiya MTG,

I really love the look of your spinel, such a nice blue. And freefly''s ring is gorgeous.
I may be tempted to prong this one though as they can tend toward darkness these spinel, no?

Actually, that was something I''ve been meaning to ask you - you may recall I''m having JKT make me a 5 stone bracelet. I''ve purchased all 5 but am unsure about one.
These spinels from BB could fit the bill, however the last time I ordered a blue from him it ended up just way too dark for my needs.
Is yours just like your photos IRL?

I would love to hear your impression of it in different lighting etc?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color can change and shift pretty wildly. Even in the above photos you can see it in light blue moods to darker medium blues. And it color shifts to periwinkle to violet purple.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the colour shifting all the time, I’m inclined to suggest going with a 2 stone (some yellow gold to mask any gray it might show sometimes) and also prong set. I like the thin rope bezel but I worry that since it sometimes becomes a little darker, it might become too dark for you (but I know you aren’t as fussed about dark stones) and might highlight the gray contrast too much? Have you tried cupping the stone to see how it simulates an enclosed setting?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with Chrono''s advise - and if you find a good prong setting, can you please post it here? I am still struggling with setting for my CC garnet, can''t find exactly what I want.

Gorgeous stone, congratulations!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would set it with prongs instead of a bezel because I really love the color and wouldn''t want to darken it. I really like Sally''s freefly with the thinner halo.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results