shape
carat
color
clarity

Mom''s ring is in the mail!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Layla, your moms ring turned out gorgeous!!! I really like the color of the peridot too, really pretty green.

You know, you are such a sweetheart. Your mother will love this ring.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Gailey, szh07, mochi, SDL, kribbie, chiquitapet, Chorno, Baby Blue, Gecko, Cinnamon, D&T, Stonehunter, Katiedid, Catmom, Isaku, Linda and princessplease. I think the peridot is pretty too. I got it at a gem show and it was in a pile of really junky ones -- the guy pulled up a chair for me when I asked for his calipers and loupe and I just sat there sifting. LOL. I wasn't planning on a concave cut but it really looked neat in that color. I hope she likes it. It's not like a diamond setting or anything truly expensive. But I don't really understand my mom's tastes with respect to diamond jewelry (they are very different from my own and it's inconsistent) so I thought something hand made by an artisan and unqiue, that incorporates her silver and god preference woudl be nice. Still wondering if I should have gone east/west though. But I was afraid that it would look too much like an eye that way.

Isaku, if she doesn't like it, it's yours. Promise.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely daughter you are, Layla. I love the clean, graceful lines and your mom will too
9.gif
Nice job!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-it''s so lovely! Julia does great work!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brava, Gypsy!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

That's a stunning one-of-a-kind ring! I'm sure your mother will love it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you icekid, VR, and packrat.... I''m all nervous. I can''t wait to see it tomorrow. I love it when a project is complete and you are waiting for it to arrive to see it in real life. Oh, I''m excited. So much fun. Custom is addictive.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
That really came out pretty.

BTW, my sister showed me a turquoise cab ring in a similar (in some ways) setting that you designed. I think she is looking for a wedding ring (she is not into traditional wedding rings) The seller wanted an insane amount of money for it. I showed her the sketch of your ring and an online turquoise to show her how she could do it for 1/2 price. She loved your ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LT, that''s a great story. I just bought 6 turquoise from a vendor one of our colored stone vendors recommended to me (because they didn''t have what I wanted and were just being really wonderful)and I''ll let you know how it turns out. They come in packs... so depending on the size you want, there are a number in a pack. I bought 3 6x8 and 3 8x10. I think it came to less than 35 bucks INCLUDING shipping. So I''ve got my fingers crossed.

Link

And I totally would work with Julia again. So yeah, probably less than half the price. Tell your sister thank you. My setting was very affordable... it''s Ar. Silver and 18K and it was....120 plus shipping. Which I thought was totally reasonable.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 1:27:45 AM
Author: Gypsy
LT, that''s a great story. I just bought 6 turquoise from a vendor one of our colored stone vendors recommended to me (because they didn''t have what I wanted and were just being really wonderful)and I''ll let you know how it turns out. They come in packs... so depending on the size you want, there are a number in a pack. I bought 3 6x8 and 3 8x10. I think it came to less than 35 bucks INCLUDING shipping. So I''ve got my fingers crossed.

Link

And I totally would work with Julia again. So yeah, probably less than half the price. Tell your sister thank you. My setting was very affordable... it''s Ar. Silver and 18K and it was....120 plus shipping. Which I thought was totally reasonable.

Thanks. Those are some good ideas. I will keep my sister posted, although I am not sure is she is just looking or ready to get something. However, I could see myself getting some turquoise and making her a necklace or something for christmas. The link you posted had some very pretty stones.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, this ring is beautiful, I really love it, and by the way you are describing your mom''s taste, I think she will flip over it!! Wow, it is so, so pretty!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy,
Did you ever post photos after you got this?
I would love to see some.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring, it''s gorgeous.
30.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen that type of setting. It''s gorgeous Gypsy!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic ring!
Love the color.
You really make me think about the setting, I am thinking of a marquise peridot set e/w and yes, that might really look like an eye...anyway, not to threadjack, letting you know that you keep me on my toes.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring Gypsy and you are such a lovely daughter.

We''ve seen some lovely peridot this week and Julia has done an awesome job with them. So I think I will send her my peridot too. Gypsy, will you check out my Pandora''s box thread later on in the weekend (Sunday afternoon). I have an idea for my peridot so I will post it there. Would love your opinion.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 3:20:09 PM
Thank you Gailey, szh07, mochi, SDL, kribbie, chiquitapet, Chorno, Baby Blue, Gecko, Cinnamon, D&T, Stonehunter, Katiedid, Catmom, Isaku, Linda and princessplease. I think the peridot is pretty too. I got it at a gem show and it was in a pile of really junky ones -- the guy pulled up a chair for me when I asked for his calipers and loupe and I just sat there sifting. LOL. I wasn''t planning on a concave cut but it really looked neat in that color. I hope she likes it. It''s not like a diamond setting or anything truly expensive. But I don''t really understand my mom''s tastes with respect to diamond jewelry (they are very different from my own and it''s inconsistent) so I thought something hand made by an artisan and unqiue, that incorporates her silver and god preference woudl be nice. Still wondering if I should have gone east/west though. But I was afraid that it would look too much like an eye that way.

Isaku, if she doesn''t like it, it''s yours. Promise.

I don''t really know how to highlight something after I''ve quoted it, but...I just wanted to chime in and say that it looks great the way it is. I love east west settings myself, but I really think that your ring looks great and that personally I really love your mom''s ring the way it is right now.
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Layla - you are the nicest daughter ever! The ring turned out lovely, and I''m sure she''ll be over the moon with it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww, what a sweet daughter!!! I bet she loves it
36.gif
36.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The ring is gorgeous.
emlove.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a BAD CS PSer. In my defense though... okay, have no defense. Promise I'll get pics up by the end of the weekend.

Ring has us GASPING when we opened the box, it was so delicate and fluid. Truly lovely, and it was so neat to be SO surprised since obviously we had seen Julia's finished pics. Looks nothing like a signet ring IRL BTW.
4.gif

Mom loved it. She really did. And it was a perfect fit. And I am so glad I got her a Peridot, because she always said she didn't like them, but then I didn't think she'd seen a nice one before. And that's one of the things she said... are you SURE this is a peridot? It's much richer and nicer than peridots I've seen.
1.gif

Thank you all for your kind words. Jula was very easy to deal with and I would definitely work with her again (actually she's sketching something for me now).

Swimmer, I kept worrying about Lord of the Rings (the movie) with the orange and black all seeing eye effect. Strange but true. I'd draw some settings around your stone on a piece of paper and see what you think. I have seen MANY marquise set east west that have looked nothing like eyes. With mine I wouldn't have felt that way BUT FOR the concave cut, which is kinda Iris-ish.

I will stop in Gailey. And if I don't take me to task for it. I've got my um... monthly illness (HA, as IF, if it's two weeks a month is it considered MONTHLY or just ALL THE TIME) right now laying me low so I will unfortunately likely be on painkillers much of this weekend, so my memory is gonna suck. So it won't be intentional if I forget, alright?

Thank you all, so wonderful of you. I am more than pleased with it. So is mom. Will post pics. I'm going to see my mom sometime this weekend, and she's got a camera (which I am still missing... where on earth did I put that thing?).

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 11:05:18 PM

I will stop in Gailey. And if I don''t take me to task for it. I''ve got my um... monthly illness (HA, as IF, if it''s two weeks a month is it considered MONTHLY or just ALL THE TIME) right now laying me low so I will unfortunately likely be on painkillers much of this weekend, so my memory is gonna suck. So it won''t be intentional if I forget, alright?
Respectfully snipped.

I''m sorry you are feeling awful Gypsy - I read your thread a while ago when you were quite ill. Two weeks out of a month is a lot to suffer through. Are both things connected? No need to answer if you don''t want to.

I''ll be thinking of you and meanwhile wanted to send you something warm and cuddly .....

hot water bottle.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an electric one Gailey and it gives comfort, thank you honey for the water bottle!

Yes it''s related. It just throws everything off when it starts.. all of my joints just hurt , I get bad headaches, then there are the more ''obvious'' pains. I''m feeliing better right now. And so I''m hoping that maybe later in the day things will continue to improve. I don''t like the painkillers, and hate taking them. So, I''m just taking advil every 6 hours right now. Hopefullly that will be enough (it hasn''t been the last 6 months, but I''m hoping). ((HUGS))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you to whoever it was that recommended windowsills. This is the most accurate one I was able to capture.

As promised, and much thanks for the patience...

original.aspx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. It reminds me a bit of James Meyer in the style of it and the beads of gold.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For scale, so you can see just how much that stone is the star, and the setting just really shows it off. The setting is just right in it''s scale. Anything heavier would have been overbearing. It''s delicacy really works for the design.

The color of the stone is not this dark (see pic above and below for color) ... I couldn''t get the flash, no flash thing right when it was on my hand. Excuse my dishpan hands.

original.aspx

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Picture is terrible but it shows the color of the stone, it's lovely, off so I decided to post it!

original.aspx

Thanks TL, mom likes it a lot and she was wearing it all day today, which was nice and it kept winking at me. I do love concave cuts on stones with a decent medium hue and a nice refractive index. This one really flashes and grabs you.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
aww!! it turned out lovely, and you are quite right, there is a delicacy to it despite its size. glad to hear your mom
30.gif
it, lol

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gosh Gypsy, it really is lovely - moreso in real life. When does your Mum get it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much kas, it's really nice when custom projects go well.

Gailey, she has it, she was just shy about her hands and so I used mine for the pics.
21.gif
She's been wearing it since last week when we gave it her.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results