shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon crafting a masterpiece-difficulty choosing side stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Help, well, I am very fortunate to have Leon Mege working on a custom ring. The center stone is a 1.90 c asscher G VS2, ex ex, I love it. Looking to put tapered bullets on the side, but having a difficult time visualizing the final product.

Should I use small or large bullets? The small set is .50 tcw and the large 1.12 tcw. I am thinking that something in between would do the trick...what do you think?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!

Hope the photos attach, I am technologically challenged!
28.gif

1673.JPG

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
AND the large ones....

1673_9.JPG

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I like the smaller side stones better. The larger ones seem to be cometeting with the center stone too much. I don''t think you need anything to compete with that beautiful asscher!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
I like the small ones much better- have you tried looking at it with just plain baguettes??

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, this is only my opinion but I like the smaller bullets better and honestly, I might even go smaller. Your center stone is fantastic and I think the larger ones just take away from the center stone. Either way it will be one gorgeous ring!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I'm not loving EITHER. IMO both bullets are way too long proportionally for the Asscher size. Even the small ones end up making the center stone look narrow. At least the way they are laid out in the pix, not 100% sure how it would be on the hand, but wouldn't want to risk it myself!

Are you set on side bullets? Would you ever consider baquettes, as in this - my fave pix?

ETA: the pix of the "large" bullet combo reminds me of those aiplane "wings" pins they used to give kids flying for the first time. N-O-T worthy of that AMAZING, AMAZING center stone!!!(IMO)

decopal.jpg

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Hi suziQ, lilyinet and catmom, thanks so much for the input....WOW everyone likes the smaller set.

When the stones are set, they will be angled down the shank a bit while the photos show them laying flat. I think that will make a difference in the total look.

Lilyinet, I did not consider baguettes, I had hoped to make the ring appear more substantial by using sidestones with a bit of a presence.

My other concern is that the bullet on the left in the small set looks glassy....maybe it''s just the photo, but it doesn''t seem to have much life. What do you think?

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Hey decodelighted,

I am sitting in front of my computer laughing like an idiot....

Gee, I didn''t catch the airplane wing pin, but now I remember. When I was a child and flew on a jet for the first time, I was given one of those pins...TOOOO FUNNY!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Love the ring that Deco Delighted posted!

About the glassy appearance- it''s probably just something with the photograph- the left baguette seems to be at a different angle than the left, which would make a difference in the photo...whatever setting you choose, it''s going to be gorgeous!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey BB,

Glad you thought the Airplane thing was funny! I almost didn't post it!

I know what you mean about wanting to make it "more substantial" ... I had the same issue in picking a setting for a 1.5 asscher (as I have VERY LARGE JUMBO MITS). Will post pix as soon as the "deed" is done so to speak.

I considered this Leon setting, replacing the sapphire with a center Asscher, keeping the baquettes around the face and setting sapphires along the sides ... but thought that was better suited for a RHR than my e-ring.

Asschers are so tricky .. ya don't want to distract from their geometry, but ...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this, your other pieces are so purty!

Deco

ETA: Was also thinking of making it split shank & keeping the band part plain or engraved (no stones)
18.gif
18.gif

r014-02-01W-2.jpg

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Decodelighted...

Your killin'' me here...your mits?! I''m not going to get any work done I''m laughing too hard!

Actually, this is for a RHR.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 11:05:29 AM
Author: Catmom
Well, this is only my opinion but I like the smaller bullets better and honestly, I might even go smaller. Your center stone is fantastic and I think the larger ones just take away from the center stone. Either way it will be one gorgeous ring!
I agree. I think that both sets you showed are way too big and overpowering.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree -- I''m not a huge fan of the bullets, but it is hard to envision from the 2D view

However, I absolutely love the first picture that decoded posted. it is brilliant!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I definately think both sets are too big for the diamond. I think having smaller stones make the center look larger. Using bigger stones actually makes it look smaller. I also prefer the baguettes.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on your exact ring once. It was stunning... I really liked the way the bullets looked against the asscher. I think the way it''s placed in the picture makes it seem like the smaller would be better, but it might be helpful to see how they would look on an actual ring.

widget

Ideal_Rock
BB!!!! How exciting!

My thoughts on the side bullets...I like them, and probably would prefer the smaller pair, only shorter, too.

I understand your wanting heft and agree that for that bullets are better than baguettes for that.

For the heck of it, I tried to "shorten" the bullets in the pictures below...I think both sizes look better shorter. What do you think?

What fun for you!
3.gif

widget

Untch.jpg

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Widget...your good!

That really helps, as the stones will be set on an angle down the side of the shank. They do look much better, shorter!

Thanks again,

BB

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the smaller and shorter bullets that widget "designed".
1.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 11:14:16 AM
Author: decodelighted
Actually I''m not loving EITHER. IMO both bullets are way too long proportionally for the Asscher size. Even the small ones end up making the center stone look narrow. At least the way they are laid out in the pix, not 100% sure how it would be on the hand, but wouldn''t want to risk it myself!

Are you set on side bullets? Would you ever consider baquettes, as in this - my fave pix?

ETA: the pix of the ''large'' bullet combo reminds me of those aiplane ''wings'' pins they used to give kids flying for the first time. N-O-T worthy of that AMAZING, AMAZING center stone!!!(IMO)
ON THE MONEY!

they are too long................trapezoids or short baguettes............even half moons. you something that hugs the sides of the asscher. it looks too airplane-y

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 11:54:14 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I like the smaller and shorter bullets that widget ''designed''.
1.gif

Me too!

But, I have to agree with the others here that a different shape such as baguettes might be even better....

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Or have you considered doing a halo setting like Kaleigh''s?

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Kaleigh''s ring is beautiful, but when I tried on the Daniel K version, it just didn''t work on my hand. I really need a little width.

All great suggestions everyone, thanks again!

BB

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the majority that both sets of sides are too big and airplane like..

Here''s another pic of a ring on leon''s site. i like how this one looks

r325-62W.jpg

r325-50W.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a thread on 3-stone rings. Maybe one will inspire you!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
this one is nice with the traps

r317-10W.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH WAIT!!! did you see this one??

r210-03W.jpg

or this??

r221-10W.jpg

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Hi mssalvo,

Actually, the r221-10 is the inspiration for my ring. I just spoke with Leon and he will try to get bullets that are shorter and a little bit chunkier.

Thanks,

BB

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oooh I like the widget redesign too! what a gorgeous ring it will be
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
anything Leon will be fabulous, I can''t wait to see this one too
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results