carat
color
clarity

Leon and AVCs

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Street|1296517642|2838662 said:
It would be such a shame if he stopped setting AVCs or other vendors stones :nono: ;(

I'm totally guessing here, but I wonder if what sets off the competitor issues are 1) how and what people are asking (and perceived seriousness of intent) and 2) his particular mood, state of business, workload, etc. - for whatever it's worth. There needs to be a primer stickied for PSers on how to approach LM... jk. Sort of. And even then it might be a crapshoot.

Wintotty, LALove, AnaSpark: :oops: That's so nice you want to see pix! I had a photoshoot this weekend so will try to get to SMTB soon! Though it's a little intimidating posting in the current swirl of LM controversy! ah well, nothing new I guess. :???:

LoveStreet, I was feeling a little concerned about you having a new LM ring when all this controversy is going on! But I want to assure you that I appreciate Leon's work and will certainly be delighted to celebrate your new ring with you!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really sorry to hear that Leon is doing this. Evidently, he has enough work and doesn't need the extra business. I love
Victor Canera ring by Angietaren. The only thing I noted was that the cut of the first french cut set next to the round
didn't have the same little curved sides that Win's did. At least that is what it looked like to me. Could I live with that?
Absolutely!!! I am thinking he might be a great replacement for Leon.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wintotty, LALove, AnaSpark: :oops: That's so nice you want to see pix! I had a photoshoot this weekend so will try to get to SMTB soon! Though it's a little intimidating posting in the current swirl of LM controversy! ah well, nothing new I guess. :???:

We can appreciate nice bling even if we'd never use the vendor ourselves. We'll be glad that you're pleased and proud of it. So bring on the bling!

sdr53

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. In answer to one of the comments, I asked in a very nice and polite manner. In fact, I simply filled out the quote request form on Leon's website, like they ask you to do. I requested one quote, for one specific halo setting. As far as seriousness, I filled in the form noting that I already had the stone, so I presume it would be obvious that I was seriously interested.

I don't see the benefit in requesting a quote and not mentioning it's an AVC. It would be pretty obvious when he received the stone, and it's also obvious I didn't purchase it from Leon.

I think I'll give Leon a call tomorrow, and report how it goes.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I'm waiting on a ring from him, literally any day now. He gave me no trouble at any time during design and didn't bat an eye when I told him I had my own stone. It's an RB however.
So far I've been very please w/ him.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
sdr53 - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you specifically had said something wrong or were not serious (I started that other Leon thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/questions-for-psers-whove-sent-stones-to-leon.150301/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/questions-for-psers-whove-sent-stones-to-leon.150301/[/URL] where this topic of AVCs was mentioned, b/c other PSers have had similar "bristling" by Leon upon mentioning a competitor or perhaps perceived lack of seriousness there).

I also mentioned "AVC" in the quote form when I first contacted him, although I didn't have my stone yet. He actually called me and asked that I talk to Perry - and I gave Perry a fair shot at sourcing what I was looking for (Warm, Big and Cheap :lol:) and they didn't have the lower color/clarity selection that GOG had (and my heart belonged to the AVCs anyway). When I got my stone a month later, I sent another quote request hoping that he had forgotten about my AVC gaffe (he hadn't), to which I received the reply that essentially, "two quotes is enough!" Ultimately, he was nice on the phone and didn't hold the GOG thing against me - perhaps since he felt I gave Perry a shot? Idk.

But I remember asking every other PSer that was sending an AVC to Leon, "how did you couch it? Was there an issue? What was your 'excuse' for having an AVC?" I'm not sure if you're a guy or a girl, but I remember Ruup's response was very matter of fact, saying that his girlfriend fell in love with that particular diamond and so be it. (His thread where I pester: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-in-a-leon-setting.149691/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-in-a-leon-setting.149691/page-2[/URL]).

Best of luck and please keep us posted on how your phone call goes. He was much easier to interact with on the phone than via email from my experience (and others have reported as well.). I truly hope he will make the ring you want.

(And thx for the encouragement Andelain, Luv2Sparkle, & Diamondseeker!)

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
luv2sparkle|1296518642|2838684 said:
Love Street, I am waiting anxiously too!!! Checking over and over to see if they are there yet!!!! Please post pics!!!!

Me too!!! please post away. we promise to gush over your precious!!!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1296519826|2838727 said:

We can appreciate nice bling even if we'd never use the vendor ourselves. We'll be glad that you're pleased and proud of it. So bring on the bling!
+1,000,000!!! :bigsmile: Just because I don't prefer his business methods doesn't mean I don't find his jewelry stunning- there's no denying that his creations are beautiful works of art :love: ::) And I am so happy for you that you had a good experience and love your ring!!! :appl: :bigsmile:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Oops double post

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LoveStreet, your ring will be stunning. Just have it appraised for quality if you are worried. I can attest to the fact that Neil Beaty will not pull his punches and will do his job and advocate for you if there is any issue. He did it for me. And having my ring appraised after I had my diamond reset was just a mindclean thing.

On the AVC, Mark and Leon thing... Leon just can't stand competition. If he has the best product at the best price then he'll get the deal... that goes for center stones too. Now, if he is willing to buy an ASET and get Perry's chunky cushions the same level of testing and information and scanning that GOG does... then maybe he'd have less to worry about the competition. Mark finally gave in and bought an ASET (had some trouble working the thing at the start, but seems to have the hang of it)... it's all about keeping up with the market's demands. If his diamonds get the same light return as Jon's go and are as visually pleasing to folks who like that look (and I'm not one of them, I fully admit that I don't get the AVC thing) then he'll get sales. But no, he has to throw tantrums and bully people into buying diamonds from him.

There's the classy way to handle competition. Then there is Leon's way. Never the twain shall meet. :rolleyes: Like I said, this isn't the first time. He did it to Mark too.

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
LOL you guys are too funny! (OK to prevent further threadjacking, I will be sure to post at least few pix tonight - thank you for the peer pressue as I was hesitating!)

ETA: Gypsy - thank you. I'm actually not too worried about quality issues being discussed since the ring is a different style than the ones being discussed, but since it's still platinum and is the nicest priciest thing I own, it will get more TLC then its predecessor!

But back to sdr's question - I was browsing around Leon's website trying to find his policies on accepting other vendors' stones (because I remembered reading something to the effect of "we will set others' stones..." and I came across his new FAQ... yikes! :shock: :!:

These were under "Insightful" and "Annoying", respectively:

"Q: Can I source a diamond somewhere else?
A: Yes you can, BUT why would you do it? Our Diamond Concierge™ Service is a better way to buy a diamond. We practically guarantee to beat anybody's price. You always have an option to bring your own stone, but before you buy your stone elsewhere please give us a call.
There are very few "unauthorized" dealers whose stones Leon will refuse to accept. Great majority of the dealers in the trade are honest, trustworthy people and we don't have any issues that would prevent us from using their stones. Please check with Leon whether you are buying your stone from a legitimate source or you are about to be "taken"." (Emphasis added. Is he talking about GOG, ERD or someone else?).

There is also this interesting one :o :

"Q: I would like to buy one of your chunky cushions, are they different from other antique cuts?
A: Personally, I would not use the word “Chunky” when it comes to something refined like a diamond. The word is better applied to poorly digested food on it’s way out in the wrong direction.
Leon Megé offers CLASSIC TRADITIONAL ANTIQUE CUSHION DIAMONDS as part of our overall Diamond Concierge® service. These stones were cut the same way for hundreds of years without having a dubious pleasure of having a cheesy brand name. No matter whether these stones are called “Fermented in July” or “Antiquated in April” they are still antique cushions and we have the best cut, best selection, the best prices and most importantly - the know-how of the ancient jewelry art. Even a poor chunky wannabe could do well in a Leon Megé setting, but imagine a breathtaking beauty of a real antique cushion set there!"

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love Street|1296526916|2838850 said:
LOL you guys are too funny!

(OK to prevent further threadjacking, I will be sure to post at least few pix tonight - thank you for the peer pressue as I was hesitating!)

But back to sdr's question - I was browsing around Leon's website trying to find his policies on accepting other vendors' stones (because I remembered reading something to the effect of "we will set others' stones..." and I came across his new FAQ... yikes!

These were under "Insightful" and "Annoying", respectively:

"Q: Can I source a diamond somewhere else?
A: Yes you can, BUT why would you do it? Our Diamond Concierge™ Service is a better way to buy a diamond. We practically guarantee to beat anybody's price. You always have an option to bring your own stone, but before you buy your stone elsewhere please give us a call.
There are very few "unauthorized" dealers whose stones Leon will refuse to accept. Great majority of the dealers in the trade are honest, trustworthy people and we don't have any issues that would prevent us from using their stones. Please check with Leon whether you are buying your stone from a legitimate source or you are about to be "taken"." (Emphasis added. Is he talking about GOG, ERD or someone else?).

There is also this interesting one :o :

"Q: I would like to buy one of your chunky cushions, are they different from other antique cuts?
A: Personally, I would not use the word “Chunky” when it comes to something refined like a diamond. The word is better applied to poorly digested food on it’s way out in the wrong direction.
Leon Megé offers CLASSIC TRADITIONAL ANTIQUE CUSHION DIAMONDS as part of our overall Diamond Concierge® service. These stones were cut the same way for hundreds of years without having a dubious pleasure of having a cheesy brand name. No matter whether these stones are called “Fermented in July” or “Antiquated in April” they are still antique cushions and we have the best cut, best selection, the best prices and most importantly - the know-how of the ancient jewelry art. Even a poor chunky wannabe could do well in a Leon Megé setting, but imagine a breathtaking beauty of a real antique cushion set there!"

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

Okay. I find I have to repeat myself.

There is the classy way of handling competition and there is Leon's way.

And... frankly, I'm thinking about reporting Leon to Andrey. Seriously. Leon is a PS advertising vendor. His behavior and his comments are disgraceful and frankly unethical.

It's none of his fricken business where I get my diamond from (hypothetical as I only have the one asscher and it's not from his 'hit list' vendors and I've had it for years)... either set it or don't.

I have no words for how livid the above makes me.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Wow.

I'm not sure I have ever seen anything quite like that.

Irreverent websites?

Of course.

But not one that clearly demonstrates how much the proprietor completely and totally hates the customer.

Just wow.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow.
Leon Mege insults Good Old Gold's August Vintage Cushions.

He is unbelievable.
Leon Mege reminds me of poorly digested FERMENTED food on it’s way out in the wrong direction.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Is it me or does the second part seem to strongly indicate that Leon's cushions are genuine antiques? (Which obviously they aren't.) At best it's worded very misleadingly in that respect.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
That FAQ section doesnt surprise me unfortunately. This is a man who puts down his OWN customer's rings (that HIS bench made) on his site! :nono: He will end up going the way of the dinosaur eventually if he doesn't change his ways. I've seen it happen many times in my line of work- bad attitude and poor service = out of business.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness.

I really don't know whether to laugh or just gape.

HOW in the world does the man still have customers? How in the world does he find anyone willing to pay to put up with his nonsense??

In any case, he has ensured that it is not GOG that will be losing any business here.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
LGK|1296528087|2838875 said:
Is it me or does the second part seem to strongly indicate that Leon's cushions are genuine antiques? (Which obviously they aren't.) At best it's worded very misleadingly in that respect.

I've always found this wording confusing. Are they antique? Are they his "interpretation" of antique cuts, i.e., specially cut to his specs (if so, how can he slam GOG's AVC's when he's doing the same thing)? Or is he simply sourcing cushion cut stones from a wholesaler, like any number of jewelers out there?

The wording is very misleading.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
lily1120|1296503659|2838383 said:
I would like to add one thing as someone who has a Leon soliaire... he is such a pompous, arrogant man :angryfire: !! ok.. maybe two things.. what I was going to say is that, you know how we all rave and think his double claw prongs are so amazing? Well be surprised by this- I took my brother in law to purchase a stone with Yekutiel from ID Jewelery. He ended up going with him for the setting also, a double claw prong setting. In my head i was like " sure your double prongs are going to be nice but not as nice as my Leon" Boy did I eat those words. ID Jewelry's double prongs were just as good i couldn't tell the difference at all!. I am currently trying to get Leon to reset a new stone into my old setting that is a bit bigger than the old stone and I'm pretty sure he's going to be negative about it and tell me I need a whole new setting. If he does I am totally taking my ring to IDJ and getting them to mess with the head and set the new stone. hmph!

Hm..I'm pretty sure the double claw prongs were made famous by Harry Winston many many years ago.
Most of Harry Winston pieces especially the older ones, have those sharp double claws.
In fact, I see a lot of similarities in Leon's work to Harry Winston designs.
I wonder if he worked there before?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1296495471|2838261 said:
Every AVC he sets is a lost diamond sale for him.
Sure, any outside diamond he sets is a lost diamond sale, but I think this policy is his way of competing with a very very popular cut he's getting sick of seeing.

While this seems petty and nasty, keep in mind all business IS all about money, not some code of niceness.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind, but I have to say this Leon is especially difficult to keep up with considering his apparently mercurial nature.

Everyday it seems like a new "Leon did this" or "Leon did that" thread.

I like businesses and businesspeople who treat all customers according the same set of policies and fairly.

There might not be a code of niceness but there certainly should be a code of ethics.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
There are very few "unauthorized" dealers whose stones Leon will refuse to accept. Great majority of the dealers in the trade are honest, trustworthy people and we don't have any issues that would prevent us from using their stones. Please check with Leon whether you are buying your stone from a legitimate source or you are about to be "taken"."

Wow, he is simply lying, six ways to Sunday.

I have no more respect for the man.

It just disappeared.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1296504309|2838398 said:
FYI, if any of his senior benchmen are reading this. LEAVE HIM AND START YOUR OWN SHOP!

Get someone who has great phone and email skills is NICE to customers and can close a sale.

You'll have that arse out of business before he knows what hit him!

hahahaha! this +1!

BTW, I have been watching work by Victor Canera for a little while now, he has a lot of potential... and he's young ;-)

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
BTW a while ago Leon used to talk a lot of crap about some of his customers, do any of you remember this pithy comment that he stated on his website? "Princess cut diamonds - very modern way of setting channel - wide walls, too much metal. Customer wanted - who am I to question bad taste?"

That statement was posted here on his site: http://www.artofplatinum.com/portfolio/details.php?image_id=315 the link is dead now... possibly after it was posted here on PS or maybe it was just moved to a different area of his webpage.

While I admire his witty banter sometimes I can't imagine why it's ever okay to speak about a customer in such a way. It shows a clear disdain for the individual who had this setting made. It's just so unprofessional.

I've dealt with him a few times and I used to admire him for trying to remain true to his artistic vision. I actually respected the fact that he had his own style and didn't want to deal with people who wanted to change his pieces too much. I can give him a pass on all that, but I can't respect someone who literally talks down to people... especially when it comes to something as precious as an e-ring. It puts a damper on the whole process.

I honestly think that he assumes this is a good marketing technique. I think he's putting on a show. I've had some decent conversations w/ him in person during my last NYC trip and over the phone where I felt like he let his guard down and was just down to earth. I feel like he's acting this way in order to promote some sort of mystique that some people look for when wanting custom made pieces of clothing/jewelery etc. He's his own jewelry version of Studio 54. I think he likes these stories, it adds to the whole idea of what he's trying to sell...unique exclusivity. I doubt that it will backfire on him, he's already made a name for himself and I doubt anything will change that.

I will never give him my hard earned money simply because I think it has become a bit inflated and the craftsmanship isn't what it was a few yeas ago when he was designing and working on the entire (or specific aspects of each) piece himself. I can't imagine paying a bunch of money to a diva who now basically oversees the process. It's not worth the cost AND the "divaness" if I am going to spend $4k+ on a setting (which I simply can't afford to do right now) I would rather go with someone whose just straight professional and gets the job done without all the fuss.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its a bit of a show too. He's the soup Nazi of the jewelry world. I can't believe this is the same man who was so kind and comforting when a member here's cat passed away and make her an "M" pendant to remember her by.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked Jonathan if he was aware that Leon was giving grief to AVC stones and I believe he's aware. I also asked him
If he has a good bench jeweler who can do good pave and to start displaying their custom work and he said they do have a good bench and they are working on the custom work (I'm not sure if he meant displaying it or doing it). I hope that they begin to do some custom work (they already have many beautiful stock and designer settings) so they can do it all. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

As far as Leon bashing the AVC it's his own work he's losing. In the year the AVC have Been out they've sold quite a few of them and Leona set many of them too. If he refuses to set AVC he's going to lose a lot of business bc you can't find another AVC but you can find other pave vendors and other people who make beautiful settings wo the discrimination and bs that Leon comes with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got my AVC from GOG, I asked Jon if he would send it to Leon on my behalf since both are in NY. It was then that Jon informed me that Leon didn’t think well of GOG and advised me to send it myself, so they are definitely well aware of that fact.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1296561344|2839164 said:
I think its a bit of a show too. He's the soup Nazi of the jewelry world. I can't believe this is the same man who was so kind and comforting when a member here's cat passed away and make her an "M" pendant to remember her by.

I think it's a selling ploy to have an air of aloofness and rudeness to some people, like JAR, and others in certain retail business.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1296576622|2839384 said:
herekittykitty|1296561344|2839164 said:

I think it's a selling ploy to have an air of aloofness and rudeness to some people, like JAR, and others in certain retail business.

Agree. And he has enough work where he can afford to do this. It also weeds out the customers he doesn't want to work with.

While I had a great experience with him (I was so surprised that he came across a really nice guy), I still would be hesitant to do a round 2, just because it seems like you never know what you're going to get with him!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
reading this thread, it seems that leon is getting worse.....

i don't care how creative his designs are or how good his bench people are, he would be too difficult for me to work with.

i'm glad that pricescopers post their feedback and/or experiences. its the only way that the rest of us can determine if we want to risk working with such a vendor long distance.

i don't have a problem with him limiting his business to only stones that he sources. it is his business and he can run it accordingly. its the nasty attitude i can live without and thus i would not be inclined to source from him........but its his business and his choice.

MoZo

ps i'm also glad that those with good experiences post that as well. keeps it honest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results