shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser Hair Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I go to Sona MedSpa. They have several CA locations but I am not sure how close they are to LA.

http://www.sonamedspa.com/List_of_Locations.388.0.html

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone recommend a good laser place in NYC?

W2W

Rough_Rock
I second the request for NYC recommendations. Moremoremore where are you? We''d love to hear about your person.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Check out this messageboard:

http://www.consumerbeware.com/forum/

I bet you''ll find NYC recs there....

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have recommendations for a lazer hair removal place in NY? I don''t want to get
29.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just got my 5th (and maybe last) treatment a few weeks ago. The nurse said I would be very happy. Most the hair follicles are gone according to her. I still have a patch that is kind of thick so she made a note on my chart and said they might give me a free additional treatment (though additional treatments are half off, basically the same price as a waxing so it isn''t a HUGE deal to get another one). For some reason the last one was the most painful. She did seem to be slower/careful. She was very nice. I told her the previous 4 always said it wouldn''t hurt this time and then I felt like a baby when it always did. She said she NEVER tells anyone that it doesn''t hurt but that it is worth it. It looks like I have a few burns on my butt. I am hoping they will fade. So we will see and I will make sure to keep you all updated. I feel like a test animal. All my friends want it but are waiting to see my results before they fork out the cash (I don''t blame them
2.gif
)

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori,

I SO appreciate your candor, openness and detail about something we all are curious about! I am of Hispanic, Italian, and Swedish heiritage so my underarms are yuck...in my opinion. I have been getting them waxed now for about a year but I have not been entirely happy with the results. My skin is a slightly deeper olive complexion in my underarm area and it looks not very nice, if you know what I mean, despite the waxing. I will try to refrain from anything gross on my description of things, so here it goes...

I have a few skin tags under my left underarm and this makes it a challenge for the esthetician to effectively get a good result. She also mentioned to me after one particular session that my skin seemed to be getting a light rash more often and that I might have to consider laser removal due to the skin''s response to waxing. I do not always get a rash but it has happened at least twice. She also mentioned--and I wondered if your technician might have mentioned anything to you about this--that hyperpigmentation, which she suspects I probably have, can be quite effectively managed with laser hair removal in the underarm area.

Have you heard anything about this or could you ask?

I plan to make myself an appt. right after I get through an 8th grader promoting out of jr. high this week, a high school senior graduating this week and a dance recital overwith this month. Whew! I SO need some ME time!
emembarrassed.gif

Also, I know my plastic surgeons''s office has an esthetician/technician who does laser hair removal. What do I need to check on before committing to a series of treatments? Obviously price is one part, but I am very concerned about criterion...

Could you direct me a little on this? Thanks SO much!
emhot.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t you just wish there was a "pricescope" for everything?

I can''t find any posting boards with any info on local recommendations for laser hair removal. I STILL want something, perferably permanent, done to my eyebrows. But if you saw me, you would understand. I have dark, clearly defined eyebrows against fair skin. When I have stragglers, they are obvious and I just want a nice clean line.

anyhooooo, I DID discover www.angieslist.com, which is good for referrals on home contractors. I guess you could post on craigslist.com to find local recommendations.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the updates tacori. i hope the long term results are better than you even expected!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 10:08:45 PM
Author: dbgaap
Don''t you just wish there was a ''pricescope'' for everything?

I can''t find any posting boards with any info on local recommendations for laser hair removal. I STILL want something, perferably permanent, done to my eyebrows. But if you saw me, you would understand. I have dark, clearly defined eyebrows against fair skin. When I have stragglers, they are obvious and I just want a nice clean line.

anyhooooo, I DID discover www.angieslist.com, which is good for referrals on home contractors. I guess you could post on craigslist.com to find local recommendations.

Where do you live? They will remove hair from everywhere and anywhere so the eyebrow area is doable. You do have to stay relatively tan free through the whole process for the best results. That was a pain for me (but even harder I would think for the face). Fair skin + dark hair is very good for the laser! Charlotte is pretty cosmetic obessed so all the ads on the radio are for botox, teeth whitening, laser hair removal....so that is how I chose my place (which is a national chain I guess). They were very professional and made me feel very comfortable.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeannaBana-the only thing I remember about any pigment issues is if you go in the sun too soon (before 7-10 days after a treatment) you can get white spots (loss of pigment) and she said it could take months or even a year for it to go back to normal. She said it is NOT a pretty look. I have not noticed any color change in either my under arms or bikini area. The "burns" are the only thing I noticed and it only happened this last time. I would call a local spa/dr and tell them about your specific situation. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I am a very open person and I posted in order to help discribe the process for people thinking about getting it done. I am more excited about my underarms than anything because I HATE how fast my hair grows there. It is insane! I''ll let you know if how much regrowth I see in a month or so.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 11:31:02 AM
Author: belle
thanks for the updates tacori. i hope the long term results are better than you even expected!

Thanks Belle! I know lots of people seemed on the fence about getting this done so hopefully my experience helps.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
THIS IS FABULOUS!!! I''m middle eastern... which is a polite way of saying HAIRY. Fortunately I''m not dark skinned at all... but my facial hair!! I have to pluck everyday and that''s after waxing once a week. My wax lady keeps trying to get me to do electrolysis but I''m chicken. And laser was so cost prohibitive when I looked into it a few years ago (like... 7 years ago)... I''m defintely going to have to check out places and rates in my area thanks to this thread. I want to start at my head... and go move down slowly. First the face... then my arms... my underarms... oh... baby! All the way down to my toes. FABULOUS!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 8:23:30 PM
Author: Gypsy
THIS IS FABULOUS!!! I''m middle eastern... which is a polite way of saying HAIRY. Fortunately I''m not dark skinned at all... but my facial hair!! I have to pluck everyday and that''s after waxing once a week. My wax lady keeps trying to get me to do electrolysis but I''m chicken. And laser was so cost prohibitive when I looked into it a few years ago (like... 7 years ago)... I''m defintely going to have to check out places and rates in my area thanks to this thread. I want to start at my head... and go move down slowly. First the face... then my arms... my underarms... oh... baby! All the way down to my toes. FABULOUS!!!

The prices are similar to waxing (per visit). So far so good. I haven''t noticed any regrowth but it is still early.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
UPDATE:
I just wanted to update those who are interested. I think after one more treatment I will be totally hair free. I did have some regrowth but it is lighter, finer and are maybe a few dozen hairs. It always looks like I just got waxed (except for the few strays). I am really happy with it. I am not sure when I will go in for my touch-up (after my wedding for sure). I also just got my teeth whitened. Isn''t it funny how you do all these drastic things right before your wedding that you never cared about before.
20.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, too funny! I''m Armenian so I can completely relate. I always say that I should just be dipped in a vat of wax! I''m definitely considering laser but I''m more scared about the $$$ than the actual pain.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2006 9:00:39 PM
Author: curlygirl

Gypsy, too funny! I''m Armenian so I can completely relate. I always say that I should just be dipped in a vat of wax! I''m definitely considering laser but I''m more scared about the $$$ than the actual pain.

I am not sure what part of the country you live in but here I spent around $1,000 for five treatments for both my bikini area and underarms....so it isn''t so bad when you break it down. HTH

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I did laser hair removal on just my underarms about 2 years ago. The cost was $700 for 5 sessions, but prices have gone down considerably as LHR has become more popular. I would absolutely recommend it... I often say it was an investment in my sanity. I can''t tell you how many times I would wear a sleeveless shirt in the summer and be self-conscious all DAY about lifting my arms. For some reason the hair there was always worse than anywhere else on my body (I have light hair on my legs and arms), and even immediately after I shaved, my underarms just looked dark. I remember going to the beach one day and my brother made a sarcastic comment like "nice of you to shave", when I just had, like 20 minutes before! Anyway, I figured if paying $700 would eliminate all that, then it was worth the money. And it was!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results