shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser Hair Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I just went for my third treatment (out of five) of laser hair removal. I just wanted to see if anyone is or has done the same treatments and how happy you are with the results. Sometimes I feel so silly to spend so much on removing hair and othertimes I feel like its a bargin!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 5:31:04 PM
Author:Tacori E-ring
So, I just went for my third treatment (out of five) of laser hair removal. I just wanted to see if anyone is or has done the same treatments and how happy you are with the results. Sometimes I feel so silly to spend so much on removing hair and othertimes I feel like its a bargin!

My dermatologist thinks it does not work. She prefers electrolysis at the moment (and she has no affiliation with an electrolygist.) She says that some dermatologists invest in the laser machinery and are then trapped into doing it, but that electrolysis is the only proven method of hair removal at this point.

Deborah

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I HAVE noticed a difference. My hair is finer and grows back lighter so I do think it is working. I am not sure in the long run however. I have a friend who went to the same place I go a year or so ago and she LOVES the results. She is getting her whole body done.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 6:01:30 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Well I HAVE noticed a difference. My hair is finer and grows back lighter so I do think it is working. I am not sure in the long run however. I have a friend who went to the same place I go a year or so ago and she LOVES the results. She is getting her whole body done.

Good luck and keep me apprised! Is it painful? I take my daughter for electrolysis :).

Deb

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2005 6:21:28 PM
Author: AGBF
Good luck and keep me apprised! Is it painful? I take my daughter for electrolysis :).

Deb

You are such a nice mom taking your daughter for electrolysis! I wish my mom had. Deb, I am not going to lie, it is painful. I have a small tatoo on my spine and that hurt less. I told this to the nurse and she said that the laser goes 3 mms deep. BUT each treatment gets less painful because the hair get thinner (you can tell what area they are going over my the pain.) and it is very quick. The laser has some kind of cooling fan on it so that helps. I am getting my underarms and bikini area done and in total I would estimate it takes her maybe 5-7 mins. So I can handle 7 mins of pain if it means smooth hair free skin. The underarm actually hurts MORE than my bikini area. I have never gotten a wax so I cannot compare it to that. I don''t know what electroysis feels like but I imagine it is like getting a tatoo. I probably had 25 % hair lose (didn''t grow back) after two treatments so I am very optimistic. Maybe this time I will be up to 50%. My next appointment isn''t for 4 months (something about the hair growth cycle) I''ll be done with all the treatments right before my wedding.
36.gif
Can''t wait!

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2005 5:58:02 PM
Author: AGBF

My dermatologist thinks it does not work. She prefers electrolysis at the moment (and she has no affiliation with an electrolygist.) She says that some dermatologists invest in the laser machinery and are then trapped into doing it, but that electrolysis is the only proven method of hair removal at this point.

Deborah
I agree...I have had electrolysis treatments for years (multiple areas) and believe it is the only proven method. It is painful but depends on the area being treated and the type of method being used. Additionally you can use a topical anesthesia (I use Emla, need a prescription to get it) that makes it completely painless in some areas, which is great! There are a few downfalls like the time commitment involved, the high cost, and the fact that the hair has to be treated multiple times, but it has helped me so much and it is worth every minute and every penny.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 7:50:16 PM
Author: rms
It is painful but depends on the area being treated and the type of method being used. Additionally you can use a topical anesthesia (I use Emla, need a prescription to get it) that makes it completely painless in some areas, which is great!

I use LMX cream on my daughter. When I had electrolysis no one told me there was anything one could use. (Maybe then there wasn''t anything!) The current electrolygist says the old machines (like the kind used on me when I was young) were much more painful. I have had a touch-up now and then with my daughter''s electrolygist. I don''t mind the "pain", but it''s hard on my daughter. That''s why I was curious about the pain that came with the laser hair removal!

Deb

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Laser absolutely works..*ON ME* I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT. Each person is different....I had it done before I got married three years ago and the area is smooth as a baby's butt...I'm currently going back for more with the plan to become a hairless ratt LOL... IT only works on dark hair and fair skin for the most part...It's so cheap for me now...her rates are amazing .... I'm going in for my legs on the 6th of oct! SO exciting...And cheap compared to electrolysis b/c of the time involved...

And if anyone has had electrolysis here, you'll know that the "pain" of laser is non-existant in comparison! It was VERY painful....Laser is like a tiny rubber band snap...and a huge area can be covered in minutes.

I think it's the very bet investment I've ever made on myself!

Geez, I got my tattoo (on my fat butt LOL so there was lots of meat) when I turned 21 (11 years ago) and don't remember much of the pain..but electrolysis SUCKS....I'm actually going back to have my stupid tatoo turned into a beautiful black cat tatoo!! But I'm NEVER going back for electrolysis! OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMM- maybe I am just a baby but I think the laser hurts. I have numbing cream but it DOES NOT work. The nurse was saying a lot of people were complaining so maybe it was a bad batch.
33.gif
The first and second sessions were the worst. But it is so quick is not horrible (I don''t scream or cry or anything so it must not be that bad, I just grin and bare it). What did you get done if I may ask? It would be great to be hair free. I rather get more diamonds first though
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so I had a small embarassing patch of hair removed and OH MY GOD! The results are amazing! I have dark hair, Italian/Sicilian heritage and its horrible. Waxing I can tolerate, but you still have to get it done over and over again, and shaving HURTS me, like, I''ve gotten infections on my legs from the scratching I do and then I get 100s of ingrowns so my dermatologist actually recommended that I have my legs done. For me, personally, it is expensive(22, tiny, little non-profit salary income) and this is something that I have saved long and hard for to do, and it has been worth every penny!! I might join MMM in being a hairless rat
3.gif
that is seriously my mom''s fear! And I agree that it is one of the best choices I''ve made!

As for pain, I don''t find it painful at all. I never understood the rubberband analogy, it just tingles to me and can be prickly. I find the worst part to be the cold jelly they put on you before the treatment starts! Maybe I''ll be singing a different tune after my bikini line though, hehe.

Tacori, thats great that you''re having such good luck and that it''ll be done before your wedding. Imagine a honeymoon with out having to shave ever!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, cold jelly! I don''t get any of that! I want some LOL....

Blue- my lady is a private lady doing this for years and years out of her home and now she opened a spa....I still get the old rates...sme of these other places out there can be crazy expensive... So glad it worked for you..

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 12:10:59 PM
Author: moremoremore
Wait, really? LOL...hmmm....its like that jelly that they put on women who are getting an ultrasound or something. And it is FREEZING. And then she does the lazer with that on. I guess I never asked anyone if they had that before! Interesting....now I''m curious what''s up with that!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 12:17:53 PM
Author: Blue824
Date: 10/2/2005 12:10:59 PM

Author: moremoremore

Wait, really? LOL...hmmm....its like that jelly that they put on women who are getting an ultrasound or something. And it is FREEZING. And then she does the lazer with that on. I guess I never asked anyone if they had that before! Interesting....now I''m curious what''s up with that!

haha, I get the "cold jelly" too. My legs were actually shaking not b/c of the pain but b/c I was SO COLD. I am only getting my bikini area (which you basically decide on a "hair style" and they do everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING else) and my underarms so I will still have to shave my legs
15.gif
for now anyways (until I cough up $2,000 for my legs). I am going to wait and see my results before I do any more. I bought my package when they were doing a buy one and get one free so I couldn''t resist. I''ll be curious to see how long I remain hair free. Hopefully decades.
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2005 11:42:20 PM

haha, I get the ''cold jelly'' too. My legs were actually shaking not b/c of the pain but b/c I was SO COLD. I am only getting my bikini area (which you basically decide on a ''hair style'' and they do everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING else) and my underarms so I will still have to shave my legs
15.gif
for now anyways (until I cough up $2,000 for my legs). I am going to wait and see my results before I do any more. I bought my package when they were doing a buy one and get one free so I couldn''t resist. I''ll be curious to see how long I remain hair free. Hopefully decades.
9.gif
Good! I''m not the only one though, MMM had me worried for a bit there that my lady was doing something weird!!

My aunts both had it done almost 5 years ago and they''re still hairfree. They''re so so happy with it, and that was one of the main reasons I went through with it. They say occasionally there are a few strays so they go in for a touch up and don''t think about it for another 6 mos or a year. To me, its important to get the majority gone, and if there are a few strays I can deal with that as it happens.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
i finished my treatments about 2 years ago (bikini). i used the numbing cream and it was still very very painful for me. it definitely helped taking 2 advil about 30 minutes prior though. i have dark brown hair and all of that (except a few strays) are gone. however i was not aware that some of my hair was much lighter and that remains....like a peach fuzz. also my sessions lasted more like 30-40 minutes.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 12:08:03 PM
Author: jennyann2
i finished my treatments about 2 years ago (bikini). i used the numbing cream and it was still very very painful for me. it definitely helped taking 2 advil about 30 minutes prior though. i have dark brown hair and all of that (except a few strays) are gone. however i was not aware that some of my hair was much lighter and that remains....like a peach fuzz. also my sessions lasted more like 30-40 minutes.

I agree it is painful but 30-40 mins! I am not sure I could go through that! I guess they have new technology to make it faster now. It takes the nurse MAYBE 5 mins. I usually take advil also. So are you happy with the results? Have you ever gone for a touch up?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
has anyone broken out from having this done?? i was all aboard to get this done, but my then boyfriend''s mom broke out on her face with acne after she had it done. she had never had a skin condition before... so i figured i better not try it because i was already pimple prone!

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 2:39:29 PM

Date: 10/3/2005 12:08:03 PM
Author: jennyann2

I agree it is painful but 30-40 mins! I am not sure I could go through that! I guess they have new technology to make it faster now. It takes the nurse MAYBE 5 mins. I usually take advil also. So are you happy with the results? Have you ever gone for a touch up?
the machine they used at my place had a tip about the size of a penny so it took forever...maybe they are larger these days. i am definitely glad i did it! the slogan of the place i go is "permanent hair reduction" and that is exactly how i would describe it. i do have some strays and some very light colored hairs that are still there. i probably should go in for a touch up some time, but my understanding is that the light hairs will never go away.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
jcrow-I haven''t noticed any break-outs. I am not getting it done on my face though.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Jcrow -- Not having it done on my face, but know many people who have and no break outs were ever mentioned or complained about.

JennyAnn -- I can''t believe it took you 40 minutes! I''d say that the size of the laser they use for me is like rectangular, maybe like one inch by one and a half inches? I feel like they could do my entire body in 40 minutes :) Glad to hear that 2 years later you''re still happy with the results.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ooh, so glad I found this thread! I totally want to get laser hair removal... I think it would work well on me. I am really fair with light brown hair, but darker on my legs etc I think.

Of course, I don''t think I can blow money on it right now being in school... but eventually! The idea of not shaving anymore is so alluring.

Any idea of the prices, those who have had it done?

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience, the laser can range from anywhere from 600 on up for a package, depending on the size of the area. While many places offer a per session fee, I think it usually works out better to get a package. I didn''t get a quote for just legs, but for full leg & bikini I was quoted between $2900 and $5000. Normally I''m wary of the lowest price, but my aunts when to that lady so that''s where I''ll be going. But the range in price shows it may be good to consult more than one place....right now I''m at my dermatologist and then I''ll switch to the place my aunts went. There are lots of places that offer the services, just make sure it is someone you trust and are comfortable with.

My first spot lasered I gave to myself as a graduation present...hehe I had been talking about it for so long and finally sucked it up and did it. But, just in case you don''t want to wait til you''re out of school, a lot of places will finance it interest free for a year
1.gif

Beth

Shiny_Rock
I have had Ruby Laser done and the results have lasted 7 years and counting. I had this done in medical setting by a Dr. (Heber Davis Clinic) - Do be careful about where you go. The laser was also tiny back then. I iced before then got the numbing agent, then the sessions were between 20-45 min. It was painful and not cheap but I am very pleased.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''ll get quotes from my lady here in ny when I go tonight. She is not even remotely that expensive... I lover her. She has been doing this for a million years and is so wonderful...if anyone is in NY and wants to know, pm me!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I go to SonaMedSpa (I think the are national, not sure though) and they have specials every month. They rotate from 45% off any treatment to buy one get one free. I bought the package (5 sessions for each area) for my bikini area and got my underarms for free. It was about $1,000. Maybe slightly more. So it breaks down to about $100 per area per session. Not too bad...I don''t know though. I know bikini waxes are $$$ so I rather be doing laser instead.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I love PS.
1.gif
After giving myself a really nasty razor cut on my ankle, I''m trying to figure out other hair-removal options. I''ve been searching the internet & just thought I''d see if anyone on PS had posted about laser hair removal...and lo & behold...
1.gif

I''m in NYC & considering trying laser hair removal. MoreMoreMore, I''d love to have the info (contact info, rates, etc.) on your lady if you wouldn''t mind sharing.

Do you guys think it''s a bad idea to try this 2 months before my wedding? I know I won''t be able to finish the treatments before the big day, but is there a good way to time it so I''m hair free for the honeymoon?
10.gif

Thanks!
1.gif

applegirl

Rough_Rock
I had it done about 4 years ago and got a pachage for my upper legs, bikini and underams. I keep meaning to go back because I never completed all the treatments and it did help a little but oh, was it painful! Also, I''ve never heard of this happening to anyone else but I broke out in the most horrible, itchy rash that required major prescription steroid cream and lasted for days. I had it done in a dermatologist''s office and she said she''d never seen anything like it. Lucky me:( And they did do a whole questionnaire on medications first and medical conditions, so I know it wasn''t from birth control or anything like that.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was suprised to see this thread active again. I finished my 4th treatment a month ago (final one is in may!!!!)

Brightspot, the only negative about having it done during your wedding is you really have to stay out of the sun. If you are not a sun goddess this will not be an issue but everytime I go they test the areas I am getting treated (under arms and bikini). I did not have any rashes or break-outs. Basically your skin will react the same if you got a mild sunburn. So if you just get red and tender for a few hours (like me) that is what it is like. I am not going to lie, it REALLY hurts BUT it is very quick. I just imagine no razor bumps, no stumble and it helps me get through the pain. I don't think I had 100% fall-out after the first treatment. It is only now after 4 that I am noticing results.

ETA: I would get it done a few weeks before the honeymoon that is when I noticed the most fall-out.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Would someone mind walking us through a procedure? I think I read somewhere that you need to wax or shave prior then they spread some goop on you then start to zap. Also how long would you say a treatment would take on say one lower leg?

I want it done but am not looking forward to a waxing!

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
CBS News is doing a report tomorrow (Monday) night @11:00 EST on the laser treatments. They showed some people who were badly burned.

Kimberly, waxing is a no-no because there needs to be a dark hair follicle so that it absorbs the light which destroys it. They recommend having stubble but not too long.

I need to go for follow up treatments but my place closed down. MMM can you tell me the name of your place?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results