shape
carat
color
clarity

Laser Hair Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 12:33:31 PM
Author: Kimberly
Would someone mind walking us through a procedure? I think I read somewhere that you need to wax or shave prior then they spread some goop on you then start to zap. Also how long would you say a treatment would take on say one lower leg?

I want it done but am not looking forward to a waxing!

No problem. At my place you need to shave. So for my bikini area I shave what I want lasered. My under arms I shave like normal. I put of numbing cream (but I swear it does NOT work) 30 mins before. It stings/tingles a little and smells like mint. I go to the spa. They test my skin to make sure I did not get too much or any sun (they can refuse to treat you). (oh, I just wear my bra and a bathrobe they provide. Sorry if it is too much info but hey, I am an open girl) They do my underarms first which is good because they hurt more. One arm being my head. She spreads some sort of gel on it. We both wear goggles and off she goes. I am not really sure the process because I can't see. It makes a crackling sound and smells like buring hair. It feels like bee stings BUT it only last a few minutes per underarm. They are fast. Then they do the left, then my bikini area. They go from my belly button to the top of my butt. This is normal at my place. I was surprised they covered so much area at first.
2.gif
That lasts about 5-7 mins. Then I go into the dressing room and apply a soothing cream. I make sure not to shave or wear a thong for 5 days or so. Three months later the process is repeated. HTH!!! Feel free to ask any question. I am not shy
3.gif

ETA: I am not sure how long a lower leg would take. I am imagine no more than 20 mins.
33.gif
If you call a place they can tell you.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 6:15:52 PM
Author: SquareCut
CBS News is doing a report tomorrow (Monday) night @11:00 EST on the laser treatments. They showed some people who were badly burned.

That is why I would make certain you choose a good place. I was referred by two people to my place and haven''t had any problems.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
A lot of these factors depend on the laser used, your skin and hair type etc. I''m in the midst of doing my underarms and upper lip and I''m really pleased with the results. I went to a couple of places for consultations before I found one I liked though. I think that''s very important. There are actually messageboards devoted to this, so if anyone is interested, it''s worth a look there.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2006 6:20:33 PM
Author: applegirl
I had it done about 4 years ago and got a pachage for my upper legs, bikini and underams. I keep meaning to go back because I never completed all the treatments and it did help a little but oh, was it painful! Also, I''ve never heard of this happening to anyone else but I broke out in the most horrible, itchy rash that required major prescription steroid cream and lasted for days. I had it done in a dermatologist''s office and she said she''d never seen anything like it. Lucky me:( And they did do a whole questionnaire on medications first and medical conditions, so I know it wasn''t from birth control or anything like that.
Hmm....I only had an itchy reaction after my first one. And it lasted a few days but nothing I needed medications for. My dermatologist (where I get laser done) said that sometimes its just the remnants of the hair growning out and its a little itchy and since that first time nothing has been uncomfortable.

For anyone else considering this, most places you go in for a consulation will do a test patch for you the same day so you can get a feel for the laser. I don''t find it painful, but its not comfortable...its over so quickly so its hard for me to really complain about it especially with the awesome results!

I''ll be interested to see that CBS report...if the person is not trained properly you can so have problems because they increase the heat progressively after each treatment. But also, my lady has always told me that if it ever, ever felt even slightly hot to tell her because while there is a method to doing it, everyones skin reacts differently so it is important to have that line of communication open! I''ve never been burnt and I am so excited to finally start my legs/bikini next week
9.gif

Anyway, for people considering laser hair removal, I''d talk to your dermatologist first or go to places that are affiliated with your dermatologist. My place is actually someone with in my office, and the place I"m going for my legs (since she is $2,000 less!) is affiliated with my aunts'' dermatolgist and none of my aunts have had any problems what so ever. I think it is really good to have the dr there and also very important to have recommendations.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
tacori- so basically they do the brazillian area? when i had gone a few years back for a consultation, they didn''t go that far.

and i have another wierd question. when i asked them about ingrown hairs, they said it would zap them and then the body would absorb them
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
??? that worried me.

i also remember them saying that you couldn''t wear any deo. if doing the underarms.

i really sorta wish that i had gone through with it years ago. maybe i''d be hair free now...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 8:03:45 PM
Author: jcrow
tacori- so basically they do the brazillian area? when i had gone a few years back for a consultation, they didn''t go that far.

and i have another wierd question. when i asked them about ingrown hairs, they said it would zap them and then the body would absorb them
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
??? that worried me.

i also remember them saying that you couldn''t wear any deo. if doing the underarms.

i really sorta wish that i had gone through with it years ago. maybe i''d be hair free now...

Yeah, they will take it all off if you want (I chose to go a different route). I know women who have gone completely bald though. Creeps me out.
14.gif
But yes, the brazillian area is done with the package I have. They have a package that is a few hundred dollars cheaper but is limited to I think an inch on each side. I figured it was worth paying a little more for getting what I really want.

I am not sure about ingrown hairs. Two of the women who are getting the treatments are getting it because they are prone to ingrowns. One had to have surgery. The other has scars from them so they figured this way they wouldn''t have to deal with them. My hair grows a few mm THEN falls out.

The ONLY time you can''t wear deo. is the day you are getting it done. I forgot once and they just wiped it off. No big deal
2.gif
It will take me 15 months to get all 5 sessions done. They are three months in between except for in between the 3rd and 4th and it is a month or two longer. I go to a medspa. They specialize in it as well as skin procedures. It is a relaxing environment and they are all ex-nurses (female only is you are getting your bikini area done).

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Excellent description Tacori. I really want the bikini area hehehe. But I was too shy to ask. Only 7 min for that whole area. Rock on I can do that!
I want it all off!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 11:02:14 PM
Excellent description Tacori. I really want the bikini area hehehe. But I was too shy to ask. Only 7 min for that whole area. Rock on I can do that!

I want it all off!!!

Sorry if I went into too much detail but I am a person who likes to know EXACTLY what I am getting myself into. It seems like the ladies on here who wax a lot do not find it as painful (probably like I have no feeling left in my eyebrows from plucking for 10 years). I have never waxed so I guess I have virginal skin. It goes very fast. I try to keep the nurse talking so I can get my mind off the discomfort. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 10:21:16 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 3/5/2006 11:02:14 PM

I want it all off!!!

Sorry if I went into too much detail but I am a person who likes to know EXACTLY what I am getting myself into. It seems like the ladies on here who wax a lot do not find it as painful (probably like I have no feeling left in my eyebrows from plucking for 10 years). I have never waxed so I guess I have virginal skin. It goes very fast. I try to keep the nurse talking so I can get my mind off the discomfort. Good luck if you decide to go for it.
not too much detail at all. i was wondering too! thanks for putting it out there tacori. this has been very helpful.
i wonder if i can do 7mins?
32.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Belle. I didn''t want to offend anyone. Honestly I think you could handle it. It is worth it. Plus many ladies on here have said it was not painful for them so maybe I am a big baby and you are braver. Also the bikini area is half the pain as the under arms. It''s not a cry out pain but it is a white knuckle, grit teeth, pinched eyes pain. They offer you to give you a break if you need one but I always have them keep going so I don''t prolong it. The laser (where I go) does have a cool blast sort of thing on it (think dentist) so that does help some.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
This is when I really miss PM!

I checked into pricing today for the bikini/brazilian...and there were vast differences! Finally, I found a coupon package deal for 1/2 off at $600. That was significantly less than other places, and included 5 visits....but it''s a very upscale place?? Does that sound about right?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tawn, that sounds low but great if it is a good place. The medspa I go to runs promotions ALL the time and I got it when there was a buy one get one free and I *think* I paid $1,095 for the full bikini for the five sessions (and I got 5 sessions for my underarms for free)

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hey I had the bikini area waxed in depth with the hard wax as the hair was too short. You got to let that wax cool.
Took a very loooonnngg time over an hour.
That is pain..... and probably too much detail!!!

Gonna do it though!!! Tired of going in the jacuzzi after a hard day on the slopes with red bumbs on my thigh.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 12:22:05 AM
Tawn, that sounds low but great if it is a good place. The medspa I go to runs promotions ALL the time and I got it when there was a buy one get one free and I *think* I paid $1,095 for the full bikini for the five sessions (and I got 5 sessions for my underarms for free)
I checked into having both done as well, and it would work out to about the same at $1100-1200, so I guess they give a great deal to get you in there and get you hooked! I don''t have enough hair on my legs to even consider having them done, which is nice I guess! Underarms would be great though, because I shave everyday since I hate having any stubble!

I have a consultation on Wednesday, but have to wait for 2-3 weeks because I''ve been going to the tanning salon for the last few weeks because I had a wedding to go to, and needed a little color!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks for all of the details! i SOOOOO want laser hair removal done!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
tawn- that is the biggest con. You really need to stay out of the sun. My skin holds onto my tan so I have to make sure a month or month and a half before to keep covered. My hair on my leg is pretty minimal as well. My ankle is the only place I get dark, thicker hair but they are spread apart. I love not having to shave my underarms. I felt like they NEVER looked perfect before. Good luck with your consultation.

Jcrow- no problem. So far I have been happy with it. I still have one more session to clean up the strays I guess. I am curious by the long term results but only time will tell.

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/1/2005 6:35:21 PM
I am getting my underarms and bikini area done and in total I would estimate it takes her maybe 5-7 mins. So I can handle 7 mins of pain if it means smooth hair free skin. The underarm actually hurts MORE than my bikini area.

That's reassuring, because I intend upon doing the Brazilian next... my LHR technician told me the underarm was worse than the bikini, but I didn't believe her.
9.gif
I'm doing underarms right now. I'm two sessions in -- next session scheduled in a week -- and doing them in four-to-six-week increments. (Started at four, moving to six now.) I'd say I'm at 70% hair loss right now, so the laser works REALLY WELL for me.
9.gif
36.gif

Date: 10/3/2005 2:50:47 PM
has anyone broken out from having this done?? i was all aboard to get this done, but my then boyfriend's mom broke out on her face with acne after she had it done. she had never had a skin condition before... so i figured i better not try it because i was already pimple prone!

My technician warned me about this during my consultation. I only vaguely remember the conversation, but basically if you have a dormant infection the laser can expose the bacteria and cause a flare-up. I never have zits and I wasn't doing my face so I didn't pay too much attention, sorry!

Date: 3/5/2006 12:33:31 PM
Would someone mind walking us through a procedure? I think I read somewhere that you need to wax or shave prior then they spread some goop on you then start to zap. Also how long would you say a treatment would take on say one lower leg?

Again, I'm not doing legs, but it takes her probably three minutes to do each underarm. No deodorant for 24 hours following my session, to protect the skin. I'm supposed to shave prior to the session and they say the closer the shave, the less discomfort you'll feel. They also suggest avoiding caffeine for 24 hours beforehand.

Okay, so I go in, take off my shirt, witchazel the deodorant off, and sit in the chair. Put on a goofy pair of goggles and stick one hand behind my head, exposing my underarm. Three minutes of rubberband-snapping and she moves on to the next side. No jelly stuff at my clinic, but the machine sprays a cooling spray right before it zaps. It helps, but the procedure still gets pretty uncomfortable by the time she's ready to move to the next side. Not unbearable, but definitely unpleasant. It makes a zapping noise and smells like burning hair when she's doing it.
14.gif

Then I slather on some aloe, put my shirt back on, and make my next appointment!

I LOVE IT. I get the few mm's of growth and then they fall out, like Tacori. Then I'm hairless for three weeks, and then half a dozen stragglers start to grow out. I had exceedingly thick, dark, abundant hair so this is a freakin' miracle. I'm pale and don't tan much so I'm pretty much the ideal laser candidate.
2.gif
I'll definitely be doing the Brazilian next.

My clinic is really cheap. I pay $59 per session for underarms. Brazilians are $100/session.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks golden! that was wonderful info. i really want to get this done! i just need to find out where... (not where on me, where as in the company/dr.)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i guess things have changed, because i swear i thought i remembered no deo. for 2 weeks....that sounds a bit extreme. 24, i can handle!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Anybody had their eyebrows done?
I''ve had electrolysis done, but it always leaves a red mark.

Elsewhere (on my chin) I''ve had electrolysis done with really great results.

Tired of plucking eyebrows, though!!!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I sincerly doubt anyone would do your eyebrows. I think the laser can easily blind you and they would not take that risk.

Of course u could ask.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 6:38:33 AM
i guess things have changed, because i swear i thought i remembered no deo. for 2 weeks....that sounds a bit extreme. 24, i can handle!

I don''t even wait 24 hours and have never had any problems.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 12:53:43 PM
I sincerly doubt anyone would do your eyebrows. I think the laser can easily blind you and they would not take that risk.

Of course u could ask.

I am *pretty* sure my place offers eyebrows but I don''t mind plucking so it wouldn''t be worth it to me.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2006 3:44:32 PM

Date: 3/9/2006 12:53:43 PM

Of course u could ask.

I am *pretty* sure my place offers eyebrows but I don''t mind plucking so it wouldn''t be worth it to me.
Neither of my 2 places will do eyebrows...they said that the laser can''t shape that exactly as you''d need for eyebrow. I think I''d be a little hesitant with the laser near my eyes anyway! Even with the laser on the other half of my body and not facing it you still have to wear the protective eyewear, so I wouldn''t want it that near my eyes! I wonder if that has changed in the last year-2yrs...I''ll ask when I''m in this weekend.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I had to skip my appt/consultation because my son was so sick with this croupy cough and fever. He actually wanted to go to bed, so you know that he really felt badly! All my girlfriends were calling to get the "diagnosis" so now I have to reschedule and get all the info for everyone! Then we''ll make them hook me up for bringing in 2 other friends with me!

I''m definitely getting my underarms done as well! Shaved, they look like chicken skin! Attractive picture I''m painting ya, isn''t it!
emsmileo.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue- maybe they don''t. I am not sure. I personally would never get it done because eyebrow styles change. Remember when super thin was in? How horrible if that is how you got it done and then looked like a surprised clown the rest of your life.

Tawn- the place I go to gives you "points" for everyone that you bring in. You can use them for free procedures. I laughed when you said all your friends were calling because everyone asks me about it since I am the first among our group to get it done. I am the test subject
2.gif

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Can any of you ladies recommend a place in NYC? Is it true, that you are supposed to shave? I thought that you needed to have some stubble.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 8:51:49 AM
Blue- maybe they don''t. I am not sure. I personally would never get it done because eyebrow styles change. Remember when super thin was in? How horrible if that is how you got it done and then looked like a surprised clown the rest of your life.

Tawn- the place I go to gives you ''points'' for everyone that you bring in. You can use them for free procedures. I laughed when you said all your friends were calling because everyone asks me about it since I am the first among our group to get it done. I am the test subject
2.gif
They give you $ towards procedures for every person you send it! I''m going to be like one of those hairless dogs/cats with just the hair on their head!
9.gif

Squarecut: They told me that you shouldn''t pluck or wax for at least 2-3 weeks before, and to shave the day before you go in!

On the eyebrow thing...I guess I''d have the fear of being that little old lady down the street that draws on her eyebrows everyday! Waxing them is pretty easy, except when they do a bad job and it takes 2 months to grow them back!

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
I''d love to hear any recommendations for LA area locations. I absolutely HATE shaving. Like Blue, I always end up scratching the heck out of my skin as the hair begins to grow back. I used to wear pants almost constantly because I never wanted to shave. I can''t avoid it now that I''m married. I guess I could, but I don''t want my DH to be all grossed out by hairy legs. I think it would be worth the money to not have this aggravation anymore.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 7:21:30 PM
Author: StephensBride
I''d love to hear any recommendations for LA area locations. I absolutely HATE shaving. Like Blue, I always end up scratching the heck out of my skin as the hair begins to grow back. I used to wear pants almost constantly because I never wanted to shave. I can''t avoid it now that I''m married. I guess I could, but I don''t want my DH to be all grossed out by hairy legs. I think it would be worth the money to not have this aggravation anymore.
My mom swears that the Veet in the blue can is the bomb! She claims it grows in softer and that you don''t have to do it as often as shaving!?

I don''t have enough leg hair to bother, unfortunatly it''s all under my arms!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results