shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies - Did you change your last name?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is always an interesting topic. I'm going on 23 years married and chose to take my husbands last name for four reasons.
1) I'd never liked my first name with my maiden name. Really, it's terrible combination.
2) I was very, very angry with my father at the time of my marriage and had mo desire to continue that connection.
3) 23 years ago, computers were still messing up hyphenated names, which seemed to be the trend at that time.
4) If I dropped my middle name and added hubby's name, I thought my middle/maiden name would be ignored or forgotten, anyway. And, get, my middle name is the name I like best.

I now know that 3 and 4 are now accepted easily and computers have come a long way, but 1 and 2 are still true for me, despite my pride in my heritage.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Missy, I'm so glad you got past that issue with your friend, but really sorry to hear that her son is having problems. How sad for her. She sounds like a very interesting lady, and I'm not surprised you value her friendship.

Your point about the complex influences that shape people is such a good one - I should remember that. (Except that when it comes to certain topics I'm right, damn it. I am. I am... :bigsmile: )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1331197359|3143783 said:
Missy, I'm so glad you got past that issue with your friend, but really sorry to hear that her son is having problems. How sad for her. She sounds like a very interesting lady, and I'm not surprised you value her friendship.
Thank you Jennifer. She is a wonderful person. It has been an ongoing ordeal for them and one that I am afraid will not have any resolution. ::)

Your point about the complex influences that shape people is such a good one - I should remember that. (Except that when it comes to certain topics I'm right, damn it. I am. I am... :bigsmile: )

:bigsmile: Point well taken.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I took my husband's last name but dropped my middle name and made my maiden name my middle name. So instead of Jane Sara Smith I am now Jan Smith Brown. I wanted to hyphenate but my maiden name is so long already that I decided against it. Plus, my middle name was pretty boring and unimportant so I didn't care to lose it. I'll admit I felt so weird the first few months after changing my last name, like I was having an identity crisis. My husband's last name is about as plain and common as it gets so I think that's part of it. Now I am glad I did it though and I'm glad I did the switcharoo with the middle names so I at least somewhat get to keep my maiden name.

Good luck making your decision!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results