shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this skinny model attractive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
She''s gorgeous when she''s not photoshopped.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:15:12 AM
Author: elledizzy5
Date: 10/8/2009 10:09:39 AM

Author: Jas12

Soocool--

There will always be healthy thin women and healthy plump women. But when we offer ancedotes of ppl we know who fall into these categories it doesn''t sever to address the real issue, which is the pervasive use of clearly unatural images of the female physique and the effect it has on impressionable young girls. This model *may* be like your daughter, but it is no secret that the fashion industry is paluged by women with eating disorders and brushing it off as ''well, maybe they just all have a fast metabolism'' doesn''t help fight the systemic self-loathing a huge number of teenage girls feel toward their own body .
36.gif

Well said, Jas12!

Ditto. Its not about which is more disgusting, too thin or too fat, its about helping girls to love their bodies when they are natural and healthy (which, for some women is thinner and for some women is larger). I also was really thin as a child and teen and instead of being hurt by the things people said to me about needing to eat more or worrying about problems at home, I thought that made me pretty and got me attention. It means now, with a healthy big boobed size 6-8 body, I feel huge. We need to love our bodies in their healthy states and help the younger girls in our lives feel the same way.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Her body is straight up disconcerting!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
not attractive, i guess it''s meant to look dramatic. That pose (twist of waist) is one used to create illusion of tinier waist. Also some photoshopping I think. Skinny is still attractive, we can''t deny that, but not like this!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:42:20 AM
Author: Novel

Date: 10/8/2009 10:15:12 AM

Date: 10/8/2009 10:09:39 AM

Author: Jas12

Soocool--

There will always be healthy thin women and healthy plump women. But when we offer ancedotes of ppl we know who fall into these categories it doesn''t sever to address the real issue, which is the pervasive use of clearly unatural images of the female physique and the effect it has on impressionable young girls. This model *may* be like your daughter, but it is no secret that the fashion industry is paluged by women with eating disorders and brushing it off as ''well, maybe they just all have a fast metabolism'' doesn''t help fight the systemic self-loathing a huge number of teenage girls feel toward their own body .
36.gif

Well said, Jas12!

Ditto. Its not about which is more disgusting, too thin or too fat, its about helping girls to love their bodies when they are natural and healthy (which, for some women is thinner and for some women is larger). I also was really thin as a child and teen and instead of being hurt by the things people said to me about needing to eat more or worrying about problems at home, I thought that made me pretty and got me attention. It means now, with a healthy big boobed size 6-8 body, I feel huge. We need to love our bodies in their healthy states and help the younger girls in our lives feel the same way.
So true. At 15 I was 5''9" and 130, and I felt ginormous. Part of that was living in Asia, where even at that size I was a L/XL, but part of it was even the Caucasian girls I saw were super skinny. I was a 6 with an hourglass figure, and I would almost never wear shorts because I thought my thighs were so huge people would stare. Seriously. We need to focus on finding our own healthy range (what our bodies can naturally sustain when eating the right foods and splurging every now and then), and being happy in it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 9:46:54 AM
Author: EBree
Date: 10/8/2009 9:38:39 AM

Author: soocool

DD is a 32B and she is 5''8'' and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don''t see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.

soocool-

No judgment, but are you sure of your daughter''s weight? At 5''8'' and 105 lbs, her BMI would be at 16, and anything under 18.5 is classified as ''underweight.''

When I was in high school I was 5''8" and weighed 103-108 pounds. I didn''t break 100 pounds until my sophomore year in high school, actually. Like soocool''s daughter, I was an athlete, and played field hockey and soccer year round. My twin sister was the same way and so were a few of my friends. None of us ever had eating disorders, although my friend and I were both called down to the nurse because a teacher told her we must be anorexic. (Of course no one could possibly be naturally thin!)

Some people are naturally very thin...some people are unnaturally thin. And of course some people are naturally not as thin, and some people are unnaturally not as thin. Discussions/threads like these are pointless because everyone wants to jump on the "Skinny people are anorexic and real women have curves!" bandwagon.

At 28, I''m 5''8" and I typically weigh 120-125. I play soccer at least 3 times a week and eat on the healthy side. Oh, and I do have lady parts, so I am a real woman!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:09:15 AM
Author: thing2of2

DD is a 32B and she is 5''8'' and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don''t see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.

soocool-

No judgment, but are you sure of your daughter''s weight? At 5''8'' and 105 lbs, her BMI would be at 16, and anything under 18.5 is classified as ''underweight.''

When I was in high school I was 5''8'' and weighed 103-108 pounds. I didn''t break 100 pounds until my sophomore year in high school, actually. Like soocool''s daughter, I was an athlete, and played field hockey and soccer year round. My twin sister was the same way and so were a few of my friends. None of us ever had eating disorders, although my friend and I were both called down to the nurse because a teacher told her we must be anorexic. (Of course no one could possibly be naturally thin!)

Some people are naturally very thin...some people are unnaturally thin. And of course some people are naturally not as thin, and some people are unnaturally not as thin. Discussions/threads like these are pointless because everyone wants to jump on the ''Skinny people are anorexic and real women have curves!'' bandwagon.

At 28, I''m 5''8'' and I typically weigh 120-125. I play soccer at least 3 times a week and eat on the healthy side. Oh, and I do have lady parts, so I am a real woman!
Natural or unnatural?
2.gif
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:12:55 AM

soocool-

When I was in high school I was 5''8'' and weighed 103-108 pounds. I didn''t break 100 pounds until my sophomore year in high school, actually. Like soocool''s daughter, I was an athlete, and played field hockey and soccer year round. My twin sister was the same way and so were a few of my friends. None of us ever had eating disorders, although my friend and I were both called down to the nurse because a teacher told her we must be anorexic. (Of course no one could possibly be naturally thin!)

Some people are naturally very thin...some people are unnaturally thin. And of course some people are naturally not as thin, and some people are unnaturally not as thin. Discussions/threads like these are pointless because everyone wants to jump on the ''Skinny people are anorexic and real women have curves!'' bandwagon.

At 28, I''m 5''8'' and I typically weigh 120-125. I play soccer at least 3 times a week and eat on the healthy side. Oh, and I do have lady parts, so I am a real woman!
Natural or unnatural?
2.gif
3.gif
Unnatural, obviously. Our thing can try to hide it, but she''s obviously 100% imitation "real" woman. She can try, but that gorgeous, athletic figure means only one thing: Grade A for Alien.
3.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
She is clearly photoshopped. But she is attractive.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:15:46 AM
Author: princesss

soocool-

Natural or unnatural?
2.gif
3.gif

Unnatural, obviously. Our thing can try to hide it, but she''s obviously 100% imitation ''real'' woman. She can try, but that gorgeous, athletic figure means only one thing: Grade A for Alien.
3.gif

Wait, I thought you just had to have lady parts to be a real woman! Now you''re telling me they have to be natural lady parts?!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:26:58 AM

soocool-

Natural or unnatural?
2.gif
3.gif

Unnatural, obviously. Our thing can try to hide it, but she''s obviously 100% imitation ''real'' woman. She can try, but that gorgeous, athletic figure means only one thing: Grade A for Alien.
3.gif

Wait, I thought you just had to have lady parts to be a real woman! Now you''re telling me they have to be natural lady parts?!
I refuse to answer on the grounds that once you aliens know all the requirements you''re going to steal our chocolate and take all the attractive men!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 9:51:30 PM

Author: kenny

Date: 10/7/2009 7:28:10 PM

Author: SanDiegoLady

I know that clothing ''hangs'' more appropriately on thinner women with a lack of chest for ads,

Really?

So women looking more like men looks more appropriate for selling clothes?

Not trying to be snarky; just not sure why you picked the word appropriate.
Don''t assume because you are thin that you have no boobs. DD is a 32B and she is 5''8'' and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don''t see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.

Her clothes hang very nicely on her.

no one is saying thin is bad, its the illusions and unrealistic ideas the media/fashion is implementing on us. being healthy has different sizes, and different shapes attached to it.
having the pictures side by side demonstrates what they want from her.
the problem isn''t that some are thin, its that they are warping the true image and in turn, creating lasting impressions on what we should all look like.

"Many are saying that being that thin looks unhealthy. So tell me how fat does one have to be for someone to say that it is also unhealthy? 20 lbs overweight, 50, 100, 200?"
Are you KIDDING ME?! Why do you think the health/fitness industry is making BILLIONS? On a daily basis anyone remotely close to being overweight is reminded in some way that they are not "measuring up" or are unhealthy.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:16:20 AM

Using height and weight is just a cheater''s guide to figuring BMI. In other words it gives you a pretty good idea of what you BMI could be. Doctors use other criteria to determine BMI and accordng to her doctor she is healthy and not underweight.

#1. The doctor said that BMI should not be used for kids under the age of 18 as they are still growing, but can help identify those kids who are overweight.

#2. In athletes BMI''s are misleading. A football player who weighs a lot may have avery high BMI, but the BMI calculation doesn''t take into account his large muscle mass.

Fair enough, and yes, I understand that online BMIs don''t take into account several factors. I just asked because my mom, god bless her, probably assumes I weigh less than I actually do. And I''m at a healthy weight (though 10 lbs more than I''d like to be).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:31:40 AM

soocool-

Natural or unnatural?
2.gif
3.gif

3.gif

I refuse to answer on the grounds that once you aliens know all the requirements you''re going to steal our chocolate and take all the attractive men!

Ha, well I already have the hottest hottie out there (my dreamy husband, of course!) and I don''t even like chocolate very much! Wait...I guess that confirms it...I''m not a real woman!
3.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:38:43 AM

Date: 10/8/2009 11:31:40 AM

soocool-

Natural or unnatural?
2.gif
3.gif

3.gif

Ha, well I already have the hottest hottie out there (my dreamy husband, of course!) and I don''t even like chocolate very much! Wait...I guess that confirms it...I''m not a real woman!
3.gif
Oh thank god... now I can be satisfied with my buddha belly... you''re not real anyway!

And I''ll take your damn chocolate. Thanks!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 11:34:05 AM
Author: sparkly_stars

Why do you think the health/fitness industry is making BILLIONS? On a daily basis anyone remotely close to being overweight is reminded in some way that they are not 'measuring up' or are unhealthy.

Exactly. Though naturally (or unnaturally) thin people are subjected to judgment, it doesn't come CLOSE to the amount 'overweight' people are, healthy or not.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
BMI is misleading b/c it doesn''t take into consideration how much fat you have. You can have 2 people same height/weight/BMI, but one is more solid muscle, the other is "skinny fat" with no muscle definition. I''d rather have less body fat than worry about the scale that says at my height I should weigh between X and Y. Muscle weighs more than fat-I''d rather be 130# of muscle than 130# of fat.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 10:16:20 AM
DD is a 32B and she is 5'8' and just over 100lbs. She has a defined bust, waist and hips. You don't see any bones, but firm skin because she has muscle and little body fat. Last physical the doctor said she could be a role model for most of his teen patients who at her age already have high blood pressure and are at the verge of developing diabetes.
soocool-

No judgment, but are you sure of your daughter's weight? At 5'8' and 105 lbs, her BMI would be at 16, and anything under 18.5 is classified as 'underweight.'
Using height and weight is just a cheater's guide to figuring BMI. In other words it gives you a pretty good idea of what you BMI could be. Doctors use other criteria to determine BMI and accordng to her doctor she is healthy and not underweight.

#1. The doctor said that BMI should not be used for kids under the age of 18 as they are still growing, but can help identify those kids who are overweight.

#2. In athletes BMI's are misleading. A football player who weighs a lot may have avery high BMI, but the BMI calculation doesn't take into account his large muscle mass.
Yeah, the example for #2 is a huge body builder and a very overweight guy, who have the same BMI but not the same body make up. That argument doesn't work for those underweight. Underweight = underweight.

And this ad just goes on to perpetuate that this look is desirable in women. Having just taken an eating disorders class, it really is frightening what this kind of image is doing to the self image of girls.

And I'm speaking from the perspective of having had disordered eating for my entire life.

ETA: I just calculated the percentage of what your daughter should weigh healthily soocool, and she is hovering very closely to 80%--the mark when eating disorder professionals would hospitalize her. I'm not saying that they should, I'm just giving you a heads up that 80% is the *attention* marker. (lowest healthy weight for 5'8 individual=120, 80%=100, average healthy weight=140, 80%=112)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question shouldn''t be whether she is attractive, but whether that is even physically possible? They have photoshopped her body into something physically impossible (unless you belong to some other species). I don''t care if you are naturally skinny, I''m sure your hips and torso are not smaller than the circumference of your head!

Her hair is pretty though.

ps - my older daugher 6 going on 7 is and will have the proportions of a model; she is in the 50% for weight but 95-97% for height. We can''t buy pants at walmart for her because they are all cut too wide. It''s disconcerting but she already gets attention and comments for her looks, which I feel ambivalent about.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
My hubby (God bless him) loves a woman with more - - of everything. If he sees bones like ribs, ''chicken'' necks, clavicals, or those sharp little shoulders on an actress/model, it grosses him out. Even Giada''s lollilop head bothers him.

There is nothing beautiful about a skeleton in designer duds. And most men (real men, not designers or the odd little flamers who populate the fashion industry) agree. Gee, I wonder if that''s why everything Playboy is so popular?? Could men like women to sport some curves? Duh.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 1:09:30 PM
Author: HollyS
My hubby (God bless him) loves a woman with more - - of everything. If he sees bones like ribs, ''chicken'' necks, clavicals, or those sharp little shoulders on an actress/model, it grosses him out. Even Giada''s lollilop head bothers him.

There is nothing beautiful about a skeleton in designer duds. And most men (real men, not designers or the odd little flamers who populate the fashion industry) agree. Gee, I wonder if that''s why everything Playboy is so popular?? Could men like women to sport some curves? Duh.

Wow Holly, for some reason your bigotry never ceases to amaze me! And you don''t even try to hide it!

P.S. My husband (God bless him) loves tall skinny women. Fat rolls and floppy boobs gross him out! And the last time I
looked at one, the women in Playboy aren''t exactly plus size. They''re super
thin with breast implants.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is the same way. I am naturally small boned so probably will never be huge, but has let me know that he finds it very attractive I have gotten more curves over the years
6.gif
. He got imprinted on 1960''s Star Trek women with curvy, real looking bodies. Pretty much every guy I have ever known finds healthy looking women with curves more attractive than Kelly Ripa, Posh Spice lookilikes. I just worry with so much advertising tv, film standards that even guys growing up during this time will have this distorted body image in their head.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I would really like to know Is what magazines were targeted for the photoshopped and non-photoshopped photos? We all know that designers target certain ads for certain markets, so which "market" is being targeted with that photoshopped horror? I suspect is a "teenbeat" or something like that which makes it even more sad.

ETA There is completely unequivocal social psychology research demonstrating that being exposed to images of super thin models increases young women's disordered eating symptomology, no matter their own body size. All body types are beautiful, but when we hold ONE type up as the ideal -- and a type that the majoroty of women can never achieve (esp. when it is photoshopped) -- then we are harming ourselves and our daughters.

purselover

Ideal_Rock

Whoa......Good thing my FI is not a real man since he loves my size 0 (sometimes even 00
6.gif
) self, not even going to comment on the rest
38.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2009 1:20:15 PM

Wow Holly, for some reason your bigotry never ceases to amaze me! And you don''t even try to hide it!

P.S. My husband (God bless him) loves tall skinny women. Fat rolls and floppy boobs gross him out! And the last time I
looked at one, the women in Playboy aren''t exactly plus size. They''re super
thin with breast implants.
HI:

Well, Holly, I have not met most men so I cannot speak for them; yet you offer your husbands observation as a generalization. Likewise you give your opinion very decidedly, yet I''ll bear all your disapproval and take it with large with a grain of salt (since for you a small one would not suffice). But since opinions are the name of the game here--my husband likes lean women. Period. And I never met a man who ever told me I needed to on a few pounds--But now I am married--their wives do ask me how to loose unwanted ones....

Another small point, if the fashion industry is so "influential"--why is obesity an epidemic? Type 2 diabetes seen in youth and younger populations as never before....

cheers--Sharon

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
+1 - I guess my SO isn''t a REAL man...
38.gif

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I hate how these threads always devolve into bigger women calling smaller women not "real" and smaller women calling larger women unhealthy and jealous. Luckily there are women of all different shapes and sizes and men around who love them all!

BOTH eating disorders and obesity are problems in the US. The existence of one problem doesn''t negate the other. I would prefer if ads and magazines portrayed more healthy people as they are without photoshopping. But I would also like to see more variety. I think variety with an emphasis on healthy is the key.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This picture is not legit - it''s a joke by a photoshop master. I just read the article on Photoshop Disasters this morning.

So no - it is NEVER healthy to look like that. Even if you have a super fast metabolism, I can guarantee your BMI is considered underweight and good luck in the future, because it will have health issues.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 2:17:28 PM
Author: lucyandroger
I hate how these threads always devolve into bigger women calling smaller women not ''real'' and smaller women calling larger women unhealthy and jealous. Luckily there are women of all different shapes and sizes and men around who love them all!

BOTH eating disorders and obesity are problems in the US. The existence of one problem doesn''t negate the other. I would prefer if ads and magazines portrayed more healthy people as they are without photoshopping. But I would also like to see more variety. I think variety with an emphasis on healthy is the key.

Ditto. I hate that so many bigger women and smaller women are so insecure that it comes to have to hating the others.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what''s striking to me about this thread is how hard women are on other women.

Re: BMI, I think it''s useful as a screening tool only - it tells you if someone is vastly underweight or vastly overweight. Other than that, who cares? It''s used to measure general health, but obviously everyone''s built differently. There''s nothing magic about the number, but it has its functions.
Although I will say that (at my height) if I weigh 300 pounds of fat or 300 pounds of pure muscle, my heart still has to work too hard to support my body weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results