shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this skinny model attractive?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 3:49:34 PM
Author: kenny
That's a TV show.

Even most 'reality' TV is not real.

It is for the camera.

But most of them are also very young. I remember lots of people in high school/college who were very thin and ate a lot. My best friend was like that, she had pizza, beer, you name it, and she was a size 2. She is 29 now and just starting to put on a few lbs (but only 5-10, and she still eats horribly and drinks a fair amount). She tried to get me to convince her it was her birth control, but I had to break the news her that she needs to start eating well and exercising. Her mother was thin, but she also smoked
38.gif
, but my best friend doesn't.

ETA: Speaking of age, I looked into modeling as a teen. I was told the average age of retirement was 26.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 4:53:54 PM
Author: Mara
browsing the thread, it always baffles me when i see people acting as though people are personally attacking THEM when an opinion one way or the other is voiced.
Well, generally speaking everyone talks about themselves A LOT when making posts. For example when a person will make a thread, inevitable the responses are mostly people talking about what they would do or what they have done, etc., rather than keeping the thread geared toward the original poster. A person will ask a random question and everyone goes on and on, often ignoring the OP (in a kind of self-centered way) .

So, my view is that REGARDLESS of what the thread is about, people are going to self-direct the conversation toward how they feel THEY play a part in the whole scenerio. Being the weight debate or whatever.

Just watch Dancing Fire's posts. Regardless of what random (and often silly) question he brings up, people THRIVE on the opportunity to gush about themselves.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 12:37:50 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 10/8/2009 11:00:19 PM

Author: thing2of2

Date: 10/8/2009 10:42:35 PM

Author: musey

Date: 10/8/2009 10:36:30 PM

Author: cindygenit

I don''t know what they eat or don''t eat. I have read perhaps one or two articles where models actually admit that they have to eat little and remember one where the model actually shared her food diary, and literally she ate brown rice and tofu everyday with the occasional champagne.

That sounds delicious!
18.gif
And not all that low-cal.

Ha, ditto!

The thing is, models couldn''t be models if they didn''t have the bone structure and metabolism. You can''t starve yourself into a 24'' waist and a 32'' hip. Models would seriously be dropping like flies if the majority of them starved themselves on a daily basis. And I''m not saying no models have eating disorders-I''m sure some do. But the majority of them are very young and their metabolisms are still working at high speed.

And as hard as it is to admit, it''s healthy to be thin! And I haven''t done the research, but I''m quite sure that more women in the U.S. suffer from obesity than an eating disorder. Where''s the outrage and concern about the obesity epidemic in America? There, I said it-I better go hide from the Real Women Police!

Thing2, you know I love ya girlie, but I''m a little surprised you don''t know more about this subject!

Unfortunately eating disorders come in many forms, from anorexia to binge eating, so ANY WOMAN of ANY SHAPE can be going through an eating disorder. It isn''t just about anorexia/bulimia (of which there is a lot of false information out there) and being the skinniest possible.

In reality though, eating disorders are most often about having psychological hangups with food, or using food as an emotional crutch--by eating or not eating it. And often once a woman has ONE eating disorder, she will usually have more. They also comorbid with multiple other psychological issues that I''m not going into.

My point is this: this image in particular, but also the proportions (thank you musey) are not attainable naturally for 99% of the population. Those who can, are VERY lucky.

Also, for the record, the NUMBER ONE predictor of developing an eating disorder is going on a diet. So be careful if you''re attempting to change your eating habits ladies!

As for obesity, I think that most people who are obese have psychological issues with food, often with problems of binge eating, or bulimia (because bulimia doesn''t help you lose weight, in case you''re interested). But the obesity epidemic we''re going through now is due to many factors. It is part of our evolutionary body makeup for humans to eat as much food and put on as much fat as possible for times of famine. Technology and fast foods (read: high fat, high calorie, high carbohydrate and low vegetable) are making it hard for the everyday person to eat a reasonable healthy amount of calories, and get a reasonable amount of exercise. There are other factors, including genetics, but I think I''ve PSAed enough today...

Yet another well said post.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Also do women really attain to be supermodel thin? I''m guessing a lot of women know that supermodels or even models are a rare breed and it''s pretty much an impossible ideal to attain to. I think most women go for "thin" yet "healthy".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2009 7:13:09 PM
Author: MC
Date: 10/9/2009 4:53:54 PM

Author: Mara

browsing the thread, it always baffles me when i see people acting as though people are personally attacking THEM when an opinion one way or the other is voiced.
Well, generally speaking everyone talks about themselves A LOT when making posts. For example when a person will make a thread, inevitable the responses are mostly people talking about what they would do or what they have done, etc., rather than keeping the thread geared toward the original poster. A person will ask a random question and everyone goes on and on, often ignoring the OP (in a kind of self-centered way) .

So, my view is that REGARDLESS of what the thread is about, people are going to self-direct the conversation toward how they feel THEY play a part in the whole scenerio. Being the weight debate or whatever.

Just watch Dancing Fire's posts. Regardless of what random (and often silly) question he brings up, people THRIVE on the opportunity to gush about themselves.

I have no problem with threads wandering where they will.
I also think the OP has no particular control over (or responsibility to guide) a thread.
We are just a bunch of people talking about stuff.

Too many rules make it more of a stuffy place.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this thread yesterday, but never got a chance to respond! meanwhile the thread kept growing and going off in all directions. The first point I wanted to make (which made me repost the photo) was that the model didn't look simply, "skinny", but distorted! When her photo was edited, her body was made into a shape that was not natural or graceful. It really does look distorted. So the issue here is not just whether models should be this thin (which this model obviously is not in reality). I don't know why any professional advertizing agency let this photo slip through. It shows a very awkward woman!

My daughter is not tall. She is only 5' 5". her arms look like the model's however. (Her "wingspan" is greater than her height.) She has asked about modelling, too. She keeps her weight under 105, but no longer lets it dip down into the low 90's the way she used to. She is thin, but healthy. I don't think modeling is a healthy choice for her because it means constant rejection...no matter how beautiful one is!

AGBF
34.gif

ThePhotoUnderDiscussion.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I think all women are attractive. If she is naturally that size and shape *which I seriously doubt, it looks as though the image is distorted* then who are we to say she isn''t attractive.

Seriously, I don''t know why people start threads like this. Have you considered how hurtful it could be to those people who are naturally very skinny and can''t do a thing about it? Would you have posted a picture of a huge overweight woman and asked the same question? I doubt it as you probably consider that offensive, this type of thread can be just as offensive.

I have been seriously overweight in the past, and I know how hard it can be. I have friends that are underweight through absolutely no fault of their own (I know they eat like horses!) and they tell me they get just as hurt when people tell them how skinny they are.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thought you guys might be interested in this tid-bit....

http://boingboing.net/2009/10/06/the-criticism-that-r.html

--Joshua

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny: "I may be a cynical old grump but I have a suspicion that this is all about money.
The worse women feel about how they look the more money they''ll spend on products, diets and procedures to pursue the impossible and delay the inevitable."

I think you hit the nail on the head. Just look at the different (and higher) standard of attractiveness held for women versus men. Sean Connery can be called sexy (and is) at 70 while it''s a total newsflash that a women over 40 can be attractive, though usually it''s someone like Demi moore who has has work done and her wrinkles erased who is used as an example.

I do feel that women should take care of themselves health wise, and statistics bear out that we keep up with routine medical care, watch what we eat etc than the average male but we give ourselves so much of a harder time.
The number one thing that makes a woman attractive (and this is especially true the older one gets) is that she is comfortable in her own skin and is involved and feels good about what she is doing in the world. All the rest is distraction.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2009 6:22:03 AM
Author: honey22

Seriously, I don't know why people start threads like this. Have you considered how hurtful it could be to those people who are naturally very skinny and can't do a thing about it? Would you have posted a picture of a huge overweight woman and asked the same question? I doubt it as you probably consider that offensive, this type of thread can be just as offensive.

If ads, the fashion industry, TV, films, bombarded us with images of 500-pound women as the ideal of beauty and women risked their health to be 500-pounds by surgically injecting fat into their bodies, and then Ralph Lauren photoshopped a 500-pound supermodel to look like she was 1000-pounds, [while evolution did NOT turn us into fat-storage machines to endure famine] then yes I would have started this thread asking whether this 1000-pound model looked attractive.
Same logic.

I started this thread because I care deeply about human dignity and I recognize how the fashion industry harms women.
Millions of people, both men and women, do not see it.
It can be like telling fish about water.
They just don't get it.
They were born into it, raised in it, now live in it and it is invisible to them.
I think someone here even said clothes hang on a women better when she is slender and has a flat chest.
Nobody challenged it because we all have bought into it.

Women are being brainwashed into believing that being extremely skinny is desirable and possible, even that your self-worth is a function of how slender you are.
It harms women psychologically and physically.
All for what?
So companies can make billions of dollars off them.

And don't even get me started on how corporations got us hooked on fast food and high fructose corn syrup.

Convince people they have a problem and make money selling them the solution.
It's classic marketing.
It worked with antiperspirant about 100 years ago.
Today just about everyone in first-world countries is convinced that the way a person, even one that showers daily, naturally smells at the end of the day is bad.
Mission accomplished.
Cha-ching!

About women who are naturally this skinny?
I don't think any healthy woman could be THIS skinny.
As I have already stated, eat right and exercise and your body will be whatever size it is supposed to be - and that will results in a range of body sizes.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 1:20:15 PM

Date: 10/8/2009 1:09:30 PM
Author: HollyS
My hubby (God bless him) loves a woman with more - - of everything. If he sees bones like ribs, ''chicken'' necks, clavicals, or those sharp little shoulders on an actress/model, it grosses him out. Even Giada''s lollilop head bothers him.

There is nothing beautiful about a skeleton in designer duds. And most men (real men, not designers or the odd little flamers who populate the fashion industry) agree. Gee, I wonder if that''s why everything Playboy is so popular?? Could men like women to sport some curves? Duh.

Wow Holly, for some reason your bigotry never ceases to amaze me! And you don''t even try to hide it!

P.S. My husband (God bless him) loves tall skinny women. Fat rolls and floppy boobs gross him out! And the last time I
looked at one, the women in Playboy aren''t exactly plus size. They''re super
thin with breast implants.
What biogtry???

Who?? Skinny girls? Men?? Designers?? Flamers?? (One can be gay without being a stereotype, you know.)

YOU never cease to amaze me. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why you are always so easily offended by comments that have jack-squat to do with you. It. Is. Not. All. About. You.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2009 1:51:37 PM
Author: canuk-gal

My hubby (God bless him) loves a woman with more - - of everything. If he sees bones like ribs, ''chicken'' necks, clavicals, or those sharp little shoulders on an actress/model, it grosses him out. Even Giada''s lollilop head bothers him.

There is nothing beautiful about a skeleton in designer duds. And most men (real men, not designers or the odd little flamers who populate the fashion industry) agree. Gee, I wonder if that''s why everything Playboy is so popular?? Could men like women to sport some curves? Duh.

Wow Holly, for some reason your bigotry never ceases to amaze me! And you don''t even try to hide it!

P.S. My husband (God bless him) loves tall skinny women. Fat rolls and floppy boobs gross him out! And the last time I
looked at one, the women in Playboy aren''t exactly plus size. They''re super
thin with breast implants.
HI:

Well, Holly, I have not met most men so I cannot speak for them; yet you offer your husbands observation as a generalization. Likewise you give your opinion very decidedly, yet I''ll bear all your disapproval and take it with large with a grain of salt (since for you a small one would not suffice). But since opinions are the name of the game here--my husband likes lean women. Period. And I never met a man who ever told me I needed to on a few pounds--But now I am married--their wives do ask me how to loose unwanted ones....

Another small point, if the fashion industry is so ''influential''--why is obesity an epidemic? Type 2 diabetes seen in youth and younger populations as never before....

cheers--Sharon
Uh, folks. This wasn''t a comment on what YOUR man likes, or what you might look like. It was a comment on most men NOT liking bones. And they don''t. You can be svelte, small, lean, ripped, whatever, without being a bag of bones.

But, yes. If you have a bony clavical, my DH would go "Eeww!" So what? Since I don''t know you, and you don''t know me, why would his opinion bother you?

Amazing. It is always amazing as to just what silly nonsense will perturb some of you.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 2:01:36 AM

P.S. My husband (God bless him) loves tall skinny women. Fat rolls and floppy boobs gross him out! And the last time I looked at one, the women in Playboy aren''t exactly plus size. They''re super thin with breast implants.

What biogtry???

Who?? Skinny girls? Men?? Designers?? Flamers?? (One can be gay without being a stereotype, you know.)

YOU never cease to amaze me. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why you are always so easily offended by comments that have jack-squat to do with you. It. Is. Not. All. About. You.

Yes, Holly-calling gay men odd little flamers is bigoted. And even though I''m not gay or African-American, I can still be offended by bigotry and racism. Most intelligent people typically are offended by both.

That''s great if your husband likes bigger women. However, I think it''s unnecessary to insult thin women in the process of explaining that. The thing is, you don''t ever seem to understand that not everything you say or think is right.

To say real men don''t like thin women is just ridiculous. And to hold Playboy up as an example of that is even more ridiculous considering that almost every woman who poses for the magazine is extremely thin with giant breast implants.

I fail to see how me disagreeing with you is making it all about me. You. Are. Not. Always. Right.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
ORINGINAL TOPIC NOT PERSONAL ISSUES

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2009 11:45:27 AM

Women are being brainwashed into believing that being extremely skinny is desirable and possible, even that your self-worth is a function of how slender you are.
All for what?
Hi Kenny,

I do agree that women are being brainwashed into believing that skinny is beautiful. Unfortunately another insipid belief is being spread along with this message and that is, if you're "lucky" enough to be very thin, then you should have to field all insults thrown your way. Thin women don't have feelings or the right to be hurt by comments made about their bodies. Why should they? They're THIN.

I have heard every insult imaginable in regards to my body. These insults go back as far as I can remember. I have extreme body image issues because of these constant comments about my weight. The ONLY time I was happy about my body was when I was pregnant. I loved it. I felt like a "real woman."

So, there is another side to the coin and comments like "this girl needs a donut, cheeseburger, etc.." are very damaging as well. The fact of the matter is, insults are insults and we all have feelings, regardless of weight.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 12:03:25 PM
Author: House Cat

Date: 10/10/2009 11:45:27 AM

All for what?
Hi Kenny,

I do agree that women are being brainwashed into believing that skinny is beautiful. Unfortunately another insipid belief is being spread along with this message and that is, if you''re ''lucky'' enough to be very thin, then you should have to field all insults thrown your way. Thin women don''t have feelings or the right to be hurt by comments made about their bodies. Why should they? They''re THIN.

I have heard every insult imaginable in regards to my body. These insults go back as far as I can remember. I have extreme body image issues because of these constant comments about my weight. The ONLY time I was happy about my body was when I was pregnant. I loved it. I felt like a ''real woman.''

So, there is another side to the coin and comments like ''this girl needs a donut, cheeseburger, etc..'' are very damaging as well. The fact of the matter is, insults are insults and we all have feelings, regardless of weight.
A good point to end on. Thank you House Cat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results