shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this really a 6ct blue diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
linky to Leon

It doesn''t look like any blue diamond I''ve ever seen.
33.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
To me it looks like a blue topaz or medium aqua...but I wouldn''t second guess mr. merge.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could be irradiated. That''s kind of what it looks like to me.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
It has a rose cut which is pretty interesting, but I also think it looks like a topaz or aqua.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that before, maybe it's a 6 carat blue cushion of some sort and a typo. I seriously doubt that's a blue diamond, even if it's an enhanced photo (TGal thinks he toyed with the color on her padparadscha ring in his vendor shot, so he must enhance pictures). The stone just does not have adamantine luster I would expect from a diamond, nor any fire, brilliance, etc. . . .

Here's a link to another blue diamond he sold

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=486

Blue diamonds tend to be on the grey side, and not that vivid blue (unless irradiated). I have seen natural blue diamonds that are more of a true blue, but they are so incredibly rare that if one was ever found that size, it would be sitting behind ten feet of glass in a museum somewhere.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never seen a blue diamond of that intensity, even in the museums. It looks more like blue topaz.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to know I''m not crazy. I also thought that a 6ct blue diamond would be in a museum, and was looking for that steely shade of blue that I usually see in blue diamonds (not that I''ve seen that many).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, natural blue diamonds are steely gray blue. But irradiated diamonds can be bright blue like blue topaz. If he hasn't messed with his color, it could definitely be irradiated.

Check it
And another
Another

I own 2 4mm dark blue irradiated diamonds. They are a dark blue green instead of the swiss blue this looks on my computer.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And for those who don''t want to click on the link...

6ct Leon blue diamond.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2009 2:49:25 PM
Author: Chrono
I’ve never seen a blue diamond of that intensity, even in the museums. It looks more like blue topaz.
I saw a natural turquoise blue one for sale by Liebisch (sp?), and it was probably maybe 30 points and the price of a fine luxury car. To me, it looked like many of the irradiated blues you see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, if it is 30 points, it is believable but not 6 ct.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for blue topaz. I''ve seen a number of natural and quite a lot of irradiated blue diamonds and this one really doesn''t look "right".

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so can someone explain to me why Leon would lie on his website, and would actually set a 6ct rose cut cushion BLUE TOPAZ?!

It''s LEON. That would absolutely be BENEATH him.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it''s a blue diamond then his photoshopping skills need a lot to be desired!!!
31.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 4:49:44 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Ok, so can someone explain to me why Leon would lie on his website, and would actually set a 6ct rose cut cushion BLUE TOPAZ?!

It's LEON. That would absolutely be BENEATH him.

A-greed! I don't want to call it a lie; rather, I'd like to call it a mistake. However, if GemSelect, an Ebay vendor or any another lesser known vendor made that mistake, you can bet people would call it a lie.

Maybe it is a blue diamond? Cause that is a pretty big mistake to make.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 4:49:44 PM
Author: FrekeChild

It''s LEON. That would absolutely be BENEATH him.
Actually, not true freke. I read on his website ages ago that he will set anything. Even a fake stone if the customer wants to spend the money.

I am assuming you are talking about setting the blue topaz being beneath him, not the lying part.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to make a guess that Leon has posted that as a facsimile of what a blue diamond would look like in that setting. He may have a deal with the diamond holder to sell it as shown when a buyer appears. I noticed it said "request price".

If he does know someone holding a 6ct blue diamond you can bet it''ll cost more than the average house.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 11:01:20 PM
Author: colormyworld
The color of the stone in the leon ring kind of reminds me of the stone in this thread.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-big-blue-diamond.34921/
I agree with CMW. I too have a small (.30) irradiated blue diamond that I bought for a fun RHR many years ago - before PS
emwink.gif
- and it is almost the shade of the photo on Leon''s site. I suspect he may have photoshopped it to add some color to it but it truly could be a diamond...

Otherwise, if it is a topaz, that would be a case against "truth in advertising"?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s an irradiated diamond. Judging from the color my pad took on his site (as TL mentioned, I think the image was photoshopped a bit), an irradiated blue diamond could easily look like that with the photoshopping.

That doesn''t bother me since Leon isn''t in the business on his site to sell stones. He''s in it to sell settings, which the photographs do represent. I would hope that when he does sell colored stones, he sends more accurate photos!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I was talking about the blue topaz. And I imagine that he would set pretty much anything just so long as the client was willing to pay for it, but for some reason I just can't imagine him being thrilled about setting a humble blue topaz (Maybe $150 for a precision cut blue topaz from Barry about that size) in one of his settings.

I think it's an irradiated blue diamond. I've seen diamond melee that color...

ETA: I threw Barry in there because he's the only cutter I think think of off the top of my head that cuts blue topaz. Other cutters won't cut it (so I've been told) either because it's irradiated and not natural, or they just can't make enough money off of it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think it''s an irradiated diamond with a bit of photoshop help.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fancycolordiamond currently has three natural blue diamonds with color that looks like that irradiated blue hue that we are accustomed to.

To me that does not make these three naturals look cheap.

This GIA 12 point Fancy VIVID Greenish-BLUE is $15,000.

1i6071.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
duplicate post, opps.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This GIA VS1 24 point FANCY VIVID GREEN-BLUE is about $48,000

1i6025P.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all 3 have a green-blue hue we associate with treated diamonds.
Clearly this look can be natural to . . . and VERY expensive.

If that 6-carat is natural is MUST be behind 10 feet of bullet-proof glass.

This GIA VS2 28 point FANCY DEEP BLUE-GREEN is about $56,000.

1i6024P.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might believe it to be a 6 ct irradiated diamond, but not an untreated stone. That said, there is no mention of treatment.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 10:46:12 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I''m going to make a guess that Leon has posted that as a facsimile of what a blue diamond would look like in that setting. He may have a deal with the diamond holder to sell it as shown when a buyer appears. I noticed it said ''request price''.

If he does know someone holding a 6ct blue diamond you can bet it''ll cost more than the average house.

Just fyi PP, there is the "request quote" button on every one on Leon''s entries on the site.
I believe it''s a reasonably new feature to make the quoting process easier etc..

That said, funny this thread was started - I was just thinking the same thing to myself the other day..
Perhaps it''s a tourmaline?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an interesting tidbit since we're discussing the cost and value of vivid blue diamonds. I have an issue of this one Jeweler newspaper. One of the huge auction houses (Christies I think) recently had a 6 carat rectangular radiiant vivid blue up for auction. It went for around 7 million if I remember correctly. The above stones that Kenny posted above were the ones I was referencing as around 30 points and costing as much as a luxury car.

I bought a 40 point irradiated blue round on ebay for $30. Wow, talk about differences in prices between natural and artificial color. It looks a lot like the colors on those pieces above.
31.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never seen an irradiated blue that was that clean, cut in that fashion, that shade of blue AND 6cts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results