shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any lavender spinel left for me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A stone cut by Gene would be wonderful. Seven mm is a nice size. If he could send you a picture of the rough to give you an idea of the color would that help? I take it you are nervous about committing sight unseen, in which case, maybe you should pass and keep looking for a stone that you could return if it doesn''t speak to you.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2009 12:22:21 AM
Author: Fly Girl
A stone cut by Gene would be wonderful. Seven mm is a nice size. If he could send you a picture of the rough to give you an idea of the color would that help? I take it you are nervous about committing sight unseen, in which case, maybe you should pass and keep looking for a stone that you could return if it doesn''t speak to you.
great advice from Fly Girl
36.gif
I bet it would look fantastic, I love his cutting style (sure hope to own one his gems one day)

Does he know what kind of colors you are after? maybe the lavender you have in mind might not be the lavender he has? can you do a collage of colors and pass it on to the cutters? (maybe this is redundant - if so, sorry, i hadn''t read through all the posts yet)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Fly Girl and D&T! I never thought to ask for a picture of the rough. I think I will and then post it here and see what you guys think! That''s one of the things I''m worried about, I can''t post pics of the finished product to get help/opinions. Well, I can, I just can''t return it if I don''t think it''s the one for me!

Gene has 2 stones (a tanzanite and sapphire) that I told him are the color I''m looking for..lavender w/blue..wouldn''t hurt to check again tho to make sure, get a pic of the rough and such.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Pack,

Have you talked with Rick Martin?
I have bought some very nice stones through him. Spinel #14 on his site is mine. Sorry, I cannot link; don''t know how. But you can see the price was $496 for .62 carat, so if you are getting excellent cut on excellent color spinel, your price seems quite low in comparison.

You might call him, or email him. He is a pleasure to deal with. I also have a pink sapphire from him with excellent cutting.

Stones photograph so much differently than they actually are. Thus, you might inquire about Spinel #12, for example.

-Pink

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pink! I went and had a look at his site-you''re getting a really pretty stone! What are you going to do w/it?

Well, I sent Gene and email and asked for a picture of the rough, then I can get a bit of help based on that from you guys if you please!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, P.

I have had it for a while.
It is tiny, but I had not seen anything else like it, so I got it anyway. I''m going to use a Legacy type setting for this, to fill it out a bit, I think. My alternate plan is to use it for my daughter''s birthday. She has a milestone one coming up.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Either way it will be a nice piece!

Gene said he''d send me a pic of the rough today, so I''ll be back again with a picture for critique!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds exciting! I don''t have any knowledge about rough, of course. I guess it will be nice for you to see the color, though.
But, mainly,I would trust the facetor. I have bought stones and had the recut done without ever having seen the stone before the recut. If you trust the person you are working with, you can do that. I think you can trust the facetors here.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, I very much agree about being able to trust them here! I did tell him that it''s not that I don''t trust his eyes-I''m hesitant b/c I''ve never bought a stone before, and especially one I don''t even know what it will look like. I feel like a wuss and a bit obsessive with my little pieces of paper balanced on the back of my finger, worried about the size! But it''s a gamble for him too b/c if I were to not take it, he''s out quite a bit of weight-about .75 to 1 ct he said.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
i posted this in the wrong thread, whoops!

not a spinel, but gorgeous color [gem 915]:

link

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had to pop in here to comment on how pleasant and sweet Gene’s lavender cushion cut sapphire is. The colour is soft and gentle yet saturated. The cutting is of course, great.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve looked at it about 10 times now! Argh! Sitting here talking to myself..yes, no, should I wait, goh!

I was just getting ready to post a thread asking if I should start all over and look for *round* 7mm instead of cushion, and if I should look into sapphires instead as well.

Do I go smaller or hold out?

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Gene''s stone looks very nice. FWIW, I have a 6mm round e-ring on a 4.75 finger and am happy with the size. Bezeled it would look even larger. There''s also this spinel at forever gemstones. I haven''t purchased from them, but some folks on here have been happy with their stones. Gene''s sapphire may go quickly, ''cause it is a nice price. Good luck!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I think Gene''s sapphire is gorgeous! If I was in the market for that color stone, I''d snap it up. I guess it just depends if you think it will be big enough.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will he send it to me to look at? Crap I''m about ready to cry, it''s so pretty and I don''t want to lose out b/c it''s smaller than what I wanted.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea about that packrat but I was just coming to tell you about it as well! It''s gorgeous!
30.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
you may want to contact him asap. i assume it will get snapped up fast.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:01:14 PM
Author: karee888
you may want to contact him asap. i assume it will get snapped up fast.
I second that you should get a hold of him ASAP. He might let you take a look at it and he might even have more rough that would cut a bigger stone. My fingers are crossed for you!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
K, I just sent an email! I asked if there was more rough too, just in case!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 5:17:11 PM
Author: packrat
K, I just sent an email! I asked if there was more rough too, just in case!
whooo hoo packrat!
36.gif
this will be exciting!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lordy, my heart''s been up in my throat since Karee posted that! Plus, I emailed Barry a little bit ago and I heard back now-so off to read it!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:48:08 PM
Lordy, my heart''s been up in my throat since Karee posted that! Plus, I emailed Barry a little bit ago and I heard back now-so off to read it!
let us know what barry says!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
He said he''ll go treasure hunting tonight and see if he can do 7mm round instead!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:03:56 PM
He said he''ll go treasure hunting tonight and see if he can do 7mm round instead!
Who said this?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:05:32 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 8/18/2009 6:03:56 PM

Who said this?

Oops, sorry, Barry said that!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
so....did you get the umba sapphire? it''s marked as sold...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif

Ohhhh I feel I might be sick..I was busy playing with the D&T stones again, put the kids to bed..London''s first day of Kindergarten is tomorrow and neither of the kids can settle down..I saw about an hour ago I had an email from Gene that it was available, but I didn''t get it right away..I wanted to get them in bed first. Why oh why didn''t I hold them off for bed for 5 stupid minutes??? Seriously?? God, I think I might cry, and I know that''s pathetic.

I hope at least it was a PS''er who got it so I can see pictures!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
maybe he marked it as sold because you inquired?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a nice thought Karee, but he''d told me it was available and I could put it in my cart and get it thru paypal..and I didn''t do it right away..if he''d put it on hold he would''ve said so, I''m guessing?

7.gif
I sent him an email and asked if he would let me know if it happened to get returned.

I feel so dumb!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 10:49:36 PM
It''s a nice thought Karee, but he''d told me it was available and I could put it in my cart and get it thru paypal..and I didn''t do it right away..if he''d put it on hold he would''ve said so, I''m guessing?

7.gif
I sent him an email and asked if he would let me know if it happened to get returned.

I feel so dumb!
oh, honey
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results