shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any lavender spinel left for me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-those are both gorgeous! I''ve been all over here looking at spinel and haven''t seen that one TL!

I was thinking something like this..I don''t know if it''s too dark for a full bezel or not..Karee''s is from Dan Stair. I like the lavender with blue in it.
Karee888''s spinel

I thought about checking w/Dan to see if he had any more of Karee''s rough, or with Jeff or Gene.

Will be doing Coati''s ring but cushion like AJ''s.

JMcushionbezel01.jpg

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 12:27:33 AM
Author: packrat
Wow-those are both gorgeous! I''ve been all over here looking at spinel and haven''t seen that one TL!

I was thinking something like this..I don''t know if it''s too dark for a full bezel or not..Karee''s is from Dan Stair. I like the lavender with blue in it.

Karee888''s spinel

I thought about checking w/Dan to see if he had any more of Karee''s rough, or with Jeff or Gene.

Will be doing Coati''s ring but cushion like AJ''s.
oh wow!! that''s so cool that you like my stone :) i think it was the first stone i got from dan. it was a looooooong time ago...maybe february or march?

i am flattered
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your budget? I remember when I was looking for my spinel, Jeff had a BIG piece of lavender spinel that he was looking into cutting. I think he said it would probably result in a 4ct piece or so though...Let me look up that email and see if I still have it...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meh. It was blue, and it was around a year ago. I doubt he would still have it lying around.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you heard back from anyone on the spinel?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing from Swala yet. I haven''t emailed any of the others yet-it was so late last night part of me was worried I wouldn''t make any sense. Plus, I wasn''t sure how many cutters are too many to ask at one time. How do you guys do it?

Thanks for checking on that, Freke!

Budget..I figure up to $500..I''m still trying to figure out the size..I have a range of 6-8mm. I''ve been trying to draw it on my hand, and I think 8mm looks great, but then w/the bezel and such, I wonder if it would take up my whole finger so the split shank and wraps wouldn''t be visible? I''ve been stalking Coati''s and AJ''s JM''s for perspective!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you luck in your search. I find that when I have something particular in mind it takes much longer to find it. So frustrating. But I''m sure you will find The Stone. It''s just the wait that''s so hard.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Stone Hunter! The perfect stone is out there, I know it is-I just have to be patient.

So I think I''m going to email Jeff and Gene as well. Is that too many to have on the search at one time?? I''ve been dinking around on their sites the last couple days and I noticed Gene had some stones done in an antique cushion cut. I''m not sure if Jeff does those cuts, but no harm in asking. Is contacting 4 vendors a little like having too many irons in the fire?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I was concerned about that as well when looking for my sapphire a few months ago. I don''t know the proper code of conduct with this sort of thing, but, I had contacted the jeweler I want to have set it (didn''t plan on having them look for me, they just looked and made suggestions), a local jeweler who gets in loose gemstones (who got back to me within three days and turned up with nothing,) and two online cutters. is that too many? I don''t know. If you do find something and go for it, as long as you tell whoever has ''a lookout'' for you that you won''t be needing their services anymonre and to thank them for their time, I think it would be ok... but, like I said, i am rather new at this and don''t know the proper protocol

good luck with the search and hang in there!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply Kas! I''m kinda figuring they each have their own preferred suppliers and such, so the more feelers I put out, the better chance of finding some. I just emailed Gene, and will ask Jeff later too.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have been searching for a specific spinel that goes from blue to purple. Been looking for a year and still nothing
7.gif

I hope you have better luck than me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine took 3 months I think? And I had...Barry, Peter, John B., Jeff, Gene, Dan, and Richard Homer all looking for me at one point or another. I think that was all at the time...They were all super understanding, and very straight forward. I would do business with any of them again, and have for many of them!

I think you need to widen your net.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I agree w/ Freke- it is time to put a few more lines out there. As long as you are up front about having others searching as well, it is not a problem IMO.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard back from Gene already, but haven''t had time to read it yet. I''ve got Jeff, Dan and Peter''s sites up as well, so I''ll prolly contact them all tonight and just run with it and see what I find out!

Charmy, have you contacted these same vendors?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
woohoo!! I hope this goes well! from my experience, the right one will just seem to fall into place...

I''m soooo excited for you (lol, I know you''re just contacting vendors, but, each great journey starts with one small step)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kas! With any luck pretty soon I''ll be asking for opinions on a stone! And then I''ll be back asking for help with wedding bands-haha!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2009 10:00:24 PM
Thanks Kas! With any luck pretty soon I''ll be asking for opinions on a stone! And then I''ll be back asking for help with wedding bands-haha!
As long as you post lots of pictures we''re just fine with that!!
9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gene thinks he might have something!! He''s got one piece he might be able to get a cushion out of, and a couple other pieces he just picked up. All w/nice lavender color he said!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 10:10:41 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Date: 7/27/2009 10:00:24 PM

As long as you post lots of pictures we''re just fine with that!!
9.gif

Ohhh yes, one thing I''ve learned from here is to post lots of pictures!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2009 10:30:32 PM
Gene thinks he might have something!! He''s got one piece he might be able to get a cushion out of, and a couple other pieces he just picked up. All w/nice lavender color he said!
That’s good news. I hope we’ll be seeing some pictures of it here soon.
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono! I''ve been beside myself with excitement all day, wondering if this is it! I''ve not heard back yet on if the piece would make a cushion in the size I''m looking for. If not then I''ll check with Jeff and Dan as well.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! how exciting!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that does sound very good!!
9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! No word today, so will see what tomorrow brings! I''ll be at work tomorrow so that will at least keep me a little more occupied-I can''t run to the computer constantly to check my emails.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve not heard back from Gene yet on if he thinks his rough will cut an antique cushion. I did resend my reply email yesterday morning tho, just in case it got lost in cyberspace the first time!

I contacted Peter today, and he said he *might* be able to squeak 7mm. Do you think that would be a nice enough size? I can''t seem to get away to the jewelry store in town to see sizes on my finger..maybe tomorrow morning! Drawing on my finger just doesn''t seem to cut it. He did say he could probably do a sapphire, but I really want the extra sparkles of the spinel.

Should I contact Jeff and Dan too, just in case?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 6:27:18 PM
I''ve not heard back from Gene yet on if he thinks his rough will cut an antique cushion. I did resend my reply email yesterday morning tho, just in case it got lost in cyberspace the first time!

I contacted Peter today, and he said he *might* be able to squeak 7mm. Do you think that would be a nice enough size? I can''t seem to get away to the jewelry store in town to see sizes on my finger..maybe tomorrow morning! Drawing on my finger just doesn''t seem to cut it. He did say he could probably do a sapphire, but I really want the extra sparkles of the spinel.

Should I contact Jeff and Dan too, just in case?
Gene might have a lot going on - I''ve sent doubles of my emails too after not hearing from him. He''s usually very conscientious about answering, so I wouldn''t worry too much.

What''s your finger size? I like 8mm stones, but my finger size is a 7 (sometimes bigger in the humid heat). I also don''t mind wearing bigger rings, but some ladies prefer something daintier.

And yes, contact Jeff and Dan too. Might as well.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cellentani! Yeah, I figured he was busy so it wouldn''t hurt to resend!

I wear a 4-4.5 size ring.

This picture of Icce''s Micheal E ring is what I''m looking for, for finger coverage or whatever. Hers is 8.5mm, and I''m not sure of her finger size. But then, putting a full bezel on it adds to the width as well (tho I''m not sure how much), so I''m guessing 7mm might be about the right size, and then the bezel will make up the rest?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops. didn''t attach. this one.

Icce Barry stone 8.5mm.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should hunt down BEG''s pics of her rings, I believe she has a size 4ish finger, and a whole variety of different size stones.

My ering is 6.5mm, and my finger size is 6.25ish. Big Blue is 8.3mm on that same finger (although the size ring is a 7).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang..so an hour and a half later..my eyes are sunken into my head from stalking thru Freke''s and BEG''s threads hahaha! *Side note, Freke, again, Big Blue is fabulous and I had to admire the pics all over again. Plus, I saw your wedding dress picture and land sakes it makes me swoon! I can''t wait to see your wedding pictures this winter!*

I cut out little squares of paper, even tho my skill with a ruler and pen is a bit questionable. I''m kinda thinking 7mm would be just fine. I''m guessing the bezel would add 2mm to the width, thereabouts, 1mm on each side.

I emailed Peter back, contacted Jeff, and then 2 minutes later got a reply from Gene! He said the rough really wants to be a trillion, but he can do 7mm cushion. He''d be losing quite a bit of weight, so I''d really need to commit. He said it''s a perfect lavender color. Can I put the price in here? It''s $425. Is that a good price?

Now I don''t know what to do. Should I check again about the color? I''ve never bought a colored stone before, much less sight unseen, so now I''m nervous nelly.

Jeez, I''m like, helpless here. I promise you, I can dress and feed myself! Thank you guys for being so patient and helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results