shape
carat
color
clarity

Inauguration chat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:41:59 PM
Author: ladypirate
Did you guys hear Joe Biden''s remarks at the Commander in Chief ball? It was something about how he started serving the people when he was 29 and he may not be 29 anymore but when you see his wife tonight you''ll think she is.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
That is SO CUTE! Aww!

I agree bebe, they look so in love. It''s quite adorable. They all do, actually. I like how expressive they all are, even though the road ahead is going to be tough.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:41:44 PM
Author: bebe

and don''t they look so ''in love'' ? ;-)

They do. They''re adorable. (And absolutely terrible dancers! Ha! Michelle Obama follows a lead about as well as I do.
2.gif
)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:45:04 PM
Author: WishfulThinking

Did you guys hear Joe Biden''s remarks at the Commander in Chief ball? It was something about how he started serving the people when he was 29 and he may not be 29 anymore but when you see his wife tonight you''ll think she is.

That is SO CUTE! Aww!

I agree bebe, they look so in love. It''s quite adorable. They all do, actually. I like how expressive they all are, even though the road ahead is going to be tough.

I found the clip--it''s in the first minute of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlUS6dIuZo&feature=channel_page

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 10:45:44 PM
Author: pjean

They do. They''re adorable. (And absolutely terrible dancers! Ha! Michelle Obama follows a lead about as well as I do.
2.gif
)
I guess you just don''t get a lot of chances to dance at balls these days!
2.gif
I would be pretty paranoid having to dance on stage in front of the whole world!

bebe, BoA os BIG here (as in headquarters), so it would be devastating to our region if they went under...but surely that cannot happen.
32.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:49:04 PM
Date: 1/20/2009 10:45:04 PM

That is SO CUTE! Aww!

I found the clip--it''s in the first minute of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlUS6dIuZo&feature=channel_page
Thanks for the clip, LP! I don''t have TV so I''m relying on whatever I can scrounge up on the net. My cr*ppy laptop doesn''t seem to want to stream any of the live stuff, so youtube it is.

As an aside, does anyone else thing "Crest Whitestrip Commercial" whenever they see Biden speak? That pearly whites are flashing everywhere and it always makes me laugh. Perhaps I am just easily amused.
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 8:48:51 PM
IMHO, Obama''s watch was too casual for white tie!
Spoken from a true PS''er !!!!
Forget the watch. What was he doing in a tux with white tie? White tie is ultra formal, and for tails only. But then, beaded outfits are for after five, so they both ''broke the rules'' today.

Michelle normally looks quite nice, but neither her suit (too matronly) nor her gown (too ingenue) looked right for her. She always looks wonderful when dressed in Maria Pinto; the simplicity is perfect on her because of her height. I would have liked to have seen her in a dramatic and sexy gown instead of the ultra sweet chiffon number. But she did look gorgeous in that camel/black outfit from yesterday. That had ''Fashionable First Lady'' written all over it. And the earrings she borrowed to wear with that were killer!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Wishful: I''ve thought the same thing about Biden! Those teeth are very Hollywood!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I was at work all day and I missed everything!!!
7.gif

But I''m watching the news right now, and they are talking about how Ted Kennedy is doing. The news anchor just very casually said "President Obama" . . . and I had a moment!!!
face16.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:45:44 PM
Author: pjean

2.gif
)
That''s his white half that can''t dance.
9.gif
3.gif
He seems very sweet, but just a touch nerdy. And nerds aren''t known for their ''cutting a rug'' abilities!

Come to think of it, lots of Presidents have been ''nerdy''! LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, the Bushes. Only JFK and Clinton have had any real suaveness (of the prezies in my lifetime). A lot of smart and ambitious guys are nerds; Bill Gates comes to mind!

I think the First Couple are just bone tired, and barely able to drag their feet around the floor by this time.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
They are so nerdy. And dead on about the nerdy presidents, Holly! You missed Reagan on the "suave" count, by the way.
2.gif
3.gif

I think Biden has a little "suave" in him in addition to those teeth...
41.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard he has a meeting tomorrow at 7:45 AM, that''s rough when they have so many balls to go to. I would be dead tired if I were them. Will the girls go to school tomorrow? I am sure it''s been a long day for them as well. Thank goodness the MIL is living there to help out.
24.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 11:28:55 PM
They are so nerdy. And dead on about the nerdy presidents, Holly! You missed Reagan on the ''suave'' count, by the way.
2.gif
3.gif

I think Biden has a little ''suave'' in him in addition to those teeth...
41.gif
Oh My God, how funny!

Biden''s knock your eyes out white teeth are a little too Hollywood "suave", too slick!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 11:13:00 PM
Author: HollyS
Forget the watch. What was he doing in a tux with white tie? White tie is ultra formal, and for tails only. But then, beaded outfits are for after five, so they both ''broke the rules'' today.
Eh, I don''t care about "rules" ... but I''m not following you on the beaded thing. Her dress & coat today weren''t beaded. It was a lace overlay with white lining. She was wearing a sparkly clasp thing at the neck of her cardigan sweater, but I didn''t see any beads!
33.gif

Was a bit shocked that she wasn''t wearing her wedding band tonight. And would have trimmed the ribbons cinching the girls coats on the diagonal so they wouldn''t have frayed the way they did. And did notice Michelle fidgeting a lot with her coat today & gown tonight -- so they might not have been the most comfie choices ... but I''ll give it to her for selecting a gown by a young American/Taiwanese designer & giving him his first national spotlight.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Well, I thought she looked stunning and the gown was perfect for her.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, my thoughts. The inauguration was awesome. No one has mentioned (unless I missed it) the musical piece written especially for the occassion. LOVED it. Beautifully moving. And to me it seemed to portray the exact mood of our situation. Lighthearted at times, for the celebratory aspect, but yet somber and haunting at others, for the situation we find ourselves. Just phenominal.
36.gif

Good speech, not his greatest, imo. History may well deem it entirely different. I thought the prayers were very good, though the older gentleman got a little goofy at the end. That would be fine in church, but I think I would have left it out for this occasion.
5.gif

Now for the clothes. Her camel outfit was stunning. The yellow gold dress was pretty. I don't care if she broke a rule (I heard from a fashion designer it was 5 o'clock ish). And I couldn't decide on the shade of gloves and shoes. When I first saw them, I thought hmmm, that's different. Then I'd look and think ok, that can work. But I just kept doing that, I never came to a consensus. lol

I hated the white dress. It wasn't flattering to her, she wears other styles much better. I would also bet money she never tried to walk, especially up steps, or dance in it beforehand. If she had, she would have discovered it was not working well. The color was great on her of course.

I agree that Jill looks great in that color, and yes, we've got some great looking people in office!

Here's the closet bling shot I've seen of Michelle's earrings, but I still can't really tell. You sure couldn't miss that whomper of a ring on her finger.
6.gif
I wonder if that's hers, or if she borrowed it....

officialearbling.jpg

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I didn''t see a camel suit. When was she wearing that?

Loved the yellow dress and coat but...I hate to say this but...it didnt'' fit her very well, most notably in the very front (tummy area).

I thought the ball gown was beautiful and the color suits her but she did look awkward. I think she might be one of those tall women who kind of hunches a little because she is so tall. But I still think she is beautiful. Must be hard to be so scrutinized in the spotlight when you are not used to it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 8:12:32 AM
Author: Allisonfaye
Hmmm...I didn''t see a camel suit. When was she wearing that?

Loved the yellow dress and coat but...I hate to say this but...it didnt'' fit her very well, most notably in the very front (tummy area).

I thought the ball gown was beautiful and the color suits her but she did look awkward. I think she might be one of those tall women who kind of hunches a little because she is so tall. But I still think she is beautiful. Must be hard to be so scrutinized in the spotlight when you are not used to it.
I agree, I bet she will grow into her new role beautifully with a little time!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 8:12:32 AM
Author: Allisonfaye

Hmmm...I didn't see a camel suit. When was she wearing that?
She wore that to the "We are One" inaugural concert on Sunday.

btw, what did people think of Aretha's hat? I loved it.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of the girls, these photos are darling.
5.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t like the white dress. I haven''t managed to see a full floor length shot of it. But it was too bride like. Too prom-ish. And also in a way too "young" for my taste. It was frilly and I expected elegant.

I have seen shots and clips of the "gold" outfit she wore for the inauguration ceremony that make the dress look like it''s slightly green. Which might be the reason for the green gloves and shoes. Has anyone else noticed that?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 9:30:44 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
I didn''t like the white dress. I haven''t managed to see a full floor length shot of it. But it was too bride like. Too prom-ish. And also in a way too ''young'' for my taste. It was frilly and I expected elegant.

I have seen shots and clips of the ''gold'' outfit she wore for the inauguration ceremony that make the dress look like it''s slightly green. Which might be the reason for the green gloves and shoes. Has anyone else noticed that?
Yes. And I just saw a pic somewhere where the bow/sash on it really had a green tint (and made the gloves/shoes totally match). It''s weird though, you just don''t see it in every lighting situation/shot.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 11:13:00 PM
Author: HollyS

Michelle normally looks quite nice, but neither her suit (too matronly) nor her gown (too ingenue) looked right for her. She always looks wonderful when dressed in Maria Pinto; the simplicity is perfect on her because of her height. I would have liked to have seen her in a dramatic and sexy gown instead of the ultra sweet chiffon number. But she did look gorgeous in that camel/black outfit from yesterday. That had ''Fashionable First Lady'' written all over it. And the earrings she borrowed to wear with that were killer!
I agree. Didn''t like the gold suit/dress or the white gown on her...she needed something sleek and fitting and the white dress, on her body, made her look frumpy (for a lack of a better word--IMO).

She''s got great style, and for the most part, what she wears is a hit...but she''s definitely no Jackie-O

I do think she and her hubby look great together--like a real team
1.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I thought they looked great.

According to CNN, there have been other First Ladies who wore white to the Inaugural Ball, including Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan.

ETA: According to the designer, he said "It's soft, feminine, but powerful; I wanted to convey all that in a dress. I wanted it to look like a sign of hope."

obamadress1.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 12:15:34 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
I thought they looked great.

According to CNN, there have been other First Ladies who wore white to the Inaugural Ball, including Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan.

ETA: According to the designer, he said ''It''s soft, feminine, but powerful; I wanted to convey all that in a dress. I wanted it to look like a sign of hope.''
Looks like he took his inspiration from the wedding dresses of Claire Pettibone. She would have looked smashing in something sleeker, sexier, and deeply colored. She can be quite stunning when she dresses in sophisticated styles.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I really liked her outfit for the inauguration, but all I could think of when I saw her gown was of the chenille bedspread I had when I was a little girl. She still looked beautiful, but I think something else would have been much more flattering.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I think her gown was just ok. She looked great and he did as well. But I do think the designer, Wu, missed the point she was going to have to dance in his design.
Michelle seemed to have a difficult time moving around in it. It looked like a slight train, dunno, maybe I''m wrong. But she had to kick
it out of her way or else step on it. I don''t recall any past innaugural gowns with trains.

Michelle looked tired at the prayer service this morning. Poor thing.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Definite green going on. I like it better when it looks gold though. The green is kind of a pea-green type of color that is not flattering imo.

The dress was either too long or there was a train going on. It made it hard for her to dance in. I wonder how many dresses she got to choose from? I read the designer didn''t know she was going to pick it till he saw her in it that night.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results