shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m a doctor - Not a gemologist! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
ok, I got this stone from GOG:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1725

they seemed to think it was a pretty nice stone. I was wondering if the depth was a little high. it''s excellent GIA, and should be AGS 0, also in the 1-2 range on the HCA. Hearts and arrows. What''s the verdict?

thanks!

still looking at the bands, lots of possiblities!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's deep.
35.gif
Leon Mege (www.artofplatinum.com) also makes an amazing six prong and you could get those scrumptious HW style claw prongs. Lots of stuff on his site is pave, but he does do amazing plain platinum work.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 8:53:40 PM
Author: mybabylovesjazz

ok, I got this stone from GOG:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1725

they seemed to think it was a pretty nice stone. I was wondering if the depth was a little high. it''s excellent GIA, and should be AGS 0, also in the 1-2 range on the HCA. Hearts and arrows. What''s the verdict?
I think it looks great. well done!

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:30:54 PM
Author: JulieN
check out www.mwmjewelry.com for his version of the six prong...it''s to die for. after spending that much on a nice stone, it should have a worthy setting. he is backed up, though (worth the wait, IMO!) so maybe you can put it in a basic six prong for now and send it to MM when he''s ready?

I like MM''s ring, but 1600 is a little steep. I like the knife-edge Tiffany from WF, but is seems there is a lot of metal around the diamond. Is there anything similar, with a slightly more delicate look?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This is what the WF setting looks like. I also think that while MWM is fine he is not the original either.... and that we ought to consider that other PSers have the SC ring and like it very much.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Great choice in stones! Can''t wait to see what setting you choose.

Question for Matatora... hey girlfriend, HOW did you get the HCA screen in your post???! I have tried and tried to do that without ANY success!!! (And sorry, doc, didn''t mean to high-jack your thread with a computer tech question!!!)
2.gif

Lynn

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 10:36:42 AM
Author: Lynn B

Question for Matatora... hey girlfriend, HOW did you get the HCA screen in your post???! I have tried and tried to do that without ANY success!!! (And sorry, doc, didn''t mean to high-jack your thread with a computer tech question!!!)
2.gif

Lynn
I cheated.
emembarrassed.gif
I used the print screen button and made it a picture in paint.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
The diamond you chose looks YUMMY! I think F/VS2 is a great combination, and just under 1.30 is the perfect size ... Hurray for GOG!
36.gif
Aren''t they are a pleasure to work with?

If you''re partial to the Tiffany knife-edge setting, I don''t think you''re going to do any better in terms of price and/or quality than the ones manufactured at SuperbCert and/or WhiteFlash ...

If you don''t like the look of the 6 prong mount, have you considered this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Fine-Line-Platinum-Solitaire_691.htm#

Or this: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Diamonds-for-an-Eternity_968.htm

ALSO, you may want to consider having the diamond sent from GOG directly to an independent appraiser like David Atlas who can also set the stone for you. The vendor who has the setting can also ship the setting separately to that appraiser ... This way, the appraiser can appraise the loose stone, and check the integrity of the setting before the diamond is set and then, re-appraise the completed ring for insurance purposes. Just a thought.
2.gif

Best of luck to you and again, congratulations on such a beautiful selection!
4.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought WF has a nicer version of the Tiffany setting... not sure if there is any trace on the website, someone had it done on order. They called it ''hand made'' for some reason.

However, I am not sure they will do it with a stone bought elsewhere. Same goes for Superbcert and what not. Mark Morell works that way - no problems there. It could be that Art of Platinum does it for about the same price or a hair less. Between the two... taugh choice
28.gif

Just curious about the E/SI from James Allen... what got it out of the running?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 10:40:26 AM
Author: Matatora

2.gif

Lynn
I cheated.
emembarrassed.gif
Thanks for the info, Mat. After you put it into PAINT, though, then what did you do? Drag and drop to your post? Or something else? Thanks again!
Lynn

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 10:52:41 AM

Date: 4/12/2006 10:40:26 AM
Author: Matatora

2.gif

Lynn
I cheated.
emembarrassed.gif
Thanks for the info, Mat. After you put it into PAINT, though, then what did you do? Drag and drop to your post? Or something else? Thanks again!
Lynn
Not Mat- but after the you paste into Paint, then you "save as" into a jpg, and then you just attach it to your post. Or that is how I would do it :)

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 6:35:17 AM
Author: valeria101

I thought WF has a nicer version of the Tiffany setting... not sure if there is any trace on the website, someone had it done on order. They called it ''hand made'' for some reason.

However, I am not sure they will do it with a stone bought elsewhere. Same goes for Superbcert and what not. Mark Morell works that way - no problems there. It could be that Art of Platinum does it for about the same price or a hair less. Between the two... taugh choice
28.gif

Just curious about the E/SI from James Allen... what got it out of the running?
Ok, well maybe I will order the setting from WF (right now leaning towards the platinum tiff knife edge) and have it set here in Los Angeles. As for the E/SI from James Allen, I got the feeling my girlfriend didn''t want a stone quite that big (1.5), so when I called GOG they seemed to have a pretty nice stone at 1.29 ct, so I went with that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results